• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Happy Mount Park, Morecambe

Cariad

Fresh Blood
Good evening all
New poster here, wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience of the above place? Struggling to find any relevant history or information online, I had a very unsettling experience there last year and believe that whatever ‘it’ was is very, very old.
I’m from a long line of not quite psychic but certainly sensitive welsh women and my particular tendency is a response to buildings, houses, locations etc. Happy Mount Park scared the hell out of me, but I cannot figure out why!
Any help gratefully received

... I had a very unsettling experience there last year and believe that whatever ‘it’ was is very, very old. ...

How far back in time have you been digging for clues? Happy Mount Park only dates back to the 1920s.

Ooh thank you for quick responses!
So it’s a childrens outdoor play area which has some rides, an outdoor splash park, crazy golf type stuff. The outside was fine, quite nice and green but there is a cafe with an adjoining soft play area which was horrendous. My hackles raised the minute we walked inside, no apparent reason however and it’s clearly very popular but every inch of my skin was crawling and I was desperate to leave. The kids were obviously gagging to go in the soft play, and I was counting down the minutes till we could leave.
I didn’t see or hear anything but had a real sense of something ancient and very negative. I tried to look up the history but found nothing, asked locally, nothing has come up. It’s quite a popular place, especially in summer. Morecambe in general is very run down and grim but I’m from Blackpool so tired seaside towns are what I’m used to! I believe there is quite a lot of roman history in this area and some notorious haunted locations. I don’t know, maybe it was just me being overly dramatic but it was a totally visceral reaction

I'm not being facetious, honest, but could it have been something you ate or drank? I know that sounds like an old cliché, but if you walked into a different, indoors atmosphere and it reacted with your gut, maybe it was something actually internal? Or maybe a social anxiety you didn't know you had, just a one-off? If no one has reported any supernatural goings-on, it may have been yourself that was reacting, triggered by something in the room.

We all have our off days, maybe this was an off few minutes? Bear in mind I'm not a professional, so just postulating!

Haha no worries, I’m perfectly open to rational explanations! I have had experiences similar before, which I imagine I will document here at some point but this was interesting with the immediate response and the sensation of something ancient. However my children didn’t seem to notice anything (although my older two weren’t there and my daughter has had some moments which were indicative of a sensitive nature) and as you say there is nothing to suggest anything supernatural...so who knows?

Good evening all
New poster here, wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience of the above place? Struggling to find any relevant history or information online, I had a very unsettling experience there last year and believe that whatever ‘it’ was is very, very old.
I’m from a long line of not quite psychic but certainly sensitive welsh women and my particular tendency is a response to buildings, houses, locations etc. Happy Mount Park scared the hell out of me, but I cannot figure out why!
Any help gratefully received
I don't know how long Marine Road is where your park is situated but there's a ghost of a seamstress at another place on the same road according to this link. Happy Mount Park is Marine Road east, Winter Garden is Marine Road central.

https://www.visitlancashire.com/whats-on/morecambe-winter-garden-ghost-hunt-p975800

Last edited:
...there is a cafe with an adjoining soft play area which was horrendous. My hackles raised the minute we walked inside, no apparent reason however and it’s clearly very popular...

I've just done some mapping research on your locus. I'd love to report that the cafe is sited where an old lunatic asylum burned down, or on an old Indian burial ground, but it seems to have been just fields as far back as 1891 when the OS 6" to the mile sheet was surveyed.

Here's the exact location of the cafe outlined in red on a map comprising the aforesaid 6" sheet and a Bing satellite map overlay:

Morecambe-park-Fortean-16-2-20-outlined.jpg

maximus otter

there is a cafe with an adjoining soft play area which was horrendous. My hackles raised the minute we walked inside, no apparent reason however and it’s clearly very popular but every inch of my skin was crawling and I was desperate to leave. The kids were obviously gagging to go in the soft play, and I was counting down the minutes till we could leave.

Anyone who has ever read 'Why Mummy Drinks" will realise that all soft play areas feel like this - germ-infested urine-soaked dark corners where ghastly ankle biters lurk...

Oh my god, it’s Mr Blobby! Utterly terrifying!
The Winter Gardens ghost is quite well known I think, even appeared on MH, but this place is a bit further along the road. Very disappointed about the lack of Indian burial grounds but am still pretty sure this was something very old and very antagonistic.

Burial ground from before christianity?

It's starting to look like Cariad may have experienced the ghost of Mr Blobby, must have been truely horrible. :)
TBH, even though Noel still lives, maybe it was his lurking aura. He's scared the crap outta me since 1976. No clue why.

Mr Blobby theme park, I always imagine as being like an abandoned theme park at Chernobyl or something - even at its height. Something forlorn and godforsaken.

Oh my god, it’s Mr Blobby! Utterly terrifying!
The Winter Gardens ghost is quite well known I think, even appeared on MH, but this place is a bit further along the road. Very disappointed about the lack of Indian burial grounds but am still pretty sure this was something very old and very antagonistic.
I guess those indefinable 'spirit of place' things are, quite literally, everywhere, by their very nature. Reminds me very much of a story I've told here about the back bit of a park in Scarborough - where I have a million happy childhood memories, but returned in the early 1990s, with my kids, and it was just... abandoned looking. Something deeply disturbing (and I saw a ghost!) But even before I saw something there, the whole thing just really upsetting and yet, as I say, a place I'd known my whole life, previously, and loved, before it was overgrown. (Am sure it's been done up again, since). But that juxtaposition of children's boating ponds, and playground areas, and all those happy places I'd once been with my parents and even was the backdrop to countless family photos - when it was dank and overgrown in the early 1990s and we went there... my husband had never been there before, so didn't have the picture of its former glories in his head - and he felt very 'doomy', too. As you describe - couldn't wait to get out. In fact I 'brushed past' someone who was not, it turned out, entirely there, on the way out! Back up at street level it was like another world.

