Guantanamo Bay

Problem is that initiatives like this detract from personal responsibility.
Instead of condemning people for choosing to perpetrate acts of evil, asking "oh dear! Who radicalised the poor lamb?" seems to miss the point totally and rings faint echoes of the Nazi defendants' "only following orders" excuse at the Nuremberg trials.

These guys have religion.

Says everything.
I remember, years ago on the now defunct BBC message boards, discussing something to do with morals/behaviour with a Muslim woman.
She invariably started each sentence with "we believe that ..." or "we are told that ..." .
I did say to her "never mind what the Quran tells you to think. What do YOU think about this?"
She replied that she cannot possibly separate her life, thoughts and beliefs from islamic scripture.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
We either resign ourselves to endless bouts of terrorism, or we live in hope we can prevent them, and ultimately eradicate them. It's an either/or situation. But the latter won't happen out of the blue.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I remember, years ago on the now defunct BBC message boards, discussing something to do with morals/behaviour with a Muslim woman.
She invariably started each sentence with "we believe that ..." or "we are told that ..." .
I did say to her "never mind what the Quran tells you to think. What do YOU think about this?"
She replied that she cannot possibly separate her life, thoughts and beliefs from islamic scripture.
The brainwashing has taken such a hold that it's impossible to de-program somebody like that. Impossible.

INT21

Antediluvian
Even if someone did see the light and change their view, they would not dare to even mention this to anyone else.

The fear that this person may want to gain a few brownie points by passing this information to the clerics, along with all the bad things this would invoke, would make them simply keep their mouths shut.
It may make them unlikely to commit any violent act though, and we should be grateful for this.