• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
See.. there you go and clearly an argument for contending Charles Fort did 'spiritually respond' to my plea for a, 'sign'...

Well, it's not that 'nothing' happened, is it...

:tumble:

Seriously, fascinating background and thank you so much!

Your suggested further reading shall duly be persued.

Fort is such an extraordinary character (I prefer 'is') and the more I learn of him, the more that seems to prevail!.
I do believe we have threads on signs/messages from Beyond, along with ones on feathers as evidence of the presence of angels and robins as messengers.

Speedball was brilliant. Many same hour was spent playing against my nephew. Violent, fast and fun to the max. An almost perfect game.

I adored my Amiga.

Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Sensible Soccer, Championship Manager, Cannon Fodder, Syndicate... but the ultimate for me was...

1604680480335.png

See.. there you go and clearly an argument for contending Charles Fort did 'spiritually respond' to my plea for a, 'sign'...

Well, it's not that 'nothing' happened, is it...

:tumble:

Seriously, fascinating background and thank you so much!

Your suggested further reading shall duly be persued.

Fort is such an extraordinary character (I prefer 'is') and the more I learn of him, the more that seems to prevail!.
If you are looking for an oracle, perhaps you didn't read the message correctly. Perhaps you now need to look up Dreisler, or talk to an old friend.:)

If you are looking for an oracle, perhaps you didn't read the message correctly. Perhaps you now need to look up Dreisler, or talk to an old friend.
It's been a strange old Fortean day.

Not going into great detail here, however, I have mentioned elsewhere that my granddaughter's mother passed away in February.

Long story and gist of which... little one doesn't have any photograph with herself and mum together, during last couple of years in mum's long term illness. Strangest request earlier today was that she asked if I could make one up from the last available picture of mum, in good health.

It was fairly straightforward to come up with a composite and obviously hope she likes same.

We had to naturally discuss the format and that was straightforward - a simple portrait.

It had occurred I could make mum appear to look like a spirit, in the background...

Thankfully, not... because that would just have been far too weird...

So, for now that's plenty enough about the deceased and back on topic!

Ermmm... kinda thing (i had actually forgotten which thread this was! :evillaugh:).

I just turned 54 on Saturday so I can't say I'm pleased to learn that news.

Reaching your fifty-fourth birthday is much better than the alternative.

If you have the sneaking suspicion that things were better in the old days, I might have evidence.

Can anybody manage the inflation adjustments?

EmNwv_wWMAAa681.jpeg

If you have the sneaking suspicion that things were better in the old days, I might have evidence.

Can anybody manage the inflation adjustments?

View attachment 31297
£1 in 1971 is worth £14.23 today
According to https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1971?amount=1
Other sites give similar figures so the cheapest pint works out at £1.42, if anyone knows any pubs with those prices please let the rest of us know! A brandy for nearly £2.80 is the most expensive item on the list.

I might have evidence
From one of us old-enough to have been there (in 1971AD I mean, not drinking at the bar), may I point-out that this drinks tariff has been addended, perhaps guilefully, so as to be from that year and month.....the exact time when the UK changed its currency to the decimal system.

Specifically, this bar list will have been one of the first, ever, to show drinks prices in New Pence (an incredibly-dated term).

When I was at school during this era, single digestive biscuits were sold to scholars at playtime tuckshop for 0.5p, a packet of crisps (cf 'chips') was 2p, and Popapoint pencils were 5p (vital for stabbing classmates and converting into dart blowpipes.....oranges, 2 for 5p, were cruelly-hunted in a wavering shooting gallery held high above the heads of the unwilling supporters.

ot9xk2fpfkx11.jpg

I used to drill the teeth of my chums in the playground with an electric motor recycled from a butchered Hornby OO-HO Flying Scotsman model locomotive, 45p from many weeks of pocket money (cf 'allowance')

Such economic benchmarks and social history anecdotes are both trivial yet vitally-important, since the march of time obliterates them all without mercy.

Last edited:
I used to drill the teeth of my chums in the playground with an electric motor recycled from a butchered Hornby OO-HO Flying Scotsman model locomotive, 45p from many weeks of pocket money (cf 'allowance')
o_O
So you became a dentist?

I agree. My partner died at age 56.

My displeasure was directed at the idea presented in the news item posted by EnolaGaia that a person's motivation and enthusiasm disappears around the age of 54. I like to think I still have considerable enthusiasm for many things in life.

... My displeasure was directed at the idea presented in the news item posted by EnolaGaia that a person's motivation and enthusiasm disappears around the age of 54. I like to think I still have considerable enthusiasm for many things in life.

I think there's a contextual element that's arguably missing from Sigmundsson's analysis - something that has to do with both (a) the state of one's life at the time when (according to his data) the combination of 'passion' and 'grit' fades and (b) how one views where he / she stands at that point.

It seems to me it makes a big difference whether one is satisfied with his / her situation versus feeling he / she has fallen short or even failed at that point.

