• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Harry Potter Vs. The Religious Right

Jack: I live in a decent-sized college town--about 90,000 with the students--and ust down the road to the south about 7 miles is a place called Easley that's nothing but bottom land from the river...flat, flat, flat dirt, then boom! nice rolling hillside, straight from The Hobbit. The funny thing is, right in the middle of the flat is the largest tree in the State, standing alone, with a trunk that has a circumference like most rooms. It seems very odd, being so old and solitary. Then, right down the road and around a corner is a town called Huntsdale, which you've apparently been through. Nothing but shacks and trailers with cardboard tacked up to keep the wind out, old Trans Ams and Z-28s up on cinderblocks, no living soul in sight...not so much as a dog in the streets. The strange thing is seeing a new car parked in a driveway with a college sticker in the back window; I have to wonder what this person is doing there. So eerie; yet, just over a couple hills from one of the best journalism schools on the planet, just a stonð3pA4`
$€‡;￾'8 7;￾ðF+0? õÀí)Ð￾ à•$

Originally posted by Webslinger
From what I have been able to gather from the media, the claims that Harry Potter leads kids into the darkest, nastiest occult practices are largely American. These are the same voices that claim role-playing leads to satanism.

It's pretty loud here is Australia too. Several schools have banned HP completely on the grounds that it leads children to satanism blah blah blah. My mate is a primary teacher in a state school who wanted to get the class reading - pretty much anything that would encourage kids to read - and tried to get HP intot he classroom. The parents committee immediately put the kaibosh on the plan because not only was the book inherently just occult propaganda, but the teacher herself (who actually finds what she calls 'panne paganism' rather funny) wore a lot of black and taught the children ancient myths instead of disney fairytales.
There was actually quite a few letters in my local paper when a local HIGH SCHOOL banned HP, the same school which last year had banned all roleplaying from campus when a boy who was known to play AD&D tried suicide.

The only thing more likely to get these kids interested in demonic matters than banning HP and roleplaying would be an advertising campaign that says "Black Magic gets rid of spots, makes you more attractive to the opposite sex and is the key to money. meeting your fav film/pop star and fame"

Don't the parents and schools board realise they're sayin "Demonism works, kids"

'Course it could all be a foul plot to get the film to flop because it's not got an American hero in it :eek:

Did I dream it, or did Spielberg refuse to direct the film because J K Rowling wouldn't let him use an American child actor for Harry?

I know I'm probably setting myself up here for a bit of a bashing, but I would think a magic story like this would somehow be better set in England anyway.

I'm not paranoid but...

Helen said:
'Course it could all be a foul plot to get the film to flop because it's not got an American hero in it :eek:

Did I dream it, or did Spielberg refuse to direct the film because J K Rowling wouldn't let him use an American child actor for Harry?
Hmm, sounds like an Icke. Speilberg wants to bowdlerise HP. Rowling refuses to let it happen. The film gets made anyway and the NWO mobilises rabid Christian opinion to oppose the film and the books. Why is this? What is in the story that should attract such opposition?

Well it tell a tale about a secret Elite at war with itself for the control of the normal world. What is Rowling trying to tell us? What does she know? Notice that the war against "Terrorism" was reaching it's peak when the film was released and now, suddenly, the Taliban collapse. Is Spielberg a Lizard? What Is Being Held Back From Us? It's all there, you just have to read between the lines

i think i'd better lie down now :madeyes:

ps. I originaly tried to post this 11 hours ago when the board went down. I'm not paranoid ..... really :spinning

harry potter storms US

Well they religious zealots are obviously not doing their job properly!

Seems like yet another case of religious backlash having completely the opposite effect than they seem to be after - MArilyn Manson, Eminem, The Last Temptation all became more infamous due to the extra press from demonstrations aginst them. I wonder if in fact they are all in league with the devil, including the church!

I really dont think Harry Potter or role Playing will get kids to practice Magic(k) or to take on Pagan values.

