• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hag Stones

Don't either of you worry about the migraine part, many people get the aura without any pain.

Like Fluttermoth, I've also had these. My optician said they were ocular migraines (the google images are spot on for what I see). They normally start in the centre of my vision and gradually radiate outwards, sometimes I get a headache over top of the eye. I have to admit the first couple of times it happened I was terrified, but now I just tend to shut my eyes and wait for them to pass.
I hope Mrs Swifty is okay now x

Yes it definitely sounds like a migraine aura to me too. For me it is a bit like I have accidently looked at the sun but I get a certain area of my vision blurred with it. It may form zig zags or strange shapes.

Yes it definitely sounds like a migraine aura to me too. For me it is a bit like I have accidently looked at the sun but I get a certain area of my vision blurred with it. It may form zig zags or strange shapes.
That's pretty much what she described and looking through the hag stone 'cured' her after 30 seconds (so she tells me) .. here's some artists impressions of migraine auras .. some folklore says you should wash out your hag stone after using it in this way, similar to if you present an engagement ring to someone and they turn you down .. you're supposed to 'cleanse' it by holding the ring in running water ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=migraine aura&biw=907&bih=429&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjme7itp7NAhXpJcAKHRrNDfYQ_AUIBigB

I personally buy co-codamol as they are tons cheaper than Migraleve. Years ago a chmist told me that the psycho active ingredients are identical, paracetamol and codiene. I can't say it is definitely true but I have never had problems using co-codamol.

I like the pencil markings idea on top of that .... and with any luck, AnonyJoolz's marked stones will be washing up on a beach somewhere in the future and exciting the hell out of future researchers .. "By these markings, we can tell that these stones were clearly used in fertility rituals!"

I wonder what they'll make of the smallest stone - marked '2.5' :oops:

I think that's called "scintillating scotoma", I've had it twice in my life. It's fascinating but also scary it you don't know what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

That's a great page on it, thank you! The animated examples are brilliant. I recognise them all. Had to drive home a few times with them, scary. Had the blindness bit too.

Used to get either the vision problems or the full-on headache/sick/photophobia version, never the two together.
These days I sometimes get a bit of the zig-zags but seem to have grown out of the really bad stuff.

What bothered me about the migraine was how prostrate I was for most of 24 hours, at a time when I had young children. It was worrying to think I couldn't look after them properly.

They remind me of Rubik's Snake, a toy that came in the wake of the Cube. I get this when I've been deprived of sleep or especially stressed, but no headache though. I make sure I'm in bed by nine on school nights.

Those animations in Uair01's link look like they could trigger something if you stared at them long enough.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 08.52.28.png

Here's a large holed stone we have in the rock garden:

HoledStone.JPG

It's about the size of an average human head (well, if the head was triangular and pointy :p)

Next migraine I get, I'll see if it has curative powers. :)

Here's a large holed stone we have in the rock garden:

View attachment 2873

It's about the size of an average human head (well, if the head was triangular and pointy :p)

Next migraine I get, I'll see if it has curative powers. :)
I've got two a bit like that but they're only half the size of an average human head .. one's yellow/orange and the other one's black and white :)

That's pretty much what she described and looking through the hag stone 'cured' her after 30 seconds (so she tells me) .. here's some artists impressions of migraine auras .. some folklore says you should wash out your hag stone after using it in this way, similar to if you present an engagement ring to someone and they turn you down .. you're supposed to 'cleanse' it by holding the ring in running water ..

It had the opposite effect on the Brahan Seer. Looking through his adder stone struck him blind in one eye (although he gained second sight from his stone, which could be considered a decent tradeoff).

By fun coincidence, not long before and not far from the area the Mrs found her 'Jesus face Stone', I'd found a couple of these brown and black striped stones that are almost certainly petrified wood. This is not an uncommon thing to find on East Anglia's beaches if you are lucky and have a sharp eye.

It turns out that there's also a folklore and especially Mormon Christianity 'thing' connected to these buggers .. I'll retire from this hobby when I find a Bruce Campbell stone, I've also found a snoopy stone, an ice cream stone and at a push, perhaps a Loch Ness monster stone .. so there you go :).

