• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

H. P. Lovecraft

I agree, Many Angled One. Systematizing this sort of thing can often lessen its power, so instead of a group of very disturbing stories with certain common themes, you end up with the comfortable old 'cthulhu mythos', a bit like just a darker version of Tolkein or something.

Chatsubo, wasn't the black goat of the woods with the thousand young actually Shub-Niggurath, not Yog Sothoth? Or did I misunderstand what you said? Regardless, I think HP's description of this particular blighter may have been influenced by ideas of Pan in his darker aspect - you know, mad, panic-inducing ancient goat god of pre-human malice a la Arthur Machen, not the cavorting satyr type figure of prettified classical myth...?

tomsk, sorry bad grammar, I meant YS and the goat of a thousand young. I've played far too many games of Call of
Cthulhu to get them two mixed up.
Weren't many of the Aztec gods less than pleasant? Wasn't there one whose name translates to somethink like 'Eater of Filth'?
I know there are few (if any) Aztec refrences in Lovercraft's work, but this could be down to old Harold Bloom's theory of 'Anxiety of Influence' :- as in the more a writer is influenced by another writer, the more he will try to hide that influence in his work.

chatsubo said:
tomsk, sorry bad grammar, I meant YS and the goat of a thousand young. I've played far too many games of Call of
Cthulhu to get them two mixed up.
Weren't many of the Aztec gods less than pleasant? Wasn't there one whose name translates to somethink like 'Eater of Filth'?
I know there are few (if any) Aztec refrences in Lovercraft's work, but this could be down to old Harold Bloom's theory of 'Anxiety of Influence' :- as in the more a writer is influenced by another writer, the more he will try to hide that influence in his work.

TLAZOLTEOTL Eater of filth, devourer of sins, goddess of witches and witchcraft. Tlazolteotl has power over all forms of unclean behavior, usually sexual. Confessing sins to Tlazolteotl, one is cleansed. The goddess has four forms or aspects, corresponding to the phases of the moon: a young and carefree temptress, the lover of Quetzalcoatl; the Goddess of gambling and uncertainty; the Great Priestess who consumes and destroys the sins of mankind; and frightful old crone, persecutor and destroyer of youth.

Quoted from http://www.purgingtalon.com/nlm/worldmyth/aztec.htm

Haven't had a chance (or my Encyclopedia Cthuliana) to compare and contrast the other gods listed there. Food for thought though.

Dagon (one of those exhalted by the deep ones) obviously had mythological basis as does the Wendigo

Speaking of Dagon. The Stuart Gordon/Fear Factory release of their take on Shadows over Innsmouth is released on DVD within the next month or so. I've heard it's very faithful to the original...plus Guillermo del Toro is planning to do a completely faithful adaption of "At the Mountains of Madness". Could be promising.

The Dark Gods/Mountains of Madness/Hellboy

I left a post on Esoterica/UFOlogy about the same stuff-The Black Gods book is actually called The Dark Gods-I've read it once but Yog Soggoth consumed the book when I lent to to friend nicknamed Hellboy,funnily enough. i'm desperate to read it again-anyone wanna sell/barter?
The Blade 2 director, Toro, is an amazing choice of director for The Mountains Of Madness and Hellboy-How awesome will those films be.
What about that story in FT about odd sounds emanating from exactly the same place Cthulu is kipping!! Deep in a trench in near Australia-Spooky.......

Did anyone else get this e-mail offer:

Toyzz.com has teamed up with Toy Vault, the maker of the very popular H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu Plush line, to bring you the Toyzz.com Exclusive (that means you can't buy it anywhere else but right here at Toyzz.com!) Limited Edition Halloween Dracula Cthulhu Plush!

I kid you not!
TVgeek

Originally posted by Carnacki
Speaking of Dagon. The Stuart Gordon/Fear Factory release of their take on Shadows over Innsmouth is released on DVD within the next month or so. I've heard it's very faithful to the original...plus Guillermo del Toro is planning to do a completely faithful adaption of "At the Mountains of Madness". Could be promising.

Okay, the Dagon DVD is on release at Blockbuster now. Rented it last night, I was incredibly impressed. Despite being set in the modern period and in a spanish fishing village rather than the town of Innsmouth in the 1920's it is one of the most faithfull (in terms of atmosphere and lore) Cthulhu mythos adaptions I have watched. Very tense, very atmospheric...good effects and makeup and an incredible use of setting.

