• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Happy Mount Park, Morecambe

I live in Morecambe. As far as I'm aware there would have been no settlement in that location. Poulton Le Sands I think would have been the nearest settlement, an old fishing village and was mentioned in the Domesday Book according to Wiki. . The park is in the Bare area, opposite the promenade but I don't think that there would have been much there before 1800.

With the coming of the Eden Project, Morecambe may hopefully be transformed, because the view from the prom (if you look towards the sea!) are amongst the finest you can imagine.

As an aside, we have stayed over at the Winter Gardens twice. Having previously researched the papers, there are no records of any deaths in that building. So what the historian on MH was looking at when talking about it I'd love to know. The only recorded death i found involved an African boxer who later died in hospital after a bout in the building.

Last edited:
I live in Morecambe. As far as I'm aware there would have been no settlement in that location. Poulton Le Sands I think would have been the nearest settlement, an old fishing village and was mentioned in the Domesday Book according to Wiki. . The park is in the Bare area, opposite the promenade but I don't think that there would have been much there before 1800.

With the coming of the Eden Project, Morecambe may hopefully be transformed, because the view from the prom (if you look towards the sea!) are amongst the finest you can imagine.

Do you still have the 'undesirables' clogging up the beach ? The ones with dogs on a bit of string and cans of lager stuck in their pockets.

As a child I often went to Morcambe. I went again about 15 year ago. Much has changed.

Not that I have noticed. We amazingly get a lot of day trippers in the summer. For the Eric Morecambe statue and the market apparently, and who knows, a Tyson Fury statue in the future!

The West End used to be full of B & B's but is currently full of undesirables in certain areas.

Yes, it's a pity.

I liked it there (nearest sea side town to home). We used to walk along the beach to Heysham.
Very pleasent then.

This photo is from December last year, taken from the Stone Jetty. You may remember some of the skyline:
05_ Winter sun1 internet.jpg

Yes, it looks familiar.
I must take a trip over there one day whilst I still can.

Back