• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Modern Funeral Customs

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4417760.stm

Family photographs and wedding rings are still put in caskets
Fears of being buried alive have prompted an increasing number of people to take their mobile phones to their graves, according to an Irish undertaker.

I like this bit -

He said it would not make much sense for people to be buried with a mobile phone if they were to be cremated.

There are also reports of decidedly un-funereal music.

Any other new customs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, but I was thinking more of new customs seen at individual funerals, as a way of 'personalising' of the process.

I have seen a unique way for the congregation to see off a loved one this last year. Hope to see it again, but it's unlikely.

The mobile phones and other personal effects 'stuffed' into coffins, as a new version of grave goods, seems delightful to me. ;)

My dad was buried wearing his favourite pair of Roadrunner socks and old vest (plus the usual suit of course) as Mum was worried that he would get cold.

Funerals are for the benefit of the bereaved so when I go (assuming I do of course, I'm still aiming to become the first immortal) then I hope those left behind will do whatever feels best for them... but if I end up in a bin bag on the local tip then I'm going to be very annoyed ;)

Jane.

We put some betting slips and a bookie's pen in with my Dad. He'd never go anywhere without them as a rule in case he happened to stumble across a betting office on his travels. We also put in a paper for him to read as again, he was never without a newspaper near to hand.

Funerals are often seen as the last 'gift' to the dead from the living, so it is entirely understandable that we dress our dear departed in favourite togs and equip them suitably. ;)

I spontaneously put a packet of throat lozenges in my aunt's coffin, after removing just one, which I gave to her sister, my mother. They shared everything as children. It felt right. :D

Here's an option that's been out there for a few years: Having your cremated remains formed into a artificial coral reef to provide habitat for fish and other marine creatures. You can ask for a free informational DVD:

http://www.eternalreefs.com/

Stickers on coffins
By Jackie Storer
BBC News

There's nothing cheerful about a coffin - until you cover it with colourful pictures. The idea of decorating caskets is helping some people come to terms with that only sombre certainty we all have in life.

When Mary Tomes dies, she doesn't want a plain wooden box.

"I want a bright yellow coffin, one that says something about me. One brown box doesn't fit all. It doesn't show your personality or your sense of humour. My husband told me not to be so daft."

That was four years ago. Now Mary, a 62-year-old grandmother, not only has a sunshine-yellow coffin for when she meets her maker, but runs Colourful Coffins in Oxford, which prints customised paper wraps to stick onto caskets.

Her initially reluctant husband Kevin, 58, is chief designer, and the pair use their skills as printers to turn 3,000 caskets into visual representations of those inside.

"We've had the last of the Dambusters, who had a plaque on the top with bouncing bombs, the white cliffs of Dover and Lancaster bombers. And we had an ice cream van man, who had ice cream cones on his. He had the van leading the parade and they all stood round the grave eating Magnums," says Mrs Tomes.

Dr Bill Webster, a grief counsellor and author, says choosing a bespoke coffin is part of a move towards more individualistic funerals.

"It's a symbolic act to have this personalised colourful coffin. They are saying their loved one was special, that they were an RAF pilot, that these are his football colours. I have even seen one that was like a Kit Kat bar."

Dr Webster - who lost his wife in 1983, leaving him to bring up their two sons alone - says people do not talk about death enough or their plans for when it happens.

"Death is always an unwelcome experience. We avoid it as much as we can. When death happens, we wonder 'what would they want? What should we do? What's appropriate at the time?' I believe that a good funeral is the beginning of a healthy grief process."

While Colourful Coffins - and another UK company, JC Atkinson - print what are effectively colour transfers for standard coffins, Nottinghamshire's Crazy Coffins makes caskets shaped like cars, cricket bags and ballet shoes.

The tradition of adding designs or sculpturing coffins dates back to Egyptian times. In Ghana, for instance, hand-carved coffins are popular and can reflect the status of the deceased.

"It's a good idea for those who are bereaved to contribute to the funeral service in some way," says Father Nicholas Cheeseman, of All Saints Church in Reading. "Sometimes this might just mean joining in a hymn, but it might also mean choosing a coffin."

Lost child

Once the concept occurred to her, Mrs Tomes set about researching demand. "One clergyman said: 'My dear, I can't see myself in one, but I think it would help many parents'."

A bespoke coffin costs about £800 - the same price as a pine version - and for each one that is cremated, a donation is made to Climate Care, which invests that money into emission reduction projects.

While the Tomes appreciate making something unique for what is always a distressing day, they do find it difficult when the coffin is for a baby or child.

"The first time we did one, we all cried," says Mr Tomes. "No one ever wants to lose a child. Children's charities tell us that a colourful coffin is so much nicer if a child has siblings. Instead of a white box, they remember flowers or fairies."

Mrs Tomes adds: "You can't take away the pain but you can lift the day."

After their 15-year-old son Hamish died of pneumonia in October 2006, Katharine and Stuart Broadhurst chose a rainbow coffin to symbolise the colour the severely disabled boy had brought into their lives.

"We wanted something incredibly bright because his eyesight wasn't 100%," says Ms Broadhurst. "He wore colourful clothes, he was the colour in our family."

