• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Hangovers? I don't ever drink that much for that to happen.
I returned to my flat with a mate after a session down the pub over the xmas period a few years ago, whilst at home we drank a bottle of port between us, i had the worst hangover i have ever had which lasted 3 days :eek:

I returned to my flat with a mate after a session down the pub over the xmas period a few years ago, whilst at home we drank a bottle of port between us, i had the worst hangover i have ever had which lasted 3 days :eek:

Can't match that, but my three housemates and I, whilst at teaching college, sank 3 bottles of English sherry one night. Not a good idea when I had to go on a school visit the next day!

Can't match that, but my three housemates and I, whilst at teaching college, sank 3 bottles of English sherry one night. Not a good idea when I had to go on a school visit the next day!
The worse one was a friend and i sat in her bedsit the night before we were starting back at work the next day (after the xmas break) and drank 2 bottles of spiced rum passing out a 4 am, we had to be at work at 7 am, we were working on a shop refit and she ended up asleep in a stairwell for an hour during the day :hahazebs:

Is it just me or does the grey hair grow faster than the regular hair?

Is it just me or does the grey hair grow faster than the regular hair?
It's just you.

The growth rate for all hair slows with age. Gray hair is simply the same ol' hair without melanin to color it.

Then why does the grey hair feel different? It's like nylon.

Hair tends to grow thinner / finer with age, so it's nothing to do with hair thickness.

Part of the reason for older hair feeling different might be related to less natural oil being produced and infused into the hair. Natural oils make hair more pliable.

I am getting mad, Welsh eyebrows! The white hairs seem more robust than the remaining dark ones.

I keep the white hairs trimmed and need all the dark ones I can keep!

Male head-hair certainly has a tendency to get much thinner and wispy. Male colourants, such as the Regan-era Grecian-2000, used to attempt to thicken the strands. Result was glaringly-obvious, licorice-like oil-slicks of locks. My Dad's look! :omg:

Past President George Bush, Senior (died age 94) had an interview on NBC’s Today Show a few years ago about being shot down in WWII in the Pacific at age 20.

Bush, Senior said I thought I was going to die, but I did not seemed to be afraid of dying going into the water.

He went on to say how does dying work ?

Will I see my wife Barbara, or my young daughter Robin who died of cancer ?

I personally thought this was a great question, how does dying work ?

When you get old, dying crosses your mind.

Yer never too old to be a Punk!

Vid at link.

Wirral man, 85, commits to Mohican haircut for 20 years

An 85-year-old man who has had a Mohican hairstyle for more than 20 years says people should not worry about what they look like. Alan Jones, from Wirral, shaved his hair for a charity challenge but then, when he retired in around 2000, committed to the style full-time.
Every three weeks he goes to his barber to get different intricate styles of varying lengths and patterns.

The keen musician and composer said he had seen people with shaved heads and thought: "I can do better than that".

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-merseyside-57510351

Five years ago I had a colonoscopy finding two precancerous polyps.

My doctor had me do another colonoscopy this past Wednesday and the prep was horrible.

My gastroenterologist told me I was dirty and come back again on Thursday after the prep again, like what !

I thought I was going to die living in the bathroom.

Well, this time I had five polyps being sent off to be tested.

Colonoscopies are hard.

My doctor had me do another colonoscopy this past Wednesday and the prep was horrible.

My gastroenterologist told me I was dirty and come back again on Thursday after the prep again, like what !

Colonoscopies are hard.

take care, I hope all goes well.

Colonoscopies are hard.
By 'dirty' did the gastroenterologist mean the preparation wasn't complete? Not a remark about your personal hygiene!

I hope things go well for you.

:oldm:they are.
People over a certain age are routinely offered them by the NHS. When my old dear went for hers the colonoscopist refused to do it as she seemed so healthy and he felt there was no need.

A shame because she does have what I believe to be IBS (of which there is a bit in the family, diagnosed and treated) but won't discuss it with a doctor and puts up with it because she is afraid of, I dunno, talking to the medics about her bowels.

If I had that I'd be in that surgery, pants down, crouched on the doctor's desk with my bum in his face saying 'Look at it! What's wrong? Can you cure it?'

About time she got that award!

In the early morning of June 3rd, 1944, Maureen Flavin (21) dispatched a weather report from Blacksod, Co Mayo, that would change the course of the second World War.

The barometer at the remote weather station showed pressure was dropping rapidly, indicating a major Atlantic storm was due to arrive and blow right across western Europe. Based on Ms Flavin’s readings, US general Dwight D Eisenhower postponed the D-Day landing by 24 hours.

On Saturday, the 98-year-old, now Maureen Flavin Sweeney, was awarded a special US House of Representatives honour for her part in the war. Her role was recognised at a ceremony held at Tí Aire nursing home in Belmullet, Co Mayo, where she now lives.

Congressman Jack Bergman, who is the highest ranking veteran to serve in Congress, wrote on June 6th, the 77th anniversary of the D-Day landing, that he was “honoured to recognise the service of Maureen Flavin Sweeney”.

“Her skill and professionalism were crucial in ensuring Allied victory, and her legacy will live on for generations to come,” he wrote. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...eather-report-changed-d-day-landing-1.4598678

Colonoscopies are hard.
I had mine done on the 7th of this month...and I don't remember a thing - not even hungover from the anaesthetic.

I received the all clear last Friday.

It's a good feeling.

You are lucky Mungoman having a good experience colonoscopy.

My first prep failed, so I had to prep a second day and had to live on Jello for 2 days.

When the doctor said time for Propofol, I said bring it on for sleep.

You are lucky Mungoman having a good experience colonoscopy.

My first prep failed, so I had to prep a second day and had to live on Jello for 2 days.

When the doctor said time for Propofol, I said bring it on for sleep.

It is the worry C.B. - isn't it. "Sorry - couldn't see a thing for ......" "Resubmit!"

The Aussie emetic is called fleet...fleet by name, fleet by nature.

If I needed to do the evacuation again, I reckon that my Freckle would never forgive me...

@charliebrown, hope things go well.
editted to add - no pun intended at all. I realized after, that my comment could be interpreted that way. My mom had to have a colonoscopy last year and she is in her mid 80’s. She said that she was worried (she lives on her own) that while undergoing the cleanse (no food and only the prep solution to drink every whenever the day before) that she would pass out and fall off of the toilet from how weak she felt. She told her doc when she saw him again that he should let people know how weak they might feel so that they can make arrangements if they want, to have someone stay with them.

Last edited:
Thanks brownmane for your thoughtful reply.

I was lucky my wife looked after me, and also she made sure I balanced my diabetic medicines with enough calories.

But you are right !

Colonoscopy even though the basis of many bathroom jokes, is not a dance through the flowers.

I do feel sorry for someone on their own with the prep.

But from what I have read, if one feels symptoms of colon cancer, then the survival rate is low.

So, I hope my tests come back OK.

Back