• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

"First played in 1902, Korfball is a ball sport, with similarities to netball and basketball.
It is played by two teams of eight players with four female players and four male players in each team.
The objective is to throw a ball into a netless basket that is mounted on a 3.5 m high pole."

I wonder why it never gained popularity?
Oh that's right - it sounds terrible.
Somebody back in 1902 decided to smoosh together different sports but what they failed to take into consideration is something I call 'The Sofabed Problem'.
The premise of which is that a sofabed, whilst trying to be two different things simultaneously, is no good at either.
Sofabeds ultimately are uncomfortable to sit on, and impossible to get a good nights sleep on.
Mnnnnnnnnnnnn ... the non-popular sport of Quiddich, formed after the rise of popularity in Harry Potter books.
I will admit to an interest in trying to organise 'live action' games of jugger - after the low-key 80's film with Rutger Hauer "Salute of the Jugger". It did happen ... but didn't take off.

Mnnnnnnnnnnnn ... the non-popular sport of Quiddich, formed after the rise of popularity in Harry Potter books.
I will admit to an interest in trying to organise 'live action' games of jugger - after the low-key 80's film with Rutger Hauer "Salute of the Jugger". It did happen ... but didn't take off.
wasn't there some central american sport that was kinda like soccer, but with the goal being a stone ring attached to a wall?

For that one I believe you would hit the ball with your elbows, knees or head. It was an aztec thing.

For that one I believe you would hit the ball with your elbows, knees or head. It was an aztec thing.
I seem to recall that it was in the film 'Apocalypto'. But I might have misremembered.

Oddly I believe it was if you won that your team would be sacrificed.

That all just sounds a bit 'Crystal Maze' to me.
(for those unfamiliar with the TV show, it was based inside a series of 'areas' each containing rooms which had different timed challenges inside them. A team of 5 would work they way through the areas selecting several rooms in each, before a final 'dome' in which they could attempt a final challenge to win prizes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Maze)
1677926530321.png

This is what I often assert when I hear someone moaning "Of course, you can't do that 'cos of health and safety gone mad!"
Health and Safety rules are common sense - but the reason it needs to be spelled out is because a lot of people don't have common sense. If you tell someone "don't do that - it's dangerous", you hear the reply "Don't tell ME what to do!"

This is what I often assert when I hear someone moaning "Of course, you can't do that 'cos of health and safety gone mad!"
Health and Safety rules are common sense - but the reason it needs to be spelled out is because a lot of people don't have common sense. If you tell someone "don't do that - it's dangerous", you hear the reply "Don't tell ME what to do!"
In my job there are so many Health and Safety rules it's a wonder anything gets done. :chuckle:

People abide by them because otherwise we'd all be maimed or dead in short order. :nods:

It's not just about Health & Safety - it's about 'appreciating' the level of public understanding.
Example 1: When we made dog treats for sale, we used human-grade ingredients (usually purchased from local shops etc.) One we had them in our kitchen - which had to be for animal food production only - they became 'animal by-products' and had to be disposed of as such.
Now, this seperation of 'animal food' kitchen and 'human' kitchen may sound silly but the regulations surrounding our industry applied to both small producers as well as the massive mass-production factories - most of the latter using some very hazardous materials. It was this potential of cross-contamination that dictated the regulation.
Example 2: As part of our inspections carried out by both DEFRA and Trading Standards, we had to have a clear and easy-to-read sign declaring that our products were for animal consumption only. Sure, by law our products had to be safe for human consumption, and our shop branding combined with the surroundings indicated that it was a supplier of dog food. But several times, customers came in and hadn't realised it was all for dogs. One notable incident was when a surly bloke walked in, asked for a piece of clearly-labelled "Dog Chocolate Brownie", paid the money and walked out eating it. :rofl:

It's not just about Health & Safety - it's about 'appreciating' the level of public understanding.
Example 1: When we made dog treats for sale, we used human-grade ingredients (usually purchased from local shops etc.) One we had them in our kitchen - which had to be for animal food production only - they became 'animal by-products' and had to be disposed of as such.
Now, this seperation of 'animal food' kitchen and 'human' kitchen may sound silly but the regulations surrounding our industry applied to both small producers as well as the massive mass-production factories - most of the latter using some very hazardous materials. It was this potential of cross-contamination that dictated the regulation.
Example 2: As part of our inspections carried out by both DEFRA and Trading Standards, we had to have a clear and easy-to-read sign declaring that our products were for animal consumption only. Sure, by law our products had to be safe for human consumption, and our shop branding combined with the surroundings indicated that it was a supplier of dog food. But several times, customers came in and hadn't realised it was all for dogs. One notable incident was when a surly bloke walked in, asked for a piece of clearly-labelled "Dog Chocolate Brownie", paid the money and walked out eating it. :rofl:
It's what he did on the pavement later that caused the trouble. :chuckle:

Dog Chocolate Brownie - reminds me of the Dog Oil that I used to see on sale on the market.

It was ostensibly for massaging racing dogs' joints but humans with bad knees swore by it. :nods:

AFAIK 'dog food' (et al) has to be able to be eaten by humans as well, by law. Especially the tinned stuff.
Or is that one of those 'things someone told me'?
My lips are sealed.

Trev: By law, all animal food, including the tinned stuff, has to be safe for human consumption. This is in case of accidental or even intentional consumption. You mayn't want to know what it is made of though - it just wouldn't kill you. :)
Scarg: No-one, human or canine, has ever thrown up after eating our products. In fact, the recipe for a dog-safe chocolate cake is exactly the same as for the human version: replace the chocolate with carob powder, no ingredients or additives that can harm dogs. I'd like to point out that we were interviewed on NottsTV and brought on a chocolate cake for display. When the question was asked about humans eating it, we, the presenter, and two other guests had a peice while on air and loved it!

Why would a dog want a chocolate cake?
Have you ever had a dog? Most love sweet things. They probably don’t get too much sweet stuff in their diet so it’s a treat.

When I was a child we had a dog which ate a whole box of chocolate liqueurs while we were at church one Sunday. Came back to find he’s snuffled the lot. I think it must’ve been around Christmas - that’s the only time of year we’d have had liqueurs in the house. I don’t think we knew at the time chocolate can be poisonous for dogs. He survived it anyway.

One of mine had a strong sweet tooth.

I once went to an Ann Summers party and being then married to a teacher at a local high school I kept the anecdotes clean and bought no sex aids, only a packet each of chocolate bums and jelly boobs.

Left the goodies in the hall where Rocky found them and ripped the bags open in the night, leaving the floor strewn with slightly risqué confectionery. :rolleyes:

Actually, they can't have been all that appetising.

Small act of stupidity:
View attachment 64241
Is this not a large-ish act of stupidity on the part of the urban designers who lined the canal (or whatever ilk of waterway it is) with something pedestrian friendly like these stairs and not some kind of railing? Where are the bridges? If the water looked like water, what are the locals expected to do there? What does one do with stairs if not walk up and down them? These questions of mine would hearken back to the discussion of and my imbecility regarding the London ferry landing approach that was mistaken for a bridge across the Thames, EXCEPT: This canal does not compare favorably with Canal St Martin in Paris, which is recognizable as water (where the water shows) and provides a pleasant park environment for the urban dweller (and tourist). And you have to try hard to fall in.

Back