• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

Is this not a large-ish act of stupidity on the part of the urban designers who lined the canal (or whatever ilk of waterway it is) with something pedestrian friendly like these stairs and not some kind of railing? Where are the bridges? If the water looked like water, what are the locals expected to do there? What does one do with stairs if not walk up and down them? These questions of mine would hearken back to the discussion of and my imbecility regarding the London ferry landing approach that was mistaken for a bridge across the Thames, EXCEPT: This canal does not compare favorably with Canal St Martin in Paris, which is recognizable as water (where the water shows) and provides a pleasant park environment for the urban dweller (and tourist). And you have to try hard to fall in.
@uair01 is located in Rotterdam, where the canals came first and people are used to them.

Is this not a large-ish act of stupidity on the part of the urban designers who lined the canal (or whatever ilk of waterway it is) with something pedestrian friendly like these stairs and not some kind of railing? Where are the bridges? If the water looked like water, what are the locals expected to do there? What does one do with stairs if not walk up and down them? These questions of mine would hearken back to the discussion of and my imbecility regarding the London ferry landing approach that was mistaken for a bridge across the Thames, EXCEPT: This canal does not compare favorably with Canal St Martin in Paris, which is recognizable as water (where the water shows) and provides a pleasant park environment for the urban dweller (and tourist). And you have to try hard to fall in.
Canals never have railings. Otherwise how would you have moved the boats in the olden days?

I'm not entirely sure that Hughes isn't playing upon our perception of differences rather than the reality.

I work on some very large scale outdoor events - and also (although maybe not so much these days) at height. I've been told by more than a couple of Australians I've worked with that UK regulations for such events are actually less draconian than those in Australia. I have to admit that I was surprised myself - and it may very well be relative to the specific work areas involved, and there may be differences between states.

In the last three years (not counting a year or so around the pandemic) I've worked with Aussies, Kiwis, Americans, Belgians, Swedes, Danes, French - in areas ranging from rigging, stage installation, the construction of enormous scaffolding structures, on-site fabrication (timber and metalwork) - and there's a general consensus that, at least in our industry, the UK system compares pretty favourably.

Small act of stupidity:
View attachment 64241

In this instance I suppose the only thing I'd really question is why you would put the hazard sign in the hazard?

In this instance I suppose the only thing I'd really question is why you would put the hazard sign in the hazard?
Looks like a hazard to shipping. :chuckle:
It's probably to do with the height of the sign needed to be seen from further back behind the steps.

I notice it's winter. Come summer, I bet local workers sit on those steps to have lunch, chat, benefit from loose ties. :)

Reminds me of the famous steps outside Lime Street Station in Liverpool. They stretch around the corner of the hill and are designed for passengers and passers-by to sit on. There's a subtle gradient so a whole family could sit in a line at a height that suits each.

When working in Liverpool I look forward to taking a snack on the Steps. There's a spot I like, the right seat-height, opposite the buskers, handy for my train, away from the busy road. An open space that feels very safe. :)

Yeah, it looks like red tarmac, but it's water covered in something.

kind of looks like standard eutrophication (seems too densely particulate for fallen leaves to me). I don't recall seeing that reddish colour, mind - green is the colour I associate with the process. Maybe it's some sort of algae bloom mixing with the duckweed - or the latter's dying off and changing colour as it does so.

Have to admit that I once tried to walk across a canal, after an evening of vigorous refreshment in the famous Shroppie Fly.

Looked both ways and began stepping down the noticeably steep kerb to the tarmac on the lane, or as it's properly known, 'the water in the Shropshire Union Canal'.
Some hero grabbed my jacket and saved me from an early bath. :bthumbup:

The Fly backs directly onto the canal and there's no fence. The drowning rate is nil. Astounding.

kind of looks like standard eutrophication (seems too densely particulate for fallen leaves to me). I don't recall seeing that reddish colour, mind - green is the colour I associate with the process. Maybe it's some sort of algae bloom mixing with the duckweed - or the latter's dying off and changing colour as it does so.
The canals in the Potteries used to be bright orange because of industrial by-products dumping.

