Happy News Stories

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
WOW! Can this be true?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9343203/terminal-blood-cancer-patient-new-hope/

Alleged cure for some cancers. I say alleged because of the source.
I have no more information than you, but from the layman's decription in the article this is one of the methods that medical researchers have thought plausible.

So fingers crossed.

In general, I resist the tendency to personify diseases and milk metaphors for the battle against them, but cancer is a bastard.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Botched Spanish statue that went viral is lovingly unrestored

This statue of St George featured a while ago - can't remember in which thread. Please move if the earlier ref can be found.

Somebody 'restored' it - middle pic, & it became a laughing stock.
It's now been 'unrestored' & given a more sympathetic cleaning/paint job.

“It’s been a long process because we had to do preliminary tests and take samples to see how we could go about cleaning it and to determine which would be the best materials and methods,” he said. “Today, the statue has the same colours it had before last year’s extremely unfortunate intervention. But we know that we’ve lost part of the original paint along the way.”

Martínez Álava said that although he was a historian and not a restorer, he thought things had turned out really well. “The bits of paint that were lost have been filled in and from a distance it all looks the same,” he said. “But when you get up close, you can see very clear what’s original and what’s not.”

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
WOW! Can this be true?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9343203/terminal-blood-cancer-patient-new-hope/

Alleged cure for some cancers. I say alleged because of the source.

This would be wonderful. Especially because it's based around the patient's own blood cells - no need for donors or what not.

As for whether it's true, (agree with you about the source!) a quick internet search has found this: https://bloodwise.org.uk/community/what-is-car-t-therapy - disappointingly, it seems to be one of those 'dependent on where you live' things. Hopefully that changes in future.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Good news.

A Vietnamese teenager who has been missing for a week has been found safe and well, according to police.

Linh Thi Dieu Le, 15, who speaks no English, went missing from her tour group in York on 6 August.

North Yorkshire Police would not confirm where she was found.

Ho Quang Ngoc, 25, has been charged with taking a child and facilitating a breach of immigration laws. He was remanded in custody at York Magistrates' Court on Monday.

North Yorkshire Police said the teenager was found on Monday evening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-49328494

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Could go a few places but I'll drop it here.

Astronomer Margaret Burbidge is 100

Apart from her groundbreaking work on the origin of elements, Burbidge is interested in galaxies, extremely distant and luminous cosmic objects that harbour supermassive black holes called quasars, and in the theory of a steady-state universe, an alternative to the Big Bang theory. Her life and work has influenced generations of astronomers and left an impressive legacy of discoveries. She achieved all this at a time when women often found their path to a career in science barred.
There's some solid stuff by her on youtube around Halton Arp and discordant redshift, sadly a subject area that now seems to have been hijacked by all sorts of fundies and fruit loops.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
This is a rarity - property developers don't win the day.

Londoners win battle with council to save homes from demolition

A determined coalition of residents in east London, including a 94-year-old woman who is one of the original residents, has won its battle to stop the council demolishing their homes.

Residents of the two blocks in Whitechapel, which stand on prime real estate land, lauded the U-turn by the local mayor, John Biggs, at a meeting on Tuesday night as a victory against social cleansing in the capital.

Residents planned their fightback to save the blocks from the Treves House living room of Sophie Spielman, who turns 95 in a couple of weeks, and joked that her home was the campaign’s HQ.

Tower Hamlets council had wanted to demolish the two blocks, Treves House and Lister House, which contain 51 flats, for several years. Residents were dismayed when Biggs admitted at a public meeting two years ago that the building of private flats on the land was under consideration, and that discussions had been going on for a year behind closed doors.

The justification for the demolition plans was derived from an expert report which said a lot of costly structural work would be required to make the blocks habitable, costing in the region of £6.2m, so destroying the blocks and rebuilding of the prime site was the preferred option.

At the meeting two years ago, Biggs agreed to set up a working group. A new expert report was commissioned and completed in June this year. It found just £1.8m of works were required to refurbish the blocks, rather than the £6.2m originally cited. “It is agreed the building is generally structurally sound,” the new report stated, with the main requirements being new roofs and windows.

“The plans to demolish the blocks were social cleansing,” said resident Syed Ali. “Had they gone ahead we would not have been able to afford to live in our own neighbourhood.

I doubt giving an unborn baby blood transfusions is common practice.
The early-intervention is what makes this newsworthy. The need for total transfusions immediately after birth goes back nearly a century.

My mother survived because it it, way back in 1929, before the term rhesus negative was in use! :)