• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

With a picture :(

In the German city of Essen, a Volkswagen Golf has fallen eighteen meters down from the top floor of a parking garage. The two passengers, young men aged 16 and 19, were killed.

The police suspect that the driver was stunting: trace research shows that the car drove in a fairly straight line to a deposit on the roof and shot through it. A police spokesman speaks of "daring driving maneuvers".

A resident confirms to the German newspaper BILD that young people more often use the deck of the parking garage to race and stunt.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2425568-twee-stuntende-jonge-duitsers-dood-na-val-van-parkeerdek

This is great thread about all the stupid investments and startups from the era of cheap money:

China bike sharing projects among others:

1653073001213.png

And:

1653073056632.png

Those bikes are a HUGE problem in China. There are fields full of these abandoned bikes all over the country. Many of them are in a good, saleable condition. Not such a 'green' idea.

Team-building hot coal walk ends in disaster in Switzerland after 13 are rushed to hospital with severe burns

Twenty-five people have been treated for injuries after walking on hot coal in northern Switzerland, 13 of whom were hospitalised with severe burns, according to local police.

Emergency services were alerted to injuries at a private event on the Au peninsula on Lake Zurich Tuesday evening, Zurich police said in a statement.

An investigation has been launched into the circumstances surrounding the incident, but it is thought the private event was held as a team-building exercise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...disaster-13-rushed-hospital-severe-burns.html

maximus otter

A group of of self-challenging Christian women set out to hike in the Arizona desert and do some documentary filming in an attempt to get "closer to God." They didn't do their due diligence / preparation, and as a result of the triple-digit temperatures got a little closer than they expected ...
Women's church group rescued from Camelback Mountain after hiking to get closer to God

Eight people were rescued from Camelback Mountain after multiple members of their hiking group began suffering from heat-related illness Thursday afternoon, Phoenix fire officials said.

A women's church group had reportedly started hiking Echo Canyon Trail at around 7:00 a.m. for a retreat. Fire officials say the group consisted of women from Alabama, Tennessee, and California, and that they were filming for a documentary called "Bad Girls Gone God," where they embark on strenuous activities to get closer to God. ...

The hikers reportedly told fire crews that they did not do their research before starting the hike. Several of the hikers were wheeled down the trail, and two had to be brought down by helicopter. Three were hospitalized in stable condition. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/a...amelback-mountain-due-to-heat-related-illness

A group of of self-challenging Christian women set out to hike in the Arizona desert and do some documentary filming in an attempt to get "closer to God." They didn't do their due diligence / preparation, and as a result of the triple-digit temperatures got a little closer than they expected ...

FULL STORY: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/a...amelback-mountain-due-to-heat-related-illness
I live in the Phoenix Valley, and read about this in the local news. I'm glad they were all rescued and survived. I also hope they are presented with their rescue bill and pay it.

...it is now 6 pm and the temperature has finally dropped to 105.

I live in the Phoenix Valley, and read about this in the local news. I'm glad they were all rescued and survived. I also hope they are presented with their rescue bill and pay it.

...it is now 6 pm and the temperature has finally dropped to 105.
oh yeah, I've heard some real horror stories about people who just... went sightseeing and... OOPS!

A man from Michigan - apparently skeptical of heat exhaustion being blamed for the Gerrish / Chung family deaths on a California trail last August - decided to investigate the trail himself in summer heat. He came close to personally proving the viability of the heat exhaustion verdict.
Michigan man rescued from California trail where family died in Mariposa County

A tourist from Michigan who tried to retrace the steps of a family who died during a grueling summer hike in Northern California had to be rescued last week after getting lost, a frustrated sheriff said.

The man, who has not been identified, was reported missing near the trail in Mariposa County where officials last year found the bodies of Jonathan Gerrish, his wife, Ellen Chung, their 1-year-old daughter Aurelia "Miju" Chung-Gerrish and their dog Oski, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said in a statement posted on social media.

The mysterious deaths grabbed international headlines. ...

After a two-month investigation, authorities determined the family and their dog died of extreme heat exhaustion after running out of water while hiking last year on a sunny August afternoon when temperatures reached 109 degrees Fahrenheit (43 Celsius) in the steep mountain terrain.