I'm not entirely sure that Hughes isn't playing upon our perception of differences rather than the reality.

I work on some very large scale outdoor events - and also (although maybe not so much these days) at height. I've been told by more than a couple of Australians I've worked with that UK regulations for such events are actually less draconian than those in Australia. I have to admit that I was surprised myself - and it may very well be relative to the specific work areas involved, and there may be differences between states.

In the last three years (not counting a year or so around the pandemic) I've worked with Aussies, Kiwis, Americans, Belgians, Swedes, Danes, French - in areas ranging from rigging, stage installation, the construction of enormous scaffolding structures, on-site fabrication (timber and metalwork) - and there's a general consensus that, at least in our industry, the UK system compares pretty favourably.
Well, being a comedian for a living, I suppose he does have to embellish his stories somewhat.

And don't get me wrong, I look back at some of the stupid things I did- like standing at the top of a double extended ladder on the gable end of a house while using a drill (both hands) to knock off render and wish the laws had been stricter back then. I don't suppose anyone would have cared much if I had fallen off- I'd have just been replaced by another idiot person.

Well, being a comedian for a living, I suppose he does have to embellish his stories somewhat.

And don't get me wrong, I look back at some of the stupid things I did- like standing at the top of a double extended ladder on the gable end of a house while using a drill (both hands) to knock off render and wish the laws had been stricter back then. I don't suppose anyone would have cared much if I had fallen off- I'd have just been replaced by another idiot person.
Yup, it's about protecting people from themselves, and from unscrupulous employers.

Canals never have railings. Otherwise how would you have moved the boats in the olden days?
Canals are actually UN safe if you can't get out of them at a moment's notice. falling in... you're not falling far, and a lot of people can get out with no assistance at all. It's kinda like feeling the need to put signs to keep people from tripping on curbs. Yes, tripping on a curb can kill you, but it's so rare people rarely think twice.

@uair01 please put us out of our misery and tell us what the red stuff is.:chuckle:
OK, I did some digging to satisfy our mutual curiosity. The story is truly Fortean :)

Lilith went under in the icy water of artwork resembling gravel track: 'Life-threatening'
Lilith (28) has an appointment in an Utrecht business park and her phone sends her across the street. Just a quick crossing, she thinks. But when she takes a step on 'the grass', she goes under in ice-cold water. She panics so much, she has an epileptic fit. And she is not the only one to end up in the water; it happened to three more people last week.

Artist angry at people getting wet by artwork resembling gravel track: 'Own fault'
Insane, the creator of the water artwork in Utrecht thinks, is the municipality's plan to put thirteen warning signs in it. Last week, three people went under because they thought it was a gravel track they could walk on because of water plants. "People should just look out of their eyes."

Utrecht - Around the water artwork on Utrecht's Euclideslaan, the municipality of Utrecht has placed crowd barriers. Last week, several people fell into the water because they thought it was a gravel field. The culprit is the large duckweed fern, which has the colour of gravel.
The plants have since been removed from the water by the municipality. But plant expert Stef van Walsum tells the AD that it is a matter of time before the water surface is fully overgrown again: "It is a kind of weed. If the municipality wants to prevent people from falling in, the plants will have to be removed all the time. Fat chance that the water will close up again this summer," he told the newspaper.
Earlier, the municipality put up warning signs to ensure people did not fall into the water. But that was against the wishes of Karin Daan, the creator of the artwork. The municipality and Daan will soon talk to each other to find a solution. Until then, the fences and signs will remain.

OK, I did some digging to satisfy our mutual curiosity. The story is truly Fortean :)

Lilith went under in the icy water of artwork resembling gravel track: 'Life-threatening'
Lilith (28) has an appointment in an Utrecht business park and her phone sends her across the street. Just a quick crossing, she thinks. But when she takes a step on 'the grass', she goes under in ice-cold water. She panics so much, she has an epileptic fit. And she is not the only one to end up in the water; it happened to three more people last week.

