• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guardian Angels: Do They Exist?

Do Guardian Angels Exist?

• Yes

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Sometimes I think they do exist

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Gaurdian Angels...do they exist ?

What do you think ?
Do you have a gaurdian Angel or something simillar that you feel may be looking after you.
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone with views or experiences of such matters.
Thanks in anticipation
FBW

PS DON'T FORGET TO VOTE (see above)

They excist. Not in one particular shape or form tho. Never seen mine but I know it's around. I have had the odd feeling of a slight pressure on my shoulder and a sudden sense of happiness that makes me grin like a cheshire cat at least 3 times.

Oh then there is the time I was feeling as depressed as you can possibly get. I asked my angel for some help and I got it.

lol there was somthing about this on TV on Good Friday
All these people sat around in a group trying to find their angels they were all so vague about everything it was hard to take it all seriously. Also they went on to say about how they used their angels to find parking spaces etc. I cant help thinking that if they do exist they have a lot more important things they could be doing than creating parking spaces for people

Perhaps Guardian Angels are like the Ancestor Spirits of more 'primitive' faith structures. They're dependent upon whom they guard and so go out of their way to assist them.

Niles ":rolleyes:" Calder

Bisto said:
lol there was somthing about this on TV on Good Friday
All these people sat around in a group trying to find their angels they were all so vague about everything it was hard to take it all seriously. Also they went on to say about how they used their angels to find parking spaces etc. I cant help thinking that if they do exist they have a lot more important things they could be doing than creating parking spaces for people

I saw the last bit of that show. As for the parking space thing. I have done that a few times. I did it on good friday and got a car parking space. I asked for one in a place away from where everyone wanted to be and I got one. Even tho everywhere was busy! If angels have something better to do then when you ask for a space they wont bother will they.

My former boss used to make comments along the line of "If God loves me, I'll find a parking space." I always thought this was such a depressing theology. What if you don't find a parking space? Does God hate you, and you might as well end it now?
I'm sure angels don't - or shouldn't - protect you from mere inconvience, it saves you getting spoiled rotten.
I was going to post and say I didn't think I had one, but on reflection, I've walked away from a ridiculous number of potentially serious accidents unscathed, so maybe I do. I have a tattoo of the Goddess Bast on my chest. As she's meant to be a protector, particularly of women, I do like to think she's good luck for me. And I like to think I'm a cynic and a skeptic! Still, scratch the surface of any cynic and skeptic, and you find someone deeply mushy who just wants to be loved. :D

I'm a believer.

My mother had two miscarriages/stillbirths before I was born, one before my brother was born and one after. I've always believed that the spirit of the little girl baby is my guardian angel.

I myself had a miscarriage before my daughter was born and I firmly believe that the spirit of that baby is her guardian angel.

Maybe it's all in my head, but if I take comfort from it, who the hell is anyone else to tell me I'm wrong?

If there's an afterlife, what's so bad about dying? And why are these interfering spirits trying to delay us getting there?

I think we should be told!

My daughter, who is a professional clairvoyant, often finds that 'someone' or 'something' accompanies a person when they arrive for a reading.

Often she will describe an 'accompanying' person to the client in great detail, to be told 'that's Mum!' or Gran or whoever.

Sometimes the client's 'companion' is a little more exotic, and yes, she has seen the cliched Native American spirit guide!

She also sees animals with clients. These are usually long-deceased pets, including a ghostly canary which sang sweetly in a lady's ear, and a lop-eared rabbit which hopped in halfway through.

These 'presences' are normally friendly and positive and are often sensed as a benign influence.

Some, though, are not.

One lady in particular was in despair after a long run of rotten luck, illness, job trouble, a car crash, family rows, you name it. When this lady arrived, a vicious-looking man came with her and sat staring gloomily. Daughter described him aloud: it seems he was the lady's late and unlamented abusive father and was wreaking havoc after his death as he had before. Daughter was able to advise her on how to shake off his malign influence and turn her life around, which she eventually did.

Another lady seemed to be surrounded with cats, and though they weren't acting like beloved pets, they were certainly following her through life. Daughter 'saw' this woman drowning cats, including mother cats and whole litters, and was so upset that she couldn't go on with the reading. The lady stood up and left very rudely. The cats all looked at Daughter, then silently followed her out.