On June 29, a hiker called authorities after noticing the man’s car was still parked at the trailhead. The caller had met the tourist from Michigan a day earlier when he told him he was investigating the family’s deaths because he found the cause of death "odd," Briese said.

A search and rescue crew ... found the man later that day.

The tourist was described as being in his mid-60’s, approximately 5’6" and 200 pounds, and wearing sweatpants "on some of the hottest days we have seen this year," Briese said.

The man began his hike in an area with a closed gate and marked with a "CLOSED" sign. He had finished the water from the two one-gallon water containers he was carrying and had to drink water from the nearby river, he said.

After rescuers found him, the man wanted to know if there had been updated algae testing on the water, Briese said.

He was treated for dehydration and badly blistered feet before he left the area in his rental car against medical advice, Briese said. ...

"To have someone purposely put themselves in danger, using vital resources and potentially putting the safety of our staff in danger all to try and prove us wrong is maddening and quite frankly sickening," he added.
FULL STORY: https://www.ktvu.com/news/michigan-...ia-trail-where-family-died-in-mariposa-county

A South African man chugged an entire bottle of Jaegermeister to win a bet / challenge worth £10. He was transported to a local clinic, where he was pronounced dead.
Man dies after drinking a whole bottle of Jaegermeister in two minutes in bid to win £10 in South African liquor store challenge

A man has died after drinking an entire bottle of Jaegermeister in just two minutes to win a £10 bet at a South African liquor store.

The local resident, who has not been named, drank the whole bottle of the 35 per cent spirit before collapsing.

He visited the store in Mashamba village in Limpopo and took part in the challenge to see who could drink a bottle the fastest. ...

The prize was R200 in cash, the equivalent of around £10. ...

After falling to the ground, the man, aged between 25 and 30, was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead. ...

An inquest has now been opened into his death.

Footage shared online shows people cheering and clapping as he gulped down the German digestif.

After finishing, he was seen swaying side to side, propped up by a friend. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rmeister-two-minutes-win-10-South-Africa.html

Seriously? did he really think the police were hiding something?
Yes. Yes he did.

On June 29, a hiker called authorities after noticing the man’s car was still parked at the trailhead. The caller had met the tourist from Michigan a day earlier when he told him he was investigating the family’s deaths because he found the cause of death "odd," Briese said.

I wonder if he still finds it "odd"? :rolleyes:

A South African man chugged an entire bottle of Jaegermeister to win a bet / challenge worth £10. He was transported to a local clinic, where he was pronounced dead.
I wonder what the actual cause of death was then? I doubt the alcohol would have acted that quickly? Is there some kind of other toxicity in the Jagermeister?

I wonder what the actual cause of death was then? I doubt the alcohol would have acted that quickly? Is there some kind of other toxicity in the Jagermeister?

It's entirely possible, even probable if the alcohol hits the bloodstream readily, and / or the chugger makes the mistake of trying to stay awake.

Back in the Seventies I met a young lady whose sideline was performing this stunt (with fifths of brandy) for bets a lot bigger than the mere £10 involved in this South African incident. She was relatively small and thin, so I had to ask her how she managed to survive. She told me there were two critical elements in pulling off the stunt. The first was packing her gut with starchy carbs to absorb the alcohol and slow the absorption rate. The second was to pass out immediately so her accomplice could remove her to a safe place to sleep for the next 12 - 24 hours (minimum).

There's quite an array of herbs and flavourings in that drink. Alcohol aside, he may have been allergic to at least one of those.

I saw a news report yesterday of Police having to break into an Audi because someone had left their dog in there. It’s was at 11.30am the hottest time of the day.

How long have people been saying don’t leave dogs in hot cars? Forever!

I can only assume these people think they are special and know better than everyone else and vets (as in animal doctors)! ‘No my dog will be fine’

It makes me so angry that people are still doing this!

I saw a news report yesterday of Police having to break into an Audi because someone had left their dog in there. It’s was at 11.30am the hottest time of the day.

How long have people been saying don’t leave dogs in hot cars? Forever!

I can only assume these people think they are special and know better than everyone else and vets (as in animal doctors)! ‘No my dog will be fine’

It makes me so angry that people are still doing this!
It's sickening, they leave their young babies and animals in the car, windows rolled up, 95 degrees outside.
Whenever I see this, I immediately call law enforcement.

Back