Happy News Stories

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Nice to see denuclearization continues apace - aw, dammit.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Motorised shed hits 100mph to break speed record at Pendine Sands

A souped-up motorised shed has broken its own land speed record on a Welsh beach as it hit 100mph.

The Fastest Shed smashed its previous 80mph (129km/h) record for the fastest shed at a land speed event at Pendine Sands in Carmarthenshire on Saturday.

Owner Kevin Nicks said it was "marvellous" to hit 101mph (160 km/h) in what he said was the only road legal motorised shed in the world.

"It couldn't have gone better, I'm so happy," said the 53-year-old gardener.

Mr Nicks, from Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire, spent more than £13,000 creating his bespoke shed on wheels, which now boasts a turbo-charged 400 brake horsepower engine that is more powerful than many sports cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-44054814

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

escargot

Beloved of Ra

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Not sure where else to put this, but here goes.

It was all a set-up apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44307611

'Murdered' Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko is alive

Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko, widely reported to have been assassinated in Kiev on Tuesday, is alive and well.

Mr Babchenko, a high-profile critic of the Kremlin, appeared at a press conference on Ukrainian TV on Wednesday.

The head of Ukraine's security services, Vasyl Hrytsak, told reporters the "murder" had been staged to expose Russian agents.

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Former teenage cancer patient track down nurse who cared for her
Addenbrooke's 'silly' cancer nurse Debbie found after appeal
  • 2 hours ago

Image copyrightLIZ BROWN
Image captionLiz Brown's nurse Debbie (right), has been found after an appeal on social media
A woman has tracked down the nurse who did "silly things" to make her cancer treatment as a teenager "less painful", after an appeal on social media.

Liz Brown spent four months in Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, in 1989 with a spinal tumour.

Her nurse, Debbie, "realised I was struggling" and gave her "silly jobs" which helped her cope, Ms Brown said.

On Wednesday night Debbie got in touch and the pair, who were "both in tears", plan to meet up soon.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-44560469

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Lovely story here of Bristol Uni students crowdfunding some money for their cheerful cleaner to send him and his wife on holiday to Jamaica.

A video of Herman being surprised with the money was later shared online and shows him breaking down in tears.

The gift was accompanied by a note addressed from "Bristol Students", which thanked Herman for his "positive energy" over the years.

"You have brightened many of our days and we want you to know that we love and appreciate you."

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Lovely story here of Bristol Uni students crowdfunding some money for their cheerful cleaner to send him and his wife on holiday to Jamaica.
What a nice bloke, it's always a pleasure to meet someone like Herman. When I worked at a college there was a lecturer like that. Most of the academic staff were a bunch of stuck-up, pompous idiots but this guy got on with everyone (much to the dismay of his fellow academics who didn't approve of his friendliness towards the lower orders) and really brightened everyone's day - a really happy, funny guy.

He retired early due to heart trouble and after a major op, his doctor told him that from now on he'd have to take it easy. He promptly booked a three month camping holiday in the Australian outback. As he said at the time "I don't mind dropping dead of a heart attack but I'll be buggered if I'm going to die of boredom!"

That was 25 years ago and he's still going strong.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
More nice guys 6 or so years ago being ace .. NSFW for a bit of swearing, but anyway .. :)

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
All the Thai football team & coach are now out. A fantastic rescue effort in extremely hazardous circumstances by all accounts.

They're under quarantine for a while until passed as fit.

Quite why the coach was allowed or thought it a good idea to trek 2.5 miles into an extremely dangerous cave system with young boys..

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Because it's a popular attraction, several of the boys had already gone in and the signs only said don't enter after 1st July.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Quite why the coach was allowed or thought it a good idea to trek 2.5 miles into an extremely dangerous cave system with young boys . . .
"OK lads, we'll never be rescued, best loosen our trousers . . . "

Reminds me of the episode of Father Ted on the aeroplane. :evillaugh:

hunck

Justified & Ancient

You are a bad man James Whitehead. "now let's all huddle together to stave off the cold"

Seriously, can you imagine 18 days in the dark, sitting on rocks, having to sleep on rocks, waiting to be rescued? I'm assuming they still had torches but they'd have to limit use to preserve battery life. They were found after 10 days so maybe they had more light after that.

There was a BBC prog recently where a team went exploring a cave system & spent several days below ground. Nowhere near 18 though. They found their circadian rhythm screwed up by the lack of day & night. This was a team of professionals though with all the food & gear they needed & exploration to be done during 'daytime'. And a way out.

Trapped in a subterranean cave system with rising water is my idea of hell.

GNC

King-Sized Canary

There's also a Father Ted episode with Richard Wilson not believing it to consider.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Another ambulance parked across another driveway in an emergency. Another note left on the windscreen. But this time.. :)
An ambulance crew that was forced to block a driveway while on a call out returned to find a £10 note on their vehicle's windscreen.

Gary Turley and his colleague had been attending to a patient in Faversham.

Along with the cash, the anonymous donor had also left a note which read: "You're blocking our drive… No worries. Buy a coffee when you can."

Mr Turley said: "It was just really uplifting and restored our faith in humanity."
Edit, forgot to add the link.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-45418196

hunck

Justified & Ancient
What are the chances?

woman pranks husband about lotto win – then wins £1m

A woman who pranked her husband claiming she had won £250,000 on the lottery scooped £1m three weeks later.
“I didn’t believe her at all because we like to wind each other up,” her husband said.

The 27-year-old said it was only when she sent him a screenshot of the message saying she had won that he realised it was true, and was “stunned”.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
...The 27-year-old said it was only when she sent him a screenshot of the message saying she had won that he realised it was true, and was “stunned”....

From her new home in the Bahamas, along with the divorce papers and a 'bet you wish you were here' note.

INT21.