When I was a teenager away at a camp a friend of mine said she saw her guardian angel. I have always been quiet struck by this and have tried concentrating and tried to experience or sense my own angel...with no luck. But I still think we have some sort of spirit guide, or even just something thats 'on our side'.

It might be helpful to think in terms of people or pets who have died as often a lot of my energy has gon into thinking about an arch angel Gabriel type figure. Certainly there are people I knew who died over 20 years ago but they are regularly (almost daily) in my thoughts.

I would never ask my spirit guide to find a parking space - he'd go crazy. Once I asked him to exorcise my husbands car because it had been bought off someone who died and he was well pissed off

I voted no, but thinking about it, maybe I was wrong. I've survived 5 serious car accidents and a lightning strike (not all on the same day admittedly) and I've always considered myself a very lucky person. Even when bad things happen (which they do) they happen at the best possible time, or there turns out to have been something good about it. Others have told me it's just my attitude, but I'm not so sure. The "good luck" thing that I have seems to protect those close to me as well.

i had a guardian angel once but it found me boring and run away :cross eye

I can see why people want to belive in their angels/guides and I myself have whitnessed life and death situations where the person (grandparents) should have died but didnt but I cant help thinking about people in disaters all over the world that dont survive. Where are their angels when they need them?

I think that the concept of the 'Holy Guardian Angel' can be traced to Socrates' daemon, which was basically just his inner voice. Over the centuries this voice seems to have become more and more anthropomorphocised (sp?). The Greek magical papyrii contain recipies for recieving a daemon and the later magical interpretations of the guardian angel can be best seen in The Sacred Magic of Abramelin The Magician, and Agrippa's Third Book of Occult Philosophy, to name a couple.
It makes me sick to see these limp-minded new-age touchy-feelies on tv... and don't get me started on angels in general... or faeries! Ick.

escargot said:
My daughter, who is a professional clairvoyant, often finds that 'someone' or 'something' accompanies a person when they arrive for a reading.

Often she will describe an 'accompanying' person to the client in great detail, to be told 'that's Mum!' or Gran or whoever.

That happened to my girlfriend, she went to see a clairvoyant who told her there was a man in the room with her and she could feel a terrible pain in her chest. Apparently my G/F's grandfather died from lung cancer. She then went on to say that he had a gift for her and put a rose onto the table (not magically appeared you understand, just a sort of spiritually kind of thing.)

I had another G/F who claimed she had 2 guardian angels and she regularly saw them, on one occasion, driving a bus.

My boss at work has also seen her guardian angel, only a few months ago. She say's that at the time she was having big problems at home and she was very stressed. Her G/A appeared to her one evening and talked to her a while and made her feel a lot better.

Hi Pinkle (can I call you Pinkle?), I too (and a surprising number of people here) have a depressive illness. I've always thought of my depression as a monster behind a door in the back of my head. Winston Churchill of course thought of his as a black dog that followed him around. I wonder if all of us "objectify" our feelings like this? (is objectify the right word? No doubt someone will put me right)

Anonymous said:
I think that the concept of the 'Holy Guardian Angel' can be traced to Socrates' daemon, which was basically just his inner voice. Over the centuries this voice seems to have become more and more anthropomorphocised (sp?). The Greek magical papyrii contain recipies for recieving a daemon and the later magical interpretations of the guardian angel can be best seen in The Sacred Magic of Abramelin The Magician, and Agrippa's Third Book of Occult Philosophy, to name a couple.
It makes me sick to see these limp-minded new-age touchy-feelies on tv... and don't get me started on angels in general... or faeries! Ick.
About 6 months ago the Abra Melin texts came to my attention and things started changing in my life almost instantly. A personal goal I'd been contemplating for over ten years came to fruition quite suddenly without any apparent intervention from me. It is said that just reading the text can produce unforeseen effects. I began to wonder if there was something behind the events that unfolded so fortuitously. Sometimes things seem to occur beyond the realm of coincidence. They don't, but it was rather uncanny.

If everyone had a angel watching over them,then how come sometimes bad things will still happen?
If the bad thing is meant to happen, then when an angel does help you out it wouldnt be out of love but because you are job number 129 of the day.
When i was young and foolish,instead of middle aged and foolish,i would read all the fluffy angel books,one had a women saying how an angel stopped her going through a park,later on she learned another women had been raped that night in the park. :(
Was the 1st women so special that she was to be spared?did an angel watch the women being raped and think oh well i could stop it but its not on my to do list?
Having said that,i have had 2 low points in my life where something that could be called angelic has comforted me,so there may be something in it, but it is much more complicated then angels at my shoulder fluff.

