• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I also find myself becoming resentful to all the "modern" changes today. I had to wait for 6 hours for the tow truck driver to show up. He was suppose to arrive at midnight but didn't make it until 5am. I called for one at 11pm but could not call back and check what the delay was because it was all automated and there was no option for me to choose so that I could speak to a human being.

These people seem to have gotten life right. Personally, I don't want to live that long, I don't see any point to it..

I also find myself becoming resentful to all the "modern" changes today. I had to wait for 6 hours for the tow truck driver to show up. He was suppose to arrive at midnight but didn't make it until 5am. I called for one at 11pm but could not call back and check what the delay was because it was all automated and there was no option for me to choose so that I could speak to a human being.

These people seem to have gotten life right. Personally, I don't want to live that long, I don't see any point to it..

The first guy though...

We often hear that vigorous exercise contributes to longer lifespans. However, new research from Japan suggests strenuous exercise in the course of one's job or vocation tends to shorten rather than lengthen lifespan.
Strenuous daily exercise may shorten, not prolong, longevity

By analyzing longevity data for professional Japanese traditional artists, researchers at Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) have found that Kabuki actors, known for their vigorous movements, surprisingly had shorter lifespans compared with other traditional arts performers who lead mostly sedentary lifestyles. The findings suggest that job-related strenuous exercise throughout life may not necessarily extend longevity.

Frequent exercise is often touted as key to leading a long and healthy life. But few studies have delved into comparisons in longevity between those who partake in vigorous physical activity and those who lead mostly sedentary lifestyles as a result of their occupation throughout their lives.

Now, Naoyuki Hayashi and Kazuhiro Kezuka of Tokyo Tech's Institute of Liberal Arts have conducted an unusual study that calls into question the idea that vigorous daily exercise positively correlates with longevity. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-06/tiot-sde061820.php

My suddenly feeling really old moment came when I happened to go into a pub in a local village that I used to frequent as a teenager. Looking round I remarked to the landlord it hadn't change much since I was last in - he of course asked how long ago that was and working it out in my head I realised it was forty years!!

My suddenly feeling really old moment came when I happened to go into a pub in a local village that I used to frequent as a teenager. Looking round I remarked to the landlord it hadn't change much since I was last in - he of course asked how long ago that was and working it out in my head I realised it was forty years!!
You know you're getting on when 40 years doesn't seem that long ago. Oddly enough, the older you get, the shorter the time your life seems to have lasted..

Never too old to become a supermodel. Vid at link.

Ex-joiner, 80, becomes model after Peaky Blinders-inspired shoot
An 80-year-old ex-joiner has become a model after stepping in for a Peaky Blinders-inspired photo shoot.
Harry Mountain, from Chorley, Lancashire, was at his photography club when they were one person short for the shoot about the 1920s gangster drama.
Now he says he "can't get enough of it", adding: "What else do I do - sit in a flat?"
  • 18 Jul 2020

Never too old to become a supermodel. Vid at link.

Ex-joiner, 80, becomes model after Peaky Blinders-inspired shoot
An 80-year-old ex-joiner has become a model after stepping in for a Peaky Blinders-inspired photo shoot.
Harry Mountain, from Chorley, Lancashire, was at his photography club when they were one person short for the shoot about the 1920s gangster drama.
Now he says he "can't get enough of it", adding: "What else do I do - sit in a flat?"
  • 18 Jul 2020

I wonder what his version of 'blue steel' is like?

She's ninety-one apparently:

Sadly, Ida Haendel passed on the 1st of this month. I meant to post it, when I spotted the obituary somewhere.

RIP. :(

Yes, as Mungoman suggests, she shaved a few years off her official biography. I think 91 is the corrected figure.

But the Wikipedia page has a curious footnote, which states that for some years, she had years added to her age by her agent, to circumvent a rule about the age at which performers could appear at Covent Garden!

Quite a character! :salute:

Last edited:
Savannah couple married almost 80 years celebrate their 100th birthdays together

A lot was happening in the world 100 years ago: the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic was finally coming to an end, women got the right to vote and both Billy and Nellie Jones were born. On Saturday evening, family and friends of the Joneses held a parade to celebrate their 100th birthdays.

"Very very loved, for somebody to do all this work. I'm speechless too, not speechless that they love but that somebody would go through all this trouble," Mrs. Jones told WJCL 22 News.

