• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Yeah I went in on the 15th and got sorted on the 16th a night in isolation I think.
I cannot praise the NHS staff enough totally brilliant. They took the catheter out at the hospital then they had to put it back in again and I’ve been talking in a high pitched falsetto voice ever since.walking around hunched over and eyes slightly crossed

Yeah I went in on the 15th and got sorted on the 16th a night in isolation I think.
I cannot praise the NHS staff enough totally brilliant. They took the catheter out at the hospital then they had to put it back in again and I’ve been talking in a high pitched falsetto voice ever since.walking around hunched over and eyes slightly crossed
That's just taking the piss.

Aye - it happens too often W.M.. I turned 61 and the proverbial hit the fan...Carotid Stenosis surgery , heart surgery, 3 melanoma's cut out (In situ, thankfully), blood pressure and cholesterol. (Thank the Gods for national health systems.)

As for clothes sizes C.N. - I have 4 pair of Breeks that I bought in the UK from M&S 6 year ago - size 34 waist innit - still fits beautifully and towards the end of the day gets a bit loose on me...I buy from Levis - a standard 504, and I'm 36 waist aren't I, and that's still tight in the morn.

Shirts, mind you.

I like Ben Sherman brand, made 'offshore', aren't they, and somehow I need a XXL, but linen shirts that I bought 20 years ago fit beautifully, and they are an L... (I do love linen)

Warmest wishes to all posters - and lurkers - feeling the encroaching thing and hopefully postponing it a good few years longer.

Given the demographic of the site, this is likely to be an ever-more-popular thread, until we all croak.

Meanwhile, here's to you! :boozing:

I keep misplacing things and yesterday compiled a list, with intention of allocating time today for a mega search.

The list comprises:

where is new small lamp
where is old small lamp
where is new small torch
where are 3 pairs of large scissors
where are 3 new pairs of small scissors
where is box of hankies
where is box of cook's long matches
where is new tube of toothpaste

A moment ago, it was necessary to add:

where is cheese I just bought

Only purchased on Friday, it was never put in the fridge, that much I remember.

How can you lose a block of cheese?

I keep misplacing things and yesterday compiled a list, with intention of allocating time today for a mega search.

The list comprises:

where is new small lamp
where is old small lamp
where is new small torch
where are 3 pairs of large scissors
where are 3 new pairs of small scissors
where is box of hankies
where is box of cook's long matches
where is new tube of toothpaste

A moment ago, it was necessary to add:

where is cheese I just bought

Only purchased on Friday, it was never put in the fridge, that much I remember.

How can you lose a block of cheese?
Wait until you lose the list!

Reminds me of the time when my parents brought back their shopping and a cauliflower in a plastic bag became wedged under a seat in the car.
Nobody noticed that the cauliflower had gone missing.
Over a period of weeks, the smell in the car just got worse and worse.
My Dad eventually tried to find the source of the smell and found a plastic bag with its rotten (semi-liquid) contents.
It took a while for the smell to finally go.

If you still have a sense of smell, you'll find it again, soon enough.
Cheese located! :)

At same time of purchase, I bought some new towels, which are still in the carrier bag and cheese was hiding there.

Also recovered were box of hankies and matches - rest still unaccounted for. :thought:

However, additionally found were several unopened food items not posted absent:

2 packs of pasta
container of sea salt
3 packets of instant mash
bottle of vegetable cooking oil
3 packets of macaroni cheese
3 packets of baking soda sachets
large bottle of Heinz ketchup
large bottle of Heinz BBQ sauce
box of Tesco Finest sea salt crackers
3 tubes of Pringle original crisos

plus...

new tin opener
new dish brush
2 new slotted spoons
new small frying pan
3 new trays
4 new tea-towels

Most of this was found in shopping bags which had mistakenly been left in the small hall cupboard which contains the electricity meter, fuse box, household tools and not much else.

Around 2-3 weeks back, this was temporarily used for shopping when I ran out of space after buying a dozen of the largest storage containers - the huge plastic ones with lids.