I thoroughly recommend it! (It also has a stunning Barbara Steele alike in it!) :D

Not particularly of direct relevance - maybe I should have added this to the "Occurances that are not Fortean but are Freaky Nonetheless" thread. I once set my work computer logon password to "iashubniggurath". It was accepted, but as soon as I tried to use it I was locked out - not the usual three strikes, but immediately. I guess either NT or my PC have something against praising the dark gods! Oh, and my subsequent (non-Cthulhian) password set by the sys-admin was also immediately locked out. They needed to reset my NT profile (effectively resetting my identity on the machine) before I could access it again!

Carnacki said:
...plus Guillermo del Toro is planning to do a completely faithful adaption of "At the Mountains of Madness". Could be promising.

Not completely faithful, according to the latest in SFX's 'Development Hell' page. The narrative as it stands is marvellously atmospheric and so on, but del Toro seems to feel he'll have to take liberties to get that across on film.

Quote from del Toro: "If you read the book, it's 90% atmosphere. There's no structure, really, so what we're doing is trying to capture the Lovecraft sensibility and feeling, but putting in the coolest fucking monsters ever committed to film." unquote. So that's all right then...

*Sigh*
Is it any wonder the Great Old Ones want to return and stop all this insulting naughtiness?

As well as CoC, two other good Mythos games are Dark Cults, a creative, storytelling card game, and Them Hills are Alive! (I think is the title, my copy's at home at the moment) which is a boardgame of groups of cultists smegging each other to gain the ability to summon The Great One.

Lovecraft Article

The Fear
Michel Houellebecq gives the legendary Lovecraft a new platform

Charles Baudelaire had Edgar Allan Poe, Albert Camus had James M. Cain, and Michel Houellebecq, poet of sour libertinage, has . . . H.P. Lovecraft. Houellebecq's 1991 monograph H.P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life reinvents the preeminent pulp horror writer of the '20s and '30s according to a familiar pattern: A French author discovers and adopts an American primitive. Lovecraft, however, had primitives of his own.
Gaunt, pallid, and lantern-jawed, Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937) was born in Providence, Rhode Island. His parents were emotionally unstable; he suffered from nightmares as a child, had a nervous breakdown at 18, and developed into a reclusive, nocturnal creature. He was also a writer's writer, who composed tens of thousands of letters and whose stories, published mainly in Weird Tales and Astounding Stories, were posthumously anthologized by his acolytes. In 1945, Edmund Wilson considered HPL's newly constituted oeuvre and cracked that their real horror was "the horror of bad taste and bad art." But then Wilson didn't care much for the cult writer Franz Kafka either; in any case, HPL has been welcomed into the Library of America, to sit on the shelf alongside Nathaniel Hawthorne and Ralph Waldo Emerson, while Wilson yet remains a thing on the doorstep.

The typical Lovecraft tale is an academic paper thick with fake citations and newspaper articles that inexorably gives way to an account of indescribable horror—"emphatically inflated passages," per Houellebecq, wherein Lovecraft abandons "all stylistic restraint, where adjectives and adverbs pile upon one another to the point of exasperation." This linguistic hysteria parallels the experience of the protagonist, generally a solitary antiquarian who, through a book or dream, has come in contact with the extraterrestrial crustacean slug Cthulhu and the other monstrous Old Ones who once ruled our dimension and are forever looking to find a way back in.

Many of Lovecraft's tales involve Miskatonic University in Arkham, an imaginary college town in north-central Massachusetts. Others are set in "the wild domed hills of Vermont" or the "ancient Massachusetts seaport" of Dunwich, a "dying and half-deserted" town that reeks of "the most nauseous fishy odor imaginable." Of the so-called great texts, few fail to mention "the hideous Necronomicon of the mad Arab Abdul Alhazred," kept, under lock and key, at the Miskatonic U. library.

Lovecraft's immersion in invented scholarship, if not his sense of place, proved irresistible to the younger writers who formed his cult, and he encouraged them to elaborate the Cthulhu mythology. Lovecraftians now include all manner of professional occultists, heavy-metal bands, and devotees of role-playing games. Several editions of the dread Necronomicon have come into existence.

Houellebecq discovered Lovecraft at 16: "I had not known literature was capable of this." But if each HPL story is "an open slice of howling fear," the work is something other than literary.

