• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hampshire Serpent

A

Anonymous

A few years back I was a rep calling on pubs. One pub I called on (I believe it was called the "Horse and Jockey" in Curdridge, nr. Southampton) had a photo displayed. It allegedly showed a "sea serpent" captured in a nearby river (!) sometime early in the 20th century. The photo looked genuine and the creature seemed to be around 15 - 20ft in length. The pub owner could shed no light on it but it's intruiged me ever since.

Can anyone shed any light on it?

I know this is a really old thread, but I just wanted to add in that my dad is from the mountains of New Brunswick, and he used to tell me of a photo that a friend of his dad's had when he was a little boy which showed the friend holding a huge "sea serpent" that he had caught in a river in the mountains.

My dad was born in 1939, and the picture was taken sometime around then because it was already a few years old when my dad saw it as a child.

He planned to show it to me the next time we went to New Brunswick, but when we went he discovered that his dad's friend was long dead and nobody knew what had happened to the photo, but all of them remembered it. Strangely the people around there seemed to think it was odd that he had caught such a weird creature, but not overly. It didn't seem to intrigue them the way it did me.

So, obviosuly I have not seen the photo my dad spoke of, but he said it looked almost like what an anaconda looks like, it was close to 20 feet long, and about as thick as a fire hydrant. I have begun to suspect it might have been a extremely large lamper eel, whose size has been blown up in my dad's memory over the years, but its still strange either way, a lamper eel wouldn't do too well in the rivers around there that big, so what was it?

-Fitz

Back