• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Thats great.

Seems I had a non eventful experience with mine.

But I have never had an Endoscopy.

Dad has had lots. He says to insist on a general so they can get the camera down with no poking.

Another tick on the bucket list.

A 106-year-old war veteran from Derbyshire has completed his bucket list dream of flying a plane by operating a flight simulator.

Donald Rose, who served as a front-line soldier in World War Two, said: "I could just see the sky and I thought: 'What a wonderful idea. How good that was'."

Originally from Westcott, Surrey, Mr Rose joined the army aged 23 and served in North Africa, Italy and France.

Donald received a number of medals and has also been awarded the Legion D'Honneur, France's highest honour.

The experience was organised by Donald's care home activity coordinator, Naomi Allsop, who said: "He's a beautiful soul inside and out. All the staff love him. He's just amazing."

He has also had a ride on a fire engine and been reunited with motorbikes he rode as a young man.

Mr Rose's son David said of his father: "He's my hero."

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-57600677

What I'm finding more of are those weird old-people things happening. Like the heartburn from bananas and liver spots, and symptoms I've never had before.

Like, last night the side of my neck was tender. It was the little lymph gland on that side that's normally flat and unobtrusive but had become inflamed and swollen.

Looked it up and of course found cancer, meningitis etc but it was most likely from a sore throat or cold.

I took ibuprofen at bedtime and it's nearly gone now. What the actual?

What I'm finding more of are those weird old-people things happening. Like the heartburn from bananas and liver spots, and symptoms I've never had before.

Like, last night the side of my neck was tender. It was the little lymph gland on that side that's normally flat and unobtrusive but had become inflamed and swollen.

Looked it up and of course found cancer, meningitis etc but it was most likely from a sore throat or cold.

I took ibuprofen at bedtime and it's nearly gone now. What the actual?
Happens to me all the time. Any infection, cold, hay fever, sheer cussedness.

What I'm finding most often are moles. I never had any before. some are even itchy. The lady next door to me is about the same age as ,e and she is covered in them Mine are not so noticeable to others because I have such fair skin and freckles. But, I notice them. They feel like felt cloth. I can barely see them but I can feel them. I have had them checked and they are benign. Which is good because the one that I did ignore, cost me half a nose.

I also notice that my fingers and feet get so itchy at times. It almost feels like I am being bitten by a mosquito, but there is no mark.

Sounds like a circulation thing
I think you're right there. Sometimes when I'm sitting here my feet go numb and the numbness goes as high as half way up my calf's. I'm also too small for this chair, so my arms are in weird positions when I am typing or using the mouse for my PC. I use the arm of the chair for a mouse pad. :crazy:

I was hoping that the circulation thing would end after I quit smoking. Dr said it would take a year or so to go back to normal. I guess it wasn't just the smoking. I need a new chair.

I think you're right there. Sometimes when I'm sitting here my feet go numb and the numbness goes as high as half way up my calf's. I'm also too small for this chair, so my arms are in weird positions when I am typing or using the mouse for my PC. I use the arm of the chair for a mouse pad. :crazy:

I was hoping that the circulation thing would end after I quit smoking. Dr said it would take a year or so to go back to normal. I guess it wasn't just the smoking. I need a new chair.
Get a small stool to rest your feet on or get a recliner chair that has a foot rest.

You could try eating more garlic, that can improve circulation, if you dont like garlic you can get garlic capsules at most chemists and health food shops.

I think you're right there. Sometimes when I'm sitting here my feet go numb and the numbness goes as high as half way up my calf's. I'm also too small for this chair ... I need a new chair.
Unless you can sit in that chair with your feet flat on the floor and without the seat's forward edge pressing into the backs of your thighs the seat is too tall for you. As Mytho suggests, you might be able to mitigate this problem by "raising the floor" with a footrest or something similar.

You might try building a pseudo-footrest (e.g., with books or magazines) that allows you to sit flat-footed. If it seems to help, you would need to come up with a more permanent solution (e.g, a mat or a new height-adjustable seat).

Bear in mind there's a chance the occasional numbness may not be the result of your seating.

Thanks guy's. It is a lazy boy rocker/recliner. It's broken and it is my 3rd one that has had the same issue. When I sit back in the seat, my feet are a good 2 feet off the ground. I have it backed against a wall so that when I lean back it does not toss me on to the floor head first. I can feel the wooden frame dig into my tail bone and spine.

Problem is that they are not worth the money anymore. They use cotton batting instead of foam to fill the chairs. It does not take long before you can feel that the batting has re-positioned itself and your body is dealing with a hard wooden frame. I can get one built to my own specifications, but of course, I will need to apply for a mortgage to do that. :loopy:

michael59,

I always start with the question how old are you ?

Numbness covers a lot of territory from bones pressing on nerves to more serious nerve tissue breakdown like Guillain-Barre or stroke.

I’ve just taken a cup and plate downstairs as I was in the spare bedroom sorting out eBay stuff. I thought I’d wash them and put them away before being told to. I got distracted by my wife on the way to the kitchen and I’ve brought the bloody cup and plate back upstairs!

michael59,

I always start with the question how old are you ?

Numbness covers a lot of territory from bones pressing on nerves to more serious nerve tissue breakdown like Guillain-Barre or stroke.
I just turned 62 last Wednesday. But I smoked cigarettes for 54 years and I also had a series of 12 heart attacks in 2014.

Is 12 heart attacks in 1 year a record?

I’ve just taken a cup and plate downstairs as I was in the spare bedroom sorting out eBay stuff. I thought I’d wash them and put them away before being told to. I got distracted by my wife on the way to the kitchen and I’ve brought the bloody cup and plate back upstairs!
I feel your pain.

