• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hair Colour & Personality (Redheads: Fact & Fiction)

A

Anonymous

Hair colour and personality (WARNING: POLITICALLY INCORRECT

The latest thread "Man stabbed over 'ginger hair' " has made me wonder: how true are those old beliefs that a person's hair colour reflects - if not determines - his/her character? For instance, redheads (especially females) are reputed to be wilful and wayward. How about blondes? Is their reputation truly justified? Regardless of whether they are natural or dyed? (Myself, I'm tall and dark, so I remain objective ;) ) What are your thoughts?

(Disclaimer: this is a pseudo-scientific survey/discussion, no offence meant to any hair colour/shade) :D

Well, as a female adult, I've been all three. I'm naturally brunette, but have been a red head and mostly a blonde (hey, everyone's got a hobby) I'm very outgoing anyhow, but find I get much more attention from males as a blonde....however....that could be societal programming, since blondes are supposed to be "easy"......(that's about as psuedo scientific as it gets!!)

I'm a brunnette, but I have a redhead temperament, and the "smarts" of a blonde :D

I'm naturally a darkish sandy blonde, and lighten up a lot in the summer, so...blonde. Can't say that many of the stereotypes fit at all. My redheaded (auburn) sister, on the other hand, is a tempermental t**t so I vote for redheads fitting their stereotype.

We have red heads in our family. The reds aren't more tempermental than the browns or blondes, but our family does have a reputation for being a little short fused.

Not murder, knives and guns short fused, but quick with words (and ok... sometimes fists - not that I have ever, of course, but I've fantasized about knocking a few heads together, oh yes, mmmm :hmph: )

In my experience (as a super intelligent dark brown :rolleyes: ) I can see no difference at all in the intelligence or temper of women whatever their natural or adopted hair colour.

Brunettes get a bad press which is most unfair seeing as we're sexier than any other hair colour....;)

Wasn't there a study a few years back that found different trace elements in the blood of people of different hair colour which might account for their temperent. Typically thats all i can remember of the report.

Personally i think it's all cultural my mother has been blonde, red and dark and get much more attention as a blonde.

<<< I can see no difference at all in the intelligence or temper of women whatever their natural or adopted hair colour. >>>

I agree, beakboo. Intelligence has nothing to do with the natural colour but sometimes shows in the selected one. :D

Still, I think that the natural colour may have some shaping impact on a person's behaviour, especially a growing child. Perhaps being the centre of attention and liking it - especially for blondes? This may well be a precondition for a future lifestyle. Also, why it is a redhead tomboy that climbs trees and beats up boys, not a blonde? Stereotypes haven't been created for nothing ... ;)

LobeliaOverhill said:
I'm a brunnette, but I have a redhead temperament, and the "smarts" of a blonde :D
Cor! That's my kind of woman! :D

I think.

Mind you, I'm usually wrong about women. [Sigh]

Serious Shit.

It's a matter of record that if you want to depersonalise someone, take away their individuality and make them subject to the will of the group, then shaving their heads is the first step.

In prisons and boot camps, removing an individual's crowning glory with a pair of shears, or a set of clippers, is the first step to subjugating their will.

So, that's why I'm always get a bit worried when the voluntary slaphead look comes back into fashion. :(

Re: Serious Shit.

AndroMan said:
So, that's why I'm always get a bit worried when the voluntary slaphead look comes back into fashion. :(
Nah, it's just an attempt by blokes to suggest to everyone that going bald was a conscious decision. :D

Gloria said:
Still, I think that the natural colour may have some shaping impact on a person's behaviour, especially a growing child.
True enough. It must have an effect on a emerging personality to be treated differently, and blondes are undoubtedly treated differently. I remember as a child being resentful that the blonde girls were always chosen for the good parts in the nativity play. Mary was Jewish ferchrisake, i should have a fighting chance here! (not that I'm still bitter of course).
Blondes just get more attention from men. Fact.
It must affect them.

I wonder if it's an evolutionary thing, blonde hair = greater vitality and healthier genes?
I guess I would notice blondes, but I tend to go for all the extreme ends, I also like very dark, exotic looking women and red heads.

<< Blondes just get more attention from men. Fact. It must affect them. >>>

It does. No question. A blonde is like an invitation, at least to take another look. :D What baffles me is that most men don't care if someone's a natural or a dyed blonde - because the colour must be affectting them in a more important, subtle, subconscious way to worry about the authentic details .;)

Gloria said:
<< Blondes just get more attention from men. Fact. It must affect them. >>>

affectting them in a more important, subtle, subconscious way to worry about the authentic details .;)

yes aircraft blonds....

blond on top but black box

oh u threw my coat there did u..

sidecar_jon said:
yes aircraft blonds....

blond on top but black box

oh u threw my coat there did u..

Actually I drop kicked it, Jon.

Arrgh.

Some blondes, like me, like my daughter, are blonde hair, brown eyes. And so we have darkish eyebrows and darkish, erm...body hair. But the head o'hair is au naturel.

