• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

H. P. Lovecraft

Hence my choice of 'xenophobic' over racist. Also, dude, Jewess is not the preferred nomenclature.
Until recently I too was going out with a Jewess, and she likes the term. Go figure. I'm not saying that she isn't a bit perverse mind you.

Lovecraft's wife occasionally had to remind him that she was Jewish when he went off on racist rants. Source
Yes. Howard and Sonia had a decidedly odd relationship. I think it is more of a surprise that they ever got together than the fact that they eventually divorced. Lovecraft passionately hated New York City, and was always "pining for the fjords" of Providence, so to speak. Sonia however couldn't put up with the parochial situation of Providence.

This is a bit niche, a comic book being fund started that mixes Cthulu and Carry On Films. For some reason. :

acarrycthulu.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grayhamputtock/oh-what-a-carry-on-cthulhu

Something I happened to come across and wondered if it might be of related interest, as Lovecraft features prominently.

‘Determined to be Weird’:
British Weird Fiction before Weird Tales

James Fabian Machin
Submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy
Birkbeck, University of London
June 2016

Abstract

Weird fiction is a mode in the Gothic lineage, cognate with horror, particularly associated with the early twentieth-century pulp writing of
H. P. Lovecraft and others for Weird Tales magazine. However, the roots of the weird lie earlier and late-Victorian British and Edwardian writers such as Arthur Machen, Count Stenbock, M. P. Shiel, and John Buchan created varyingly influential iterations of the mode.

This thesis is predicated on an argument that Lovecraft’s recent rehabilitation into the western canon, together with his ongoing and arguably ever-increasing impact on popular culture, demands an examination of the earlier weird fiction that fed into and resulted in Lovecraft’s work. Although there is a focus on the literary fields of the fin de siècle and early twentieth century, by tracking the mutable reputations and critical regard of these early exponents of weird fiction, this thesis engages with broader contextual questions of cultural value and distinction; of notions of elitism and popularity, tensions between genre and literary fiction, and the high/low cultural divide allegedly precipitated by Modernism.

(...)

The full thesis (290 pages), can be read here:

www.forteanmedia.com/Lovecraft_Thesis.pdf

Something I happened to come across and wondered if it might be of related interest, as Lovecraft features prominently.

‘Determined to be Weird’:
British Weird Fiction before Weird Tales

James Fabian Machin
Submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy
Birkbeck, University of London
June 2016

Abstract

Weird fiction is a mode in the Gothic lineage, cognate with horror, particularly associated with the early twentieth-century pulp writing of
H. P. Lovecraft and others for Weird Tales magazine. However, the roots of the weird lie earlier and late-Victorian British and Edwardian writers such as Arthur Machen, Count Stenbock, M. P. Shiel, and John Buchan created varyingly influential iterations of the mode.

This thesis is predicated on an argument that Lovecraft’s recent rehabilitation into the western canon, together with his ongoing and arguably ever-increasing impact on popular culture, demands an examination of the earlier weird fiction that fed into and resulted in Lovecraft’s work. Although there is a focus on the literary fields of the fin de siècle and early twentieth century, by tracking the mutable reputations and critical regard of these early exponents of weird fiction, this thesis engages with broader contextual questions of cultural value and distinction; of notions of elitism and popularity, tensions between genre and literary fiction, and the high/low cultural divide allegedly precipitated by Modernism.

(...)

The full thesis (290 pages), can be read here:

www.forteanmedia.com/Lovecraft_Thesis.pdf
Wow what a great excuse to read a huge amount of 18th-19th century weird stories and get a PhD for it.

There's also Roger Corman's The Haunted Palace with Vincent Price ... based on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Watched it last night.
It veered very close to hammy melodrama at times, but Vincent Price just about pulls it off. The way he switches from loving husband to possessed monster was quite clever. Oh and our old friend Cthulhu even gets a mention.

Watched it last night.
It veered very close to hammy melodrama at times, but Vincent Price just about pulls it off. The way he switches from loving husband to possessed monster was quite clever. Oh and our old friend Cthulhu even gets a mention.
Part of Corman's 'Poe cycle', all of which I still haven't seen, but I remember The Masque of the Red Death being excellent. As a fan of both Poe and Lovecraft when I saw The Haunted Palace, I enjoyed the movie, but it seemed an odd combination. Of course, it was a Lovecraft movie with the title of a Poe poem to connect to the other Poe movies. Or it was based on a Poe poem, with the Lovecraft elements added to flesh it out. Or something.

Beans Means Lovecraft.

How To Make Boston Baked Beans, Lovecraft-Style​

Olivia Luna Eldritch Shares a Culinary Favorite of the Creator of Cthulhu​

Boston beans are a classic New England dish, and a confirmed favorite of Lovecraft’s. He loved this dish for its heartiness as much as for its frugality, and wrote to his aunt of enjoying a meal of canned baked beans—a “unique delicacy”—with his friends Kleiner and McNeill, lamenting that a dash of “catsup” would have improved them, “but McNeill— simple soul—keeps none of these worldly, highly spiced devices in his primitive & ascetick larder.”

Try this delicious recipe for a warming, simple supper full of flavor. If you don’t have time to cook up a batch of Boston beans, try Lovecraft’s recipe for beans on toast, described in a 1925 letter to his aunt: “Just you take a medium-sized loaf of bread, cut it into four equal parts, & add to each of these ¼ can (medium) Heinz beans & a goodly chunk of cheese. If the result isn’t a full-sized, healthy day’s quota of good fodder for an Old Gentleman, I’ll resign from the League of Nations’ dietary committee!”

A speedy twist on the classic dish, this recipe is vegetarian but you could add 4 ounces chunky bacon pieces at the same time as the celery and garlic. Great with cornbread, hot dogs, grilled cheese, or on hot, buttered toast. They also make a good side for the chicken wings on page 80.
Serves 4
Prep + cooking time 40 minutes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped ...
https://lithub.com/how-to-make-boston-baked-beans-lovecraft-style/

Back