• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Seems that all compounds that cause vasodilatory warming smell like .. well, old men. The chilblains burn during the day but I have found some chamomile lotion that is quite soothing, and the toes are freezing at night regardless of socks or hot water bottles - even the toe nails have gone black.
Can't wait for this year would end

I reckon that you need to have your toes looked at BB.

It sounds more like frostbite mate.

And yeah - the old man smell - good eh...not!

Yes, one of these days your little piggies will go to market and they are not coming back.

Chilblains in Australia! I eat a lot of chilli and it does nothing for my chilblains.

Yeah...it gets a bit chilly on the tablelands Myth.

I've experienced -11 C (12 F), with a 40 K wind to just add to it, and in winter it always drops below freezing.

I think the chilblains were due to me being on washup in the Dairy, and a really cold winter.

Last edited:
Yeah...it gets a bit chilly on the tablelands Myth.

I've experienced -11 C (12 F), with a 40 K wind to just add to it, and in winter it always drops below freezing.

I think the chilblains were due to me being on washup in the Dairy, and a really cold winter.
Chilblains are definitely a cold/wet welly-boots phenomena.

Seems that all compounds that cause vasodilatory warming smell like .. well, old men. The chilblains burn during the day but I have found some chamomile lotion that is quite soothing, and the toes are freezing at night regardless of socks or hot water bottles - even the toe nails have gone black.
Can't wait for this year would end

If your toenails are black your problem may not be just chilblains.

I'm 37 tomorrow. I'm going to do my best not to post anywhere about feeling old because I know it only serves to haunt/annoy the me that inevitably sees that post again 10 years later and curses my youth! XD
Congrats. I don't think people acknowledge their own mortality until they reach 40, then they see middle age on the horizon.

get your blood pressure checked.
Only recently realised that the pneumatic air compressor I sometimes hear in the distance at night, was in my head. This was further pinned down as my (rapid) pulse. Once I identified that, it quietened down.

There was a comedienne with the line 'whenever some-one asks if I've got any spare change, I reply I don't know, I haven't finished living my life yet.'
I've started compiling a running budget on incomings and outgoings, calculating how much longer I'll be working, what my pension will be and of course how much longer I can reasonably expect to be around. I will then factor in my life savings (funeral can come out of my Life policy). The idea is determine whether I've got any 'spare change' and to spend it now whilst I can still enjoy it.
In other words, I want to buy a spare coil or two for my metal detector (and a helmet camera) but cannot justify it (yet).

There was a comedienne with the line 'whenever some-one asks if I've got any spare change, I reply I don't know, I haven't finished living my life yet.'
I've started compiling a running budget on incomings and outgoings, calculating how much longer I'll be working, what my pension will be and of course how much longer I can reasonably expect to be around. I will then factor in my life savings (funeral can come out of my Life policy). The idea is determine whether I've got any 'spare change' and to spend it now whilst I can still enjoy it.
In other words, I want to buy a spare coil or two for my metal detector (and a helmet camera) but cannot justify it (yet).

I save quite a chunk of money each year by not spending coins. I only spend paper money and then I have anywhere from $7-$800 depending on how many twonies and loonies I have. Which is a pain to roll up but well worth it. :)

Being considerate.

The world's oldest person has withdrawn from the Olympic torch relay, saying she's worried about spreading Covid-19 to others in her nursing home.

Kane Tanaka, 118, was supposed to take part in the relay for Tokyo 2020 in Fukuoka, southern Japan, on 11 May. The relay, which began in March, has been hit by a coronavirus outbreak, with eight cases linked to the event. Last month, amid a surge in cases, Japan declared a state of emergency in major cities including Tokyo and Osaka. Several celebrities have also pulled out of the torch relay over concerns about the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57006198

Being considerate.

The world's oldest person has withdrawn from the Olympic torch relay, saying she's worried about spreading Covid-19 to others in her nursing home.

Kane Tanaka, 118, was supposed to take part in the relay for Tokyo 2020 in Fukuoka, southern Japan, on 11 May. The relay, which began in March, has been hit by a coronavirus outbreak, with eight cases linked to the event. Last month, amid a surge in cases, Japan declared a state of emergency in major cities including Tokyo and Osaka. Several celebrities have also pulled out of the torch relay over concerns about the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57006198

I get this all the time, what's her number? She needs to man up ffs.

I am definitely growing old, looking at this year's Brit Award winners my reaction was either "who?" Or "them! But they are shit!"

I guess this kind of fits for this thread.
A brilliant interview with William Shatner as he turns 90.
He is still as sharp as a tack and could pass for someone decades younger with his attitude and demeanour.
Here he talks for about 20 minutes discussing his current life and loves, and plans for the future, how he copes with the 'loneliness of old age', aging and death etc etc. He hasn't slowed down. At all!
What a legend.

I don’t mind growing old.

Yes, I worry about Alzheimer’s as I get older. Happy Christmas!
f0rosesarered_f_Pink.jpg

Back