• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guardian Article About Dopplegangers Who Became Friends

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
Really interesting article about two guys who not only looked almost identical but also had spookily similar lives:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/aug/20/experience-i-made-friends-with-my-doppelganger#

"It wasn’t just our appearance, either – the more we got to know each other, the more we found in common. We had both trained as teachers at the College of St Mark and St John in Chelsea, and had the same teachers and lecturers. After qualifying, we both initially became RE teachers. When we paid for coffee, we pulled out identical Co-op debit cards, and we even both had a son who played the didgeridoo. Although I had failed to spot John for the best part of two years, we lived only half a mile apart."

I saw my doppelganger back in the early 90's and it was really unsettling.
I was on a bus in central London and he gets on. We don't just look alike, we are identical. He turns and, when he looks at me, his face turns to real distress. The bus stops at the next stop and the guy cannot get off fast enough.
I sat for the rest of my journey feeling really weirded out.

We have threads on doppelgängers.

Mine is seen around town looking so much like me that my own mother was once briefly fooled. She saw 'me' many times afterwards but understands that it's the Fetch.
She'd see 'me' walking down the street and start to wave, then think 'Aha, I know it's not really her!' When she mentioned this I was astounded. All she'd say was 'It's you but not really you!' She wasn't fazed.

Hey Mods, where are the doppelgängers threads?
I can find a few but they are not the old, long ones I remember.

I don’t think I have a doppelganger out there, but I have mentioned before on here about having a face where other people think that I’m somebody else.

It can be quite embarrassing sometimes, when I say “sorry I’m afraid you have got the wrong person”

The most cringing one happened over 30 years ago, while I was standing on the platform of Leyton tube station after an Orient game, when I felt someone boot me up the arse.

I turned around and here was this young guy who I’d never seen before, who then starts shaking me by the hand, patting me on the shoulder and calling me Alex.

Honestly, I felt so sorry for the guy that I decided to play along with him. The tube arrived and we both got on and he’s banging on about this and that, and I’m nodding and smiling, and occasionally saying stuff like “oh yeah I remember that”. It was bloody awful, a toe a curling embarrassing moment.

Anyway, I must have said something to him, to make him think that I wasn’t his old mate Alex after all, and he went very quiet. He then bent over and just stared at his trainers, and when the train stopped at mile end, he shot of the tube like a greyhound out the slips. Previously he said that he wouldn’t be getting off the train until Holborn :hahazebs:

Hey Mods, where are the doppelgängers threads?
I can find a few but they are not the old, long ones I remember.
The majority of the doppelgänger threads are in IHTM. Search on "doppelgänger" (singular) ...

The majority of the doppelgänger threads are in IHTM. Search on "doppelgänger" (singular) ...
I did all that before posting and found a handful, none of which was what I was looking for.
Tried again just now and found more. How strange.
There is also a similar Have You Got A Double? thread.

My doppelgänger/fetch has been causing trouble for years. People kick off with me for ignoring them when they greeted me last week, at a time when I was at work/in another town/gardening at home. It really does wind them up.

This has literally just happened.

There a guy who works in my village coop store that I chat to occasionally. He’s quite distinctive looking with thick ginger hair and has a ginger bushy beard. Age wise I’d say he was in his mid-20’s, he a nice chap.

Anyway, 15 minutes ago I walked to the coop for a pint of milk, and saw him coming out the store, wearing a Colchester United replica shirt, so I said hello and something like just finished work mate, then said I didn’t know you were a Colchester fan do you ever go watch them play etc.

It wasn’t him. :D

Bit odd that the coop guy's doppelganger was leaving the store, just as I was entering it.

Back