• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I can dig it...but, I'll stick with ProgRock and other such stuff.

Some people live with chronic diseases and seem to do fairly well.

I know men who keep going with prostate cancer a long time.

But my wife’s friend who had aplastic anemia, the disease came roaring back and she only lived just days.

So, try to enjoy life.

1632668623427.png

Today, getting ready for a bike ride, I grabbed my helmet and jammed it on my head.

BANG! It bounced off.
I'd already put one on but had no memory of doing it. :rolleyes:

Edit - I wrote had no memory of doing it rather than 'but forgot' is that I'd done it so automatically that I didn't even know which one I'd put on. This is despite the fact that I'd've had to unclip it from the banister where I keep them.
I still can't recall doing any of this. :chuckle:

Last week one day I went outside, all kitted up, for a ride and Techy said 'You're not wearing your specs then?'
I'd taken them off, put them down and forgotten all about them. Wouldn't be surprised if the old marbles are rolling.

Last edited:
Got on a fairly crowded Tube this evening - bloke in paint-splattered work clothes and wooly hat got my attention and rose to give me his seat.
I declined but thanked him profusely.
Cheeky c**t.

When you get to the top of the escalator at the shopping centre if the trolley is a bit heavy you need to give it a bit of an extra push.
I didn't have a lot in it yesterday but a passing cleaner reached over and pulled it up for me.
I thanked him very much and wondered if I looked a bit feeble although I didn't feel it.

When you get to the top of the escalator at the shopping centre if the trolley is a bit heavy you need to give it a bit of an extra push.
I didn't have a lot in it yesterday but a passing cleaner reached over and pulled it up for me.
I thanked him very much and wondered if I looked a bit feeble although I didn't feel it.
Cleaners are the unsung heroes. They see EVERYTHING and know ALL THERE IS TO KNOW.

Went into Work on my day off on Thursday for three reasons: invited to Finance Director's retirement lunch; colleague was still off sick; no metal detecting that day. Had a dicky tummy and there was a lot of blood in the morning motions - sufficiently alarming to phone my GP for advice. Surprisingly she actually offered me a face-to-face (as opposed to arse-to-phone) appointment to put my mind at rest. But I never got there. Collapsed on train back, but luckily fell on top of a First Responder (ambulance) and he and his mate dragged me off onto a platform. Came round sitting literally in a puddle of blood. 12 hours on a gurney in A&E, 36 hours in a bed and then caught a bus (stood wearing my manky trousers) to get back to my motorbike and home 3 hours ago to do some laundry.
Growing old bit ? I'm wearing an adult nappy, watching the rain out of my window and still reckon I might have enough petrol in the tank to go metal detecting tomorrow.

Went into Work on my day off on Thursday for three reasons: invited to Finance Director's retirement lunch; colleague was still off sick; no metal detecting that day. Had a dicky tummy and there was a lot of blood in the morning motions - sufficiently alarming to phone my GP for advice. Surprisingly she actually offered me a face-to-face (as opposed to arse-to-phone) appointment to put my mind at rest. But I never got there. Collapsed on train back, but luckily fell on top of a First Responder (ambulance) and he and his mate dragged me off onto a platform. Came round sitting literally in a puddle of blood. 12 hours on a gurney in A&E, 36 hours in a bed and then caught a bus (stood wearing my manky trousers) to get back to my motorbike and home 3 hours ago to do some laundry.
Growing old bit ? I'm wearing an adult nappy, watching the rain out of my window and still reckon I might have enough petrol in the tank to go metal detecting tomorrow.
Jeez, you ok?

If someone else had written this what would you be saying to them about going out metal detecting tomorrow? That Roman horde will still be there next week. Put your feet up.

If someone else had written this what would you be saying to them about going out metal detecting tomorrow? That Roman horde will still be there next week. Put your feet up.
I know, but I've had my feet up for nearly 48 hours which is more rest as I normally get in a week. If it wasn't for the low level of petrol and the windy-pops roulette, I'd be out there.

I know, but I've had my feet up for nearly 48 hours which is more rest as I normally get in a week. If it wasn't for the low level of petrol and the windy-pops roulette, I'd be out there.

Bleeding from the bum usually looks worse than it is. You've still lost a bit though and had some weird shit happened as a result. like the rest of us, you are no spring chicken. I reckon take it easy and listen to this podcast.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/prehistoric/inside-prehistoric-mind-podcast-francis-pryor/

and put off the bloody metal detecting for a few days.

I worry that in 5 years that this forum will be full of Rynners. :(:rolleyes::willy:

I worry that in 5 years that this forum will be full of Rynners. :(:rolleyes::willy:
Not been here long enough to know if that's a compliment or a reproach - suspect latter. Am going into work tomorrow to pick up Monthly Recharge raw data and then back home to look for petrol.

Had an animated and escalating conversation with my Buildings Officer this morning (positioning of my dry ice bin), which ended with her ordering me to go home. Text from my boss just now telling me not to come back for the rest of the week. I know they're joking but I think I will take tomorrow easy.

Had an animated and escalating conversation with my Buildings Officer this morning (positioning of my dry ice bin), which ended with her ordering me to go home. Text from my boss just now telling me not to come back for the rest of the week. I know they're joking but I think I will take tomorrow easy.
Did you tell your boss about your health issues? Just wondering why they've ordered you to stay at home.

Did you tell your boss about your health issues? Just wondering why they've ordered you to stay at home.
'cos I look like shit and they may have noticed I lost out on 10 days paid leave at the end of last month. Need something called a sick note ?

'cos I look like shit and they may have noticed I lost out on 10 days paid leave at the end of last month. Need something called a sick note ?
Oh dear, poor you! Get well soon.

Just curious - what do you use the dry ice for?

Back