With me it was the fact that I was TOLD there was a God and was TOLD the Bible was true and was punished when I questioned it. The older I have become (nearly 33) the more I distrust large organised religion. Christianity in particular due to their lack of respect for other religions and their habit of ramming God down other peoples throats.

Let the kids see Harry Potter if they want to, let it be their CHOICE.

Chris
Pagan and Proud

I have read the HP series and have these thoughts:

1. I'm a librarian. Banned books are for facist countries. You want to read it, I'll find it for you.

2. I'm also a conservative Christiam. HP uses "mechanical magic"...mix this with this and this happens. Nothing occult here. Nothing but good, clean fun.

3. Some people need a cause in order to feel important. HP is just the latest cause. Soon it will be something else. IE, what ever happened to "equal rights amendment will force people to use uni-sex bathrooms"? Be patient, the idiots have short attention spans and worse memories!

4. Can't wait to see the movie, tho' I suspect I'll be disappointed that it isn't as good as I imagined.

5. Wish she would write the next installment, the kids here are pestering me to death about it! :D

the danger from Roleplaying Games...

is not the supposed links to satanism and witchcraft. The true danger is that they often lead to the waring of trench coats, ill fitting black jeans, Alchemy jewellery and ponytails.

Oh, and fingerless black leather gloves.

I Say! Yaroo!!

I Couldn't wait to see what all the fuss was about, so I read it as soon as I could get my hands's on a copy of the first book©

Is it just me? Imagine my surprise when I discovered that, conjured up for me was a vision of a huge, fat , glistening, owl shaped oaf, in round glasses and too tight striped trousers©

Frank Richard's Billy Bunter and please don't mention Enid Blyton's naughtiest school girl! I couldn't believe how old fashioned and conventional Rowling's books are©

The real problem is that kids don't read enough books anymore© Has anybody read Ursula K© LeGuin's `Wizard of Earthsea'?

Oh yeah, I've read all four so far© But I'm not addicted©

mikemystery said:
is not the supposed links to satanism and witchcraft. The true danger is that they often lead to the waring of trench coats, ill fitting black jeans, Alchemy jewellery and ponytails.

Oh, and fingerless black leather gloves.

oh too true, too true (far too true!). But so often the appearance of a thing dictates its virtues, and in so much 'pop - culture' of the past, this is also how the baddies (the henchmen, the satanist wannabes, the unibombers) are depicted. The most dangerous roleplayers are the grown up old roleplayers who wear suits and ties but still have miniatures and issues of dork tower next to their camarilla card in their briefcases. You never can tell if they have sold their souls to satan for the yuppy lifestyle or just for another level of magic missile!:D

I feel another 'OH FER CRYING OUT LOUD!!!'moment coming on, and a few choice words on the desirability of the asteroid with our name on it wiping us out at a stroke (OK, the latter part is for dramatic effect, but sometimes....)

Harry Potter books, although not to everyone's taste have some pretty good 'moral' lessons in them; Loyality, the value of friendship, sacrifice for others etc.

It seems to me that these people like to exercise social control where they can, and usually at the expense of innocent pleasure. Although I'm not sure which is worse, the control freaks who come up with this shite 'for your own good', or the sheep that blindly lap up aforementioned excrement, and follow these creatures.

I'll stop now before I get eugenic, I'm sure most on here could fill out the rest of my sentiment...

8¬)

Well, its similar to the reason why Frank Baum's Wizard of OZ was banned for years by certain states. As to 'WHY?', I refer you to the Voltaire remark in my sig

8¬)

Golly.

I'm always pleased to know that the Vatican thinks the Holy Roman Empire still exists, and that the Vatican is relevant to anything.

So the Vatican enters the 21st century!!! How about some more relevant announcements than unnecessary opinions about a kids book.............popes, religion, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, don't get me started:mad:

Apparently it makes no difference anyway, since most of the midwest 'Christians' against potter are also vehemently anti-Catholic.

