• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

H. P. Lovecraft

This does look amazing!

Someone Made a Necronomicon Pop Up Book and It’s Amazing
by John Squires
October 9, 2017

Illustrated by Skinner and designed/produced by Poposition Press, the Necronomicon Pop Up Book contains five pop up spreads, each illustrating key moments in seminal H.P. Lovecraft stories. The five stories featured in the book are: The Dunwich Horror, The Shadow Out of Time, The Call of Cthulhu, At The Mountains of Madness and The Colour Out of Space.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3463815/someone-made-necronomicon-pop-book-amazing/

22815214_10208159118654290_5526769426537815509_n.jpg

With that modern punk haircut he's prolly a time traveler...
;)

He's actually got a nice, non-creepy smile.
Can't be real.

Oh right, it's not.

The first time I ever saw a photograph of Howard P I was on strong acid.

Some things cannot be unseen.

Here's another article (more focused on the film) on Stanley's upcoming film. Also if anyone hasn't seen it yet I recommend the 2014 documentary film, Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau,

The Colour Out of Space Film Moving Forward at SpectreVision

By Maggie Dela Paz
ON September 15, 2018

In an interview with Birth.Movies.Death, SpectreVision’s co-founder Josh C. Waller has announced that they are still moving forward with the film adaptation of author H.P. Lovecraft’s science fiction short story The Colour Out of Space,which will be directed by Richard Stanley (Hardware).

RELATED: Exclusive Interview: Richard Stanley on LOST SOUL, DR. MOREAU and THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE

“It’s moving along,” said Waller. “We announced that we were going to be doing it, what, three years ago? Let’s just say that we’re getting a lot closer. Significantly closer. Like, it’s coming up, so I will be busy with Richard on set with that sometime in the near future.”

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/981685-moving-forward-the-colour-out-of-space

Assessing those who write in the Lovecraftian Mythos.

Revising Lovecraft: The Mutant Mythos
By Paul StJohn Mackintosh

OCTOBER 17, 2018

A VAST TIDE of Lovecraftian fiction, revisionist or otherwise, is published every year. I remember reading a claim — which I’ve been unable to track down — that roughly 50 percent of titles published each year in the weird/dark fiction metacategory are more or less Lovecraftian. Why do we see this current fascination with Lovecraft, and why is revisionism necessary in the first place?

Enough unreconstructed pastiches, homages, and Mythosian works have thrived in the ever-expanding universe of the Lovecraftian canon to make a case for continuing to mine the same seam without revision, despite its impurities and toxic contaminants. There are very good reasons, though, why fidelity to Lovecraft can’t be continued unproblematically anymore — reasons that transcend accusations of virtue signaling or kneejerk political correctness. Lovecraft scholar Robert M. Price, for example, attempted to valorize Lovecraft from an alt-right perspective in his keynote speech at NecronomiCon 2015; right-wing reappropriation of Lovecraft looks to be on the rise, and some readers and fans (such as Michel Houellebecq) appear genuinely ready to swallow Lovecraft’s ethnic bigotry and apocalyptic nihilism whole. In these circumstances, revisionist Lovecraftian fiction looks like a proper and sufficient counterbalance.

As a reader, one may be able to enjoy Lovecraft without agreeing with him. As a writer, though, one almost certainly won’t be able to produce meaningful, enduring, or even enjoyable Lovecraft-inspired work (for anyone other than white supremacists) without understanding the author’s underlying credo. In short, you can’t understand the artist without engaging the bigot. The title of Alison Sperling’s 2017 LARB review on Lovecraftian scholarship “Acknowledgment Is Not Enough” cuts more ways than one: it’s impossible to understand the writer’s intellectual roots and concerns, even his aesthetic, without tackling his mindset. It’s also become almost impossible to write well within Lovecraft’s Mythos without addressing what it was a myth of. Revisionism is not just The Right Thing, it’s also The Smart Thing.

You can’t understand Lovecraft’s conflation of personal miscegenation and hereditary flaws with outside threats, social decay, and vast panoramas of evolution across Deep Time without first understanding the turn-of-the-century traditions within mainstream experimental literature and polemical pseudo-scientific writing that influenced him. Lovecraft may have been a bizarre, original outlier in the context of 1920s horror or science fiction, but he was completely comprehensible (and even representative) within these older and larger traditions. Many other far-right literary figures on both sides of World War I share much of Lovecraft’s grab-bag of Symbolist, Decadent, Spenglerian, and world-weary fin-de-siècle values and tropes. Period clichés of Yellow Book dandyism and racial doomsaying abound in this context. D’Annunzio, Hamsun, and Jean Lorrain would all have recognized a kindred spirit in Lovecraft, and period readers of Max Nordau’s Degeneration and sponsors of the Race Betterment Foundation would recognize familiar ideas, thinly recast, in Lovecraft’s oeuvre.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/revising-lovecraft-the-mutant-mythos/

A nice turn of phrase or two from 'The Lurking Fear'

"a blasphemous abnormality from hell's nethermost craters" (I must memorize that one for the next swine that does anything at all to make my day less than perfect, hehe)

"I felt the strangling tendrils of a cancerous horror whose roots reached into illimitable pasts and fathomless abysms of the night that broods beyond time" (just because it uses the word 'abysms')

Every page has multiple lines to choose from.

Not to change the direction of the Lovecraft tread, however anyone have a Lovecraft favorite (story or movie). The Dunwich Horror was my favorite.

I think we are losing touch with how big and terrible it would be if Cthulhu woke up. It has been dumbed down in the internet age.

This being crossed nameless voids ffs. Now he looks like Elvis on a toilet.

That's a sketch by the author, what are we loosing touch with?

If you're talking about the kitsch/cute-ification of Cthulhu et al - i.e. the plush dolls, slippers etc, I agree, although I enjoy that stuff too.

Not to change the direction of the Lovecraft tread, however anyone have a Lovecraft favorite (story or movie). The Dunwich Horror was my favorite.
I really enjoyed The Dunwich Horror also. I'm talking about the story that is. There was also a movie made of it in the 1970's which I downloaded last week. But to my unhappy surprise and Dunwichian horror it turned out not to be The Dunwich Horror at all but a movie called Murders in the Rue Morgue. Herbert Lom and Jason Robards were in it (I forced myself to watch it and 'twas not the worst). Serves me right I suppose.

Back