• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Agree with you there escargot.
Mine is quite old but I don't need to worry about carjackers or home invaders wanting to steal it.
It's not worth much so I wouldn't lose much money wise if anything happened although It's handy for what I need.

Vera Wang, fashion designer, still looks young at 70.
1589406579619.png

How has she done this? It can't be just good genetics.

I've seen 20 year olds who look much older than this lady. I do think it's to do with the genes -- my wife has always looked a good 20 years younger than she actually is (she was 54 when we met) -- and several of her sisters, and her mother, also. The reverse can also happen -- I recall the shock I had when I was doing playwork and a fellow playworker complained that she was "getting too old for this." Shortly afterwards it was her 23rd birthday... I had thought she was probably late 30s.

How has she done this? It can't be just good genetics.
Makeup,hair dye, lighting is tinkered with in the photo, probably more serious tinkering of the photo, lots of cosmetic surgery, and a great exercise program. I'm not sure why anyone would want to look like that at 70. The wisdome comes with age thing has been omitted.

Just looked more closely. I don't think she's wearing a fleshie, but something about the right shoulder is peculiar.

I think it might be genetics. When I used to teach at the local school there was a language centre attached and many of the asian aides looked years younger than they were.
My next door neighbours who are Vietnamese and Indian respectively are over 70 but certainly don't look it.
On the other hand a few years ago when I took one of my grandaughters to the park there was a woman there with her son and grandchildren. She was Australian and I thought she looked mid 70's. She mentioned going for lunch and I asked if she used her seniors card to which she replied she wasn't old enough for one.

I think it might be genetics. When I used to teach at the local school there was a language centre attached and many of the asian aides looked years younger than they were.
My next door neighbours who are Vietnamese and Indian respectively are over 70 but certainly don't look it.
On the other hand a few years ago when I took one of my grandaughters to the park there was a woman there with her son and grandchildren. She was Australian and I thought she looked mid 70's. She mentioned going for lunch and I asked if she used her seniors card to which she replied she wasn't old enough for one.

Asian people also have difficulty judging the age of us white folk. I was in my 30's and remember one place I was asked for my ID time and time again when I was in my 30's buying beer.

I'm incredulous that the photo at post 2974 is Vera Wang. There's no way a woman of 70 looks like that - it looks like a young woman of about 20. If it's her it's been photoshopped to fuck & beyond.

Maybe she was having a laugh of some sort. An artists impression of her 50 years ago.

One of the reasons I drive an old car is it lessens the chance of me losing it - modern cars do look all alike to me, no doubt a sign of old age along with thinking all current pop music is rubbish.

I drive older cars because the newer ones all break apart like leaves with the slightest tap. And they are made that way on purpose! Then, they have the nerve to charge you thousands of dollars to repair it when it's only a plastic mold that costs about $3. Cars today are just plastic computers on wheels.

Okay, that's my old age rant for today. Thanks for listening. :mcoat:

Death approached and retreated.

At 111, Juana Zúñiga has become the oldest patient in Chile to recover from Covid-19, officials in the South American country have said.

Ms Zúñiga tested positive after an outbreak at her care home. Despite suffering from respiratory problems even before the pandemic, she was not seriously affected by the virus.

"She did not have any symptoms and very few bouts of fever, which was good," the care home's director said.

The care home's director, María Paz Sordo added that they had to move Ms Zúñiga, who is known as Juanita, to a different part of the home to keep her isolated from other residents. "Taking her out of her habitat was the most difficult thing."

She has been a resident of the care home near the capital, Santiago, ever since her sister, with whom she lived, died six years ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52833735

Go Granny Go!

Those who live healthily to a great age offer various explanations for their longevity, among them diet, exercise and an active social life. Hamako Mori, a Japanese woman of 90, has another formula — bludgeoning zombies to death with a baseball bat.

Ms Mori has been listed by Guinness World Records as the oldest YouTube gamer. Once a week she streams her bloody wars on the undead and has attracted 305,000 followers under the name Gamer Grandma.

“Once I become interested in something, I am completely absorbed,” she told the Yomiuri Shimbun. “If I could end my life with the joystick in my hand, I would be truly happy.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/japanese-gamer-gran-is-killing-it-at-age-of-90-rhz6p59mk

Give him a good birthday!

Care home staff have appealed for birthday cards for a "warm-hearted" resident and war veteran who is set to turn 100.

Eddie Hunn, who lives in Norwich, will be unable to share his milestone on Sunday with family and friends because of social distancing. The former prisoner of war is popular with local schoolchildren and has written a book on his experiences. His carers say they want to "give this amazing man the birthday he deserves".

He joined the Territorial Army in 1938 as a driver mechanic before he saw action in Singapore, and spent three-and-a-half years as a prisoner of war on the Thai-Burma Railway.

The address to send cards to is:

Cards For Eddie, Chiswick House, 3 Christchurch Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR2 2AD.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-52906270

Give him a good birthday!

Care home staff have appealed for birthday cards for a "warm-hearted" resident and war veteran who is set to turn 100.

Eddie Hunn, who lives in Norwich, will be unable to share his milestone on Sunday with family and friends because of social distancing. The former prisoner of war is popular with local schoolchildren and has written a book on his experiences. His carers say they want to "give this amazing man the birthday he deserves".

He joined the Territorial Army in 1938 as a driver mechanic before he saw action in Singapore, and spent three-and-a-half years as a prisoner of war on the Thai-Burma Railway.

The address to send cards to is:

Cards For Eddie, Chiswick House, 3 Christchurch Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR2 2AD.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-52906270

Ironic name luckily he was up against the Japanese and not the Germans.

Back