Re. the sensitivity of children... One of my kids would be well tuned in to places, when he was very small and would blurt out the most disturbing things about places... As an adult, (25), he is about as sensitive as a brick. Less so. I sometimes wonder if he isn't like that as a defence mechanism.

But yes what makes that super creepy is the contrast between the 'childhood playing area' space and the underlying, pulsatingly horrible atmosphere. That makes it ten times worse.

TBH, even though Noel still lives, maybe it was his lurking aura. He's scared the crap outta me since 1976. No clue why.

Mr Blobby theme park, I always imagine as being like an abandoned theme park at Chernobyl or something - even at its height. Something forlorn and godforsaken.
I know what you mean about Noel ( tidy beard ? ) Edmonds, I could never understand why he was so popular, Chris Morris did a spoof news report about him once ( Brass Eye I think ) in which he had gone mad, cutting someones head off and getting on the roof with a bazooka, which I found totally believable !

I guess those indefinable 'spirit of place' things are, quite literally, everywhere, by their very nature. Reminds me very much of a story I've told here about the back bit of a park in Scarborough - where I have a million happy childhood memories, but returned in the early 1990s, with my kids, and it was just... abandoned looking. Something deeply disturbing (and I saw a ghost!) But even before I saw something there, the whole thing just really upsetting and yet, as I say, a place I'd known my whole life, previously, and loved, before it was overgrown. (Am sure it's been done up again, since). But that juxtaposition of children's boating ponds, and playground areas, and all those happy places I'd once been with my parents and even was the backdrop to countless family photos - when it was dank and overgrown in the early 1990s and we went there... my husband had never been there before, so didn't have the picture of its former glories in his head - and he felt very 'doomy', too. As you describe - couldn't wait to get out. In fact I 'brushed past' someone who was not, it turned out, entirely there, on the way out! Back up at street level it was like another world.

Re. the sensitivity of children... One of my kids would be well tuned in to places, when he was very small and would blurt out the most disturbing things about places... As an adult, (25), he is about as sensitive as a brick. Less so. I sometimes wonder if he isn't like that as a defence mechanism.

But yes what makes that super creepy is the contrast between the 'childhood playing area' space and the underlying, pulsatingly horrible atmosphere. That makes it ten times worse.
Where was that posted please, I would like to have a look at it.

Where was that posted please, I would like to have a look at it.
I just ran a search and apparently, I cover it here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/your-ihtm-timeline.63137/#post-1715854

But am sure I have posted it in more depth before that, at some point. A day or so later, I went to the museum and they had a 19thC escaped prisoner notice on display. Description of the prisoner's outfit was same as what I'd just seen. I don't know for certain but think it may have been right by the site of the lock-up. It was on a flight of steps coming up out of the park and the man I saw was absolutely filthy, just caked in muck like you never see people. I was bracing myself as he passed us on the fairly narrow steps because I was certain he'd stink. He didn't. Husband never saw a thing and the man brushed right past us - unavoidable in that narrow gap. Husband now tells everyone he saw it but I distinctly recall at the time, I asked him why the man hadn't stank and he asked me "What man?"

He's heard this so many times he is now convinced he saw it, too. Which is another phenomenon we've discussed elsewhere. My two oldest kids were with us - one only a baby and in a baby carrier backpack style thing. So small they would not remember this.

I know what you mean about Noel ( tidy beard ? ) Edmonds, I could never understand why he was so popular, Chris Morris did a spoof news report about him once ( Brass Eye I think ) in which he had gone mad, cutting someones head off and getting on the roof with a bazooka, which I found totally believable !
People who are so world-class level 'nice'... always suspicious.

He had a hand in organising helicopter flights for underprivileged kids, one crashed and some died, he took this hard and went into a bit of a decline after that.

He had a hand in organising helicopter flights for underprivileged kids, one crashed and some died, he took this hard and went into a bit of a decline after that.
I never new that, what a horrible thing to happen, I remember someone dying on one of his shows after bungy jumping without the bungy about 30 years ago ( was local to me ). Maybe cosmic ordering charges a high price.

Like Tuco, I didn't know this. The one factoid I dimly remember from the Edmonds/helicopter interface was that, for all the fanfare he used to make about being a playboy pilot, he used to ferry his aircraft around to various events on the back of a lorry, to save on fuel costs. Now, I am entirely willing to believe that flying helicopters costs a small fortune. But it seemed such a calculating tactic concealed behind this devil-may-care image. It's like buying a rare vintage port, and then watering it down so it lasts longer. It's missing the whole damn point of the exercise. I've never really trusted him since.

He had a autopilot fail on a solo flight the aircraft went into a dive and he only regained
control 150 ft from the ground, he never flew a helicopter after that,
there are 2 kinds of helicopter pilot, those that have had a accident and those that are going to.

...there are 2 kinds of helicopter pilot, those that have had a accident and those that are going to.

l remember hearing a famous after-dinner speaker mention the difficulty of flying a helicopter (he was an ex-RAF fixed-wing pilot). To my recollection, he said something like:

Take the two sticks and wiggle them about randomly until the aircraft does what you wanted it to do. Then remember where the sticks were, because you might want to do that again.”

maximus otter

He had a autopilot fail on a solo flight the aircraft went into a dive and he only regained
control 150 ft from the ground, he never flew a helicopter after that,
there are 2 kinds of helicopter pilot, those that have had a accident and those that are going to.
Yes, helicopters are definitely more prone to some kind of failure or accident than other types of aircraft (or so it seems).
It's a wonder they are still used so much.

Back