The Joneses were born just four days apart and have been together almost 80 of their 100 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...te-their-100th-birthdays-together/ar-BB17K8vw

What I find fascinating is how some remain incredibly active and full of life well into their nineties and sometimes beyond, despite having lived through some of the horrendous periods of the 20th century, yet some seem to be already fading away in their 60's if not earlier.

What I find fascinating is how some remain incredibly active and full of life well into their nineties and sometimes beyond, despite having lived through some of the horrendous periods of the 20th century, yet some seem to be already fading away in their 60's if not earlier.

Are you talking about bats or people like me? I am definitely falling apart at 61. lol

It is probably because to have got to that age in the first place they must already be pretty strong and fit.

Smoking has a lot to do with it.

The same applies to drinking. Among my family and long-term friends the first ones to die were the heavier / chronic drinkers (with or without similarly habitual smoking). The heaviest (continuing; never dried out) drinkers I knew all died from age 54 to 60.

The same applies to drinking. Among my family and long-term friends the first ones to die were the heavier / chronic drinkers (with or without similarly habitual smoking). The heaviest (continuing; never dried out) drinkers I knew all died from age 54 to 60.

If the internal effects of heavy smoking mirror the external ones (or are worse), then smoking simply ages one prematurely, quite apart from the quantifiable damage that we all know about.

On one of my visits home, I met my old school friend in the pub. We born a few months apart and have a number of superficially similar physical traits (although he's significantly taller than me.)

Anyway, his sister took a photo of us with our arms draped over each other's shoulders and pints in our hands and uploaded it to Facebook by way of announcing the reunion; more recently made friends of his, whom I'd never met, commented, quite earnestly, to ask whether I was his nephew.

The difference is that in the twenty years since school, he has smoked a pack of fags per day. It shines through all over the place: skin, hair, lips, fingernails. In our late 30s, he looked to be in his early 50s, although he tells me he has cut down on the smoking since.

If the internal effects of heavy smoking mirror the external ones (or are worse), then smoking simply ages one prematurely, quite apart from the quantifiable damage that we all know about.

On one of my visits home, I met my old school friend in the pub. We born a few months apart and have a number of superficially similar physical traits (although he's significantly taller than me.)

Anyway, his sister took a photo of us with our arms draped over each other's shoulders and pints in our hands and uploaded it to Facebook by way of announcing the reunion and more recently made friends of his, whom I'd never met, commented, quite earnestly, to ask whether I was his nephew.

The difference is that in the 20 years since school, he has smoked a pack of fags per day. It shines through all over the place: skin, hair, lips, fingernails. In our late 30s, he looked to be in his early 50s, although he tells me he has cut down on the smoking since.

Yup, smoking does age one. Remember Roald Dahl's George's Marvelous Medicine, when George notices how his Gran has 'pale brown teeth and a small puckered-up mouth like a dog's bottom'? That's a smoker's mouth.

Last edited:
Only one of The Few left now.

The last surviving member of “The Few” – the airmen who won the Battle of Britain – has praised the “true professionals” who helped the UK to prevail against Germany in 1940.

Group Captain John “Paddy” Hemingway is now 101 years old, and regards himself as “a lucky Irishman”, having survived multiple dog fights during the war.

The Battle of Britain was fought between July and October 1940 by about 3,000 Royal Air Force (RAF) aircrew, and some 544 aviators lost their lives in the conflict. Following the victory, then British prime minister Winston Churchill said: “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.”

Cpt Hemingway was born in Dublin, Ireland, on July 17 1919. He was granted an RAF short service commission on March 7 1939, and posted to 85 Squadron in Debden, Essex, flying Hurricane aeroplanes, staying with them throughout the Battle of Britain.

During the war he destroyed or severely damaged seven enemy aircraft and was shot down himself several times. On April 11 1941 he was mentioned in dispatches, and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) on July 1 1941.

Cpt Hemingway spent time in 1942 at an offensive radar station, but returned to operational duties in 1945, taking command of a spitfire squadron in Italy. After the war he stayed in the RAF and retired in 1969 as a Group Captain.

He now lives in Wicklow where he recently celebrated his 101st birthday. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40049231.html

Watching a music video on my mobile earlier and one I had seen before.

I was surprised how good the image and sound quality was.

Next video I watched, same occurred.

Then again.

Eventually dawned I was using my brand new phone, which has vastly superior image and audio quality compared to my old (really old!) mobile.

