• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Absolutely crazy.
My Dad's Mum sold off his inheritance cheaply too. He was most upset once all the financial details were sorted out after her death. He and his brother were told by their father that they would inherit a parcel of land across the road from the house. After grandfather's death, Nana sold off that land very cheaply without telling them and she moved into another house closer to the town centre. Years later, she died in a nursing home. There was very little money left.
A cousin of mine 'invested' my grandmother's estate, for which he got a fine commission. When she died, there was a small and weirdly totalled cheque* and a complete lack of transparency regarding what went on and extraordinary aggression in response to polite enquiries. You know, they forget I'm the clever one...some people are such weasels.

* The sort of number you make up to make it seem real, but fails to convince.

I have the same attitude. Plus you might not get hit by that bus after all but wish you would be.

Which attitude, the 'I refuse to make an effort with my health because I might drop dead anyway' one? That's defeatism.

Not, I hasten to add, that I care about anyone else's health. We are all adults and entitled to a choice. An unhealthy choice is as valid as a healthy one. You just don't get to enjoy it for as long. :p

... We are all adults and entitled to a choice. An unhealthy choice is as valid as a healthy one.

Agreed ...

You just don't get to enjoy it for as long. :p

In the interest of balance, here's the countervailing version ...

A healthy choice is as valid as an unhealthy one. :omr:

You just don't get to enjoy as much or as intensely, accrue as many humorous 'war stories', nor make it to the finish line before getting dispirited about how long you've been running ... :evillaugh:

Which attitude, the 'I refuse to make an effort with my health because I might drop dead anyway' one? That's defeatism.

Not, I hasten to add, that I care about anyone else's health. We are all adults and entitled to a choice. An unhealthy choice is as valid as a healthy one. You just don't get to enjoy it for as long. :p
No, I meant the same attitude as you! (I can't see an embarrassed looking smilie but I like this one so I am using it instead->:aplfm:)

* polishes bike *

[Yith: :oops:]

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about my grandfather and his will was, nobody was all that keen on getting his property. They all thought it was more trouble than it was worth. However, no one wanted to deprive him of the joy he got from threatening to disinherit.

If you could have seen him in his last years, busily drawing up plans to divide the family farm this way and that way - he was as happy as a kid in a candy store.

No, I meant the same attitude as you! (I can't see an embarrassed looking smilie but I like this one so I am using it instead->:aplfm:)

* polishes bike *

Oh silly me, my mistake! What was I thinking? You are even more health and exercise mad than I am! My apologies.

Hope I'm that fit at 91!

Harjinder S Kukreja‏Verified account@SinghLions 18m18 minutes ago
Dalbir Singh Deol, aged 91, is officially the oldest athlete to represent UK in world athletics.Recently he won a 100m gold in Denmark #Sikh

DF_SUUrVwAAjzD0.jpg

Amazingly well preserved for 91.

Hes stopped driving now. No reported accidents until 102 isn't bad I guess.

A judge has struck out the case of a man charged with careless driving after hearing he was 102-years-old at the time of the crash.

Jack Hannigan was involved in a traffic accident at Main Street in Stranorlar, Co Donegal on July 10th last year.

The court heard that Mr Hannigan had never been involved in a traffic accident in his decades of driving.

A rather surprised Judge Paul Kelly asked Mr Hannigan’s solicitor, Phyllis McRory, if he was correct in thinking that her client was almost 104 years old.

Ms McRory said this was indeed the case and that he had never appeared in court before.

However, the solicitor said that her client was now no longer behind the wheel. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...ving-case-struck-out-on-age-grounds-1.3170172

JamesWhitehead said:
Ah, you know, I can still remember when ryn. was a mod*. Then we all moaned at him for squishing threads.

He was usually right though.
Well thank you, James, for those kind words.

Newer members may wonder why I became un-modded. The answer is that my computer at the time died, and I couldn't afford a replacement, so I was away from the board for over a year.

On my eventual return, there were already new mods in place, and I was happy not to have the hassle!

When you get to my age, there are more immediate problems to worry about (just to get back on thread! 8) ).
Those were the days, my friends.

46 years behind me - hit the halfway point one month ago. 46 ahead of me. What to do? What to do?

46 ahead of me. What to do? What to do?

@skinny, I'm both intrigued (and relieved) to hear that your warranty appears to exceed the biblical 'three score years and ten' Old Testament allocation by at least 22years.

Has this been ordained by powers beyond our ken? Been imbued via some alchemical full-body dip? Or selected as an option during purchase checkout by your Mum?

I'm from a vat-batch about a decade earlier than your good self, and unfortunately have been forced to be in 4WD vertically uphill in the rain ever since I reached the babyfaced foothills of forty-six.

selected as an option during purchase checkout by your Mum?
That's the one.

Actually, I have decided that's my goal. I call it my 92up project. It is as good a project as any.

Daily steps
Step 1: Get off the burger and boozetrain.
Step 2: Take more than 2 steps away from the recliner each day.
Step 3: Engage latent creative talents again as life career #2.

2 off the list so far today. Procrastinating on the third.

have been forced to be in 4WD vertically uphill in the rain ever since I reached the babyfaced foothills of forty-six.
Keep on truckin', mate.

