• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Conners_76 said:
I believe it's Tim Spall as Wormtail and David Thewlis as Lupin, so not a million miles away.
I reckon they're all pretty good. Thewlis is a better choice than mine. I think, they're all about the right age.

This could shape up to be the best school based, British film series, since the early St Trinians films! :p

Yeah but if they were 30 odd when Lily and James died, ie when Harry was a baby, they would be in their 40s now, so that's right, surely?
Timothy Spall will make a good Wormtail, I can imagine him as a rat. :p

yep, I did imagine wormtail as looking very much like spall when i read the book, he seams to do that snivleing thing quite well too (see aufweadsain(sp) pet).
oldman as well is good casting for black.

I imagined lupine as a sort of older vertion of dave gorman (inc sideburns) though.

Spooky angel said:
Yeah but if they were 30 odd when Lily and James died, ie when Harry was a baby, they would be in their 40s now, so that's right, surely?
Timothy Spall will make a good Wormtail, I can imagine him as a rat. :p

Doh! Surely I'm not so dumb I read the while of the book without that occuring to me? Congratulations to me for making the daftest Board comment in some while.

I thought Richard E. Grant would make a good Sirius Black. Mind you, it can't be long before he's roped in for some character or another.

You must come full circle to find the truth.

*ahem* Sorry, X Files moment there. ;)

That doesn't count because it's a cartoon, Richard E Grant would have been a great HP character, and he prob will be soon. :)

(Sidenote: I rather liked Paul McGann as Dr Who, actually. Sorry OT I know.)

before we get on topic again, spooky, so did I!

Carole

Spooky angel said:
(Sidenote: I rather liked Paul McGann as Dr Who, actually. Sorry OT I know.)
He was fine, it was the script and the unwise return of 'The Master' that did for that particuliar incarnation. :(

more ot stuff

Helen said:
I thought Richard E. Grant would make a good Sirius Black. Mind you, it can't be long before he's roped in for some character or another.

he would have made the ideal sherlock holmes too, look at the padet ilisrtration on the signature of shearlucks posts and tell me different...

bloody bbc ballsed that one up when they cast him as stapleton rather than holmes in their recent remake of hound of the baskervilles rather than holmes...
obviously the people casting that one had watched the older films but were too thick to actully read the book to find out what the caractors actully looked like:hmph:

Absolutely agree with you there, Flashy. Total miscasting, I thought.

I want to hear more along the lines of "this character is based on so and so" eg Gilderoy Lockheart=Tony Blair.

I just finished reading the latest Harry Potter book.

I enjoyed it - but it really is much too long. With lots of rather clumsy and boring sections. IMO. The hat poem/ speech was a particular early low point. And the ending was weak.

She needs a better editor IMO. They need to wait longer after she finishes a book ... so that she can spend longer on cutting it down to a good sharp edit with the pith removed.

To be honest - I don't think that the new book is nearly as tight as the others. Which is a pity.

alb said:
To be honest - I don't think that the new book is nearly as tight as the others. Which is a pity.
I thought that too -until I re-read all of them in sequence, and found it actually works better that way.

OMG Zygon - now you've given me an excuse to read all of Harry Potter again when I'm supposed to be working.

Pupil appeals over Harry Potter "witchcraft"

Mon 1 November, 2004 13:36

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African schoolboy has appealed to education authorities after refusing to answer an exam question on Harry Potter because he believes the best-selling children's' books promote witchcraft.

Eighteen-year-old John Smit did not answer a comprehension question on a review of one of J.K. Rowling's books on the boy wizard, worth 30 percent of his English exam.

"He wouldn't answer it because it supports witchcraft, and we're against witchcraft ... the Bible is against witchcraft," Smit's mother, who did not wish to give her first name, told Reuters on Monday.

The family has written to provincial director of examinations to complain. Authorities have yet to respond.

"I hope they will give him his average mark. This shouldn't happen again," she said.

African Christian Democratic Party MP Cheryllyn Dudley said South Africa needed a clear policy to avoid other pupils facing moral dilemmas during exams.

"I have read (Harry Potter books), I have researched them thoroughly, and my personal opinion is that they are witchcraft manuals," Dudley told Reuters.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=6675963

I wonder about people so fanatical in their beliefs that they think reading about witchcraft somehow is support of the practice. I get that their beliefs make them oppose witchcraft, I just can't see how reading a Harry Potter book would violate that belief. Can someone explain this to me?

What a stuck-up little bugger. I bet he has no friends now. Or before that, in fact. Crazee world...

PS. Dudley eh... I wonder if he has a chip on his shoulder for some reason :D

Fallen Angel said:
Can someone explain this to me?

