• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hair: Weirdness & Oddities

A

Anonymous

Now... I was a bit torn as to put this in the thread about 'hairiness' or here, but as this concerns the hair on someone's head rather than thier nether regions I think I'll put it here...

This is something that spontaneously popped out of my memory banks during my drive to work this morning - though who know's why !

I was at Camber Sands (east Sussex) with my Mum about six years ago and we saw a young woman walking across the carpark in front of us.. She was otherwise normal in every way, and was smartly dressed in Levi's & shirt (she also had a small child with her)..

....Except for the fact that her hair was all fused together like plastic, this was definately part of her hair as occaisional brown ringlets of hair popped up out of the fused section.

It was like a beetle's carapace and was separated in to two sections like a parting down the centre of her head and was the same colour as the strands of hair poking out..

I stopped looking as soon as I realised this was verging on 'gawping' (luckily I don't think she saw me looking !), when at that point two old ladies walking in the opposite direction to us remarked ' what do these young people do to thier hair these days? That looks just like plastic !'

Do you think I saw an example of the famed 'fused hair syndrome' sometimes mentioned in FT ??

There are all sorts of wierd hairstyles around today! But as a Fortean, I'm sure you eliminated all the possibilities (two giant dreadlocks, hats, etc).

HAARP, I can't remember reading about the fused hair syndrome, please describe!

Carole

sounds like greasy dreadlock's to me
eugh..................thats just dirty why would you let it get like that?

cas,:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm still amazed at how you sometimes see people with dreadlocks that make it look like they have thick ropes instead of hair. Strangely always blond dreadlocks, making them look more ropelike.

Did anyone see that programme 'Britain's Fattest Men' the other day? On it was a rather insane gutlord with a black, plastic-looking barnet that sounds somewhat similar to what HAARP's describing... though I suspect the application of masking tape was used in this particular case.

And yeah, I've never heard of 'fused hair syndrome'... I'm intrigued. Any particular issues of FT which mention it?

I read an article once about a girl growing dreadlocks from scratch (!) It sounded disgusting, she didn't wash her hair for ages . . . oh, I feel sick thinking about it.

Mind you, I still think the Afro has got to be the worst hairstyle ever (especially on whiite people!)

By the way, Sprout, my son has just come in and looked at the computer screen and admired your avatar (what on earth is the brat doing up at this late hour? - my son, I mean, not you, Sprout!:) )

Carole

I had a theory that special evil programmes were being beamed
into my home in a bizarre attempt to convince me I need more
channels of the stuff.

Not certain if I am reassured by the fact that Evilsprout also saw
those fat men. Or that hairpiece. Anyway, we will never convince the
sceptics. But we know they exist. :D

i saw the britians fattest man and i think you were right it did look like masking tape or duct tape no wonder he wouldnt say anything about it

btw why did he get so annoyed he did'nt weigh 50 stone i'd have been happy thinking i weighed 50 stone and finding out i weighed (a not inconsiderable) 31 stone

carole said:
There are all sorts of wierd hairstyles around today! But as a Fortean, I'm sure you eliminated all the possibilities (two giant dreadlocks, hats, etc).

HAARP, I can't remember reading about the fused hair syndrome, please describe!

Carole

Yes it's true... I've mixed with a great number of 'crusty' types before and after seeing this woman, and in my experience this was completely unique ! The funny thing about this woman was that other than her hair she looked like a completely clean & conventional sort of person and the growth (not sure what to call it really?) was like a shell moulded to her head (no hair texture at all except for the few strands mentioned), and was very shiny almost like patent leather and was the colour of coffee/chocolate.

It's a shame actually that when they wrote the article about 'fused hair sydrome' in FT they didn't have any photos, as I would have liked something to make a comparison with !

Apparently it used to happen much more frequently in the 19th century than it does now (and usually happened to women), and was the result of repetitive hair brushing causing a chemical change which affected the structure of the hair and caused it to 'fuse' or 'lock' ...

It was said at the time to be caused by the victim's hysterical womenly nature ..... which I suppose is what most Victorians said about vast majority of things they couldn't explain !!

I'll try and dig out the article from my boxes of old FT if I can !

Haarp :)

did anyone see on the t.v prog 'ripleys believe it or not' the man with the mohawk made of nails embedded in his head?!

This'll be hair felting - I wrote a piece about it for "medical bag" five or six years back, originally inspired by a piece in a book called "How to Tell a Proton from a Crouton" Basically it is a disastrous matting of the hair, way more serious than dreads, in which the scales on the surface of the hair strands start to stick up, then interlock, turning the hair solid. usually the only solution is to cut it off, but someone did tease it apart with combs and olive oil over many months. It is known as Plica. I also turned up a weird medieval version, where strange exhudations from the body solidify the hair, this is coupled with fever, red oozings and odd sweats and is potentially fatal, if memory serves me well this is plica neuropathica. I think I dug that up from Gould and Pyle's "Anomalies and Curiosities of medicine"

I see, so we got an explanation.