The casket had his photo at the end facing the congregation, and a copy of a plaque from his door reading: "Brave knight sleeping, wake with extreme caution". Those at the funeral were "wowed" that it fitted Hamish's personality so neatly, she says.

When Jill Byrne's 89-year-old father Eric Thornton died, she chose a coffin decorated to look like a Halifax tram with the destination "Terminus". 8)

"Trams were so much a part of Dad's life," she says. "He had always wanted to be a tram driver and was a director for Seaton Tramway on the south Devon coast.

"It was a real talking point and it just made such a difference to our family. It was exactly right and a fitting celebration of everything that was him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7358089.stm

When walking around the local cemetary, I disconcertingly found the bit full of childrens' graves :( They were all covered in teddy bears, spinning whirligigs, etc.

I saw a hearse with flame graphics on the other day.

(this was outside Bath, if anyone wants to keep an eye out for it)

I want one of those at my funeral.

In my local cemetery there's a section all ready for the couple of hundred dead babies and children that must be expected. It's full of large gravestones in the shape of teddy bears. Creepy in the extreme. :(

Dear Mr Whitehead,

We are in receipt of your instructions regarding the funeral of your late Uncle.

Could you please supply us with any evidence that he wishes to be dressed in a burkha and launched into space in a giant purple banana while the congregation join in a selection of songs by Judy Garland and Doris Day. There were some difficulties involved in serving this gentleman with his Death Certificate as he does not wish to lie down.

We must also reluctantly report that the heads of your late parents have had to be removed from their sticks as they were frightening the youngsters in the ajoining schoolyard.

The instructions for the disposal of your twin nephews seem a little premature as our enquiries show them to be aged thirteen and in good health. We are unable to comment on the current price of a Butt of Malmsey.

We shall, of course, be happy to assist you in any appropriate way in the future.

Yours sincerely,

YouDeath.com

:(

escargot1 said:
In my local cemetery there's a section all ready for the couple of hundred dead babies and children that must be expected. It's full of large gravestones in the shape of teddy bears. Creepy in the extreme. :(

I remember on the bus back from college it used to go past a stonecutters that made gravestones, and they always had a teddy bear-shaped one on display. Always made me shiver a bit in a "best not to think about it " kind of way.

I live near the cemetery and go past undertakers' and monumental masons' premises every day.

Teddy bear gravestones? Pfft. Full-colour Tiggers? Yup.
Class.

Being buried with mobile phones, clothes and other possessions isn't really a new concept.

The ancient Egyptians used to bury their dead with personal items from life to aid them in their journey to the after life. Some rich Egyptians were even buried with chariots!

~Unruhe~

Yup, to be sure. There's nothing new about grave goods.

LINKY
Inventor of Pringles chip can, Fredric Baur, to be buried in one

BY BILL HUTCHINSON

The Cincinnati chemist who invented the iconic Pringles potato chip can was buried in one.

Relatives revealed yesterday they honored Fredric Baur's bizarre last wish and buried part of his cremated remains in a Pringles can. Baur was so proud of the tube-shaped container he patented in 1970 that he wanted one to accompany him to his grave, his children told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The retired organic chemist and food storage technician died May 4 in an Ohio hospice. He was 84. Baur also invented frying oils and a freeze-dried ice cream, but nothing came close to the crowning achievement of his Pringles can, his children said.

MrRING said:
LINKY
Inventor of Pringles chip can, Fredric Baur, to be buried in one

BY BILL HUTCHINSON

The Cincinnati chemist who invented the iconic Pringles potato chip can was buried in one.

Relatives revealed yesterday they honored Fredric Baur's bizarre last wish and buried part of his cremated remains in a Pringles can. Baur was so proud of the tube-shaped container he patented in 1970 that he wanted one to accompany him to his grave, his children told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The retired organic chemist and food storage technician died May 4 in an Ohio hospice. He was 84. Baur also invented frying oils and a freeze-dried ice cream, but nothing came close to the crowning achievement of his Pringles can, his children said.

So, he basically invented a tube then...

At last... a coffin you might actually want to be seen dead in
By Paul Bignell
Sunday, 13 July 2008

Increasing numbers of people are choosing coffins that reflect their idea of a beautiful final resting place. From Rolls-Royce cars and ballet shoes to environmentally friendly wicker casks, people are spending more time planning for their time six feet under.

The latest company to join the market is Guernsey-based Creative Coffins, which has turned to biodegradable cardboard to provide a green alternative to wooden coffins. The firm, originally a design agency, also saw a market for printing on coffins.

"As far as we're concerned, it's just packaging," said Geed Kelly, co-founder of Creative Coffins.

The company began producing coffins in May, and its website has been inundated with requests. "We get hundreds of enquiries every week," said Mr Kelly. "We've had interest from Hollywood to Australia, and South Africa to Indonesia. We've had very positive feedback from funeral directors."

Creative Coffins started after a simple request from a friend who was planning his funeral but couldn't find an environmentally friendly coffin. It is now producing caskets that range from £295 off-the-shelf to £1,250 bespoke. Designs vary from garden sheds with the words "gone to seed" to wine-bottle motifs.