For Houellebecq, Lovecraft is a poet of revolt, who glorified inhibition and found sexuality repulsive. His fantasies were fueled by a metaphysical hatred of life and a denial of the real. His universe includes "not a single allusion to two of the realities to which we generally ascribe great importance: sex and money." This could hardly be said of Houellebecq—although he does turn Lovecraft into his philosophical precursor. Houellebecq's HPL believes that the human race is doomed and our actions are as meaningless as "the unfettered movements of the elementary particles"—the very title of Houellebecq's 1998 novel. Lovecraft is an existentialist: "Life has no meaning. But neither does death."

Ever the bad boy, Houellebecq further praises HPL as a reactionary who "considered democracy to be an idiocy and progress to be an illusion." Actually, Lovecraft was a sort of anti-modern modernist who read Nietzsche, Freud, and Proust, referenced the pseudo-anthropology of The Golden Bough and The Witch-Cult in Western Europe, cited Einstein and the discovery of a ninth planet, and whose tales were based on the creative abuse of quantum physics and non-Euclidian mathematics. Houellebecq appreciates Lovecraft's giddy geological time. (There's a Lovecraftian aspect to the "great metaphysical mutation" described in The Elementary Particles.) But mainly Houellebecq enjoys the scandal of Lovecraft's racial obsessions.

HPL boasted of descending from "unmixed English gentry" and expressed a dislike for immigrants in his first published poem. The crucial event in his life was a brief marriage (to a Jewish divorcée seven years his senior) and relocation to New York. The 24 months that the writer spent in the Mongrel Manhattan (and Brooklyn) of the mid 1920s marked him forever: Here, Houellebecq argues, the writer "came to know hatred, disgust and fear." By his own accounts, Lovecraft's personal Sin City was a behavioral sink populated by "monstrous half-breeds," "rat-faced Jews," "hideous negroes [resembling] giant chimpanzees."

Lovecraft, per Houellebecq, "brutally takes racism back to its essential and most profound core: fear." He is an extremist—and the "evolution of the modern world has made Lovecraftian phobias ever more present." Like Bruno's in The Elementary Particles, HPL's racism reacts against the regime of genetic competition. This hatred induced a "trance-like poetic state" and his most fabulously lurid writing.

Noting Lovecraft's recurring image of "a grand, titanic city, in whose foundation crawl repugnant nightmare beings," Houellebecq quotes a letter giving a particularly gonzo account of the "awful cesspool" of the "Italo-Semitico-Mongoloid" Lower East Side. It is, he points out, "indisputably great Lovecraftian prose."

Lovecraft's best-known sentence is the opening line of "The Call of Cthulhu": "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." In that, his may be a more intriguing mentality than even Houellebecq allows.

A materialist and an atheist, Lovecraft considered the Cthulhu Mythos a burlesque religion. This penchant for self-parody has been largely unrecognized— although Jorge Luis Borges, who included a few paragraphs on Lovecraft in his 1967 Introduction to American Literature, characterized his tales as "comic nightmares." And so has HPL's place in the New England tradition—save for Borges, who compares Lovecraft to Hawthorne (as HPL did himself) and Joyce Carol Oates, who hilariously suggested that the Cthulhu Mythos expressed "a mock Transcendentalism in which 'spirit' resides everywhere except possibly in human beings."

America's 17th-century frontier was as uncanny for Lovecraft as for its first white settlers—and no less haunted by mysterious presences. "West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut. There are dark narrow glens where the trees slope fantastically, and where thin brooklets glint without ever having caught the glint of the sunlight." It is "a lonely and curious country" with "stretches of marshland that one instinctively dislikes . . ." The sickly offspring of Cotton Mather ("Go tell Mankind, that there are Devils and Witches . . .") and Michael "The Day of Doom" Wigglesworth, as well as Hawthorne and Emily Dickinson, Lovecraft is heir to Puritan gloom and theological intolerance. His fantasies push the Salem witch trials further into apocalyptic paranoia.

Evoking a sense of a vast, unknowable wilderness, as well as a degenerate present, Lovecraft draws on the Puritan impulse to scare the living bejeezus out of his audience with a mad xenophobia and a deep disgust that perhaps compensates for the (unacknowledged?) knowledge that it was his people who persecuted the Quakers and murdered the Indians. Lovecraft's dread of the Old Ones is suffused with guilt. It wasn't sex that he most feared but the return of a historical repressed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J. Hoberman is the Voice's senior film critic and the author, most recently, of The Dream Life: Movies, Media, and the Mythology of the Sixties (just out in paperback from the New Press).