But I saw something strange the other day n the subway. A black girl sitting in front of me was wearing what looked like a pony tail wig. It was smooth black hair, but at about the top of the head there was an edge to the hair where they looked like they were fused together. Like you do to a rope. And in front there was some small curly hairs I presume were her own. It looked kind of like a wig that somebody had pulled backwards, exposing the normal hair. Except it didn't seem different apart from the fusing place. I thought perhaps it was a wig, where there had been some bangs fused onto that had then fallen off.

either that or they were dreads that needed fixing and seeing to at the roots

No hair wash

I went for a year and a bit without washing my hair while a student... It smells and itches like hell for a few weeks... used to steam it though. after the "hell" period the whole thing kinda self cleans. Looked good, smelt fine, saved on shampoo and conitioner... one more pint down at the college bar.

Id do it again but id have to take a break from work during the smelly stage.

On subject of strange plastic hair Tips from a old punk...

We used to put various types of glue on,
I knew someone who claimed he used epoxy resin
Egg White does a very fine job for that plastic effect.
Soap can give you that lift.

And thats without all the waxes, oils,gells and spray available. Let me tell you weird things can happen when you apply to much.

*resurrects thread*

I was down at camber sands with a few friends this year, and noticed this effect on one of their hair after we all came out of the sea...

It was basically down to the fact that he had dyed his hair which had damaged it somewhat, causing it to look extremely strange/fused when he came out of the salty/sandy water and walked across the beach!

Think I've just murdered the thread. Whoops :nooo:

after the "hell" period the whole thing kinda self cleans. Looked good, smelt fine, saved on shampoo and conitioner... one more pint down at the college bar.

Are you sure you don't just get used to the stench after a few weeks of having it on your head?

HowardMarks said:
Are you sure you don't just get used to the stench after a few weeks of having it on your head?

Contrary to what people believe, after not being washed for some time, hair seems to clean itself. The theory being that washing strips oil from the hair, effectively making it drier. But, after a while of not being abused by shampoos, the oils return and the hair seems to maintain itself. There must be some useful natural process for this, because it doesn't matt together if it's groomed regularly by brushing. Also, people similarly tend to think that dreadlocks are dirty. They can be, but not if they're created properly and with care. You can see the difference with alot of Rastafarians (who know what they doing) and surfer/hippy types (who tend not to know what they're doing). I know that both these things work well from the experience of various friends who have dreadlocks and have stuck with the precess of growing them properly. It also suits people who have very curly hair more than others - people with straight or even wavy hair tend to make rather poor dreadlocks, usually the type that look a bit manky, because they're forcing the hair strands to lock together. With very curly hair, the strands interlock much better.

As for hair matting, IIRC it may be some sort of genetic problem where the strands of each hair are not smooth but more scale-like, and thus tend to hook and tangle together.

arrest-940x940.jpg

https://dailygazette.com/2020/12/08/schenectady-pair-accused-of-stealing-construction-tools/

Nope - two separate persons; partners in crime - Jimmy Salvo and Ms. Medusa.
She may have lied about her age. 44 - yeah... some city miles there!

Yer never too old to be a Punk!

Vid at link.

Wirral man, 85, commits to Mohican haircut for 20 years

An 85-year-old man who has had a Mohican hairstyle for more than 20 years says people should not worry about what they look like. Alan Jones, from Wirral, shaved his hair for a charity challenge but then, when he retired in around 2000, committed to the style full-time.
Every three weeks he goes to his barber to get different intricate styles of varying lengths and patterns.

The keen musician and composer said he had seen people with shaved heads and thought: "I can do better than that".

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-merseyside-57510351

This boy beseeched his mom to let him get his hair cut like ... Montgomery Burns (of The Simpsons).

MrBurnsHair.jpeg
This Mom Let Her ‘Simpsons’-Fan Son Get A Mr. Burns Haircut And The Video Went Viral

A mom on TikTok shared a short video of the Mr. Burns-style haircut her son requested — and that she agreed to.

Which is to say, her kid now looks like the decrepit nuclear-power baron from “The Simpsons,” bald pate and all.

“Am I a bad mum for letting my son cut his hair like Mr. Burns?” Johanna Clark asks in the video’s caption. Her son, meanwhile, presses his fingers together in Burns’s familiar pose and intones, “Smithers,” with Burns’ shaky voice. ...

Clark posted the video in July, and since then it’s racked up 7.4 million views and almost 680,000 likes. There are thousands of comments, too, most of them assuring Clark that no, she’s not a bad mom. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.ksby.com/mom-lets-son-get-mr-burns-haircut

Back