Gloria, you are right. Men that will cringe at the thought of silicone boobies (hey, I cringe too, just at the thought) never seem to give artificial haircolor a second thought. And like the fake tatas, fake-o dyed hair looks just that: fake.

beakboo said:
True enough. It must have an effect on a emerging personality to be treated differently, and blondes are undoubtedly treated differently. I remember as a child being resentful that the blonde girls were always chosen for the good parts in the nativity play. Mary was Jewish ferchrisake, i should have a fighting chance here! (not that I'm still bitter of course).

I remember that too! I was the natural choice for Mary at school but the part was always given to a blonde.

In fairy stories the good princess is always blonde and the bad fairy/witch will be dark. Blonde=innocence, dark=evil and mistrust. Men must crave a good and innocent woman.

Lillith said:
... Men must crave a good and innocent woman.
If they're innocent they can't be that good. Dark Hair .... *Howwwwwwl*

Blond on Bland (couldn't help myself)

Sue Johanson was discussing the "blonds have more fun" notion on the Sunday Night Sex Show (If you're not familiar with her or her show, imagine a sweet little old lady who makes Dr. Ruth seem like Dr. Seuss :blush: ).
As I recall, she said that it dates back to Greek times (what doesn't?), when prostitution was legal (Ah, the good ol' days). These wonderful working girls would dye their hair blond (apparently not a natural Greek colour, at least not then). That way, any time you saw a blond lady, you knew you could safely walk up and ask for a good time. Thus it became a pavlovian response: see blond, drool. Well, you get the picture, anyway.
As for hair colour determining personality, I think that's ridiculous. But then, what do I know, I'm just a dumb blond?
Er--no, wait... Hand me a mirror.... :confused:

as someone who started life blonde and whose hair has been going slowly darker, (i'll probably end up like my grandfather, black haired) how does this
Still, I think that the natural colour may have some shaping impact on a person's behaviour, especially a growing child.
affect me?

I come from a large family (I have 5 sisters of various heady hues)...

Blonde Sis is smart and runs her own business, but attracts the type of man who can only talk to her breasts (and then only in grunts);

Ginger Sis is not someone you want to tangle with when she's having a bad day;

Dark Brown Sis is funny, happily married for 20+ years, and kind to small animals (and relatives);

Light Brown Sis claims to be dark blonde, and acts to the stereotype;

Other Light Brown Sis is best described as unique;

Me? I'm a mixture (plus silver highlights!)

Jane.

Speaking as a brown haired geezer who has no particular preference for hair colour (since it is easily changed anyhoo...) and is more interested the person "under" the hair, perhaps the stereotypes of hair colouring comes from old racial traits as seen in the Graeco-Roman worldview.

Red-haired people would, generally, come from the celtic tribal stocks and have a reputation for agressive, temperamental and emotional behaviour.
Blonds would harken back to the nordic races (note none of the Aryian bullshit) and people who endured, were strong and sensual but not intelligent or "civilised".
The mediterranean colouring (of dark hair and eyes and "olive" complexion) would be seen as "average".

Q: What have the Romans ever done for us?
A: The aqueduct, sewerage, vineculture etc. etc. ... and subconcious racial stereotyping based on hair colouring!

Brown hair and ginger beard.

Does this mean I've a split personality?

Mind you, a couple more years and it'll all be the same colour anyway. :err:

Hubby's a redhead and he's got a fierce temper at times, but he's also a Scorpio, which also apparently causes short fused tendencies.

Well, aside from the recent grey hair, my hair is dark brown. which makes me a femme fatal, which can't be right because I'm a bloke ;)

Fallen Angel said:
Some blondes, like me, like my daughter, are blonde hair, brown eyes. And so we have darkish eyebrows and darkish, erm...body hair. But the head o'hair is au naturel.

yep me too... i think most natural blonds are brownish that goes blond in sunlight at least when a little older

Re: Blond on Bland (couldn't help myself)

Magus Perde said:
As I recall, she said that it dates back to Greek times (what doesn't?), when prostitution was legal (Ah, the good ol' days). These wonderful working girls would dye their hair blond (apparently not a natural Greek colour, at least not then). That way, any time you saw a blond lady, you knew you could safely walk up and ask for a good time. :

at one time the Romans went tho an extreme fashion for blond hair in women. All women wanted to be blond and there was only one way to do it....use the only bleaching agent they had, urine and spread it out to dry in the sun... they would fit a sort of white head colour round forehead and spread the hair out to get bleached as it dried in the sun.... apparently some did it to such and extreme that they died from heat stroke.... (and i hope they washed the urine out after too)

"Roman law once required prostitutes to wear blonde wigs, but the Emperor Claudius's wife, Messalina, wore a yellow wig on her nightly outings. The regulation was repealed and blonde wigs became the fashion of the day."
http://www.stophairlossnow.com/History.htm

In Roman times, the role of Aphrodite was assumed by Venus, another erotic goddess portrayed with golden locks. Again, she inspired prostitutes to hit the peroxide bottle, but the look also caught on as naturally blonde Germans were taken to Rome as slaves by conquering armies.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/13/1047431145006.html

Roman Women used to die their hair blonde with quicklime, wood ash, and old wine. They did this because they were jealous of the fair-haired German women brought back as captives by their husbands.
http://www.blondes.net/blondesinhistory.htm

Back