Those among my long-term friends who ended up in dead end situations, short of their aspirations, seemed to give up in their early fifties, and the first one to die did so at 54. A second one went into personal stasis (no direction; no effort at progress) and died at 55. A third one was doing quite well career-wise, but still felt trapped into working himself to his limits because of circumstances. He drifted into chronic alcoholism by circa 55 and died at 57.

I think there's a contextual element that's arguably missing from Sigmundsson's analysis - something that has to do with both (a) the state of one's life at the time when (according to his data) the combination of 'passion' and 'grit' fades and (b) how one views where he / she stands at that point.

It seems to me it makes a big difference whether one is satisfied with his / her situation versus feeling he / she has fallen short or even failed at that point.

Those among my long-term friends who ended up in dead end situations, short of their aspirations, seemed to give up in their early fifties, and the first one to die did so at 54. A second one went into personal stasis (no direction; no effort at progress) and died at 55. A third one was doing quite well career-wise, but still felt trapped into working himself to his limits because of circumstances. He drifted into chronic alcoholism by circa 55 and died at 57.

My father maintains that he's too busy to die. I'm sorry, I just can't fit it into the schedule--call back next year.

Levity aside, and assuming you're not struck down by unavoidable illness, there's a virtue to remaining occupied with things you value.

So you became a dentist?
No, and I failed the entrance selection test for becoming a torture-room interrogator (I'm far too empathic, plus I made the mistake of asking to see their risk assessments).

Levity aside, and assuming you're not struck down by unavoidable illness, there's a virtue to remaining occupied with things you value.
Indeed: and Exhibit 'A' for that defence might well be this very conversation, or (more metafactually) this forum itself.

I keep subconsciously musing that I really must stop growing old, one of these days. I don't mean achieving that by dying, or being somehow freeze-paused, I mean that in an infinite number of ways I just cannot possibly accept the concept that I'm getting physically older. Perhaps I harbour the belief that I need to take some time-out and somehow get younger again...

For me (despite the irrationality of this thought) I somehow seem to think that aging is like a tolerable illness. That once certain phases&stages are traversed, a plateau of some degree of accomodated truce can be struck with the universe.

I've said a few times (in fact, maybe to some of you in person) that I take huge (indeed, mortal) offence when I see people incontrovertably-younger than me acting/looking/dieing as if they are/were older than me. Get out of that damn beige and go back to colour, or attitudinal black....get back on the horse, not the walking-frame.

Yes: I do accept the charge that I do (and have done) far too much with/in my life. My only excuse was that neither the range nor the depth was intentional....it just became that way, like an empty biscuit tin.

I find myself an unwilling participant in a self-recruited experiment, the parameters of which are entirely-unclear, yet inescapably-obvious....all the chips are on the table, all the time. It is NOT through choice, it is circumstance (but since free will is almost always illusory, who am I to say such a thing?)

Incredibly sad. I gave up career wise, after spending many years qualifying and progressing, I suppose at the relatively young age of 50. Since then I've had the time of my life! I wonder whether your friends had health issues which contributed to them giving up and leading to their early demise? By rights they should have had at least another 30 years on the planet.

Incredibly sad. I gave up career wise, after spending many years qualifying and progressing, I suppose at the relatively young age of 50. Since then I've had the time of my life! I wonder whether your friends had health issues which contributed to them giving up and leading to their early demise? By rights they should have had at least another 30 years on the planet.
And I think the attitude of looking for new things or taking on a passion that you always had, but never had time to pursue is the secret that keeps people "young".

I think we all know of people who only have a worklife and once it's gone, they believe they have no purpose nor interest in life. Some even die shortly after they've taken retirement.

This is one factor, I believe, studies on longevity and quality of life have found to be generally true of the traditional western male.

It is true that as we age, making new friends becomes more difficult. Numerous things can factor into this.

People with friends and who keep themselves involved in life do stay younger relative to their birth years.

I think we all know of people who only have a worklife and once it's gone, they believe they have no purpose nor interest in life. Some even die shortly after they've taken retirement.

This is one factor, I believe, studies on longevity and quality of life have found to be generally true of the traditional western male.
My Dad had 45 years of retirement. He was lucky enough to be offered early retirement from teaching.
It enabled him to do what he really loved - restore antiques, do a bit of furniture making, potter about at his own pace.
I can only dream about this kind of life right now - what I'd like is to get out of what I'm doing right now. Can't do it - it requires a ton of money.

My wife and I are old enough to see family members pass away.

I struggled with this for a long time until a American comedian, Carl Reiner, said “if you don’t see your name in the obituary, go have a good breakfast and enjoy the day”.

I had the Atari ST. For some reason I became convinced the sound was better.
Elite, Dungeon Master, Bard’s Tale and Star Trek were my faves.
The one good thing about the Atari was that it had a MIDI interface, so straight away it had better sound. If you added on lots of MIDI equipment.

My wife and I are old enough to see family members pass away.