I haven't got round to using them as intended yet - tidying up all the larger cupboards - and quite forgotten had left some shopping bags in them meantime.

How I hadn't that much realised any of this was missing is slightly alarming! :omr:

Although, there were a few occasions when I hunted through cupboards almost certain I had purchased some of them.

'I'm sure I bought another bottle of tomato ketchup... I would almost swear it...".

Well, I suppose this might also explain what happened to one other item I know I bought and disappeared.

Hang on... in real time, I shall take another look...
[End for now]

And... 5 minutes later... result!

IMG_20200927_135633_resize_73.jpg

This reminds me of my father. He said when he was young and living in a boarding house he bought a block of gorgonzola cheese which he kept under his bed.
Apparently it smelled very strong and the landlady threw it out.

Was in town yesterday and naturally wearing a facemask, which is the typical supermarket blue & white variety.

I suddenly realised my own was different from everyone else.

Theirs was blue and mine was white.

I've been wearing it the wrong way around for months.

The ear-loops are on the blue side, how was I supposed to know.

IMG_20200929_115813_resize_75.jpg

A realisation now is how many people during all that time thought, 'Would you look at this...'. :points:

Was in town yesterday and naturally wearing a facemask, which is the typical supermarket blue & white variety.

I suddenly realised my own was different from everyone else.

Theirs was blue and mine was white.

I've been wearing it the wrong way around for months.

The ear-loops are on the blue side, how was I supposed to know.

View attachment 30173

A realisation now is how many people during all that time thought, 'Would you look at this...'. :points:

Been making my own - can't get it wrong!

Singer mask.jpg

That'll be why things have come up for checking. :)

It's standard - last visit of my own for routine, regular, review... something needed a further look at and later confirmed as nothing to be concerned with.

I tell the GP 'I've a few issues so I brought a list, would you like to see it?' and he takes it and it unwinds like a toilet roll, right down to the floor.
He sighs and says 'You haven't been for a while, have you?'

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...but-maybe-it-is-the-technology-thats-to-blame

Good article, (also good comments), about how over-engineered everything is. My oven is a prime example It takes me about 5 minutes to turn on the grill as there are about 3 different grill settings and I forget each time. Resetting the clock is ridiculous.

All I want in an oven are knobs for the hob, grill, and main oven. Possibly a timer but not really.

Remotes have endless buttons and I possibly use about 5. On/Off volume, channel change, info screen, book program, change mode.

Android phones - so much bloatware that uses up 50% of my RAM which I never use - nobody does.

Expensive equipment that no longer comes with a manual or has a manual that includes 30 other languages and written in microscopic text. Anyone else remember buying a big electronic thing in the 80's which included a big reassuring manual?

Doesn't Myth write manuals for things? BURN HIM!

Microsoft - evil customer service, the worst in the world.

Apple - you can't use it with anything else and its hardware becomes obsolete and they turn-off support and updates after a couple of years.

If there's a global conspiracy it's to design stuff to cause major stress and make you feel like a fool.

At the risk of getting burned along with Myth...

Android phones - so much bloatware that uses up 50% of my RAM which I never use - nobody does.

What bloatware are you talking about? The Android OS itself doesn't run many services unless they are in use by specific apps. This is how microkernel systems like Linux work.

If your phone has a bunch of garbage apps installed by the manufacturer then your ire should be directed at them.

Microsoft - evil customer service, the worst in the world.

As a Linux using, open source advocate I might be expected to be sympathetic to this. However I am actually a customer of Microsoft, specifically their Office 365 service.

Last year when I was made redundant, money got a bit tight and I decided not to move any money into the account from which my Microsoft service is paid (my almost-dormant business account) I didn't realise there wasn't enough money in there because one of my own customers failed to pay two invoices.

