• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hag Stones

Jennifer_menantol_600.jpg
Try hanging this one 'round your neck

Might make a pleasant change; this rotting albatross is really starting to reek...

Define, 'a bit'.
A lot .. except it's all outside and positioned on my back fence without poncy wooden display things .. I've got a couple of favourites, one that look like an Easter Island face but printed on stone and one that looks the same but is Snoopy ... and others ..

Of course Alan Garner beat us all to it.

In The Owl Service the Stone of Gronw is presumably a hag stone...
Would you like one DRB? .. I'll send one to you in the post if you want one, you wouldn't be the first though but they're good fun if you class stones as 'fun' .. send me a pm ..

Thats very kind and much appreciated, but I actually do have one - I found it when I was helping my mate gravel his path.

They always feel to me like something that has to come to you naturally anyway, but thankyou for the thought.
No sweat .. ;) .. and the Mrs has an ongoing problem with her eyes .. sticky, dry and itchy .. she also gets acidic feeling painful tears .. she's been prescribed eye drops but I've also given her a hag stone to look through .. I think that her switching her focus from normal vision to looking through a hole might help her eye muscle reflexes and might help .. folklore also says they're good for eye problems so fingers crossed ...

... some bloke being all New Age'ish about Hag Stones ..

Last edited:
Re: hagstones and migraines -

I was down all day Thursday with a migraine, the kind that nothing would help. Finally I decided to try the hagstone method. Immediately upon looking through it, I got an intense pain around my eye and then threw up. I felt better after that.

If you have migraines, then you already know the vomiting phase is usually the end phase of the headache. Looking through the hagstone seemed to trigger it. Judging by how it felt, I would guess it has to do with forcing the eye muscles and nerves to respond a certain way.

Re: hagstones and migraines -

I was down all day Thursday with a migraine, the kind that nothing would help. Finally I decided to try the hagstone method. Immediately upon looking through it, I got an intense pain around my eye and then threw up. I felt better after that.

If you have migraines, then you already know the vomiting phase is usually the end phase of the headache. Looking through the hagstone seemed to trigger it. Judging by how it felt, I would guess it has to do with forcing the eye muscles and nerves to respond a certain way.

Glad you're feeling better. That seems like a very quick remedy.

Maybe someone could try looking through a non-Hagstone hole next time they have a migraine. Like a hole punched in a piece of card, for example. See if it has any effect.

Maybe someone could try looking through a non-Hagstone hole next time they have a migraine. Like a hole punched in a piece of card, for example. See if it has any effect.
I reckon the card with the hole punched would need to be black or dark coloured for this exercise to work so as not to re reflect light back to someone's eye, yes :cool: .. I hope ..

I've been meaning to reply here for days, but can't get this page to load on the 'puter for love nor money. Well, money might work, if it was used to buy a new computer. :p

I would suggest something more tube-like than a piece of card - maybe the cardboard from a roll of paper towels? Something about the distance from my eye to the light at the other end seemed to be part of the effect.

I was going to try this myself next time, just to see if it made a difference.

I found an unusual hag stone on the beach a few days ago, it looks to be flint (which isn't unusual) but has a pale winter's day sky blue coating on most of the surface with small white speckles .. the hole through it has a distinct white ring running all the way through it, both on the surface and inside ... I've decided to keep it as an incense stick holder if we ever get round to burning incense again. I was going to give it to someone I know but the Mrs got a bit cross about that idea so it's staying with us, in fact, it now officially belongs to her, I wasn't given much choice in the matter LOL .. I'll try to get some pics of it to post here.

edit:

Sharon stone jpg.jpg

.. please also enjoy noticing the stones the look like a bit like an Easter Island head, Snoopy and an ice cream cone in this pic ..

Last edited:
I popped up the road for a chat with my ex co worker today, she sometimes has to bring her 4 year old daughter into work with her and I had a hag stone in my pocket so I showed it to her .. she said "it's whispering, is it hurt?" .. "no it's not hurt, don't worry .. it's only a stone like the pavement" .. "I can hear it!" .. "would you like to keep it?" .. "yes" .. then she pottered off and started wrapping play dough around it ..... weird ... I told her that some people think they are magic but they're really only stones with holes in them.

It seems hag stones also existed a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ... I wonder it the stone in The Last Jedi trailer that Rey light sabre trains next to is a fake prop (I expect so) or a genuine stone ? .. if it's a genuine rock, I can imagine serious Star Wars nerds trying to locate it .. :)

Ahch-To-Training.jpg

edit: looks like it's a real hag rock!, 11th picture down in this link:

https://www.thewholeworldisaplayground.com/visiting-skellig-michael-skellig-islands-kerry/

HagrockTheLastJedi.jpg

Last edited:
Whats the Geology of Skellig Michael? Looks like mountain limestone to me.

(I am no Geologist)

... edit: looks like it's a real hag rock!, 11th picture down in this link: ...

For the record ... That's the stone called the Wailing Woman - a famed feature of Skellig Michael.

For the record ... That's the stone called the Wailing Woman - a famed feature of Skellig Michael.
Thanks mate, I didn't know it had a name ..

.. and I've started turning hag stones into key rings just so we can all hook them onto and tell each other's identical emergency food picking carts apart early in the mornings .. more honestly though, because I love hag stones. My cart's got a Spiderman key ring hanging off it so I can tell mine apart from everyone else's because I invented the key ring idea and the boss has given me the thumbs up. Hag stones are rolling the aisles of Morrisons.

Thanks mate, I didn't know it had a name ..

.. and I've started turning hag stones into key rings just so we can all hook them onto and tell each other's identical emergency food picking carts apart early in the mornings .. more honestly though, because I love hag stones. My cart's got a Spiderman key ring hanging off it so I can tell mine apart from everyone else's because I invented the key ring idea and the boss has given me the thumbs up. Hag stones are rolling the aisles of Morrisons.
They'll stir up psychic energy and turn Morrison's into a Hellmouth.

So nothing will change.

and I've started turning hag stones into key rings just so we can all hook them onto and tell each other's identical emergency food picking carts apart early in the mornings .. more honestly though, because I love hag stones. My cart's got a Spiderman key ring hanging off it so I can tell mine apart from everyone else's because I invented the key ring idea and the boss has given me the thumbs up. Hag stones are rolling the aisles of Morrisons.

This is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!

*goes and polishes hagstones given by Swifty*

This is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!

*goes and polishes hagstones given by Swifty*
YES! ..hag stones are now official 'key workers' Fridesy :) (plus when we're all half awake, we don't fuck up as much) .. I use Spiderman instead because he makes me and the customers smile even though I'm not into super heroes because that's for 7 year olds.

Last edited:
That much is obvious. Spider-Man is hyphenated. ;)
Then he should drink more water

I'm not into 'tights and fights' heroes although he does look snazzy swinging about on my cart.

Last edited:
I found this explanation on the formation reason for hag stones a couple of days ago. I haven't been able to provide an image large enough to read yet because I'm a bit crap at that but if anyone wants to, they can zoom in on the text in this image .. it's the .. 'and Doughnuts?' part although does this explain why they're also found in rivers in the U.S.?

X-ahagstones007.jpg

Attachments

• ahagstones007.jpg
    ahagstones007.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
Back