• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hair Colour & Personality (Redheads: Fact & Fiction)

gncxx said:
Neil Kinnock? Sir Clive Sinclair?
Look, back in them days, the papers only had B&W pics, din' they?

Arthur Scargill is a redhead whose hair lost its colour before he went partly bald, however.

Robin Cook's another one. He lost quite a lot of hair.

Obviously, all this stereotyping is nonsense. Any genetic predisposition towards certain kinds of behaviour common in those with certain hair shades would contain such great overlaps as to be meaningless. However...

My only real experience of the stereotype proving true was with a ginger haired young lady I was very close to many years ago. Frankly, temperamental hardly covers it! You could ride this girl's mood swings to the Moon and back.

Regarding the effect different female hair colours have on us blokeys, an the whole I tend to be more attracted to brunettes than blondes, and more attracted to redheads than either (even though I'm red-green colourblind!). Women with proper, carrot-top ginger hair have some completely disproportionate effect on me that I've even described as a "ginger fetish" in the past. I can't really explain it, but when it kicks in it feels quite primeval. :shock:

I was brown haired, but what's left, which isn't much, is a mixture of brown and grey.

I must recuse myself on the grounds that my first wife was a redhead. Irish. With freckles.

Seeing red: Does 'gingerism' really exist?
By Emma Ailes, BBC Scotland

If you, like me, were born with red hair, the chances are you grew up experiencing all manner of creative name-calling.
"Irn Bru! Carrot top! Ginger minger! Duracell!"
Even former equalities minister Harriet Harman got in on the act in 2011, when she called Lib Dem MP Danny Alexander a "ginger rodent". :shock:

Now Edinburgh's copper tops have decided enough is enough, and taken to the streets to march for Ginger Pride.

But is "gingerism" really that serious?
Among the hundred or so red heads at the march was Fiona Inglis from Edinburgh.
She loves her ginger hair now - but says school was a different matter.
"You don't want to be singled out, and having bright orange hair you definitely feel different," she said.
"That Prodigy song Fire Starter was a nightmare! I remember at school walking into the library and all the sixth years bursting into song with 'I'm a fire starter, twisted fire starter'.
"It's almost like ginger is a bad word. It's like any discrimination really. It's just picking on people, and it's not right."

Laura-Ann Horne from Stirling said she came to the march because her nine-month-old daughter Ivy has red hair.
She said: "My experience growing up was horrible. As a teenager, it was quite hard to live with - the names you get are things too rude to say.
"I do worry about it for my children. Hopefully by the time Ivy goes to school it will be less of a problem."

According to the ScotlandsDNA project, only about 0.6% of the world's population has red hair.
In Scotland, the figure is thought to be about 13% - approximately 650,000 people.

The Edinburgh Ginger Pride rally was organised by Canadian comedian Shawn Hitchins, who is performing his show, Ginger Nation, at the Edinburgh Festival.
There's no doubt it has generated valuable publicity for him: a large gaggle of photographers and journalists turned up for the march. Gingers make good pictures.
And he's not the only one cashing in on the ginger gene.
Later this month dozens of gingers will take to the skies as Flybe attempts to break an unofficial record for "most redheads on a plane". Even the crew will be redheads. 8)
Irn Bru have run a series of ginger-themed advertising campaigns.

But Hitchins insisted there was a serious message behind his stunt.
"Gingerism does exist, people do experience bullying, and people do feel discriminated against," he said.

"They are very few and far between in Canada, so for me it was one more thing that added to my sense of isolation as a gay kid.
"It was that one more thing where I felt I just don't belong."
And there have been reports of incidents where "gingerism" has gone beyond a bit of name-calling.

In 2007, a family from Newcastle said they were forced to move home by a gang who targeted them over their ginger hair.
Kevin and Barbara Chapman said they and their four children endured more than three years of taunts, smashed windows, graffiti and violence.
"The abuse we get is unbelievable," Mr Chapman said at the time.
"They've been punched and kicked and thrown over a hedge. Every time they go out these gangs get to them."

But not everyone with red hair has had such a bad experience.
Back at the march, crowds of tourists gathered to take photographs of the flame-haired procession up the Royal Mile.
Heather Hughes from Paisley was among those waving a Ginger and Proud banner. She said she has always loved having red hair.
"My family were always saying 'your hair's fantastic', or you'd get little old ladies coming up to you in the street, so I've always loved it.
"There was picking on, but I think it makes you tough. If I was a brunette, I'd probably be a very shy brunette, as opposed to a very loud ginger. :twisted:
"I'll definitely be here again, it was fantastic."