Long story short Microsoft didn't get paid that month. They didn't stop my services. The next month the automatic payment failed again, they still didn't stop my services. They phoned me and let me know that my service would stop at the end of that month if payment wasn't made. I was mortified, never having missed a payment before, and they explained that they had placed a grace period on my account because the account history was good until that point. Naturally as soon as I got off the phone I transferred some money into the other account and logged in to Office and paid it up. However I was well pleased with the customer service, and the young American lady I spoke to had been polite, professional and non-judgmental.

Apple - you can't use it with anything else and its hardware becomes obsolete and they turn-off support and updates after a couple of years.

Really not an Apple fan because I have always thought their stuff overpriced and overly restrictive sandboxes, don't disagree that it is difficult to get Apple kit to play nicely with other hardware. However I can't agree that they turn off updates after a few years.

I have an iPad purely for testing my employer's and my clients websites and apps on iOS. As it's more or less a courtesy service I provide and for peace of mind, rather than my core business, I didn't want to spend much on an iPad so I bought an old one from eBay. I was amazed earlier this week that my c2014 iPad had an update to install.

I have just had two smartmeters installed.

It would be nice if the manual told me how to get payment from the cards to the devices?

And are they touch screens? I have worked out what the buttons on the bottom do; they switch from screen to screen.

Expensive equipment that no longer comes with a manual or has a manual that includes 30 other languages and written in microscopic text. Anyone else remember buying a big electronic thing in the 80's which included a big reassuring manual?

Doesn't Myth write manuals for things? BURN HIM!
Oi! I write manuals that are helpful. Big, reassuring manuals.
Not my decision to stop providing fine manuals - blame the penny-pinching manufacturers who keep making tech authors redundant.

Oi! I write manuals that are helpful. Big, reassuring manuals.
Not my decision to stop providing fine manuals - blame the penny-pinching manufacturers who keep making tech authors redundant.
If you are within punching range of the illustrators for those manuals, please repeatedly strike them for me.

No!! Okay.. Okay.. Well, if you can get someone to film you while you punch self and put it on YouTube, we will consider you repentant.. :p

At the risk of getting burned along with Myth...

What bloatware are you talking about? The Android OS itself doesn't run many services unless they are in use by specific apps. This is how microkernel systems like Linux work.

If your phone has a bunch of garbage apps installed by the manufacturer then your ire should be directed at them.

As a Linux using, open source advocate I might be expected to be sympathetic to this. However I am actually a customer of Microsoft, specifically their Office 365 service.

Last year when I was made redundant, money got a bit tight and I decided not to move any money into the account from which my Microsoft service is paid (my almost-dormant business account) I didn't realise there wasn't enough money in there because one of my own customers failed to pay two invoices.

Long story short Microsoft didn't get paid that month. They didn't stop my services. The next month the automatic payment failed again, they still didn't stop my services. They phoned me and let me know that my service would stop at the end of that month if payment wasn't made. I was mortified, never having missed a payment before, and they explained that they had placed a grace period on my account because the account history was good until that point. Naturally as soon as I got off the phone I transferred some money into the other account and logged in to Office and paid it up. However I was well pleased with the customer service, and the young American lady I spoke to had been polite, professional and non-judgmental.

Every Android phone no matter what brand has a shit load of bloatware that you can't uninstall without breaking the warranty.

I've had horrible experiences with Microsoft customer support - awful charged me twice for one product spent months trying to get money back and then the process would be "almost there, just running it through accounts..." and my online link would die and I get a new customer service person when submitting another ticket and the process would start again.

I did this 7 or 8 times the process was never the same - every time a different person - never buying anything from their app store again.

For sure, they're selling it as a novelty item.

How convenient though.

You might be shopping in Tesco, suddenly feeling a bit weary and could ask one of the shop assistants:

'You couldn't get someone to blow this up for me, please'?

Screenshot_20201014_233526_resize_18.jpg

My wife got one of them when she retired.

She dressed as an old lady on her leaving do. In one pub a lesbian lady took a shine to her and asked if she could put my wife on her shoulders. As you do when you take a shine to someone.

Back