• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hair Thieves

Well, Australian prisons have a fairly low opinion of sex offenders. Even ones who are just creepy like this guy.

Then again, there may be some relation to his work in luggage handling. Since the Schapelle Corby case in Indonesia, there has been a lot of attention on baggage handlers and what they do to people's luggage. Maybe it was out of sympathy for Schapelle, that they beat him up.

I suppose he must have got the hair from combs, brushes, underwear, and the like. Did he even know that some of it was pubic hair? How many women regularly comb that?

A classic hair-clipper. You would think he'd just have drifted into hairdressing and made life easier for himself.

"Pubic perm, missus? I'll do it for free. I'll pay you. I'll build you your own tower and I can climb up your hair to the little hole at the top."

"No thanks. I've got one XXXX there already!"

What do you mean it's old and terrible? It was on the radio this week!

:p

I suppose he must have got the hair from combs, brushes, underwear, and the like. Did he even know that some of it was pubic hair? How many women regularly comb that?
My point exactly.

A classic hair-clipper. You would think he'd just have drifted into hairdressing and made life easier for himself.
Indeed, a quick snip would have got him handfuls, rather than plucking stray strands from hairbrushes.

Anome_ said:

I guess it sometimes stays on dirty (or used) underwear, but I can't fathom how hard it would be to find it.

i think the problem is he allegedly kept the hair samples in a book with details of who it was taken from, was delivering luggage to the women's homes and has been questioned by police about the murder of a prostitute. More than a bit creepy

Long-haired women face new threat of hair thieves in Myanmar

The Associated Press
Published: May 13, 2007

YANGON, Myanmar: Women in Myanmar not only have to watch out for pickpockets when they're commuting, shopping or walking down the street, but also hair thieves, a weekly journal reported Sunday.

Long-haired women in crowded areas have fallen victim to surreptitious hair snippers who steal their hair to sell, the Burmese-language 24/7 news journal reported.

"My long hair was cut while I was on my way back from the office. I found out only when I got back home," an unidentified female bus commuter was quoted as saying.

The woman said her friend's tresses were cut while she was walking down the street and she only noticed when some remaining strands fell. Another woman's hair was cut while she was shopping at a roadside store, the journal said.

Many women in Myanmar have waist- or knee-length hair which they wear in a ponytail, making it easy for thieves to snip off the hair and sell it as extensions.

Women are also approached by hair traders who ask to buy their long hair, the journal quoted the bus commuter as saying.

The report said the price of hair has increased as demand for hair as an export or raw material rises. A viss (1.6 kilograms; 3.5 pounds) of hair is worth between 400,000 kyats (US$320; €235) and 500,000 kyats (US$400; €290), it said.

www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/13/asia ... hieves.php

And Steme Moore's excellent article:

www.forteantimes.com/articles/177_hairsnippers.shtml

Having watched "Perfume" the other day, it's quite obvious why the hair's been stolen.

Some nut job's making the ultimate perfume!

Wonder if he has the big vat too? Oooooohhhh!

mooks

It's not that easy to cut off hair, though - you can snip bits off quickly enough but to get through a ponytail requires a good few seconds' work, and you really need to hold the bottom and pull it taut to cut through it. It's hard to see how someone wouldn't notice.

(I cut my own hair so I know what it takes!)

I had my long hair cut in my sleep and had to have it all chopped to ear length, I really miss it and do believe that all my strength has indeed gone!

Hair thieves?

I hope the Police are combing the area for clues.

I'll get me coat.The one made of human hair. :oops:

-

What do you think - is this UL a story about women being vulnerable in the large, impersonal world of the Big City? Is it a societal tool for encouraging us to stay home and fuss about our appearance? Is hair-cutting in the UL - as in Emperor's news story - a metaphoric rape?

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the poem by Alexander Pope, "The Rape of the Lock" (early 18th century).
It is described as 'Humourous' or 'Satirical', but I was obviously too dull to appreciate that when I had to study the poem for English O-level, back in the early 1960s!

The poem is here:- http://poetry.eserver.org/rape-of-the-lock.html

and a wiki analysis here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_the_Lock

if you fancy checking it out with your 21st century attitudes.

Finally, a question - is this poem still taught in schools, and if so to what age of pupils?

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the poem by Alexander Pope, "The Rape of the Lock" (early 18th century).
It is described as 'Humourous' or 'Satirical', but I was obviously too dull to appreciate that when I had to study the poem for English O-level, back in the early 1960s!

The poem is here:- http://poetry.eserver.org/rape-of-the-lock.html

and a wiki analysis here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_the_Lock

if you fancy checking it out with your 21st century attitudes.

Finally, a question - is this poem still taught in schools, and if so to what age of pupils?

It was taught as a part of the 18th Century literature part of an English Literature degree course I took back in the early nineties - and I suspect that it still would be.

As for schools, to the best of my knowledge it does not feature in any GCSE curriculum (Although essays by Jonathan Swift do).

There was a scare here in Hastings in the mid 1980s, when I and a bunch of my long haired friends were told by our mums that a gang was going around cutting off people's hair. Funnily enough it never made the local press, and never happened to anyone I know. I think maybe our mums just wanted to scare us into cutting our hair ourselves as a preventative measure. They needn't have bothered. We're all spamheads now.