My childhood and teenaged years were markedly odd and strangely gilded (it was old fashioned and isolated but ludicrously happy for the most part), my 20s and 30s were kind of wild but brilliant fun, my 40s have been not fun (no two ways about that) but with the big 50 looming over the horizon (I'll hit it in December), I'm starting to feel rather optimistic again. I had been prepared to coast downhill for the rest of my life till I fell off my sledge, but something clicked in my brain (don't ask what because I don't have a clue) and I'm getting all feisty again.

Yith was playing the song in the pub earlier: Don't Give Up!!! (I think that pint of goblin's gone to my head!:beer:)

Those were the days, my friends.

46 years behind me - hit the halfway point one month ago. 46 ahead of me. What to do? What to do?

That is tricky existential dilemna. A psychiatrist might describe it as 'the battle of midway', ho ho.

Everything ages.
Everything changes.
The winds of change.
We can escape neither....

Everything ages.
Everything changes.
The winds of change.
We can escape neither....

Ah, damn, S-D...I have a terrible problem with the concept with finality and time. I struggle to accept it. I wonder if its not some mental affliction. As the young people like to say, it 'triggers' me. Your words are a poisoned arrow!

Your words are a poisoned arrow!

It's worth having a look at some of the meditation books (Thich Nhat Hanh wrote an excellent one as did Larry Rosenburg) based around the Anapanasati sutra. It deals in the last section with relinquishment and the acceptance of finality, particularly accepting your own finality. You don't need to be a Buddhist, self reflection is always valuable and coming to an acceptance that you too one day won't be here, can have a profound effect on your thinking.

Ah, damn, S-D...I have a terrible problem with the concept with finality and time. I struggle to accept it. I wonder if its not some mental affliction. As the young people like to say, it 'triggers' me. Your words are a poisoned arrow!
Well, I will be 60 soon and I don't mind those winds of change, as long as I stay healthy.
Right now I am fighting a bone infection from a recent surgery. But other than that I am in good shape for my age.
Next 60 years? Bring it on!!
If not, I have an ace in the hole.
I will haunt....

It's worth having a look at some of the meditation books (Thich Nhat Hanh wrote an excellent one as did Larry Rosenburg) based around the Anapanasati sutra. It deals in the last section with relinquishment and the acceptance of finality, particularly accepting your own finality. You don't need to be a Buddhist, self reflection is always valuable and coming to an acceptance that you too one day won't be here, can have a profound effect on your thinking.

A hefty bereavement usually sorts out any lingering doubts about one's attitude to death.

Well, I will be 60 soon and I don't mind those winds of change, as long as I stay healthy.
Right now I am fighting a bone infection from a recent surgery. But other than that I am in good shape for my age.
I will haunt....

I'm 57 and fighting fit. If nanotech doesn't give me long life then hopefully my consciousness c.an be uploaded.Then theres also option three: I'll come back & haunt as well.

Rynner could be our entry in this contest; it might bring about his return to the board.

Sao Paulo chooses its most handsome granddad
Each year the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo chooses its "most handsome elderly man" in a beauty contest where charisma is as important as looks.

This year's winner, 76-year-old Jose dos Santos Neves, said: "When you're as old as me, it's an achievement".

The competition is a city initiative to promote self-esteem among senior citizens.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-la...ost-handsome-granddad?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Vid at link.

I will haunt....

Haunt? That's the spirit! Corny pun intended. Glad to hear you are recovering well. May you continue to do so. I lost a lung to an infection several years ago. Had emergency surgery in a last ditch effort to save my life, 'died' in recovery and was revived...remained in a coma for a few days and then came back. Some things may have came back with me...but that's another story and another thread lol

I'm 57 and fighting fit. If nanotech doesn't give me long life then hopefully my consciousness c.an be uploaded.Then theres also option three: I'll come back & haunt as well.

I dare say you act like it as well (smile). I think that's like half the secret to staying fit myself. Think and act like you're a twenty year old and there's got to be some upside to that mind set. Old age would be perfectly acceptable if it came with the body of a 20 year old and then death would be worth fighting against.

I'm over 60, just started collecting my pension a couple months ago, waiting on social security for a while yet, but about a year ago I was hit out of the blue with facial paralysis. At first they thought it was nothing and said it was obviously bells palsy and would go away. Typically in a few months. Well it's been over a year and while 90% improved it's not gone. I've since read up and it appears to be a viral infection. There's nothing they can do to help you. Going to a doctor is a complete waste of time and money with this stuff.

There can only be so many things which can cause nerves to begin to fail. Of them mine is the most desirable since it promises to maybe leave. Otherwise it's prepare for final exit. One way or the other you're leaving. Got it?

At the time it was extremely frightening and came on inside of a couple hours. I thought it was a stroke and which is a common misconception. I became concerned that I might end up unable to move so I went and put a rope around a tree and fashioned a nose with which to hang myself if it came down to it. No way in hell am I going to veg in a wheelchair or sit in a bed crapping in my drawers.

Everybody must make their own choices. I did some of my undergraduate work with a professor whom was also the chief deputy coroner for the local county, and so death is perhaps less frightening to myself. I recommend a book called Final Exit: For that day.

PS: Don't put this off. Knowing how to end your own life is as important as knowing how life is created. You don't want to screw this up. Personally I prefer just getting a copy of the book Final Exit, but for the extremely lazy....

Incredibly the book is now on video ...so much easier that way ya know.

Last edited:
Back