• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guinea-zilla

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Giant rodent astonishes science

By Jonathan Amos
BBC News Online science staff

The fossil remains of a gigantic rodent that looked something like a monster guinea pig have been identified by scientists in Venezuela.

The 700-kilogram beast - about the size of a buffalo - lived among the reeds and grasses of an ancient river system that threaded its way into the Caribbean Sea eight million years ago.

Researchers think the creature, which was 10 times as big as today's largest rodents, could have run in huge packs.

Evidence suggests it also had to dodge the constant attentions of super-sized crocodiles and carnivorous birds, which stood three metres tall.

The biggest

The discovery of "Guinea-zilla", as some have already dubbed it, is reported in the journal Science.

The remains were pulled out of brown shale and coal beds at the town of Urumaco, 400 kilometres west of Caracas.

Researchers from Venezuela, the US and Germany were involved in the discovery. The lead author on the Science paper is Dr Marcelo Sanchez-Villagra of Germany's University of Tubingen.

"Urumaco was a place of giants eight million years ago," he said. "The world's largest turtle - three metres long - was found there. It had some of the largest crocs ever seen and there are undescribed fish that were also three metres long."

The new rodent has been given the scientific name Phoberomys pattersoni, after a pioneering palaeontologist who worked in the region in the 1970s, Professor Brian Patterson.

Fossil profile

The weight of P. pattersoni substantially exceeds that of today's biggest rodent, the 50-kg capybara.

P. pattersoni would have been about three metres long and just over metre tall.

Dr Sanchez-Villagra said it had long ever-growing teeth - its incisors would have been about 20 centimetres from root to tip - housed in a skull that was twice as long as a capybara's.

Its grinding teeth probably helped the animal dine on sea grasses growing amongst the brackish lagoons and inlets of its wetland habitat.

"It was probably semi-aquatic, spending some time in the water and some of the time on land - just like the capybara," Dr Sanchez-Villagra said.

"And because it spent so much time in the water, its eyes were probably more dorsal - higher on the head than say a rat. Its jaw was also deeper than a rat's which is quite pointed."

Continental drainage

Although it may have been distantly related to today's guinea pig (Cavia porcella), with hind quarters and rear legs larger and more powerful than its smaller forelimbs, the beast would have dwarfed its modern cousin which normally weighs about a kilo.

"And of course the guinea pig doesn't have the robust tail we know this creature had," Dr Sanchez-Villagra said.

The 90%-complete Guinea-zilla remains were actually discovered in 2000. But scientists have held back from a formal classification of the animal until now because they wanted to compare the fossil with a second specimen with more extensive skull features.

Scientists believe a once mighty river system - the Paleo-Oronoco-Amazon - moved through the Urumaco area carrying water from the interior of the Southern American continent north-east to the ocean.

Other fossils found at Urumaco support this idea and illustrate what a lush landscape this now arid part of Venezuela must have been towards the end of the Miocene Epoch.

Nowhere to run

But that rich biodiversity may have brought the rodent trouble in the form of other, spectacularly big creatures.

These animals, such as lion-sized marsupial cats, could have played a part in the eventual demise of P. pattersoni, believes Professor Neill Alexander, of the University of Leeds, UK.

"Predation would certainly have been a factor," said the expert in the mechanics animal movement.

"Being so big it would not have been able to run into a burrow and hide. And the problem with being a really big rodent is that you are slower than the competition; you are vulnerable unless you are somewhere where the predators aren't too fast either."

Commenting on the discovery, Science journal's International's Managing Editor, Dr Andrew Sugden, said P. pattersoni would have a major impact on our understanding of evolution in South America.

New window

"The first rodents appeared about 40 to 50 million years ago," he said. "Rodents are now the most diverse group of mammals with more than 2,000 species; 40% of all mammalian species.

"And they also have a huge size range - over ten orders of magnitude. But at a stroke this new fossil stretches this size range by more than another order of magnitude and reshapes our view of the evolution of these animals."

South America intrigues scientists because until the emergence of a land-bridge (the Panamanian isthmus) connecting it to Central and North America about three million years ago, the landmass had been isolated for tens of millions of years.

Its plants and animals developed in isolation to the rest of the world's flora and fauna. And although palaeontologists have made many amazing discoveries recently in countries like Argentina, the northern fringes of South America have not been so well studied.

"This fossil fauna from Urumaco in north-western Venezuela opens a new chapter in the history of biodiversity for that region," Dr Sugden said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3120950.stm

I've just had a weird vision of a Guinea-zilla running round inside the London Eye :D

This news has driven my two Guinea Pigs wild with delight. For far too long have they suffered because of the dinosaur fixation that has gripped the world since 'Jurassic Park'.

They are currently parading up and down their cage carrying signs saying 'Beware the giant Guinea pig!'

Yum...

They'd be better eating than this (taste a bit like rabbit).
(WARNING: not for pet owners)

Re: Yum...

Timble said:
They'd be better eating than this (taste a bit like rabbit).
(WARNING: not for pet owners)

Thanks for the warning. I can guess the content, so I'm not even gonna look.

Is this the place to tell you of my Bolivian jungle trip?

There were about a dozen of us and we took 20 guinea pigs (amounst other provisions, live and dried) on the 3-day trip. One of the party was convinced that they were released into the undergrowth and just could not see the small meat portion for what they were (very tasty - somewhere between roast lamb and rabbit).

Guinea pigs are a staple part of the diet in many South American countries. It's interesting that the capybara (a protected species, so I don't know what it tastes like!) and "Guinea-zilla" also come from the same area.

Jane.

I seem to recall a sci-fi short story (not sure who the author was, but one of those old school American sci-fi authors - Bradbury or Heinlein or Asimov or someone like that) called "The Poor Little Guinea Pig", about a guinea pig given an experimental growth treatment that escaped and wrecked a city, growing to double its weight every hour or something like that... eventually, at bigger-than-dinosaur size, they killed it by putting explosives in an enormous pile of cattle food... anyway, that's what the thread title made me think of...

Goldstein said:
"The Poor Little Guinea Pig", about a guinea pig given an experimental growth treatment that escaped and wrecked a city, growing to double its weight every hour or something like that..

I can imagine mejane heating up the oven and mixing the sage and onion even as I write. :D

The sci fi novel "Terror Firma" by Craig Thomas, which is a delight for the conspiracy theorists here, briefly mentions a 30 ton genetically modified rabbit used, by one of the pharmaceutical companies involved, as a cost cutting measure, it being cheaper to keep a big one to test on that lots of little ones!

Cavynaut said:
I can imagine mejane heating up the oven and mixing the sage and onion even as I write. :D

Don't be silly - garlic and rosemary would be much better:D

Jane.

I can't possibly comment, never having stuffed a cavy. :D

Inverurie Jones said:
My brown one does it at every opportunity...

This sort of comment is an invite to go even further OT.

:)

Back