• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Harlequin & Lamellar Ichthyosis (Rare Skin-Shedding Disorders)

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A fantastic triumph through adversity and a potential superhero? OK its the press overstating things but.......

Man Survives Rare Skin-Shedding Disease

Harlequin Ichthyosis Usually Fatal At Birth

POSTED: 11:21 am PST November 15, 2004
UPDATED: 10:41 am PST November 16, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- A young San Diego man is truly a medical miracle. He was born with a rare skin disorder that is usually fatal at birth.

The birth of a child is a time of celebration and anticipation. Anna-Marie Gonzalez wanted what every parent desires -- a healthy child.

"I was just hoping that he had a little nose," Gonzalez said.

But when she first laid eyes on her newborn son, Ryan, she was shocked.

"When I first saw Ryan, I just started crying. It just looked so bad," Gonzalez said.

Ryan was born with a rare genetic skin disorder called harlequin ichthyosis where the skin sheds seven to 10 times faster than normal. Ryan's skin is as hard as a coat of armor.

"All over him were these big thick scales with cracks. There was a little bit of hair and there cracks and fissure all through out," Gonzalez said.

Dr. Brian Saunders, a Kaiser Permanente neo-natologist, said, "When I saw Ryan I knew what he had and I was always taught what he had was lethal."

Saunders cared for Ryan during the first critical hours of his life.

"Because of the scales around the face, his mouth was open like a fish," Saunders said.

Ryan's tight skin was crushing his lungs.

While doctors and nurses fought to keep Ryan breathing, Saunders searched worldwide to find a way to treat him.

"We found a baby in England, who at the time was 2-years-old and had been treated with a vitamin A derivative," Saunders said.

The drug Accutane had never been used on a baby, but Ryan's mom didn't care.

"I said, 'I want you to do whatever you can do," Gonzalez said.

The big thick scales that were all over the skin became smaller and thinner. The drug kept his newly shed skin from hardening again -- but it was just the start. Ryan faced an uphill fight.

Growing up was difficult.

"Every time you walk out the door, you have to brace yourself for people's reactions," Gonzalez told 10News.

But those reactions didn't hold Ryan back -- 18 years later and he has grown into a young man.

Ryan's dermatologist, Dr. Susan Bioko, said, "Ryan is the only one I know his age that has not only survived, but how many people do you know that are triathletes?"

Ryan is training for his second triathlon. He swims three days a week in the pool and every Saturday in the ocean.

He invited 10News anchor Carol Lebeau to workout with him at La Jolla Cove.

Even though the salt water stings Ryan's tender skin, his stroke is strong and his determination is nothing short of amazing. After swimming a mile in the ocean, he's still smiling.

Afterward, lotion was slathered on Ryan -- a ritual he does seven times a day to keep his skin from hardening.

A few weeks later, Ryan competed in his second challenged-athletes triathlon.

Everything Ryan accomplishes is a miracle, considering how he started out and how far he has come.

For Ryan, managing his condition is a full-time job. Because his skin is constantly shedding, he needs to consume 7,500 calories a day. He tube feeds himself pure protein every night while he sleeps.

----------------
Copyright 2004 by 10News.com.

10news.com/health/3919722/detail.html
Link is dead.

There is more informaiton on the condition here but you really should be warned that there are some very distressing pictures of babies suffering from this condition - if you think you may be upset by this kind of thing in anyway then don't click on the link:

http://asylumeclectica.com/malady/archives/harlequin.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Bally hell, dont know what else to say to that.... :eek:

[Emp edit: Split off from the teratology thread:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481

/!\ Very upsetting and distressing material within.

The relevant part of the preceeding post is:

dilligaf said:
the "zombie" babies mentioned much earlier in the thread, from the description, sound much like harlequin ichthyosis. if so, i don't really care to look. :shock: the skin sheds at an accelerated rate, much faster than the body can create new layers, so it becomes much like leather. the eyes may only be blood red globes, the lips swollen, cracked and "fishlike". they rarely ever survive birth, and if they do manage that they're still not likely to survive much longer. i've read of only two cases of survivors, both now teenagers i believe. for those strong enough to view, a google image search will provide more disturbing images than a clive barker novel on lsd.

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 262#543262 ]

Zombie Baby

The "zombie baby" might be a collodion fetus.

