• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

Some 'Darwin Awards' candidate drank a full bottle of vodka in five seconds (iirc) a few years ago and wondered why he turned up dead.

I found this on Facebook.
F9F9A95F-BBCE-4642-ACFD-AA57BF3D25EF.jpeg

A drunk man lies down in protest out front of the hotel that won't give him access to his room as he'd demanded. It turns out he was at the wrong hotel.
Drunk one-man protest after not being let into room ended when he got wrong hotel

A drunk man who lay down in front of a hotel in protest because staff wouldn’t let him to his room was moved on by police – because he had the wrong hotel.

Police responded to reports of an intoxicated man lying in protest on the pavement outside of the Premier Inn in Bournemouth in the early hours of Sunday morning.

In protest against being refused what he thought was his room, the man decided to lie down on the pavement outside the hotel – until he was stopped by Dorset police.

They then helped him to his hotel – nearby. It is not known which hotel he was meant to be at, but Bournemouth has at least five Premier Inns. ...
FULL STORY: https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/19/bour...side-premier-inn-was-at-wrong-hotel-17025632/

Very slightly veering away from human stupidity.... This was my dog yesterday. It was 40 degrees outside (somewhat less inside as I have tiled floors, but certainly well into the 30s). She kept burrowing under her blanket and then emerging a few moments later panting and staring at me as though I had been responsible for the ensuing heat.
Tealhot.jpg

Man (40) arrested after fatal accident with water-scooter

The police have arrested a 40-year-old man after the collision between two personal water-scooters yesterday in Friesland. A 49-year-old man from the municipality of Súdwest-Fryslân was killed. The suspect is from the same municipality. He was on the other watercraft when the two collided in IJlst. The man is suspected of involvement in the accident. What exactly happened is still unclear, writes Omrop Fryslân. The police have spoken to witnesses and are still looking for people who have made images.

Due to the warm weather, it was busy at the lake yesterday. According to the police, the accident had a major impact on bystanders. Victim support is offered to people who saw the accident happen.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2437544-man-40-aangehouden-na-dodelijk-ongeluk-met-waterscooter

1658428936438.png

Paul , (exhausted type) @RoboticoEl
Hi. My name is Paul. I have a PhD and tenure. Today I decided to test if a bottle of super glue was open by squirting it into my hand.
Then I tried to clean my hand by wiping it on a box.

This North Carolina woman apparently wanted to burn down her ex-boyfriend's house. She came close to succeeding ... in burning down the wrong house.
Sheriff: NC woman seeking revenge on ex-boyfriend set fire to wrong house

A North Carolina woman apparently seeking revenge on her ex-boyfriend tried to set fire to a house owned by someone else, according to a sheriff's office.

The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office said in a report that a homeowner in Gold Hill was awakened Friday by a neighbor who saw a woman trying to set fire to the house. There were bundles of wood and a fire on the front porch and deputies found a jug of oil that they say was used to start the fire.

As the homeowner went to get a garden hose, he saw burning pieces of wood around a propane tank. The garden hose didn’t work because the woman had apparently used a sealant to block the flow of water ...

The homeowner grabbed a rifle and confronted the woman, who was holding one of his dogs on a leash. With law enforcement and emergency personnel approaching, the woman drove off ...

Deputies arrested the woman and charged her with felony first-degree arson, assault with a deadly weapon, and larceny of an animal. Bond was set at $101,500. ...

Investigators estimate the home sustained approximately $20,000 in damage.
FULL STORY: https://www.wral.com/sheriff-woman-intent-on-revenge-set-fire-to-wrong-house/20390677/

US man starts wildfire by 'trying to burn a spider'​

001c3173-800.jpg

A Utah man was detained this week after he started a wildfire when he tried to kill a spider using a lighter, the local sheriff's office said.

Cory Martin, 26, "was found where the fire started and told police he tried to kill a spider with a lighter and in the process started a fire," the Utah County Sheriff's office said in a Facebook post.

The US state has been in the grip of a severe drought, along with much of the country's southwest, as part of a two-decade phenomenon scientists say is being exacerbated by climate change.

The fire, sparked on Tuesday near the city of Springville, an hour south of the state capital Salt Lake City, covered 60 acres and was 90% contained by yesterday, according to Utah Fire Info.

Via RTE News

Plus, Jagermeister is horrible. Exporting it proved that Germans do have a sense of humour.
I've a tiny bottle of Underberg, which was given to me as a "herbal" help (not cure) for headaches, hang-overs etc. (on it's label are the words 'To feel bright and alert')
Herbs etc. on the scrunchy paper label, along with the fact it's 44% ABV. In a 20 ml bottle.
I dunno if it is German, but - honestly - used in the way I was recommended (an egg cup or shot glass of water, two drops, drink and wait for a minute), it bloody works!

Another guy who thinks he;s Idris Elba.

The authorities in Ghana are investigating after a man was mauled to death by a lion after he climbed into a zoo enclosure in the capital, Accra.

