• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hair Thieves

Mama_Kitty

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I know there have been a few articles in FT over the past few years about hair thieves, and as a long-haired lass, I'm more than a little concerned. I'm out and about in London tomorrow and I'm sure I read in one of the articles that people steal hair while you're on the tube and stuff, although I think I read that this happened somewhere in Scandinavia rather than London. I would have to admit to the paranoid practice of keeping my hair tucked down the back of my coat when I'm out in London if it's down or temptingly plaited.

Am I being paranoid or am I at some risk of losing my lovely hair? I wouldn't mind normally, but I've just spent a fair bit getting it coloured, although they don't charge by the inch, so I reckon I got a fairly good deal.

Any thoughts?

Kitty.

I have to say that, after living in London for 15 years, and having been married to a woman with waist length hair for the majority of that time, I've never heard of this happening to anyone.

Thank you, I feel slightly reassured! I'm still going to run if anyone walks towards me with scissors and an evil grin . . .

Kitty.

I used to have waist length hair and my biggest fear was anything happening to it. I used to have the most horrible dreams where it was either forcibly cut off or I asked for it to be cut and then immediately regreted it. I suppose its something thats deep in our psyche, long hair equals femininity, sexual power, a means of keeping young, its something thats so part of us. When I had it cut (mainly because my ex liked short hair) it was wonderfully liberating but then I had nothing to hide behind, so thats probably why I'm growing it long again.

But to answer your question I've never heard of anybody losing their hair in London.

As a student I had waist length hair and decided to have it cut short. As I was a student I was hard up and tried to sell it. I got out the yellow pages and called all the wig makers in Manchester. not one of them wanted it.

Although there was a crowd in the hairdressers when I had it done. Maybe I should have tried to sell tickets instead!

Thank you all for your support, my hair remained intact despite spending an entire day underground in London with brief forays above ground to the Tate Modern and Harrods.

I agree that long hair is an ultimate expression of femininity, Blue, I don't really have too many nightmares about it, although my ex had beautiful long hair and I used to have nightmares about him losing it somehow! I love my hair, but not to the point of obsession, I don't think, I just worry about it. I think it probably does steal my identity a bit though although it means I don't have to try so hard to be sexy, which is good and bad I guess.

Kitty.

I find short hair on a woman really sexy - I guess because I find necks really attractive (latent vampiric tendencies?)... Maybe it's a short hair fetishist, not a long hair fetishist lopping the hair off :D

A hair theft occurred at a club near here.

A woman with very long hair had it cut off (completely - shaved bald) as a charity stunt. The hair was supposed to be donated to make wigs for people with cancer, but at the end of the evening, it could not be found.

A TV crew was present and when their video footage was examined by the police, a man could be seen sneaking off with the hair. He was identified and later arrested, but the hair was not recovered.

A few years back, there was a local guy who was obsessed with a long-haired waitress. He called the restaurant, posing as the waitress' father and somehow convinced an employee to cut her ponytail off when her back was turned. I guess this was actually a crime, since the police were investigating, but I don't know if the man was ever found.

A pretty disturbing case - I assume it is some kind of trophy taking and given his history I wouldn't be suprised if he was a hairs breadth from beocming a full blown (serial?) killer.

Terrebonne Parish man accused in sex assaults, ponytail thefts

The Associated Press

THIBODAUX, La. -- A Terrebonne Parish man was arrested Wednesday for allegedly attacking five females in cemeteries, one a 10-year-old girl, molesting two and cutting off their ponytails, authorities said.

Michael J. Sterkins, 51, of Gray, was held at the Lafourche Parish jail after deputies arrested him at home as he tried to crawl through a window, according to a sheriff's office statement.

On March 7, Sterkins allegedly grabbed the 10-year-old in a Lockport cemetery, held her down and cut off her ponytail. In a similar attack on Sunday, he allegedly grabbed a woman in a Thibodaux cemetery but the victim was able to run off.

The alleged sexual assaults happened in Jefferson Parish cemeteries, and Sterkins cut off the ponytails of the two women, the statement said.

Investigators tied Sterkins to the crimes following a tip about a suspicious person.

Sterkins has a criminal history of 11 arrests on charges including forcible rape, obscenity, aggravated rape and embezzlement, the statement said. He was on probation for obscenity when he was arrested.

In Sterkins' home, investigators found the ponytail belonging to the Lockport victim, the statement said.

In Lafourche Parish, Sterkins was booked with aggravated battery and second-degree kidnapping. Bond was set at 0,000.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040714/APN/407140842

Kitty said:
I agree that long hair is an ultimate expression of femininity

What does that say about me?