Interestingly, after the abnormal skin is shed, about 10% of these babies will have normal skin. The rest have a condition called lamellar ichthyosis, which is a troublesome skin condition and requires topical medication for the rest of the person's life.

http://www.scalyskin.org/content.cfm?Co ... olumnID=14

Alien-Child Video

Guys, I've found some information on the net about a video of an alien child/baby....

I DO NOT HAVE THIS VIDEO This thread is just for discussion on it.

Putfile.com search for "alien" turns up a result like this. "s - Alien child - Very Weird". There was 1900 views of this thing, which is far higher than anything else under alien. most videos only have 100 views or so. If you goto the link for download you get this:

www.putfile.com/vidremoved.jpg

[Emp edit: For the sake of discussion I'll add a link to the video here:

/!\ WARNING: Its potentially upsetting stuff:
www.webwasteland.com/index.php?id=C0_6_1

I've also merged this thread with parts of the teratology thread to make a new harlequin baby thread.]

Google searches turn me to a page on a forum where a member says "Now the video is quite interesting, showing an alleged alien baby being fed milk." Another page supposedly has a link to the video but they're all dead links from para-normal.com

Eyes were like rectangular or something. I've heard its disgusting and you'll regret seeing it. I'm not sure. Some say its a deformed human baby. "Hooves, sucker mouth, red eyes?"< says a guy that watched it. People say you can find it on kazaa or imesh with the search "alien baby" under movies/videos. Comments anyone?

Emps, I finally found a link but its really frickin disgusting and morphed. U should take this thread down nobody needs to see that crap. I had thought this was a grey alien kid or something, but this is nasty.

Human_84 said:
Emps, I finally found a link but its really frickin disgusting and morphed. U should take this thread down nobody needs to see that crap. I had thought this was a grey alien kid or something, but this is nasty.

I really have no idea what this is all about (apart form the fact that I m directly addressed in the above quote ;) ). There are no links and a big "Media Removed" sign in the middle of your post.

:confused:

If it is something that is likely to come up again it is well worth leavng this thread in place but I don't have much to go on here.

OK I've been brought up to speed and watched the video - it is a harlequin baby as discussed here:

forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 262#543262
Link is obsolete, and it's now unnecessary. Discussion about this condition is now consolidated in this single thread.

and it is certainly a topic suitable for discussion here. I'd suggest I put the link to the video into your post and merge this with the teratology thread.

My heart is absolutely broken now.

*note to self: listen to the mods when they warn you*

Leaferne said:
My heart is absolutely broken now.

*note to self: listen to the mods when they warn you*

Indeed ;)

Then again it may have made you really really want to see it - its human nature after all ;)

----------------
I have now split the relevant material off from the teratology thread and merged this one with it to make a new one. I've dropped in the link to the video and added more warnings in all over the place.

Sisters shed their skin every DAY in condition that causes it to grow six times faster than normal
By Lucy Laing
Last updated at 9:04 AM on 6th February 2012

These are the brave sisters whose skin grows SIX times faster than normal.
Stacey and Emma Picken shed their skin every day after being born with a rare condition.
They are the only sisters in the UK known to be born with rare condition called lamellar ichthyosis, which affects only one in 600,000 people.
They have to be smothered in cream daily to make their condition more bearable and the girls can’t go outside in the sun as it could kill them.

Their father Steven, 53, who lives with wife Sarah, 39, in County Durham, said: ‘We are so proud of them - and they have a very close bond as they know what each other is going through.
‘The girls just get on with their lives as best they can. They have to have two baths a day to try and soften their skin and they have to wash their hair too every day as the condition affects their scalps too.’

Emma, now 18, was the first to be born with the condition. As soon as she was born doctors whisked her away and then broke the devastating news to the couple that their daughter had the rare skin condition.
Mr Picken said: ‘Her tiny body was covered in hard scaly skin, with a band of tight skin around her chest so tight that she could hardly breathe.
The doctors said they would have to cut through it. It was a tough band of skin squeezing her little chest. Luckily when she was eight days old the band snapped on its own.
‘We had to keep her tiny body moisturised constantly to try and soften her scaly skin. We were desperate to know if she would grow out of it as she grew older. But doctors said she wouldn’t.’