Source

Article from the Grauniad here today (link)

The myth maker

HP Lovecraft was a kindly misanthrope and a visionary materialist who disdained writing but created an astonishing body of work that transcends its cult status, writes Michel Houellebecq

Saturday June 4, 2005
The Guardian

"Perhaps one needs to have suffered a great deal in order to appreciate Lovecraft ... " Jacques Bergier

Life is painful and disappointing. It is useless, therefore, to write new, realistic novels. We generally know where we stand in relation to reality and don't care to know any more. Humanity, such as it is, inspires only an attenuated curiosity in us. All those prodigiously refined notations, situations, anecdotes ... All they do, once a book has been set aside, is reinforce the slight revulsion that is already adequately nourished by any one of our "real life" days.

Now, here is Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937): "I am so beastly tired of mankind and the world that nothing can interest me unless it contains a couple of murders on each page or deals with the horrors unnameable and unaccountable that leer down from the external universes." We need a supreme antidote against all forms of realism.

His Father Was Insane!

I thought this weird:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft
Lovecraft was born in his family home at 194 (then 454) Angell Street in Providence, Rhode Island. His father was Winfield Scott Lovecraft, a traveling salesman of jewelry and precious metals. His mother was Sarah Susan Phillips Lovecraft, who could trace her ancestors in America back to their arrival in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. Unusual for the time, both were in their 30s when they married, and it was the first marriage for both. Howard was their only child. When Lovecraft was three his father became acutely psychotic at a hotel in Chicago, where he was on a business trip, and was brought back to Butler Hospital in Providence, where he remained for the rest of his life. His affliction was general paresis.

And a description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_paresis
General paresis of the insane, also known as paralytic dementia, is now known to be a result of syphilis. It had been considered a psychiatric disorder during the nineteenth century, and was extremely common and completely devastating. While retrospective studies have found earlier instances of what may have been the same disorder, the first clearly identified examples of paresis among the insane were described in Paris after the Napoleonic Wars. Initially regarded as a complication of insanity by such influential psychiatrists as Jean-Etienne Dominique Esquirol, general paresis of the insane was first described as a distinct disease in 1822 by Antoine Laurent Jesse Bayle.

General paresis most often struck people (men far more frequently than women) between twenty and forty years of age. Within a matter of months to a few years after the appearance of the first symptoms, it reduced its victims to a state of dementia and profound weakness. No treatment was known, and patients uniformly died. During the nineteenth century its prevalence came to be widely recognized. By 1877, for example, the superintendent of an asylum for men in New York reported that in his institution this disorder accounted for more than twelve percent of the admissions and more than two percent of the deaths.

I've just bought a copy of Neil Gaiman's collection of short stories "Smoke and Mirrors" (£2.49 at a local charity shop :yeay: )
There's a cracking story in it called "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar". Made me laugh out loud. It's the Lovecraft mythos, as it might have been done by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.

Quote:
'Well', confided the taller one. 'Any day now, Great Cthulhu (currently impermanently deceased), who is our boss, will wake up in his undersea living-sort-of-quarters.'
' And then,' said the shorter one, 'he will stretch and yawn and get dressed-'
'Probably go to the toilet, I wouldn't be at all surprised.'
'Maybe read the papers'

Excellent stuff.

I always read Lovecraft as being a bargain-basement version of Poe, but I was shocked to be reading Poe the other day and finding him not very good either. Woe! It's like the world is collapsing.

Lovecraft definitely had some odd genes - his mother, IIRC, had a nervous breakdown of some sort too. A lot of his stories seem to take their power from being kind-of autobiographical - using characters that are based on the darker aspects of himself, and amplifying things from his own family history into the strange and suspicious families in his stories that were responsible for bringing various unspeakable horrors into the world...

One I've wondered about is "Cool Air" - i read somewhere that Lovecraft himself had a horror of warm temperatures and could only stand to live in a cool house, but August Derleth in his introduction to a Lovecraft omnibus i picked up recently in a charity shop said that HPL had a horror of cold temperatures which inspired the Antarctic horror of "At The Mountains of Madness". Would be interested to find out which was true and if there was any suspected medical reason for it, as extreme aversion to cold temperatures and mental oddness both run in my family...

