• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Can't believe, realised I wrote this earlier.

E-mailing an acquaintance re our fruitless endeavors to locate some archive football footage, which we knew existed, I replied:

"I would expect to find at least something online in this day and age".

'In this day and age'...

Good grief...:reap:

The real problem with that sort of quiz is when the results show that you've already been dead for several months...
And you still don't get it...

30442767_2050155431723843_6763607291062124544_n.png

I went to a Vietnamese wedding today with my daughter. The groom's father, who lives next door said that as we had been friends for many years maybe in 10 or 20 years when we are gone our children will still be friends.
That made me feel a bit old, then the assistant priest came up after and said he remembered me teaching from when he went to primary school..

Time must be running out but they were finally reunited.

An 81-year-old Irish woman has described herself as the "happiest person alive" after finding her birth mother following a 61-year search for her family.

Eileen Macken, who was brought up in an orphanage in Dublin, first began looking for her birth family when she was 19 and had continued to hunt in order to find out medical history for her children. Macken had first contacted an Irish radio station last year looking for help in tracking down her relatives. Following the interview, she was contacted by a genealogist who worked tirelessly to finally reunite Macken with her birth mother. The 81-year-old contacted the station again to tell them the good news, explaining that she had enjoyed a phone call already with her 103-year-old mother, who now lives in England and has two other sons.

"I can't believe it, and when I got the word that she was alive, all I wanted to do is to meet her," she told the station.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/a...ds-mother-alive-aged-103#.XExTHFidbxQ.twitter

You know you're getting old: when you need reading glasses. Has been using prescription glasses for short sightedness since I was 11 y.o.

I need computer glasses as well, but the reading glasses works almost OK for the LCD screen. Just takes some time to get used to.

You know you're getting old: when you need reading glasses. Has been using prescription glasses for short sightedness since I was 11 y.o.

I need computer glasses as well, but the reading glasses works almost OK for the LCD screen. Just takes some time to get used to.

My main specs're varifocals, with reading ones for the bedside laptop. Considering laser treatment.

This veteran will have a cheerful birthday.

A World War Two veteran who asked to be sent 100 cards for his 100th birthday says he is "really excited" to have received thousands from all over the world.

A photograph of Joe Cuba holding a handwritten sign has been shared thousands of times on social media. It reads: "I'm a WW2 veteran who will be turning 100 on 2 March 2019. I would like to receive 100 birthday cards." So far, he has received 10,000 cards - and his birthday is still days away. Joe told BBC News: "I really didn't expect all the cards. I got a whole bunch of them - and I couldn't thank everyone enough."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47369748

This is brilliant!

We had a petting snakes which would visit several times each year. Meeting a friendly snake seems to be quite popular :) Also theme park rides and crazy golf :)

Secretary at Robertson's Jam eh? You know about these Gollywogs, do you? I think you had better come along quietly . . . :rcard:

I still have a Golly badge.

Does that make me a white fundamentalist ? And. even worst, I know most of the song 'Waiting for the Robert E Lee' .

;)

It was never there on time.......

Getting all that mud out from between ones toes is a bit of a drag.

Ramonmercado,

I just read that post you refer to above.

And I have no wish to re-ignite that particular fire.

I'll just make sure I carry my next bag of Uncle Ben's rice home in a plain brown wrapper.

INT21.

Ramonmercado,

I just read that post you refer to above.

And I have no wish to re-ignite that particular fire.

I'll just make sure I carry my next bag of Uncle Ben's rice home in a plain brown wrapper.

INT21.

But Professor Molyneux is still in Ireland! You really should take him back after Brexitt!

Of course. But anyone who is the editor of Irish Marxist Review may be greeted with a mixed reception.

I changed jobs recently not for more money or a promotion, more to do with just needing a change before I get too senile.

The meetings have been fun with the upcoming young go-getters trying to score points and put me in my place as I'm the junior noob.

To quote David Gemmel and Druss the Legend:

“Boy," said Druss, ( NF-yep it's me), his eyes cold, "think well about this venture. For make no mistake, you cannot
stand before me and live. No man ever has. The words were spoken softly, yet no one, (in the team meeting), disbelieved the
old man,".

that's me that is. :wcry::fence:

Young *ckers who think they know it all! I've seen off a fair few of you in my time! Where's Rynner when you need him!

Last edited:
I've spent most of my life paying taxes to ensure our elderly are covered, now lords wants to curb pensioner benefits.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news...says-report/ar-BBWgg5q?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=TSHDHP

Odd that you should mention Lord’s Swifty, as I‘m looking at a real life Lord right now – he works in my office and sits a few desks behind me

You want me to have a word with him about this proposed pensioners benefits cut..?....this uneducated east end kid (or oldie - I’m nearly 50 FFS) is more senior than that toffee nosed twat. HA.!!

I’m only joking, he is very nice guy, very down to earth and quite a decent bloke, no pomp about him whatsoever.

Perhaps you could superglue yourself to him? :)

Back