Artist angry at people getting wet by artwork resembling gravel track: 'Own fault'
Insane, the creator of the water artwork in Utrecht thinks, is the municipality's plan to put thirteen warning signs in it. Last week, three people went under because they thought it was a gravel track they could walk on because of water plants. "People should just look out of their eyes."

Utrecht - Around the water artwork on Utrecht's Euclideslaan, the municipality of Utrecht has placed crowd barriers. Last week, several people fell into the water because they thought it was a gravel field. The culprit is the large duckweed fern, which has the colour of gravel.
The plants have since been removed from the water by the municipality. But plant expert Stef van Walsum tells the AD that it is a matter of time before the water surface is fully overgrown again: "It is a kind of weed. If the municipality wants to prevent people from falling in, the plants will have to be removed all the time. Fat chance that the water will close up again this summer," he told the newspaper.
Earlier, the municipality put up warning signs to ensure people did not fall into the water. But that was against the wishes of Karin Daan, the creator of the artwork. The municipality and Daan will soon talk to each other to find a solution. Until then, the fences and signs will remain.
Thank you. That's much crazier than I was expecting.o_O I love that the "artist" is getting all snooty about it.

Reminds me of the famous steps outside Lime Street Station in Liverpool. They stretch around the corner of the hill and are designed for passengers and passers-by to sit on. There's a subtle gradient so a whole family could sit in a line at a height that suits each.

When working in Liverpool I look forward to taking a snack on the Steps. There's a spot I like, the right seat-height, opposite the buskers, handy for my train, away from the busy road. An open space that feels very safe. :)
Here are those very steps, snapped today in the sunshine. :)

received_1271625383767651.jpeg

At least you can see the gradient.
I was imagining the steps themselves changing height, causing the chaos that the mis-sized steps on spiral staircases in castle towers.

I was imagining the steps themselves changing height, causing the chaos that the mis-sized steps on spiral staircases in castle towers.
They extend around further than my photo shows.
Carefully designed and executed for the people thet serve. :)

Don't they say that a step only has to be a few millimetres (?) different compared to the others, to cause you to trip?

Usually half an inch does the trick, though most err on the side of 'caution' and is about an inch.
Ah the joys of using repetative movement as a defence.

The seat in my Ford Kuga has a height adjuster that, after a few months, gradually reduces it's height by a few millimetres. When I realise that I'm sitting ever-so-slightly lower than I was, I give the handle a half-crank, just enough to lift the seat back that half-an-inch.
I can guarantee you that the next time I get in the car I will whack my knee bone on the sticky-out bit of the steering column.

NSFW but nothing close-up and it's no p**n, also slightly funny:

He didn't interrupt his friend because he was angry about being left in a nightclub. He interrupted his 'friend' to try to humiliate him to try to impress the woman by being macho in front of her with a view to having sex with her in the future.

Here's a bloke. 33 years old with a very noisy car - a 3-door Japanese not-special and painted a distinctive lime green.

https://www.northyorkshire.police.u...ay-delivery-driver-caught-in-the-act-by-cops/

Ordered off the road for a time and prevented from delivery jobs in town. A very small town, where the average resident is old enough to be irritated by his noise. In a very distinctive car.
It's a little amusing that he actually posted on the local police page announcing the court result, saying "Hahahah! You can't stop me! I'm taking my car into the garage to be made more noisy!"
1) You drive a distinctive car in a town with about 8000 residents who aren't impressed by your crap car.
2) You claim you're taking it to the garage. What? The garage that's about 1340 meters from your house, you twerp?
3) Yes, the coppers can stop you. Keep up and you'll have your car impounded and ... keep going, twat ... you can do a brief spell in prison for contempt of court (or somesuch).
4) The takeaway might have second-thoughts employing you to deliver food if you have no car to deliver with and they themselves want to keep low key.

Seriously, I wonder that at age 33, why doesn't he grow up?

Usually half an inch does the trick, though most err on the side of 'caution' and is about an inch.
Ah the joys of using repetative movement as a defence.
fffffnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back