My little brown and black striped stone looks like these:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=seer stone&biw=907&bih=429&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjcoc3entjNAhWbOsAKHTEXARoQ_AUIBigB

edit: ... and a bit of folklore about them ...

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/10/joseph-the-seer?lang=eng

Last edited:
By fun coincidence, not long before and not far from the area the Mrs found her 'Jesus face Stone', I'd found a couple of these brown and black striped stones that are almost certainly petrified wood. This is not an uncommon thing to find on East Anglia's beaches if you are lucky and have a sharp eye.

It turns out that there's also a folklore and especially Mormon Christianity 'thing' connected to these buggers .. I'll retire from this hobby when I find a Bruce Campbell stone, I've also found a snoopy stone, an ice cream stone and at a push, perhaps a Loch Ness monster stone .. so there you go :).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=seer stone&biw=907&bih=429&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjcoc3entjNAhWbOsAKHTEXARoQ_AUIBigB

I like them. They're oddly soothing to look at even in photo form. Maybe it's the organic flowing patterns.

Had a walk along the beach at Seaham today. It was lovely, low winter sun but warm and bright. Found these. I've propped them up on pencils as it makes the holes easier to see through.
Stone 1, side a -
Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 18.19.35jpg.jpg
Stone 1, side b -
Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 18.19.54jpg.jpg
Stone 2, side a -
Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 18.20.07jpg.jpg
Stone 2, side b -
Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 18.20.20jpg.jpg

Stone 2 has two holes all the way through but one has a small rock jammed in it. If it wasn't there it would look a bit like a face with eyes, I think.
No more nightmares or migraines for me!

that's just lovely!
I've propped them up on pencils as it makes the holes easier to see through.

clever! I have two from a very dear friend - I use them as fidgets and I have to fight other people off once they have seen them :)

Had a walk along the beach at Seaham today. It was lovely, low winter sun but warm and bright. Found these. I've propped them up on pencils as it makes the holes easier to see through.
Stone 1, side a -
View attachment 3593
Stone 1, side b -
View attachment 3594
Stone 2, side a -
View attachment 3595
Stone 2, side b -
View attachment 3596

Stone 2 has two holes all the way through but one has a small rock jammed in it. If it wasn't there it would look a bit like a face with eyes, I think.

Very nice. Any prophecies from them yet? Visions of lottery numbers? Fate of civilisation?

Very nice. Any prophecies from them yet?

I left these on my bedside cabinet last night. I dreamt that a couple of relatives of mine had sold something very precious belonging to me without my consent or knowledge. I was furious and started arguing with them. I woke up really angry at 1.15.
Then, just before the alarm at 6, I was dreaming this same couple had gone and sold my car behind my back. They used the proceeds to buy themselves a little red two-seater sports car.
Two almost identical dreams in one night, I wouldn't class them as nightmares although they weren't very nice at all.

I left one on my bedside cabinet the last time I was in hospital just for good luck. I ended up giving it to a young Chinese health care assistant when I left because she was dead friendly and she was particularly taken by the stone. I told her how to research it on the internet. I couldn't tell you if it affected my dreams or not to be honest.

Last edited:
Well, if you, me, Swifty and Escargot can't see the innuendo, then it's probably not there.
That Coal is a deep one though....... although probably not a Deep One? :eek:

I left these on my bedside cabinet last night.

Last night it was my wife's turn, she woke me up by repeating 'No! No!' in her sleep so I woke her up. She had been dreaming of ghosts. It was 5 am.
So I'm not yet convinced that these stones can prevent nightmares. It would seem they are having the opposite effect so far but I'll continue to keep them by the side of the bed and see how things go.
There is always the chance that two stones might cancel each other out but by that logic I would have been plagued by migraines.

You could have them the wrong way up, perhaps?

I did wonder if there was a right and wrong side.

So for 2 stones that's 4(?) possible combinations? I think I'll keep the smaller one in my jacket pocket, the larger one by the bed. Or get some string and hang it.

Back