Sufferers of lamellar ichthyosis are known as snake children, because their hard scaly skin is just like a snake.
The couple were devastated when their second daughter Stacey was born with the condition too.

Mr Picken said: ‘We didn’t think for one moment think that it could possibly happen again. We thought lightening couldn’t possibly strike twice.
‘But within five minutes of Stacey, now 16, being born her skin started to change before our eyes. It was turning leathery within seconds. It was devastating - it just broke our hearts.’

Both the sisters must constantly moisturise their skin, which grows six times faster than normal skin.
And they have to keep out of the sun as if they start to sweat and overheat it could kill them.

The couple have since had four more children, Ellie, 11, Megan, seven, Stevie, five, and Samuel, three. The couple carry a defective gene each which causes the condition, but none of their remaining children have the condition.

Mr Picken said: ‘When Sarah was pregnant with Ellie we were very nervous throughout all the pregnancy, and when Ellie was born we breathed a sigh of relief when we saw that her skin was normal.

‘It was hard when Emma and Stacey started school, as they have been bullied because of their skin. When Emma first started school no one would hold her hand when all the children held hands in a circle. They have been singled out as different right from the start.
‘It is heartbreaking as we know how lovely our girls are underneath. They have friends at school, but it hasn’t been easy for them and I’m so proud of them as they have both held their heads high and done well at school.

‘The girls both stay indoors when it is very hot. We can’t go on holiday abroad as it would be too dangerous for them. We do go away in the UK, and whilst other people want lots of hot sunshine on their holiday, we pray for rain.
‘Stacey dries out faster than Emma does as she is fair skinned, whereas Emma is dark skinned. They can’t do sports day at school because that would be dangerous for them too, to run around in the sun.

‘When they were little we used to spray the girls with a water gun to keep them cool at night in the summer. ‘ Emma is currently trying to set up a camp in the UK for children who look different.
She added: ‘That is my goal, to set up somewhere where people, not just with our skin condition, but for anyone who looks different, to come to a place where they won’t be judged.’

Mr Picken added: ‘We had been very worried that the girls wouldn’t be able to live normal lives, but they just get on with it. They have both got big personalities and we are proud of them both.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z1lbUkXD9Q

They look well on it, I think. The earlier pics show how bad it can get.

Warning the video may be upsetting!!!

Life with rare genetic skin disorder lamellar ichthyosis

Nisha Lobo suffers from a rare genetic skin disorder. When she was a week old her parents abandoned her at an orphanage in Bengaluru in the southern Indian state of Karnataka.
No-one wanted to adopt a baby with such special needs, but a doctor working there decided to welcome Nisha into her family.
To hear Nisha’s full story, listen to the BBC World Service podcast, Kalki presents My Indian life.

Here are some summary info-bits about this condition.
Harlequin-type ichthyosis

Harlequin-type ichthyosis is a genetic disorder that results in thickened skin over nearly the entire body at birth.The skin forms large, diamond-shaped plates that are separated by deep cracks.These affect the shape of the eyelids, nose, mouth, and ears and limit movement of the arms and legs. Restricted movement of the chest can lead to breathing difficulties. These plates fall off over several weeks. Other complications can include premature birth, infection, problems with body temperature, and dehydration. The condition is the most severe form of ichthyosis, a group of genetic disorders characterised by scaly skin.

In the past, the disorder was nearly always fatal, whether due to dehydration, infection (sepsis), restricted breathing due to the plating, or other related causes. The most common cause of death was systemic infection, and sufferers rarely survived for more than a few days. However, improved neonatal intensive care and early treatment with oral retinoids, such as the drug Isotretinoin, may improve survival. Early oral retinoid therapy has been shown to soften scales and encourage desquamation. After as little as two weeks of daily oral isotretinoin, fissures in the skin can heal, and plate-like scales can nearly resolve. Improvement in the eclabium and ectropion can also be seen in a matter of weeks.

Children who survive the neonatal period usually evolve to a less severe phenotype, resembling a severe congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma. Patients continue to suffer from temperature disregulation and may have heat and cold intolerance.

The oldest known survivor is Nusrit "Nelly" Shaheen, who was born in 1984 and is in relatively good health as of March 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin-type_ichthyosis

Back