The Phantom Barbers are back! This time in India. As usual police are baffled and others closeby to the incidents saw nothing/no one unusual.

The 'mysterious' hair thieves striking fear in India

More than 50 women in the northern Indian states of Haryana and Rajasthan have reported that mysterious persons have been chopping off their hair while they were unconscious. The police are struggling to solve the mystery, leaving women paranoid and worried, reports the BBC's Vikas Pandey.

"There was a strong flash of light that left me unconscious. An hour later, I found that my hair had also been chopped off," says Sunita Devi, a 53-year-old housewife from the Bhimgarh Kheri area of Gurgaon district in Haryana.

The "attack" on Friday has left her traumatised.

"I am unable to sleep or concentrate on anything. I had read about such incidents taking place in Rajasthan, but never thought it would happen to me," she adds.

Reports of "phantom barbers" first emerged in early July from Rajasthan, but a spate of similar incidents are being reported from Haryana and even the capital, Delhi.

Ms Devi lives in a close-knit community of traders and farmers.

Some of her neighbours are taking it in turns to stay with her until she is able to come out of the shock.

She says her attacker was an elderly man "dressed in bright-coloured clothes". ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40749640?ocid=socialflow_twitter

I read that earlier today, and found it to be very Fortean!
Mysterious hair thefts - what do they want it for?
Then there's the flash of light.
Also, invisible beings touching victims on the shoulder.
And the cat-thing.

I suspect there's a bit of embroidering going on, or even some mass-hysteria - but there are several reports with similar elements. Something weird at play.

Of course, some of these people may have just sold their hair and don't wish to reveal just how poor they are...

I read a while back that India is a hotbed of hair sales for hair extensions, the local women sell their crowning glories for a decent sum so they can be put on the heads of salon visitors in the West. Maybe not even the West, either.

Mum's horror after 'weird' stranger snips off her hair in 'random' bus stop attack.

A second report of a similar incident involving another woman is also under investigation, GMP have confirmed.

A mum-of-four has told how she was approached by a stranger who cut off some of her hair as she waited for a bus in Manchester city centre after a night out. Police have confirmed an investigation is underway and revealed the worrying report was being treated as assault.

The Manchester Evening News can reveal a second report of a similar incident in Manchester, said to involve a separate woman, is also under investigation. Greater Manchester Police said they currently have no evidence to suggest the two reported cases are linked, but confirmed enquiries were ongoing.

Emma Clark, 32, who coincidentally works as a hairdresser, said the incident had left her traumatised and she won't travel on a bus again in Greater Manchester. She said she wanted to speak out to warn other women - and shared images with the M.E.N. showing long strands of her hair
(c) MEN. '22

I see that the 2016 Manchester case(s), linked above, was/were being treated by GMP as two unrelated incidents. Almost exactly six years ago. :thought:

I read that earlier today, and found it to be very Fortean!
Mysterious hair thefts - what do they want it for?
Then there's the flash of light.
Also, invisible beings touching victims on the shoulder.
And the cat-thing.

I suspect there's a bit of embroidering going on, or even some mass-hysteria - but there are several reports with similar elements. Something weird at play.

Of course, some of these people may have just sold their hair and don't wish to reveal just how poor they are...
I’ve said it before but if I was going to do a major crime, I’d nick into the barber’s first and grab a binliner of hair clippings. I’d spread these at the scene of my nefarious deed. Go for a swim. Run home naked pausing only to buy a broadsheet newspaper to cover my dignity and leave it to CSI Mytown to go through the business of the DNA puzzle.

I had my long hair cut in my sleep and had to have it all chopped to ear length, I really miss it and do believe that all my strength has indeed gone!
I've grown my hair down to my waist many times, it is still very long. My hairdresser wanted to trim it yesterday when I had it foil-frosted, but I said No!
The one time I cut it all off short, I felt lost, like I couldn't get my bearings, and couldn't wait to grow it all back.

I've grown my hair down to my waist many times, it is still very long. My hairdresser wanted to trim it yesterday when I had it foil-frosted, but I said No!
The one time I cut it all off short, I felt lost, like I couldn't get my bearings, and couldn't wait to grow it all back.
In the 80's someone I knew had waist length hair. She eventually found it to be too time consuming to deal with and a hair stylist offered £2000 for her hair so she had it cut short. She found it somewhat liberating and the cash came in handy. Did it again 2 or 3 years later.

Thats what I want to hear about long hair.

I have always had short hair, and over lockdown it grew, so I let it do so, having long hair is an interesting experience.

(Much to the doubt and suspicion of my relatives)

But one day I will tire of it.

The wife went from bum length to bald in one go at Tram Sunday in Fleetwood
the hair was sent off to a charity that uses it to make wigs for people that loose
their hair due to cancer.

But I know what Samson meant when he said he lost his strength when his hair was cut off, because I lost mine.

In the 80's someone I knew had waist length hair. She eventually found it to be too time consuming to deal with and a hair stylist offered £2000 for her hair so she had it cut short. She found it somewhat liberating and the cash came in handy. Did it again 2 or 3 years later.
I used to have hair down to my bum, 20 years ago. If only somebody had offered me cash for it when I chopped it off!

Back