Other companies have likewise seen an increase in sales of alternative funeral supplies. Mary Tomes, founder of Colourful Coffins, said: "Since we started about five years ago, it's really begun gaining in popularity.

"We've sold over 2,500 coffins since we started and we're trebling the number we sell each year. We've just done one with a painted aquarium on it with the gentleman's favourite fish."

Dr Bill Webster, a bereavement counsellor, said: "It's a symbolic act to have this personalised colourful coffin. They are saying their loved one was special."

Dr Webster, whose wife died in 1983, says people do not talk about death enough, or their plans for when it happens: "We avoid it as much as we can. When death happens, we wonder: 'What would they want?' I believe a good funeral is the beginning of a healthy grief process."

However, Adam Heath, spokesman for the National Association of Funeral Directors, warns that the business of selecting coffins needs to be taken seriously: "I'm slightly reserved about some of the more wacky ones – you don't want people regretting the choice of design years later."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 66490.html

A funeral company near here offers coffins decorated in honour of the local footy team. Dunno how popular they are but they've been doing it for a couple of years at least.

The coffin of a member of my family was quite spectacularly and uniquely customised a few years ago. We have no regrets.

you don't want people regretting the choice of design years later
Well, if it's biodegradable cardboard you can't dig it up and change it anyway!

Wel, exactly. You have to be sure at the time that you're getting it right because you can't sort it later.

Angler's ashes turned into fish food
A keen angler had his dying wish realised, when his ashes were turned into fish food.
By Laura Clout
Last Updated: 1:45AM BST 07 Aug 2008

When Peter Hodge learned he had terminal motor neurone disease, he requested his remains be mixed in with the special groundbait he used to catch fish in his local river.

The 61-year-old, from Puriton, near Bridgewater in Somerset said he wanted to swim with his favourite fish in the spot where he spent 40 happy years angling.

After his death last month he was cremated in a wicker fishing basket coffin, and his ashes were mingled with 30lb of fish food.

Mr Hodge's widow Caroline and daughter Sally were the first to catapult balls of the bait into the River Huntspill to signal the start of an angling competition among Mr Hodge's friends.

Mrs Hodge, 56, said: "Pete always said that when he died he wanted his ashes to be mixed in with groundbait.

"He wanted the fish to gobble him up so he could swim up and down the river after his death.

"Everything that he wished for was done right down to the last. It was only right for us to carry out his final wishes."

Mr Hodge, a gentleman's hairdresser, took up fishing at the age of 20 and went to his favourite spot on the River Huntspill several times a week.

He had to sell his business after he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in 2006 but still carried on fishing.

Before he died Mr Hodge said: "It may sound strange but it is my dream; to be back in the river catching fish is where I belong. I hope my friends make me proud with their catches."

After his death nearly 1,000 mourners packed St Mary's Church in Bridgewater for his funeral.

Anglers traditionally keep the content of their groundbait a closely-guarded secret. The mixture often contains maize, hemp and soya, along with chopped up worms and biscuits and is either catapulted into the river or attached to a line.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -food.html

Monty Python classic tops list of best funeral songs
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, the classic Monty Python song, has been named the best "alternative" funeral song.

Last Updated: 7:08AM GMT 27 Jan 2009

The cheery tune from The Life Of Brian film beat competition from The Jam’s Going Underground and The Animals’ We Gotta Get Out Of This Place.

The survey, commissioned by the Children’s Society, also found that nine out of ten people found talking about funeral arrangements more difficult than talking about sex.

A spokesman for the society said it appeared people were turning away from “serious” funeral tunes such as Robbie Williams’ Angels in an effort to make the experience a more uplifting one.

A fifth of those surveyed said they would like Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life to be played at their funeral while 16% went for Cabaret, sung by Liza Minnelli.

Other popular choices included Sid Vicious’s cover of My Way, They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa by Napoleon and Enjoy Yourself, It’s Later Than You Think by the Specials.

Lorraine Groves from the Children’s Society said: “Funerals have changed a lot in the past few years - more people are planning ahead to make their funerals personal and reflective of themselves.

“We know many people prefer a simple affair and would rather their mourners give donations in memory rather than lots of flowers, along with a little light hearted twist during the proceedings like an alternative song.”

The research also found that around 40% of people do not have a will, and the Children’s Society is offering free advice to anyone wanting to set one up.

A total of 764 people were questioned for the survey.

The top 10 “alternative” funeral songs:

1. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Eric Idle / Monty Python

2. Cabaret - Liza Minnelli

3. Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye - Gracie Fields

4. My Way - Sid Vicious

5. They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa - Napoleon

6. Fame! I Want To Live Forever - The cast of Fame

7. We’ve Gotta Get Out Of This Place - The Animals

8. Going Underground - The Jam

9. Spirit In The Sky - Dr and The Medics

10. Enjoy Yourself, It’s Later Than You Think - The Specials

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... songs.html

rynner2 said:
4. My Way - Sid Vicious

The extremely strong language in that one would be quite something for a funeral service! Imagine the minister's face!

Back