• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gulf Stream Is Slowing

Humans have cut down a LOT of forests, yes. However, the planet is becoming greener. Increased rainfall and higher CO2 levels have been good for plant growth. We just need to replant the forests.
I'm not quite sure how you go about recreating the rainforests. Your average modern forestry plantation is like comparing mold on cheese to Kew Gardens.

I'm not quite sure how you go about recreating the rainforests. Your average modern forestry plantation is like comparing mold on cheese to Kew Gardens.
Yes, I know. There is so much biodiversity that has been lost forever. :(

AFAIK we (humans) are the only species on the planet that plants trees.
And it does appear to be the case that they do seem a bit, y'know....flammable when dry.
Maybe we should reforest those areas that burn down with less flammable species.
I know the forest fires that occur most often naturally are part of the regeneration anyway (some species will actually NOT regrow unless they burn) but in areas which have burnt as a result of 'being dry like tinder' through a heatwave (like places in Greece and the US), maybe it would be best to identify and replant with species that would be less susceptible to fire in the future.
Oh that and the active management of forests to clear away leaf litter and other flammable brushwood, and to maintain clear areas of fire-break, like what they always used to but seem to now be neglecting in a lot of areas because it costs too much.

AFAIK we (humans) are the only species on the planet that plants trees.
And it does appear to be the case that they do seem a bit, y'know....flammable when dry.
Maybe we should reforest those areas that burn down with less flammable species.
I know the forest fires that occur most often naturally are part of the regeneration anyway (some species will actually NOT regrow unless they burn) but in areas which have burnt as a result of 'being dry like tinder' through a heatwave (like places in Greece and the US), maybe it would be best to identify and replant with species that would be less susceptible to fire in the future.
Oh that and the active management of forests to clear away leaf litter and other flammable brushwood, and to maintain clear areas of fire-break, like what they always used to but seem to now be neglecting in a lot of areas because it costs too much.
Er…trees are made of wood. Wood burns, especially when dry in a heatwave combined with lack of rain. Perhaps you can name a tree which won’t burn when dry. Then we can go to Canada, Brazil, Greece, Turkey, California & so on & have a mass planting session of these non flammable trees. Simple eh? Who cares about a bit of biodiversity or creatures which depend on a certain species for their existence..

And forests like the Amazon have never had active management to clear away leaf litter & flammable brushwood. That was bullshit put about by Trump as I recall.

Er…trees are made of wood. Wood burns, especially when dry in a heatwave combined with lack of rain. Perhaps you can name a tree which won’t burn when dry. Then we can go to Canada, Brazil, Greece, Turkey, California & so on & have a mass planting session of these non flammable trees. Simple eh? Who cares about a bit of biodiversity or creatures which depend on a certain species for their existence..

And forests like the Amazon have never had active management to clear away leaf litter & flammable brushwood. That was bullshit put about by Trump as I recall.
There are some that are fire-resistant...
https://www.frontlinewildfire.com/can-name-fire-resistant-trees-answers-may-surprise/

Totally agree with your first paragraph. And some types of forest / trees need to burn off occasionally.

I wonder how many forests right now have not been interfered with? Middle of Borneo? Darien Gap? The Amazon forests have been decimated in the last 50 years. I don't say 'managed'.

But let's not forget we've been deforesting ever since we first turned to any form of agriculture.

And forests like the Amazon have never had active management to clear away leaf litter & flammable brushwood.
Forests like the Amazon, tend to be rain forests, which, as the name suggests, and having been there can confirm, are more than a little damp all the time, and cold and miserable, a bit like a typical English summers day.

What we need is Experimental Archaeology.

Recreate an Amazon garden.

My Mum has that in her back garden. It looks like a jungle.

Forests like the Amazon, tend to be rain forests, which, as the name suggests, and having been there can confirm, are more than a little damp all the time, and cold and miserable, a bit like a typical English summers day.
Yeah but doesn’t stop it burning though..

I’m not sure how Experimental Archaeology stops forests burning in a heatwave/lack of rainfall situation.

Any suggestion as to where this Amazon garden could be created?

I’m not sure how Experimental Archaeology stops forests burning in a heatwave/lack of rainfall situation.

Any suggestion as to where this Amazon garden could be created?
...the Amazon Basin?

Back