Next year, Hitchins promises the march will be even bigger - and even redder.

--------------------------------

Ginger stats

Red hair is the result of a mutation in the MC1R protein on chromosome-16.
Even if parents do not have red hair themselves, if both are carriers for the gene they can have a red headed child.
At least 1.8 million Scots carry a red head gene variant - although most are unaware that they do.
Alastair Moffat, managing director, believes the abundance of red-heads in Scotland is partly down to the climate: "We have an Atlantic climate and we need light skin to get as much vitamin D from the sun as possible."

ScotlandsDNA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-23648041

My sister has an unusual hair colour - strawberry blonde.
She was always getting complimented by people about her hair, and never bullied.

Nobody else in my family has that colour of hair, so the milkman has some explaining to do... :)

Yup, our Escet (the physicist) has that colour. He sometimes grows it long. We were once pulled over by the California Highway Patrol (proper CHiPs, on a motorbike an' everything) and the officer called Escet 'Miss' because of the hair! :lol:

Escet got off with a warning because the patrolman had already written out a ticket addressed to 'Ms'. We were pathetically grateful. :lol:

escargot1 said:
Yup, our Escet (the physicist) has that colour. He sometimes grows it long. We were once pulled over by the California Highway Patrol (proper CHiPs, on a motorbike an' everything) and the officer called Escet 'Miss' because of the hair! :lol:

Escet got off with a warning because the patrolman had already written out a ticket addressed to 'Ms'. We were pathetically grateful. :lol:
Like it! :rofl:

A "ginger extremist" who wanted to shoot the Prince of Wales so Prince Harry could be king has been detained under the Mental Health Act.

The Old Bailey heard Mark Colborne felt discriminated against because of his ginger hair and fantasised about putting the red-headed Harry on the throne.

The 37-year-old compared himself to the Norwegian far-right mass murderer Anders Breivik and made notes in his diary of his plan to assassinate Prince Charles with a high-powered sniper rifle.

Jurors were told he bought the ingredients for the deadly poison cyanide over the internet, and stockpiled dust masks, metal filter funnels, plastic syringes and latex gloves.

http://news.sky.com/story/1610867/ginger-extremist-held-under-mental-health-act

Barking mad!
Wouldn't he also have to kill Wills before Harry could become king?

My grandmother had dark red hair, mine was strawberry blonde and my eldest granddaughter has that dark rich red colour.
Her father's grandmother was red as well.
We share fair skin that freckles and don't feel the cold so much as others. I don't think any of us could be called fiery although if someone annoys me I just have to look at them very hard to have them backtrack.
Nowadays I rinse my hair in herbs and henna a couple of times a year so that my hair looks much the same.

I read today that redheads have a high tolerance to painkillers - is this accurate?

I don't often have to take painkillers but when I do I always take less than recommended.

Mrs Coal is a red-head and she has a high pain threshold and when very cross, domestic appliance in the general vicinity would just break (although not so often these days, when we first cohabited, stuff would just "go wrong" a lot.)

Sunlight is 'out', big hats are 'in' and like me Mrs Coal likes the house at around 12-15C, even in the winter and we have the bedroom window open most of the year.

The three offspring are two blondes, like the women on my side of the family and one with a tinge of their mother's colour.

Organisers of the Irish Redhead Convention — an annual celebration in Crosshaven, Co Cork, of all things ginger, attracting global media attention and thousands of visitors over the last seven years — confirmed it will not take place next summer.

Founder Joleen Cronin said she was extremely disappointed, and blamed increased costs and lack of public funding for the decision. She described the level of funding the event received as “a joke”, given the media attention it attracted.

“When we launched in 2010, we had little idea of the enormous impact our ginger gathering would have on redheads of all ages and the positive shifts in attitudes towards having red hair.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/irela...morrow-redhead-festival-cancelled-433367.html

Organisers of the Irish Redhead Convention — an annual celebration in Crosshaven, Co Cork, of all things ginger, attracting global media attention and thousands of visitors over the last seven years — confirmed it will not take place next summer.

Founder Joleen Cronin said she was extremely disappointed, and blamed increased costs and lack of public funding for the decision. She described the level of funding the event received as “a joke”, given the media attention it attracted.