I struggled with this for a long time until a American comedian, Carl Reiner, said “if you don’t see your name in the obituary, go have a good breakfast and enjoy the day”.
Everyone is old enough to see family members pass away, the deciding factor is if they are older or younger than you.

And I think the attitude of looking for new things or taking on a passion that you always had, but never had time to pursue is the secret that keeps people "young".

Agreed, but there's also a different strategy that doesn't defer pursuing one's interests / passion until after completing a lifelong career. It's not a path I'd recommend for anyone / everyone, but (as Hunter Thompson said of drugs, alcohol, violence, and insanity) it worked for me.

I made my entire adult life something of a quest to keep reinventing myself toward a certain (professional; expert) status in a subject matter area that was my passion from my initial college days. Phrased another way, I bent and leveraged my working life to support pursuit of my interests rather than having work / career serve as the objective in and of itself.

This involved having to exercise a lot of 'grit' (to use Sigmundsson's terminology) during my thirties, but IMHO it paid off from that point onward.

I was first employed as an expert-level researcher and trusted scout on new / emerging issues at 37. I was first given the opportunity to manage a research facility and agenda at circa 42. I was relieved of the 9-to-5 grind and formally allowed to work exclusively from home at 48. At that point I effectively became a consultant even though I was a full-time employee. By the time I turned 50 I'd earned a reputation as 'the guy' for certain interesting project work, which would be my bread and butter for the next two decades. In my mid-fifties I was the object of 3 university team efforts and an apprenticeship to understand how I did what I did, and my approach / techniques became a brand-name for my client population. When my then-current project was suspended for a year owing to funding cuts, my long-time employer laid me off. When the project resumed as predicted, the client made it clear I was to be the principal one way or the other. I then set myself up as a one-man consultancy at 62 and continued doing what I'd already been doing until after I reached my full retirement age of 66.

By the time I began drawing my retirement benefits I'd been pursuing my passion professionally for 30 years and leveraging it to make a living from home within a casual / semi-retired lifestyle for two decades. For me, full / formal retirement wasn't an abrupt shift, but something more like a smooth landing after a long leisurely glide path.

This has all been consistent with:

- A long-held concept for where I wanted to end up in terms of vocational style and status, as well as ...
- A similarly long-held belief that the most important thing to accrue and nurture during one's adult working life is 'slack.'

Yes, there have been sacrifices and outright losses along the way. On balance, I believe those downsides were more than offset by the rewards from doing what I still believe was right for me.

Phrased another way ... I've been doing what brownmane prescribed all along.

... I think we all know of people who only have a worklife and once it's gone, they believe they have no purpose nor interest in life. Some even die shortly after they've taken retirement. ...

I know this all too well. In a former incarnation (career platform for preparing for my longer-term vocational quest) I was a claims representative for the US Social Security Administration. Over the course of years I interviewed and set up retirement benefits for hundreds - quite possibly thousands - of retirees.

One could identify the ones you referred to - the typically working class (especially blue collar) folks who'd been doing the same thing often at the same place for 40 or more years. They were sometimes in a state of shell-shock when filing for their retirement benefits, and a lot of them wouldn't last more than a few years after fully retiring. Their example played a part in how I defined my long-term vocational objectives.

My wife and I are 75 years of age.

Our family members had good lives, but their deaths were hard.

When people die from cancer, stroke, and Alzheimer’s, your innocence is taken away from you.

My Dad had 45 years of retirement. He was lucky enough to be offered early retirement from teaching.
It enabled him to do what he really loved - restore antiques, do a bit of furniture making, potter about at his own pace.
I can only dream about this kind of life right now - what I'd like is to get out of what I'm doing right now. Can't do it - it requires a ton of money.
What I would like to be doing now doesn’t take a great deal of money, it’s the time I don’t have.
If I was to reduce my work hours (and believe me, I tried during Covid with no success) money may then be more of a problem.

What I would like to be doing now doesn’t take a great deal of money, it’s the time I don’t have.
If I was to reduce my work hours (and believe me, I tried during Covid with no success) money may then be more of a problem.
I am in this cleft stick too.
What I'd like to do will take time and money. I guess I could ditch one of my jobs and cut my hours to a 3 day week, but I'd have to do my stuff in a house with very little room. I guess I need to start very small.

One could identify the ones you referred to - the typically working class (especially blue collar) folks who'd been doing the same thing often at the same place for 40 or more years. They were sometimes in a state of shell-shock when filing for their retirement benefits, and a lot of them wouldn't last more than a few years after fully retiring. Their example played a part in how I defined my long-term vocational objectives.

Very wise! I used to know a fellow who would fit into the above category. He worked on the custodial staff at a local hospital for many years and he retired at age 65. His wife had died some years earlier and he had no children. Sadly, he died less than a year after his retirement. To my knowledge, he had no serious medical issues when he retired. His job may not have been very exciting but it gave him a reason to get out of bed in the morning. In the absence of any motivation, a person's life can indeed fall apart quickly.

Back