For some reason my parents used to have cartons of milk delivered to them to drop off at a house in the next street. We kids'd have to take the bloody stuff on way to school.
I'd usually forget and have to run back from the very classroom door. :mad:

Is 12 heart attacks in 1 year a record?

I don't know. I didn't know it was a heart attack. It's very difficult to explain, I thought it was over developed muscles in my chest. I kept getting this severe burning sensation where my chest bone is and then the pain would start to travel down my arms. The most painful part was the pain I experienced in my wrists. At one point I couldn't stand it and talked out loud to my higher power to please take it away. Believe it or not, it went away, 12 times.

Apparently heart attacks in women are very different from the attacks men have. Each time it happened, I would get up and walk around shaking out my wrists and arms and rotate my shoulders. Not once did it occur what was happening until I was so weak I finally called an ambulance. I got dressed and met the ambulance out front of the building. No one believed me when I said I think I'm having a heart attack. They went through laundry list of other ailments it might be before they started giving me nitroglycerin tablets. It was 12 attacks over 6 weeks. The 13th one happened while I was sitting there and they (doctors and nurses) were standing around me. My heart is permanently damaged. It's my own fault. I should have went sooner. I hate hospitals.

Still bearing up quite well here, but last week twisted the muscles in my back (sitting down weeding the garden path, before you ask). Decided that my back was going to be sore whatever I did, so took the dog on a nine mile walk over the Wolds (you may have seen the picture).

Took a packed lunch in my rucksack and, about half way round, sat down for my picnic. Only for my back muscles to go into spasm and prevent me from standing back up again, until I had lain full length on the (wet) grass and sort of wiggled myself around onto all fours to be able to stand. So, if you were walking the Wolds Way on Midsummer Day and saw an elderly lady impersonating a maggot whilst being stared at by a small terrier, it wasn't performance art.

And next time, give me a hand up....

Still bearing up quite well here, but last week twisted the muscles in my back (sitting down weeding the garden path, before you ask). Decided that my back was going to be sore whatever I did, so took the dog on a nine mile walk over the Wolds (you may have seen the picture).

Took a packed lunch in my rucksack and, about half way round, sat down for my picnic. Only for my back muscles to go into spasm and prevent me from standing back up again, until I had lain full length on the (wet) grass and sort of wiggled myself around onto all fours to be able to stand. So, if you were walking the Wolds Way on Midsummer Day and saw an elderly lady impersonating a maggot whilst being stared at by a small terrier, it wasn't performance art.

OMG! nine miles with a bad back? I can't even make it through the grocery store without whinging. You are one brave lady to travel that far.

I posted this in the U.S. Military thread already, but I want to post it here too because it's just as relevant in this topic.

You, know when I am writing these posts, I think to myself, "You sound like someone who is seeking attention or exaggerating." I promise you I am not. I don't have any idea why this stuff happens to me or why I am still alive. That is the honest truth. The things I have experienced in life are even difficult for myself to believe, so I understand completely if you think I am full of shit. lol

I only laughed because of your description “impersonating a maggot”, and I feel your pain. A couple of months ago I walked to my basement to feed my cats. Nothing unusual. I went to walk back upstairs and my whole lower back spasmed. Knowing full well that if I went to my knees, I wouldn’t be getting up, I climbed the stairs on all fours.

It took 6 weeks for it to recover. I worked the whole time because if I was up and moving around, it was way better than if I stayed home and sat. Changing position in bed and getting out of bed were special skills. And of course everything you touch falls to the floor. Luckily my quads are quite strong and so I did a lot of squats during those weeks. I had a massage appt just as things were better, but the therapist had to work on my hips and outer quad muscles (I think that’s what they are called) because they were so tight and over used, they were sore.

I only laughed because of your description “impersonating a maggot”, and I feel your pain. A couple of months ago I walked to my basement to feed my cats. Nothing unusual. I went to walk back upstairs and my whole lower back spasmed. Knowing full well that if I went to my knees, I wouldn’t be getting up, I climbed the stairs on all fours.

It took 6 weeks for it to recover. I worked the whole time because if I was up and moving around, it was way better than if I stayed home and sat. Changing position in bed and getting out of bed were special skills. And of course everything you touch falls to the floor. Luckily my quads are quite strong and so I did a lot of squats during those weeks. I had a massage appt just as things were better, but the therapist had to work on my hips and outer quad muscles (I think that’s what they are called) because they were so tight and over used, they were sore.
I feel your pain also, when i tweeked my back, even rolling over in bed was a struggle without intense pain, and i agree, mastering the straight back squat is essential when, as you say, everything you touch you seem to drop.

You poor thing! Six weeks! Mine was better inside a week fortunately, but yes, turning over in bed hurt, and getting in and out of the car was accompanied by me having to pull one leg in after me.

You poor thing! Six weeks! Mine was better inside a week fortunately, but yes, turning over in bed hurt, and getting in and out of the car was accompanied by me having to pull one leg in after me.
Ooh yes getting into and out of car was especially tricky. Any slight twist to my lower back would cause it to spasm. Even turning to look when backing car up was difficult

Ooh yes getting into and out of car was especially tricky. Any slight twist to my lower back would cause it to spasm. Even turning to look when backing car up was difficult

I once twisted round when reversing a car and pulled a muscle or summat in my chest. Felt like one of @titch's arrows!

A few years ago I pulled a thigh muscle by turning over in bed! and had big trouble with it for a couple of weeks.

Could mainly grit the teeth through the pain apart from the action of taking and relinquishing the throne. Never managed that gracefully.

Back