Well, I'll try, but don't expect it to make any sense! :confused:

I reckon, it's a case of they consider it to be some kind of temptation. Personally, my argument would be something like this :

"Are you seriously telling me that you are so pathetic, so weak willed, and suffering such a paucity of faith that a mere fiction book will somehow endanger your immortal soul? Do you truly believe that blind faith is better than the ability to logically support your beliefs? Is it somehow more acceptable to blithely believe everything you are told, rather than rationalise your belief so that you satisfy both your spiritual and your logical side? That somehow, in your faith, you find the one place where both can live in harmony? Is your faith so fragile a thing? Or are you just talking out of your arse?"

Although, in all likelihood, all I'd probably say would be :

"How stupid are you????" :eek!!!!:

:D

Today on IMDB:

Church Leaders Condemn BBC for 'Potter' Telecast on Xmas

Several British religious leaders have condemned the BBC for its decision to air Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or, as it is known in the U.K., "...the Philosopher's Stone") on Christmas Day. The London Daily Sun quoted a Church of England spokesman as saying, "The BBC has picked the least suitable time to show it. Harry Potter portrays witchcraft and black magic in a fictional way, but it is capitalizing on the supernatural." Andrew Carey, son of the former Archbishop of Canterbury, pointed out that the Potter stories contain material "that we associate with the occult -- and we see the occult as something dangerous." The movie attracted 7.9 million viewers, far fewer than the 12.3 million viewers who tuned in to the long-running soap EastEnders and the 11.3 million who watched ITV's soap Coronation Street on Christmas Day.

http://us.imdb.com/news/sb/#1

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
... and we see the occult as something dangerous.

So are cars, would these lovely people want to ban Top Gear too?

Eeeesh

Fairy tale nonesens

Does that mean we cant have fairly tales either and is Santa a fairy tale?

Well, the report does come from the esteemed London Daily Sun so it must be true :D

Jane.

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter but I can't help getting mildly irritated when some churchgoers see Potter-bashing as a way of getting into the papers rather than a logical point of their stand on faith.

Then again, I can't wait until she gets out the final book so this nonsense can begin to disspiate.

It appears he is dead and buried in Israel:

Harry Potter fans pay homage at graveside of British soldier in Israel

Tue Jan 25,11:38 AM ET

JERUSALEM (AFP) - Fans of literary boy wizard Harry Potter (news - web sites) have been beating a path to the tomb of a 19-year-old British soldier who is buried in a cemetery close to Tel Aviv.

Corporal Harry Potter, a member of the Royal Worcestershire regiment, was killed 66 years ago during fighting in the southern West Bank town of Hebron and was subsequently laid to rest in a cemetery in the town of Ramle.

"Every day tourists and visitors come wanting to see Harry's grave," the cemetery's custodian Ibrahim Huri told the Maariv daily on Tuesday.

"At first I didn't know why they were interested in this grave, but then I was told there were books and movies about him."

The local council has recently added the grave to the official tourist guide.

"There is great interest and curiosity over Harry's grave," Ramle deputy mayor said. "We want to make an historical investigation into the soldier killed in Hebron when he was only 19."

Source

Emperor said:
It appears he is dead and buried in Israel:

Harry Potter fans pay homage at graveside of British soldier in Israel

Tue Jan 25,11:38 AM ET

JERUSALEM (AFP) - Fans of literary boy wizard Harry Potter (news - web sites) have been beating a path to the tomb of a 19-year-old British soldier who is buried in a cemetery close to Tel Aviv.

Corporal Harry Potter, a member of the Royal Worcestershire regiment, was killed 66 years ago during fighting in the southern West Bank town of Hebron and was subsequently laid to rest in a cemetery in the town of Ramle.

"Every day tourists and visitors come wanting to see Harry's grave," the cemetery's custodian Ibrahim Huri told the Maariv daily on Tuesday.

"At first I didn't know why they were interested in this grave, but then I was told there were books and movies about him."

The local council has recently added the grave to the official tourist guide.

"There is great interest and curiosity over Harry's grave," Ramle deputy mayor said. "We want to make an historical investigation into the soldier killed in Hebron when he was only 19."

Source

I was gonna say "only in America", but then i read it properly :lol:

The phenomenon of "Harry Potter is fiction about wizards therefore is against Christianity" furore is not new - role-playing games, including the innocuous Dungeons & Dragons, came in for the same evangelical, irrational rants because they dared to mention evil and demons ... completely ignoring the fact that characters were, for the most part, fighting against such things.

Harry Potter isn't exactly an unusual name, so it wouldn't surprise me if more cases of 'real life' Harry Potters emerge. Has the first case of someone changing their name by deed poll happened yet? Anything to get in the news.

Saddos.

Back