That you're too manly to worry about being considered effeminate!

I've had long hair since second grade. Technically it isn't that great of a head of hair, a little on the thin side, split ends, getting little springy white ones around my face. Yet people admire it all the time simply because it's so long. People say to me: "I could never have long hair. It's so much trouble." These are people who go to the beauty parlor twice a month and spend all afternoon having it cut and styled (I wash it once or twice a week and let it air dry, brush it out morning and evening, braid it for strenous activity, and that's it). They also spend between 10 and 20 minutes every morning covering their faces with a layer of makeup which in no way is as attractive as their real faces. I sometimes feel like the only sensible woman in America; and I think that's what they're really admiring, that I'm confident enough not to fuss about my looks all the time.

Despite the attention my hair sometimes gets, I've never had any warnings about hair-cutters passed on to me. They seem to focus on crowded situations, subways and big cities where you're forced into intimate contact with large crowds of strangers. Since even big cities in Texas always have plenty of room to maneuver on the streets, it's possible that the claustrophobic conditions that encourage the spread of this UL simply don't exist here. I've only been to New York twice, so the story might exist there and I simply wasn't there long enough to run across it.

What do you think - is this UL a story about women being vulnerable in the large, impersonal world of the Big City? Is it a societal tool for encouraging us to stay home and fuss about our appearance? Is hair-cutting in the UL - as in Emperor's news story - a metaphoric rape?

The Yithian said:
What does that say about me?

Or me - I have hair down to my urmmmmmmmmm belt (thats head hair not body hair ;) ).

Everyone threatens to cut it all off (so far my threats have been taken seriously) or offer me money to do it or I get attacked by hair dressers in pubs or bald people use me to see what it would be like with hair or I get mistaken for a woman or I get insults shouted (usually, odly enough, from big white vans containing builder-types) and I notice the Undertaker's hair has grown back a bit so I'm sure that'll all start again.

I did get a terrible fright when I was dragged into #cough# Teasers in Amsterdam and my friends informed me there was a tall scantily clad young lady standing behind me with a pair of scissors. I assumed they were pulling my leg as I wasn't very comfortable in there (although some old guy was game enough to get on the bar and dance for a while which was funny enough to amke it worth it) but lo and behold there was a scantily clad young woman standing behind me waving a pair of scissors. It didn't help me to relax and I'm sure Frued might have soemthing to say about it ;)

Poor Emps! What exactly makes people think it's their business how you wear your hair?

I'm sure it's lovely. The construction workers are probably turned on by it (hmm...it's possible I'm not helping here) and this makes them uncomfortable, so they take it out on you. Something about working construction seems to make men want to objectify others and make them feel uncomfortable.

well Emps I saw a pic of you and your hair and I think its quite nice. As for myself long hair is just impractical. I have very thick heavy hair that takes forever to dry and as it tis oily must be washed daily. So wearing it any longer than shoulder length is a complete and total nuisance. But i don't go to the Salon twice a month either i usually have it cut up to my chin and just let it grow for a few months before returning. That way I am not bothered. Low maintenance hair all the way is what I say. I can't imagine people going around cutting others hair. But it's a strange world we live in. If some guy can run aroung licking womens feet why not cutting their hair?

Emperor said:
Or me - I have hair down to my urmmmmmmmmm belt (thats head hair not body hair ;) ).

mines waist length, thinning! :sob: but still waist length

ibid
Everyone threatens to cut it all off (so far my threats have been taken seriously).

ditto

Peni said:
Poor Emps! What exactly makes people think it's their business how you wear your hair?

Makes you wonder doesn't it. I've never felt the impulse to shout abuse at strangers in the street but manys the time I've seen a big white van approaching and some wag winding down the window vigourously and then shouts (in a redneck accent) "Don't they have barbers where you come from boy?". I did think it was funny the first time but you just want to shout "get some new material for godsake!!" but by then they are gone. Tiny children mistaking me for a woman (and a couple fo drunken eejits in pubs - the beard is clearly not a good enough clue), esp. as it causes great embarassment, and kids asking me if I'm the Undertaker are quite funny but just shouting "get your hair cut!!" is just pretty poor form.