The man, described as middle-aged, died from his injuries after Sunday's attack, officials say. The motive of the intruder is yet to be determined, according to a statement by wildlife authorities. The victim's body was retrieved from the zoo and taken to a local morgue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-62712476

A 10-year-old boy was apparently allowed to handle an RPG launcher at a Ukrainian fun fair. Then he pulled the trigger ...
'Ten-year-old boy' blasts Ukrainian funfair with an RPG after he was allowed to handle the weapon - injuring 15 people and sparking panic as families thought Russians were attacking

Two Ukrainian soldiers are being investigated after allegedly bringing an RPG to a funfair exhibition and handing it to a ten-year-old, who fired the rocked and injured at least 15 people.

A video from state broadcaster Suspilne shows the ensuing panic as people fled in Chernihiv fearing the northern-Ukraine city was under Russian attack.

But it wasn't a new bombardment from Vladimir Putin's forces. In fact, local children had been allowed to handle a deadly rocket-propelled grenade launcher with devastating consequences. ...

A ten-year-old boy pulled the trigger, reports said, leaving him and his 12-year-old brother needing urgent medical care.

Three were injured as the anti-tank launcher — an exhibit at the fair — exploded. ...

'One of the servicemen during the demonstration of weapons allowed the child to pick up an equipped rocket-propelled grenade (RPG-26) and pull the trigger,' said Ukrainian newspaper Pravda, quoting sources from Ukraine's State Bureau of Investigation. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ian-funfair-RPG-allowed-handle-Chernihiv.html

Wasn't there a case a while back where someone burnt down his own house because he was trying to burn a spider?
It’s the only way to be sure…….although nuking the site from orbit could also be a valid alternative if you have the ability to do so!

an empty tube? sure? sounds fun... a tube LOADED with a LIVE warhead?!?!!?!?!

Having the kid need medical treatment tracks actually. The exhaust from the rocket itself can cause serious burns. Who needs an explosion when you get burned by rocket exhaust? :D Although... I have to wonder if the person firing accidentally hit the ground next to their location?

Depending on the RPG, it being loaded might not be as obvious as the classic ones with a cone shaped-charge warhead. The Carl Gustav, f'r instance has the projectile inside.
However, handling it you'd know it was loaded because of the weight difference. After all, on your shoulder is the aiming and ignition system - the delivery charge and warhead makes up a lot of weight. I say this, not for the kid but whoever handed him the thing.
The exhaust from the rocket itself can cause serious burns. Who needs an explosion when you get burned by rocket exhaust?
Yup. First thing you learn is the bloody item is dangerous at both ends but with different ranges.

Depending on the RPG, it being loaded might not be as obvious as the classic ones with a cone shaped-charge warhead. The Carl Gustav, f'r instance has the projectile inside.
However, handling it you'd know it was loaded because of the weight difference. After all, on your shoulder is the aiming and ignition system - the delivery charge and warhead makes up a lot of weight. I say this, not for the kid but whoever handed him the thing.

Yup. First thing you learn is the bloody item is dangerous at both ends but with different ranges.

RPG-26 is a one-shot disposable antitank launcher; it consists of a rocket projectile contained in a fibreglass-coated aluminium tube. There’s no visible projectile as in RPG-7.

maximus otter

RPG-26 is a one-shot disposable antitank launcher; it consists of a rocket projectile contained in a fibreglass-coated aluminium tube. There’s no visible projectile as in RPG-7.

maximus otter
Hmm yeah same with AT-4s. The training I got on them didn't have live ammo, and the instructor mentioned the easiest way to tell if it's live is to feel the weight when holding it.

Still though... in the MILITARY, being officially trained in how to use them properly as a soldier, we never used live ammo.

This young man - suspected of being a climate change activist - invaded the Laver Cup tennis court and started a small fire on the court surface. In doing so, he also managed to set fire to his arm - making himself cry out and look like a total fool. He was quickly carried off by security personnel.

SelfImmolatingProtester-2209.jpg
Bizarre moment idiot sets himself on FIRE before getting carried out by security at Laver Cup at O2 Arena

The person screamed in agony as incredible video footage and pictures showed his right arm engulfed by flames.

It's believed the yob was a climate change protester.

The moment happened before the start of the second set of Stefanos Tsitsipas’s 6-2 6-1 win over Diego Schwartzman

Stunned onlookers watched on as he stormed the court before sitting down by the net. ...

The man's arm was then quickly covered by a powerful blaze of fire.

And he seemed to be in major pain as he squirmed to brush the flames from his skin.

Luckily for the man, he managed to stop the fire from spreading along his body.

He then sat completely still as security charged towards the scene before apprehending him.

And after extinguishing the flames that remained, security hauled the yob off the court as the audience booed loudly. ...
FULL STORY (With Video & More Photos): https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19901499/fan-fire-laver-cup-02-arena-tennis/

Back