Goldstein said:
One I've wondered about is "Cool Air" - i read somewhere that Lovecraft himself had a horror of warm temperatures and could only stand to live in a cool house, but August Derleth in his introduction to a Lovecraft omnibus i picked up recently in a charity shop said that HPL had a horror of cold temperatures which inspired the Antarctic horror of "At The Mountains of Madness". Would be interested to find out which was true and if there was any suspected medical reason for it, as extreme aversion to cold temperatures and mental oddness both run in my family...

IIRC he suffered from Poikiothermism (the quality or state of being cold-blooded) not sure what that involved (can't find any more info on the internet) but would I thought that would be fearing cold?

Poikiothermism (the quality or state of being cold-blooded)

Ah, so he has some Marsh blood in his ancestry, eh? The photos of him I have seen show no evidence of "moist, bulging eyes" or "wide, lipless mouth".

I would suspect that most from those old New England families have (or suspect) some skeletons in the family closet. That would explain a lot of his work right there.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not but I'll drop it in here:

Interview with T. Peter Park, Fortean authority on H.P. Lovecraft
www.horrorlibrary.net/view_story.php?story_id=486

Its a lengthy interview which discusses Fort and then moves on to possible Forteana happening to Lovecraft.

And by the same guy:

Also relevant:
www.anomalist.com/features/lincolnlg.html

And from Anomalist #9:

H.P. Lovercraft: An Abductee?

by T. Peter Parks

Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937) is widely recognized as one of the great classic American masters of the macabre supernatural tale, in the tradition of Edgar Allan Poe and Ambrose Bierce. His blending of an extensive, intimate knowledge of the history, geography, landscape, and folklore of his native New England with his own elaborate mythology of extra-terrestrial and other-dimensional beings, prehistoric alien civilizations, and quaint and curious invented volumes of forbidden lore like the Necronomicon of Abdul Alhazred gave Lovecraft's fiction a verisimilitude rare in fantasy literature. His stories originally appeared in the 1920s and 1930s in cheap "pulp" magazines with lurid covers like Weird Tales and Amazing Stories, but since his death in 1937 he has won a solid, respectable minor niche in American literature. Lovecraft was a scholarly, lonely, semi-reclusive youth who later blossomed into one of the twentieth century's great letter-writers and a warm, encouraging friend of many neophyte authors.

www.anomalist.com/print/cont9.html

--------
See also:

Fort and Lovecraft??
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2264

Huzzah, after five years in development hell, several companies going bust and the entire development team being made redundant:

Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth is finally released for PC tomorrow! It came out for Xbox just before Xmas and I was actually on the verge of buying one just to play it but my patience has been rewarded.

Now let's just hope it's not pants. ;)

Hmm ... it was OK on xbox ... a bit too first-person-shootery and quite difficult, never finished it, got bogged down in a generic warehouse level .... I far prefered Eternal Darkness on the gamecube ... not technically a Lovecraft game but really had the right atmosphere and themes, I thought.

I should point out I am actually far to lazy to actually play these things and mainly just watch someone else do it ;)

_Lizard23_ said:
Hmm ... it was OK on xbox ... a bit too first-person-shootery and quite difficult,

Oh that was the bit I was looking forward to.

Ah well horses for courses I suppose. :D

Re: His Father Was Insane!

MrRING said:
I thought this weird:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft
Lovecraft was born in his family home at 194 (then 454) Angell Street in Providence, Rhode Island. His father was Winfield Scott Lovecraft, a traveling salesman of jewelry and precious metals / When Lovecraft was three his father became acutely psychotic at a hotel in Chicago, where he was on a business trip, and was brought back to Butler Hospital in Providence, where he remained for the rest of his life. His affliction was general paresis / General paresis of the insane, also known as paralytic dementia, is now known to be a result of syphilis.

so basically, his dad, selling jewelry to fancy ladies, couldn't keep it in his trousers as he travelled up and down the country. Such was his demise.

lupinwick said:
Now let's just hope it's not pants. Wink

So is it any good then?

Beats me, I can't get the damned thing to work.

It's a long story involving graphics card drivers, dodgy GPU chips, SIS chipset system boards, oh god I'm even boring myself.

For the brief period it does work, yeah it's great.... :D

The bad news is that the Developers have gone into receivership so chance of a patch. :(

Back