“When we launched in 2010, we had little idea of the enormous impact our ginger gathering would have on redheads of all ages and the positive shifts in attitudes towards having red hair.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/irela...morrow-redhead-festival-cancelled-433367.html

If my mother-in-law found out about this cancellation, she would probably march straight over to Ireland and shout at someone about it. She's a proud fiery redhead with tne stereotypical temperament to match. :p

Her sister and my husband both have auburn hair and more mellow personalities.

No violent incidents at Redhead Featival.

Hundreds of redheads from around the world have gathered in the southern Dutch town of Tilburg for an annual festival celebrating their amber locks.

Natural redheads from countries including the UK, Israel, Germany, Italy and New Zealand made the trip for the three-day event, which organisers Redhead Days say is all about "connection, pride and recognition".

Peet Montzingo is crowd surfed by redheads at the festival
IMAGE SOURCE, REUTERS Image caption, Internet personality Peet Montzingo, who describes himself on Instagram as a "ginger with a soul", was seen surfing through the crowd at the event

A child with freckles and blue eyes stares into the camera
IMAGE SOURCE, REUTERS

A crowd of people with red hair look up into the camera at the festival
IMAGE SOURCE, REUTERS The festival was founded in 2005 by Bart Rouwenhorst who, rather surprisingly, is blond.

The amateur painter found himself drawn to the aesthetic qualities of redheads, so advertised for 15 ginger models to paint - only to be deluged with 150 responses.

They were all photographed - but when many of those who did not get selected voiced their disappointment, Mr Rouwenhorst decided to make an annual event of it.

A red-haired woman stands in a crowd with her dog
IMAGE SOURCE,REUTERS In 2013, Redhead Days festival-goers made it into the Guinness Book of World Records when 1,672 people got together in the largest recorded gathering of people with natural red hair.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66632465

My sister has 'strawberry blonde' hair. Red hair skipped a generation in my family - my grandma had red hair too.

My sister has 'strawberry blonde' hair. Red hair skipped a generation in my family - my grandma had red hair too.
I had it as well and so did my Grandma and my granddaughter.
Mine has faded with age of course but I decided to freshen it up wit herbs as I do every few months and used a diferent lot. Now, much to the laughter of especially my oldest son in law who pretended to call me by his daughter's name, I'm waiting for it to fade down a bit more.
Nobody seemed to notice at Probus although they might have been just being polite.

I had it as well and so did my Grandma and my granddaughter.
Mine has faded with age of course but I decided to freshen it up wit herbs as I do every few months and used a diferent lot. Now, much to the laughter of especially my oldest son in law who pretended to call me by his daughter's name, I'm waiting for it to fade down a bit more.
Nobody seemed to notice at Probus although they might have been just being polite.
Go full-on - make it as bright red as you can!

Mine was always strawberry blonde . Grandma and granddaughter had and have the dark rich red.

I have one son-in-law and 4 grandchildren with red hair and blue eyes that have stubborn ways.

Red hair and blue eyes is so rare.

Out of the 8 billion people on earth, only 13 million have red hair and blue eyes.

Some scientists think red hair and blue eyed people are becoming extinct.

I believe this is true. Either because they hung out together in the same bars, or possibly because they were all sleeping with the same women. Actually I suspect both were true.
Artists used professional models. They were paid and there didn't have to be any hanky-panky going on.
Some brought their own props which can be spotted with them in various works, like the elderly lady in the distinctive red cloak.

Artists did of course sometimes paint their own family and friends. They've always done that. Posing is tedious though.

The Germans have a saying about red-headed women:

"The roof may be on fire, but the basement is always damp."

:evillaugh:

maximus otter

I have one son-in-law and 4 grandchildren with red hair and blue eyes that have stubborn ways.

Red hair and blue eyes is so rare.

Out of the 8 billion people on earth, only 13 million have red hair and blue eyes.

Some scientists think red hair and blue eyed people are becoming extinct.
Not round here, mate!
Among the celtic peoples (terrible term, I know), but Ireland, Scotland, possibly a bit of Wales, blue eyes and red hair is probaly the most common variation of red heads.

Red hair and brown eyes, now that is rare.

My eldest son is 6'2" and flame haired with light blue eyes and near translucent skin.

I guess the 13 million people in the world with red hair and blue eyed must live in Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.

The big downside of red hair and blue eyes is my family members are so sensitive to the sun.

In the summer my family members buy lots of sunscreen.

I assume my wife and I carry “double recessive genes “ , one for the red hair and one for the blue eyes.

I think my beard before it turned white had a little red hair.

I think my wife before she turned white had a few streaks of red.

Back