While not a religious or superstitious person myself, I've still enjoyed lots of minor 'angelic' experiences. It's like having a little kick up the bum from the universe, reminding me not to feel sorry for myself!

Maybe we just notice these things when we're down in the dumps. Or maybe there're real angels watching over us. I'm on a horse. :lol:

Guardian angels 'protect third of Britons'

Nearly one in three Britons believe they have a guardian angel watching over them, according to a survey.

Online research for the Bible Society and Christian Research into the views of 1,038 people suggests 31% believe in angels, with 17% unsure.

One in 20 told pollsters ICM last week they thought they had seen or heard an angel, with 29% saying they thought a guardian angel watched over them.

The Bible Society says it indicates that many people have a spiritual need.

Its programme director, Canon Dr Ann Holt, said: "There is plenty of evidence that there are presences in this world beyond the human.
"An angel is God's messenger and the Bible affirms this through the many appearances of angels in different forms."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12064517

rynner2 said:
"An angel is God's messenger and the Bible affirms this through the many appearances of angels in different forms."

Yes, in much the same way that Homer's Odyssey affirms that the Cyclopes were good with sheep and Poseidon isn't really the forgiving type.

Dr_Baltar said:
rynner2 said:

Yes, in much the same way that Homer's Odyssey affirms that the Cyclopes were good with sheep and Poseidon isn't really the forgiving type.

That was an error in translation. In the original said the Cyclops will keep an eye on sheep.

I'm prepared to accept angelic beings as a possibility. They sound like one of the groovier archetypes of world religions so are fully welcome in my pantheon. In fact yes, I believe in them, though without wings.

colpepper1 said:
They sound like one of the groovier archetypes of world religions so are fully welcome in my pantheon.

But, if we're talking cool and groovy, you have to admit the Greeks had most of the best "monsters". :)

Dr_Baltar said:
colpepper1 said:
They sound like one of the groovier archetypes of world religions so are fully welcome in my pantheon.

But, if we're talking cool and groovy, you have to admit the Greeks had most of the best "monsters". :)

Angels are part of an extant tradition and only some can be classed as monsters and then by scriptural interpretation. Have a Christmas angel:
http://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... stmas.html

Have I got a guardian angel? How else do you think I got home from the office party at 3.20am
By Tom Utley
Last updated at 2:53 PM on 24th December 2010

Ten minutes earlier, the last of the ­revellers had asked me how on earth I planned to get home. I’d airily replied: ‘Oh, I’ll be all right. ­I always am.’
But now, in the icy night air, the alcoholic haze was clearing and I was beginning to understand the force of my colleague’s question.
Good point. How was I going to get home?
The Tube had shut down hours ago. The North London streets were all-but deserted, without a hope of a hailable taxi.

As for night buses, well, you know what they say about hens’ teeth. And anyway, I hadn’t a clue where I’d find a route that would take me anywhere near home.
What the hell, I thought, I’ll just have to walk — though I won’t pretend that the prospect appealed to me.
But I’d barely set off and was just ­passing a bus-stop when a double-decker appeared at the end of the empty street and drew up beside me.
Joy of joys, the destination on the front was the bus ­station right at the bottom of my road.

So on I hopped — to find that I had the whole bus to myself, as if its only purpose was to whisk a weary Tom Utley to his bed.
Now, you may say that this was a wholly unremarkable incident. But I’ve had so many similar experiences over the years that I find it downright uncanny.

Call it the Devil’s own luck, if you will, but I’ve long preferred to think that I have a guardian angel watching over me. And this week I discover that I’m very far from being alone in that belief.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z19DILSdUf

And from the Beeb news website, another travel story which doesn't mention a guardian angel, but well could have:

A real Good Samaritan

One act of kindness that befell British writer Bernard Hare in 1982 changed him profoundly. Then a student living just north of London, he tells the story to inspire troubled young people to help deal with their disrupted lives.

