Greta Thunberg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
If Charlie Brown taught me anything, it's that America has a Happy Arbor Day. Does that still go on? How about it worldwide, Greta?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Brilliant! very furious-force-of-nature tulpa!

I wonder if Glasgow will get one? We are having a bit of a thing with interesting murals at the moment.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Wow, those are not good portraits. If they can make poor little Greta look that awful I am damn glad no-one has made a mural of me.

INT21

Antediluvian
(Transplanted from the Human Attitudes About Human Extinction thread)

God, you lot are never happier than when you’re dismal. ;)

Cheer up, it’s not going to happen!

maximus otter
Maybe not in your lifetime Maximus, but a very real possibility for a few generations down the time line.

Most people don't concern themselves with this question because there is damn all they can, as individuals, do about it.

It is perhaps best illustrated by the Greta Thunberg phenomena. Green girl, saying all the right things.

Then jeting arond the world to give lectures that anyone could watch on their tv or computer.

Damn it Greta, you should have declined the tours. You blew your credentials out the water with that one.

INT21.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Then jeting arond the world to give lectures that anyone could watch on their tv or computer.

Damn it Greta, you should have declined the tours. You blew your credentials out the water with that one.

INT21.
Yes... all of those conferences should really be done via video link, to be truly green.

INT21

Antediluvian
Yes... all of those conferences should really be done via video link, to be truly green.
Which is the way things need to move. What is the point of having multi participant worldwide capability if people still want to fly off on a jolly to some exotic isle.
Agreed that the oppotunity to get into bed with your secretary or translator may be diminished. But that is small price to pay.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
As Cochise hinted, this thread is for Thunberg discussion. Please put general climate change stuff in the relevant thread.

Frides

INT21

Antediluvian
As Cochise hinted, this thread is for Thunberg discussion. Please put general climate change stuff in the relevant thread.

Frides
It shall be done :)

It is rather awkward separating the two as Greta's whole raison dete is the climate and how it is changing.

Anyway, she is now old news and will slowly sink back into obscurity; at least as far as the wider Worls is concerned.

I do hope she doesn't become dispirited and bitter after having her day in the Sun.

Cochise

Antediluvian
It shall be done :)

It is rather awkward separating the two as Greta's whole raison dete is the climate and how it is changing.

Anyway, she is now old news and will slowly sink back into obscurity; at least as far as the wider Worls is concerned.

I do hope she doesn't become dispirited and bitter after having her day in the Sun.
Capitalisation noted :points:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
It is perhaps best illustrated by the Greta Thunberg phenomena. Green girl, saying all the right things.

Should be noted that she makes a point of not jetting around the world, and goes by boat instead. Boats cost 'carbon' to make, but so do planes and boats produce a lot less in their active lifetimes.

Indrid Drood

Loitering with Ludic Intent
Should be noted that she makes a point of not jetting around the world, and goes by boat instead. Boats cost 'carbon' to make, but so do planes and boats produce a lot less in their active lifetimes.
Earlier in this thread, however, it was mentioned that her five-person crew flew back to Sweden, and that another five people were flying from Sweden to the US to take the boat back. So –– if true –– that's ten flights right there, compared to four if only she and her father were actually flying round trip. (Isn't that basically the same thing as what she argues Sweden is doing when they declare their emissions are going down, when in reality all they're doing is moving them overseas where other countries produce for them? If the reports are indeed true, then she is simply moving her own –– along with her father's –– emissions onto ten other people!)

I've watched most of the long interviews she's given, and it's pretty clear from what she herself has said (and I do believe she is being honest) that her parents radically altered their lifestyles at her insistence.* (There's a great moment in her interview with Trevor Noah of The Daily Show –– I DLed it from youtube, but it seems to be gone now –– where he asks her if she feels bad that her mother gave up her opera career because she stopped flying, and Greta responds, "I don't care honestly about how she performs [both Greta herself and TN pause to laugh at this statement!]... she's doing musicals now, so I mean she hasn't changed career, but it wasn't that big...") I think if she's going to expect such all-or-nothing commitments from other people, then she should be held to the same standard (e.g. she could have refused to make the journey unless the crew waited for her in the Americas until she was ready to return).

*also, listen to her father, Svante, for example, from 4:44 in this video: Straight Talk

Last edited:

Indrid Drood

Sea travel is more polluting than air travel. And ships use a huge amount of fuel per mile.
I don't see how that's at all relevant here, she did after all travel by sailboat! My point was simply that if she is going to proffer a counsel of perfection, she needs must live by the same in order to be at all worthy of respect and attention.

INT21

Antediluvian
I don't see how that's at all relevant here, she did after all travel by sailboat! My point was simply that if she is going to proffer a counsel of perfection, she needs must live by the same in order to be at all worthy of respect and attention.
It's relevant as a simple fact. Sea travel is much slower, more polluting (burns low grade fuel etc) than other forms of travel.

The sail boat option is good if, a; your a sailor and b; your not in a particular hurry to get anywhere.

I do, of course, agree with the latter part of the post.

Indrid Drood

It's relevant as a simple fact. Sea travel is much slower, more polluting (burns low grade fuel etc) than other forms of travel.

The sail boat option is good if, a; your a sailor and b; your not in a particular hurry to get anywhere.

I do, of course, agree with the latter part of the post.
However, we are not discussing the ecological merits of sea travel vs. travel by air in this thread, we are discussing the specific case of little Greta. And to insert the comment "Sea travel is more polluting than air travel. And ships use a huge amount of fuel per mile" into the thread implies that Greta was contributing to greater pollution travelling by boat than she would have by flying (which was not the case). She may have actually done so, if the reports regarding the crews flying back and forth are true, but that is a separate matter.