I know on a couple of occasions I've spent the day pottering around with a friend and they have been quite suprised how much of it I get everyday. Its lucky I have a hide like a rhinos (although i do tend to wear hooded tops when I'm out and about) ;)

A woman I worked with years ago had her bunches cut off in an assault, she was walking home from a christmas party when some youths attacked her and her friend, roughed them up a bit then cut off her hair, I guess some sort of f*cked up power thing.

i have long, thick hair. i have taken to sleeping with it plaited - it gets less tangled and sweaty, and my boyfriend doesn't roll on it so often. he does occasionally grab the plaits in his sleep (he seems to find it amusing) but if they weren't there he'd only find something else annoying to do.

emperor, i'm warning you: there is a member of staff at my uni who has long hair and a beard. the course 3 computing class has been calling him Chewbacca behind his back for nearly a year now.

fluffle said:
emperor, i'm warning you: there is a member of staff at my uni who has long hair and a beard. the course 3 computing class has been calling him Chewbacca behind his back for nearly a year now.

Had that one already. Admittedly it was a bad hair day and I'd not shaved the sides in a while but picture the scene.

I get off the train and a couple of late twenties/early thirties scallies are in front of me (typical scals - short, built like whippets, trackies tucked into socks, etc.) and one turns around and says to the other "Eh Davey don't look round but Chewbaccas behind you!!". Obviously he had to and they both shot off.

[edit: And the worst thing when sleeping is finding your hair wrapped around your own neck chocking you :( ]

Emperor said:
[edit: And the worst thing when sleeping is finding your hair wrapped around your own neck chocking you :( ]

sorry to be off-topic, but actually it's when you are sleeping on your side and manage to move around such that you trap one of your nipples under your upper arm.

fluffle said:
sorry to be off-topic, but actually it's when you are sleeping on your side and manage to move around such that you trap one of your nipples under your upper arm.

:laughing: obviously more of a problem for the larger busted woman (I've just tried it a couldn't get myself trapped)!

Lyra [/i] [quote][i]Originally posted by fluffle said:

:laughing: obviously more of a problem for the larger busted woman (I've just tried it a couldn't get myself trapped)! [/quote]

You aren't wrong - I've spent half an hour trying and all I've done is put my shoulder out ;)

Or the more sociable version. When your partner gets up still half asleep from dozing curled up together, and pushes him/herself up by putting all their weight on their elbow, trapping your breast under it.

This seems like as good a place as any to tell about the MICHAEL LANDON HAIR STORY

In high school, his unexpected aptitude for the javelin helped boost his self confidence. He won local and regional championships, and later became the #1 high school javelin thrower in the U.S. The movie Samson and Delilah influenced him to model his appearance after the hero's shoulder-length hair and bulging biceps. He planned to go to the University of Southern California on a scholarship and onto the Olympics, then try acting. During his first month at USC, a group of fellow athletes tackled him and chopped his locks into a crew cut. Without the long hair he equated with his Samson-like strength, he tore his shoulder ligaments and could no longer throw the javelin.

Protection ordered after prisoners attack accused hair thief

A luggage courier who allegedly stole hair samples from women's bags has been placed in protective custody after prisoners attacked him on his way to court.
Rodney Lyle Peterson, 30, previously of Wallan, was set upon by other prisoners and splattered with blood after inmates became aware of his alleged crimes through the media, Peterson's defence counsel, Isaac Brott, told the Melbourne Magistrates Court yesterday. "He was set upon not by one or two, but by a multitude of prisoners," Mr Brott said. "There was a real danger."
Peterson, who sat calmly in the dock with red marks on his face and neck, was arrested on Friday after police had previously charged him with seven counts of stalking and seven counts of theft.
Police allege they found 78 bags and four envelopes, all containing human hair and each labelled with a female name, at his property in May. An out-of-sessions court hearing on Friday heard the hair samples included head hair and pubic hair.
In an application to suppress Peterson's details, Mr Brott told the court police were preparing more charges against his client. Detective Sergeant Doug Smith of the sex crime squad said police believed Peterson had been taking the hair from luggage being delivered from Melbourne Airport to both travellers and Victorians in the past 12 months. "The charges Mr Peterson faces relate to hair samples that have been taken from his van, which we're going to allege he's taken from bags that he should have been delivering to people," Detective Sergeant Smith said outside court.
He said police were examining about 100 samples of hair found in the subcontractor's van.
"We've got a lot of names of females and until we've spoken to them we're not going to know if there was anything strange or any unusual behaviour around the time they had their bags looked through," he said.
Magistrate Elizabeth Lambden ordered Peterson, who did not apply for bail, to be remanded in protective custody as soon as possible. "I am hopeful that the prison authorities will isolate Mr Peterson quickly to protect his safety," she said, ordering Peterson to appear again on August 28.

From today's Age: Source

I must be naive- I didn't realise so many women carried samples of their pubic hair in their luggage.

I must be naive- I didn't realise so many women carried samples of their pubic hair in their luggage.

No... and I wonder why he has proved so unpopular in jail - I can't imagine his crime is especially heinous in the scheme of things there...

Back