"The police called at my student hovel early evening, but I didn't answer as I thought they'd come to evict me. I hadn't paid my rent in months.
But then I got to thinking: my mum hadn't been too good and what if it was something about her?
We had no phone in the hovel and mobiles hadn't been invented yet, so I had to nip down the phone box.
I rang home to Leeds to find my mother was in hospital and not expected to survive the night. "Get home, son," my dad said.

I got to the railway station to find I'd missed the last train. A train was going as far as Peterborough, but I would miss the connecting Leeds train by twenty minutes.
I bought a ticket home and got on anyway. I was a struggling student and didn't have the money for a taxi the whole way, but I had a screwdriver in my pocket and my bunch of skeleton keys.

I was so desperate to get home that I planned to nick a car in Peterborough, hitch hike, steal some money, something, anything. I just knew from my dad's tone of voice that my mother was going to die that night and I intended to get home if it killed me.

"Tickets, please," I heard, as I stared blankly out of the window at the passing darkness. I fumbled for my ticket and gave it to the guard when he approached. He stamped it, but then just stood there looking at me. I'd been crying, had red eyes and must have looked a fright.

"You okay?" he asked.
"Course I'm okay," I said. "Why wouldn't I be? And what's it got to do with you in any case?"
"You look awful," he said. "Is there anything I can do?"
"You could get lost and mind your own business," I said. "That'd be a big help." I wasn't in the mood for talking.

He was only a little bloke and he must have read the danger signals in my body language and tone of voice, but he sat down opposite me anyway and continued to engage me.
"If there's a problem, I'm here to help. That's what I'm paid for."

I was a big bloke in my prime, so I thought for a second about physically sending him on his way, but somehow it didn't seem appropriate. He wasn't really doing much wrong. I was going through all the stages of grief at once: denial, anger, guilt, withdrawal, everything but acceptance. I was a bubbling cauldron of emotion and he had placed himself in my line of fire.

The only other thing I could think of to get rid of him was to tell him my story.
"Look, my mum's in hospital, dying, she won't survive the night, I'm going to miss the connection to Leeds at Peterborough, I'm not sure how I'm going to get home.
"It's tonight or never, I won't get another chance, I'm a bit upset, I don't really feel like talking, I'd be grateful if you'd leave me alone. Okay?"

"Okay," he said, finally getting up. "Sorry to hear that, son. I'll leave you alone then. Hope you make it home in time." Then he wandered off down the carriage back the way he came.

I continued to look out of the window at the dark. Ten minutes later, he was back at the side of my table. Oh no, I thought, here we go again. This time I really am going to rag him down the train.

He touched my arm. "Listen, when we get to Peterborough, shoot straight over to Platform One as quick as you like. The Leeds train'll be there."
I looked at him dumbfounded. It wasn't really registering. "Come again," I said, stupidly. "What do you mean? Is it late, or something?"

"No, it isn't late," he said, defensively, as if he really cared whether trains were late or not. "No, I've just radioed Peterborough. They're going to hold the train up for you. As soon as you get on, it goes.
"Everyone will be complaining about how late it is, but let's not worry about that on this occasion. You'll get home and that's the main thing. Good luck and God bless."

Then he was off down the train again. "Tickets, please. Any more tickets now?"

I suddenly realised what a top-class, fully-fledged doilem I was and chased him down the train. I wanted to give him all the money from my wallet, my driver's licence, my keys, but I knew he would be offended.
I caught him up and grabbed his arm. "Oh, er, I just wanted to…" I was suddenly speechless. "I, erm…"

"It's okay," he said. "Not a problem." He had a warm smile on his face and true compassion in his eyes. He was a good man for its own sake and required nothing in return.
"I wish I had some way to thank you," I said. "I appreciate what you've done."

"Not a problem," he said again. "If you feel the need to thank me, the next time you see someone in trouble, you help them out. That will pay me back amply.
"Tell them to pay you back the same way and soon the world will be a better place."

I was at my mother's side when she died in the early hours of the morning. Even now, I can't think of her without remembering the Good Conductor on that late-night train to Peterborough and, to this day, I won't hear a bad word said about British Rail.

My meeting with the Good Conductor changed me from a selfish, potentially violent hedonist into a decent human being, but it took time.
"I've paid him back a thousand times since then," I tell the young people I work with, "and I'll keep on doing so till the day I die. You don't owe me nothing. Nothing at all."
"And if you think you do, I'd give you the same advice the Good Conductor gave me. Pass it down the line."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12043294

Back