Most of them aren't really proper christians, either. Just inbred loonies who latched onto a passing religion like ticks on a sheep.

False promises of a utopia? Sounds familiar...
The 'christian message' is, and always was; 'give us all your money'.

It's about time...

I've been waiting _so_ long for their permission!

Phhttttpt!:blah:

Charles

Stupidity rears it's ugly head again
Gwinnett Mom: 'Ban Harry Potter'
Reported By: Suzanne Marques

A Gwinnett County parent is waging a war against Harry Potter. She says the popular book series should be pulled from libraries in the state’s largest school district.

Laura Mallory says the Potter books take kids to dark places. “The books are indoctrinating children into witchcraft,” Mallory said. “It’s not mere fantasy.” Mallory has three children attending J.C. Magill Elementary School in Loganville, and is asking the school board to banish the books. “I’m asking that they be removed from the school -- elementary school in particular -- because the young children are not as able to discern as older children,” said Mallory.

Another parent, Amy Pryor, says the Harry Potter series got her daughter excited about reading. “I just think it’s another way for people to censor a literary form of art,” Pryor said. “People want to say magic is so bad. Magic is just a way of imagination; a different way of somebody expressing themselves. If we continue to allow people to take books off of school library shelves, then we're saying it's okay to take books off the shelves of our public libraries.”

Review panels with the Gwinnett School District have ruled the books should stay in the system’s libraries, but Mallory is meeting with the school district next Thursday to appeal the decision.

The most dangerous roleplayers are the grown up old roleplayers who wear suits and ties but still have miniatures and issues of dork tower next to their camarilla card in their briefcases. You never can tell if they have sold their souls to satan for the yuppy lifestyle or just for another level of magic missile!

I sold my soul for that Games Workshop Realm of Chaos army and the Sportscar of my Anime hero....

Oh, and a pair of black leather fingerless gloves.....

Chaos!! sniff Grimgor's nostrils flared as he whiffed the unmistakable stench. ;)

<smiles at everyone.>

Come now, did you ever think I was GOOD??

Another report:

Gwinnett Mom Battles Harry Potter

Reported By: Suzanne Marques
Web Editor: Michael King
Last Modified: 4/21/2006 6:36:26 AM

Harry Potter has a new foe -- a Gwinnett County parent who wants the popular boy wizard books banned from Gwinnett County school libraries.

On Thursday afternoon, parents and students spoke at a hearing that will ultimately decide whether the books will stay or go.

People who love the books say they are happy that kids are reading the books as much as they are. They say that the books are ultimately about good versus evil. But opponents say that the books with their magic wands and spells are all about evil.

“I’m a true example of how Harry Potter books can open your life to witchcraft,” said Jordan Susch.

Susch says she read the first Harry Potter novel when she was in the fourth grade. Two years later, she says, she and her friends were practicing witchcraft.

“We wanted to know if spells, potions and curses worked. By the seventh grade, I was so depressed, I set a date to kill myself,” Susch said.

Susch has joined Laura Mallory’s fight to get the novels removed from the Gwinnett County Schools’ shelves.

“I want to protect my kids, children and others from evil,” Mallory said. “Not fill their minds with it.”

Other students spoke in favor of the books, saying that it is a fictional book, and that they don’t confuse fiction with reality.

Fifth grader Jessica Grimes says the Harry Potter books are the very reason she enjoys reading.

“The Harry Potter books have helped me and other kids with our accelerated reading goals. So, really, the books help us rather than hurt us in school,” said Grimes.

Throughout the district, the Harry Potter books are the most popular books in the system. Some fear that if the books are taken away, younger kids could lose interest in reading altogether.

“Did you ever see kids get excited over the opening of a book before Harry Potter?” asked seventh grader Baillie Hill.

Thursday’s session was just a hearing. The hearing officer will make a recommendation within five days to the school board. The board has another ten days to determine whether the book will remain in the school system’s libraries or not.

www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=78859

Back