Greta Thunberg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
You can roll your eyes all you like, Myth, but the uncomfortable reality is you posted your remarks in a thread in which the overwhelming tenor is blokes of a certain age telling Greta (like she's reading) "Be quiet, love, grown-ups are talking. Best get back to school, you might learn something from your elders and betters" and I didn't see any great effort at differentiation between your comments and those sentiments. To be fair, it's not just you, and I'm sorry if it looks like I'm targetting you specifically.

I apologise unreservedly, and withdraw any insinuation that you might have been.
.. the uncomfortable reality is that she has wealthy parents .. "I SHOULD BE IN SCHOOL!!" .. you aren't in school because you aren't working class and your parents don't have to worry about being fined. They can afford it although it won't happen. That's reality.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
.. the uncomfortable reality is that she has wealthy parents .. "I SHOULD BE IN SCHOOL!!" .. you aren't in school because you aren't working class and your parents don't have to worry about being fined. They can afford it although it won't happen. That's reality.
The reality is that, in the UK context at least, section 7 of the Education Act 1996 stipulates that children should receive an efficient full-time education. Note, as the act itself does, that education is not a synonym for schooling. It is this wording which makes home education legal in the UK. Mind you, it's local councils which interpret the legislation and subsequent guidance on the ground, often incorrectly. I doubt you'll be amazed to learn that it's disproportionately working-class home educators who feel the brunt of the misapplication.

I don't know what Swedish law says, or indeed whether Greta is considered to fall under its auspices. It has been my understanding that the UK and the Republic of Ireland are the only European/Scandinavian countries which allow education otherwise than in school, but I may be wrong, and certainly some European families appear to have found ways to home educate their children.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
In all fairness Krepostnoi, I read it as Yith intended as his first comments were a rebuttal of Myth's position and therefore his comment was obviously ironic. But it's interesting how comments can be misinterpreted depending upon how invested/passionate we are about a subject. Or indeed just how involved in the conversation we are.
Hmm, maybe you're right, Ringo. But the Daily-Maily-fication of the board continues apace - this thread is a prime example, but it's far from the only one - and I know for a fact that long-standing posters are disengaging as a result. I maintain that something is going awry with the spread of opinions expressed if I can take at face value what was meant to be parodic.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Hmm, maybe you're right, Ringo. But the Daily-Maily-fication of the board continues apace - this thread is a prime example, but it's far from the only one - and I know for a fact that long-standing posters are disengaging as a result. I maintain that something is going awry with the spread of opinions expressed if I can take at face value what was meant to be parodic.
Response and discussion to this here. Feel free to contribute:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-16#post-1910709

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
She also graduated, and is old enough that she doesn't legally require more schooling.
.. so at what stage during this now infamous video did she boldly state: " I should be at school!" .. before or after she legally left school? .. or she's part of the Umbrella Corporation

(skip to 0:50)

Last edited:

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Anyone arguing against the validity of her position has a tough row to hoe.
I mean that despite what you think about her personally, I have not be persuaded that her basic point is invalidated.

Last edited:

Cochise

Antediluvian
Anyone arguing against the validity of her position has a tough row to hoe.
I mean that despite what you think about her personally, I have not be persuaded that her basic point is invalidated.
And her basic point is?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The class-stratified Anglosphere context in which these points make sense isn't nearly so applicable (if at all) in the Swedish context.

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
And her basic point is?
We fkd up the planet and she’s pissed off. But of course you know that’s her message.
You just don’t wanna hear it.
That’s why you attack the messenger instead.
Myself I could care less. I have no progeny and very little lifetime left. Your progeny’s fate is your problem not mine.

Last edited by a moderator: