• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Nice thought, Niall114. I like it!

I had a bit of a wobble for a while, coinciding with not having any money and having a job where i have to dress smartly; then I snapped out of it and decided obviously i was going to look and feel old if i dressed old. So i went back to how i used to shop, and had a haircut without worrying if i was too old for it and i feel much better now!

(possibly everyone is saying i look like mutton dressed as lamb these days, but the golf ladies had me down as a good 5 years younger than i am and i have even been mistaken for another girl golfer who's a teenager! By a total fool, of course. But still, take your comfort where you find it, right?)

When my son first beat me playing a video game. Keeps happenning more and more often too. MIght have to ban him from them for some reason, just so I'm not reminded about how my reflexes are about as quick as a three toed sloth.

Older men 'happy with sex lives'

Men in their 50s have more satisfying sex lives than men in their 30s, a survey suggests.
A team from Norway and the US surveyed 1,185 men aged between 20 and 79, and found more problems with impotence and declining sex drive in older men.

But despite this, men in their 50s reported similar levels of satisfaction with their sex lives as those in their 20s.

Details are published in the urology journal BJU International.

The men, who responded to a postal questionnaire, were asked to rate their satisfaction with various aspects of their sex life on a scale of zero to four, with four representing good sexual function and no problems.

Men in their 20s recorded an average overall satisfaction level of 2.79, while the second highest level was among those in their 50s, who recorded an average of 2.77.

Men in their 30s only reached 2.55, and men in their 40s averaged 2.72.

After the age of 59, overall satisfaction fell significantly to 2.46 for men in their 60s and to 2.14 for men in their 70s.

However, when it came to sexual function, each of the scores moved steadily downwards toward zero as the respondents got older, indicating lower levels of function and more problems.

The average score for satisfaction with sexual drive was 2.19 out of four, ranging from 2.79 for men in their 20s to 1.54 for men in their 70s

Satisfaction with erections averaged 2.83, falling sharply once men reached their 50s; men in their 20s scored 3.63, men in their 50s 3.03 and men in their 70s 1.6

Satisfaction with ejaculation averaged 3.28 and showed a more measured decline with age, falling more sharply for men in their 60s and 70s. Men in their 20s averaged 3.85 while men in their 70s averaged 2.32

'Less hung up'

Researcher Professor Sophie Fossa, from the Rikshospitalet-Radiumhospitalet Trust in Oslo, said: "The results showed a very strong correlation between men getting older and reduced sexual functioning, but not between age and sexual satisfaction.

"Age accounted for a 22% variance in sexual drive, a 33% variance in erection issues and a 23% variance in ejaculation issues.

"But age only accounted for a variance of 3% in overall satisfaction.

"Our results show that, although men experience more problems and less sexual function as they get older, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are less satisfied with their sex lives as a result."

Ronald Bracey, a psychologist with a special interest in male sexuality, told the BBC News website he was not surprised by the results.

"Men in their 30s and 40s are often too stressed by things such as being successful in their career to enjoy sex.

"But by the time men get into their 50s, they have usually adjusted to what they want out of life, and tend to be less hung up, less concerned by what other people think of them, and less prone to performance anxiety."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4735030.stm
8)

feen5 said:
And for those of you who think that 32 is not old just wait til you get to 32, and those of you who think that 32 is still very young it maybe but i can't help feeling that years now seem to get quicker and quicker.

Blimey feen5 you said it for me there!

One for nostalgic oldies!
Cream's lost lyrics for sale
By Richard Alleyne
(Filed: 23/02/2006)

Original lyrics by the Sixties supergroup Cream that were found in an old shopping bag are expected to fetch at least £100,000 when they are sold at auction next month.

The handwritten manuscripts for some of the band's most famous songs had been lost for almost 30 years when they were discovered in an old paper bag by a cleaner.

The words of White Room, Wrapping Paper and Deserted Cities of The Heart, were scribbled in ballpoint pen by Pete Brown, who wrote the lyrics to many of the band's hits with bass guitarist Jack Bruce.

The guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker then helped to put them to music for the group.

Ted Owen, the director of auctioneers Cooper Owen, said Pete Brown's cleaner was about to throw away a bag full of screwed-up bits of paper when he found the lyrics among them. They will be auctioned online on March 9.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... xhome.html

feen5 said:
And for those of you who think that 32 is not old just wait til you get to 32, and those of you who think that 32 is still very young it maybe but i can't help feeling that years now seem to get quicker and quicker.
I remember being at primary school, back in the days when the year 2000 seemed like some unimaginable future. It was clear to us in the mid-1970s that by 2000, we'd all live lives of luxury and leisure and drive cars which would fly us anywhere we wanted. It was so far ahead, it was like predicting the plot of some classic Sci-Fi novel. To cap it all, my friends and I realised that we'd be 32 - 32!!! - in 2000. Well, that proved that 2000 was definitely the far future. I mean, when you're 8, 16-year-olds seem to have the wisdom of Solomon, so 32 might as well be infinity.

Sitting here writing this, 2000 seems a long time ago, and I'm nearer to 40 than 35. Getting nearer all the time, in fact. It's little use saying (despite it being true) that my mind still feels much the same as when I was 20, with just a smattering of experience to show the passing of the years - the physical evidence tells a completely different story.

I think my mind got caught in a time warp abruptly somewhere around 1994. :D So I suppose mentally I stopped at 24.

I have reasoned thus: when your're 30 you'll wish you were 20 again; when your're 40 you'll wish you were 30 once more etc. Why not enjoy the present life phase for what it's worth?! What is more, it is possible that we will live till we are 90-100 (or even longer, God forbid) so at 35 you may be only about 1/3 of the way through. In that case, are 'middle aged' or 'old' still appropriate terms!?

I'm not immune to regret though. I wake up with cold sweats trying to fathom where all the years got sucked away and whether I made the best use of them. I wake up thinking that I'll be 40 in an eyeblink and I can't quite believe that it's happening to me. I haven't entered my DOB in my personal notes on the FTMB because I felt depressed seeing it in front of me all the time.

Ultimately though, I really wouldn't want to be 24 again. Because I was a naive prat. I'm happier within my own skin, so sod it!

Peripart said:
I remember being at primary school, back in the days when the year 2000 seemed like some unimaginable future. It was clear to us in the mid-1970s that by 2000, we'd all live lives of luxury and leisure and drive cars which would fly us anywhere we wanted. It was so far ahead, it was like predicting the plot of some classic Sci-Fi novel. To cap it all, my friends and I realised that we'd be 32 - 32!!! - in 2000. Well, that proved that 2000 was definitely the far future. I mean, when you're 8, 16-year-olds seem to have the wisdom of Solomon, so 32 might as well be infinity.

I think my favourite band They Might Be Giants summed it up best in the song Trapped In a World Before Later On.
I'm trapped in a world before later on,

Where's my hovercraft?
Where's my jet pack?
Where's the font of acquired wisdom that eludes me now?

We're trapped in a world before later on,
We're trapped in a world before later on,

Where's our telray?
Where's our space face?
Where are all the complications we won't see around?

I remember spendng most of 2000 bemoaning the fact that I wasn't wearing a tin foil Boob Tube!

theyithian said:
Niall114 said:
rynner said:
Older men 'happy with sex lives'

Men in their 50s have more satisfying sex lives than men in their 30s, a survey suggests.

OK Rynner, rub it in.... :roll:

Is that step one in 'satisfying sex'?

We shouldn't knock it until we've tried it...

..sorry, it's all going 'Frankie Howerd' - everything a double entendre..

Ooh stop it!

Interestingly enough I had to interview a guy called Dr Mark Hamilton on this very topic a few weeks ago, he gave some pretty convincing reasons. So yes, our sex lives get better when we're in our 50s. *rubs hands together with glee and waits for two and a half decades to elapse*

CodenameThrow said:
*rubs hands together with glee and waits for two and a half decades to elapse*

whipper-snapper you've not even got your adult teeth yet!

What happened to sexual peak of men being between 17-21 and women was I think 32?

As a result for four years I repeated that fact to any ladies that I thought were in their early thirties, without it has to be said, much success.

Didn't think it'd be long before you two turned up...

theyithian said:
Didn't think it'd be long before you two turned up...

Well speaking personally, I can smell an entendre at thirty paces. :D

Heckler20 said:
What happened to sexual peak of men being between 17-21 and women was I think 32?

HA HA HA HA HA! :rofl:

If I'm peaking, it's not showing!*

*Just to join in with the double entondywhatsits there.

I might have known the kiddies would hijack this thread and start sniggering about sex. :roll:

However, for us real oldies, this:
Folk award for Fairport guitarist

Guitarist Richard Thompson has been given a lifetime achievement award by the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards.
He was handed the award by Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler before performing solo and with his original band Fairport Convention.

John Tams was presented with the folk singer of the year award by Bob Hoskins, and received album of the year for The Reckoning.

Julie Fowlis won best newcomer and Kate Rusby was named best live act.

Chris Wood and Hugh Lupton were awarded best original song for One in a Million, while musician of the year went to Michael McGoldrick.

Changing line-up

Among the presenters on the night were Charles Dance, Adrian Edmondson and Jack Vettriano.

Fellow Fairport Convention member Ashley Hutchings was named the winner of the "good tradition" award, presented by actor Sylvester McCoy.

There was also a performance from part of the Fairport Convention line-up which recorded the LP Liege and Lief, voted most influential folk album of all time in a listener vote.

The group has gone through numerous line-up changes in its nearly 40-year history.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4686882.stm
Folk Rock On! 8)

akaWiintermoon said:
Heckler20 said:

HA HA HA HA HA! :rofl:

If I'm peaking, it's not showing!*

*Just to join in with the double entondywhatsits there.

The Frog, Wintermoon... Any more old posters to be shaken out today?

rynner said:
I might have known the kiddies would hijack this thread and start sniggering about sex. :roll:

You started it, you brought up the 'S' word first! ;)

Err theyithian, the frog? You've lost me?!

akaWiintermoon said:
rynner said:

You started it, you brought up the 'S' word first! ;)

Err theyithian, the frog? You've lost me?!

Sorry, yes, that is a little impenetrable.

I found another long-time poster (like your good self) i thought had left: The Frog, posting under another name yesterday.

Ooh, I see. Yup, it's deffinatly me posting as me. :) I moved AGAIN you see. That's why I was off line for a while. I've vowed NEVER to move again unless I win the lottery so I can pay someone else to do all the packing/moving/unpacking. Or if I win millions, sod it all and start again from scratch! :D

Err, that's on topic cuz I'm too old to keep heaving furniture around. ;)

A story from the regional daily:
http://tinyurl.com/e7s2d

When I was a student, the village of Ide was nowhere near any main roads (it was wonderfully secluded), and the stream she crashed in I used to pass on my way to the village pubs, several times a week. There was also a ford there. (This was back in the 60s.)

Since then, the A30 was built (or diverted) through Ide.

:(

For any young uns who were baffled by my recent reference elsewhere to Lobby Ludd:
"You are Colly Kibber and I claim the Daily Messenger prize", Graham Green in Brighton Rock paraphrasing The News Chronicle who had a promotional character called Lobby Ludd who toured seaside towns giving away £5 notes when being successfully challenged.
When I was a kid, my parents took the News Chronicle (now long defunct), so I became familiar with this phrase. A succesful challenge meant you had to be carrying a copy of the paper.

The idea was that people tended not to bother buying a paper on holiday (and most holidays then were spent in this country), so this challenge encouraged them to keep taking the paper.

(And £5 was worth something then! :D )

Stormkhan wrote...
Then again, it was the year of the last, truly free festival at Stonehenge at which I attended. Hawkwind were headlining, minds were free ...

Stormkhan, you old hippy! :D

I was there too :likee:

Life has moved on somewhat from those days <sigh>

Regards
Bazizjustanoldhippytoouno

Here's a great story for this thread:
Man will be 158 before debt paid

A Northumberland pensioner will be 158 years old before he repays £25,000 he was accidentally overpaid by a council.
The 75-year-old former local authority worker has been asked to pay back the vastly inflated pension he was awarded at £25 a month.

At that rate it would take him 83 years to pay back the cash to Northumberland County Council, which uncovered the mistake in 2003 during an audit.

The council declined to give further details about the "unique" situation.

'Immediate action'

A spokesman said it was a personal matter between the pensioner and the local authority and refused to say what would happen when the man dies.

A brief statement added: "This is a unique case with special circumstances and we have taken the appropriate action to rectify it.

"It was an error which was uncovered in an audit three years ago and we took immediate action to recover our proceeds.

"We cannot go into the details of the arrangements as it is something which has been made between the individual and the council."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4762410.stm

Spitfire maiden flight re-enacted

Thousands of people are expected to watch a re-enactment of the very first test flight of the Spitfire - 70 years after it first took to the skies.
Five of the Southampton-built fighter planes will take off from the airport and fly in formation over the city.

Aboard one of them during Sunday's event will be 93-year-old Alex Henshaw, the chief test pilot during WWII.

Mr Henshaw, from Newmarket, Suffolk, said he flew his first "Spit" from Eastleigh on his birthday.

"For me this is really full circle as I first flew the Spitfire from Eastleigh on my birthday in November 1939 and this is the last time I will go up in one so it's very nostalgic," he said.

"I am feeling my age and it's not good having ideas in the mind that the body cannot carry out."

Mr Henshaw said he would be taking control of the aircraft while in the air and, although he said he would still be able to land it, there might be a few insurance problems.

Many of the planes were built at the Supermarine plant in Southampton

"I doubt the insurance will allow me to land it but if you can drive a car then you can fly a plane," he said.

Even though four pilots in his team were killed and Mr Henshaw himself escaped injury by bailing out twice, he is full of praise for the Spitfire.

"The Spitfire is the most outstanding low wing monoplane ever built," he said.

"The Hurricane was a fantastic aircraft and contributed as much as the Spitfire but although the Spitfire didn't win the war, it would have been lost without it."

Some of the veterans who built the first Spitfire at the Supermarine factory in Woolston, in 1936, and some of those who flew them will be watching the flypast from Mayflower Park.

Among them is expected to be Dr Gordon Mitchell, the son of Reginald Mitchell, who designed the aircraft.

Mr Mitchell died from cancer in 1937, at the age of 42 and only a year after seeing the prototype of his design make its maiden flight.

More than 20,000 Spitfires - which played a crucial role in the Battle of Britain - were built at the Woolston site.

The factory was also the reason much of Southampton was destroyed by German bombing during the war.

Weather permitting, the planes will take off at 1630 GMT and fly in salute over the factory site, up Southampton Water and back over Eastleigh to the airport at an altitude of 700ft (213m).

The eight minute flight will re-create the plane's first ever flight which took off from Eastleigh airfield - now Southampton International Airport - on 5 March, 1936, at 1630 GMT.

The flypast, which is being supported by Southampton City Council, and Southampton Airport, is being arranged by the Solent Sky museum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 775726.stm

OAPs will outnumber children next year
By Sarah Womack, Social Affairs Correspondent
(Filed: 08/03/2006)

Pensioners in Britain will outnumber children under 16 for the first time next year, Age Concern has claimed.

By 2031 those above state pension age will exceed children by almost four million.

The combination of a fall in the birth rate and increasing longevity meant that the population as a whole was ageing, the charity said.

There are currently about 12 million people over the age of 60 in Britain, accounting for just over a fifth of the population.

But it is estimated that, in 2030, there will be 19 million, about a third of the population, outnumbering all adults under the age of 40.

At the same time, the mean age of the population is expected to rise from 39.5 now to 43.3 by 2031.

The figures were published as the charity warned that fewer than half of older people are now registered with an NHS dentist and take-up of benefits to help retired people pay their council tax bills had decreased because the benefits were so complicated to access.

A report launched at its Age Agenda conference said that while the overall picture for elderly people was not entirely gloomy - employment rates for older people are slowly increasing - there was much progress to be made.

It set out five challenges for the Government, including a "lasting settlement on pensions" which increases the level and coverage of the state pension, encourages savings, protects the most disadvantaged, and provides security for the future.

The Government must also "positively implement" legislation on age equality in employment and learning, championing the spirit as well as the letter of the law, by outlawing mandatory retirement ages.
Hey, whaddya know! I'm part of a trend! :D

Back