If searching for something on YouTube, typically other suggestions will appear and often something you want to bookmark for the future.

I have got into the habit of simply taking a screenshot of the entire page for reference.

Was looking at one of those screenshots with the intent of finding the video I had noted and featured therein.

Must have been distracted and when came back to my phone, selected the video showing on screen that I wanted to see.

Despite several attempts to load the video, nothing was happening and I presumed the phone had 'frozen'.

About to reset it when realised I had been trying to load that video from a screenshot.

I'm suspect there's more of similar to follow.

Watching a music video on my mobile earlier and one I had seen before.

I was surprised how good the image and sound quality was.

Next video I watched, same occurred.

Then again.

Eventually dawned I was using my brand new phone, which has vastly superior image and audio quality compared to my old (really old!) mobile.

If searching for something on YouTube, typically other suggestions will appear and often something you want to bookmark for the future.

I have got into the habit of simply taking a screenshot of the entire page for reference.

Was looking at one of those screenshots with the intent of finding the video I had noted and featured therein.

Must have been distracted and when came back to my phone, selected the video showing on screen that I wanted to see.

Despite several attempts to load the video, nothing was happening and I presumed the phone had 'frozen'.

About to reset it when realised I had been trying to load that video from a screenshot.

I'm suspect there's more of similar to follow.

I was rather engrossed in a book I was reading while seated at my computer desk. I finished the page and then left clicked on the mouse to read the next page, twice, before I realised what I was doing...I see that we are in good company C.N.

The other 'thing' of late..

Recently bought some new clothes, couple of shirts, pair of denims and a jacket.

Nothing fitted properly, which was a puzzle as I have been the same chest, collar and waist size practically all my adult life.

Was at my daughter's and mentioned being about to return said items because they didn't fit and would try to exchange for another brand, with it being a manufacturer's issue.

Daughter asks, 'Dad, when is the last time you looked in a full length mirror'?

Suppose not for a few years as I don't have one. My daughter does, so check it out.

'Yes, it's been a while, although I don't see the need. I'm always the same size, makes no differen..... where in the name of... did that thing come from!!!'...

I have thus been instructed by said daughter to change my culinary ways... as in, 'Starting right now, Dad and I mean today'.

To be fair, I had been going through a 'lazy' phase and also going through a pack of 6 disposable roasting trays every week.

In hindsight and all seriousness, that's what changed. Soon as I discovered their existence, it became so simple cooking sausages, chicken portions, joints of meat, gammon, et al.

So, on a enforced dietary regime and you never know... might fit back those favourite old denims yet...

IMG_20200926_133427_compress71.jpg

Hi all I seem to be dropping to bits since I retired.Went for a check up prior to finishing work felt great walking in.
Came out after seeing the doctor with type 2 diabetes high blood pressure and Summat else I can’t remember.
Always been fit or so I thought never bothered the doctors much until now.And now I’ve had some kidney stones done and their going to do a biopsy on my bladder cos they spotted something in there pigging fed up I am

Hi all I seem to be dropping to bits since I retired.Went for a check up prior to finishing work felt great walking in.
Came out after seeing the doctor with type 2 diabetes high blood pressure and Summat else I can’t remember.
Always been fit or so I thought never bothered the doctors much until now.And now I’ve had some kidney stones done and their going to do a biopsy on my bladder cos they spotted something in there pigging fed up I am
They do like to spot things. Keeps them in business!

Ooh that's quite a list. You'll be having follow-up appointments for the diabetes and high blood pressure. Maybe you could have a read around in the meantime?

(Are you Black Country by any chance? Just wondering.)

Hi escargot nope I’m a Yorkshire lad near york .
Been having a look around the internet lot of information there.Also got a stent and a catheter fitted didn’t know they did them that small (arf arf) good news is that the stent is coming out the 30th this month and the t’other thing on the 2nd of October.That will be a laugh

Hi escargot nope I’m a Yorkshire lad near york .
Been having a look around the internet lot of information there.Also got a stent and a catheter fitted didn’t know they did them that small (arf arf) good news is that the stent is coming out the 30th this month and the t’other thing on the 2nd of October.That will be a laugh

Glad you're getting some treatment already!

Our @Swifty knows a lot about kidney stones. I tried to get him to ride big rollercoasters to dislodge them but he's not biting.

Back