• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
a little overdone perhaps for my taste, but not bad at all... not that we actually see much of her...

...think i forgot to mention too the atrociously bad bluescreening. god only knows how that went wrong, but there's lots of scenes where the background looks very separate from the characters, same goes for whatever effect they've used to make hagrid look bigger than ever... he seems to detach from the background, and seems to need his own shot alternated against shots of the trio... so they have conversations that seem as clumsy and detached as everything else...

...ballsed up so bad it's almost an accomplishment :(

BlackRiverFalls said:
a little overdone perhaps for my taste, but not bad at all...
There is a certain... fulsome ripeness... about Helena Bonham-Carter, that some, perhaps of a slightly deviant disposition, might find very much to their liking.

:yeay:

Flicks tomorrow with progeny - Fantastic Four or Harry Potter? Um ah um ah...
Pietro_Mercurios said:
There is a certain... fulsome ripeness... about Helena Bonham-Carter, that some, perhaps of a slightly deviant disposition, might find very much to their liking.

:yeay:
Potter then. Thanks :yeay:.

ssshhhhhhh! don't tell fro!

BlackRiverFalls said:
...think i forgot to mention too the atrociously bad bluescreening. god only knows how that went wrong, but there's lots of scenes where the background looks very separate from the characters,

I noticed something like that in Four Weddings and a Funeral the other day. Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell are standing next to what I assume is the Thames, with waves, but the waves aren't moving at all.
How hard would it have been to shoot it next to real water? Or even just wiggle the waves-picture up and down a bit?

I actually quite enjoyed it. Yes there were problems due to the fact there is too much to fit into the 2 hours or so a film lasts and its a shame a lot of the more interesting teachers have little to do but I have found this the same with all the Potter films.

Agree that some of the visuals arent great but I think out of all the follow on films that have come out recently this is the best.

BlackRiverFalls said:

ssshhhhhhh! don't tell fro!

Oi!

<gives Mutley type snigger>

Seems that fats in the fire.

(and isnt it a lameass ending?)

OOTP had a lameass ending? They certainly made a mess of it... didn't get to see much of the department of mysteries... and the death eaters going all floaty put the kybosh on most of the action stuff that's meant to be there...

I'm not a Potter fan.

Never read the books.

Seen one of the films which I thought was a narrative mess.

Don't really care about it.......yet I want to know.....does he die at the end of the new book?

Change the font colour to white so you don't reveal a spoiler....or PM me...I'm curious.

If he dies...I hope Waterstones set up some sort of Help Line!

mooks

Yeah, I wish I was 30 years younger then I could enjoy these children's books and films! D'oh! :(

EDIT - Oof! Below the belt!

T'other half is watching the Open on TV, and saw a young girl in the audience reading the latest HP. She'd nearly finished, too.

There's a choice I wouldn't like - read a Harry Potter right through, or watch live golf. Tough call. :(

Frobush said:
Yeah, I wish I was 30 years younger then I could enjoy these children's books and films! D'oh! :(

EDIT - Oof! Below the belt!

We really missed out those classics of English Literature didn't we?

Hang on I'm 40, I could out and buy all the books right now...it's cost me about £160 all in...money's in the account...will I go buy them?

(Will I ****!)

So does he die then?

Come one don't be embarrassed if you dressed as a witch and queued. Nothing to be embarrassed about...I once dressed as Han Solo for the first ever triple bill showing of the Holy Trilogy at Glasgow's old Odeon on Renfield Street. I'm not embarrassed. By the way Vader is Luke's father!

I haven't read it, but apparently at the end they all get killed by the Federation.

That's Blake's 7 isn't it?

But did Avon (Paul 'Over Acting' Darrow) really die?

Finale

A mate of mine met Darrow in the street once and Darrow game him a knowing nod - as if to say "Yes, that's right. It's me."

EDIT - he also bumped into Jeffrey off of Rainbow in Rapid DIY in Liverpool and he was really ace and welcoming!

Come one don't be embarrassed if you dressed as a witch and queued.

i almost did... but i was too knackered and didn't fancy trying to get out of Leeds city centre after midnight on a friday... so i'll have to wait for my copy to arrive from amazon...

Frobush said:
A mate of mine met Darrow in the street once and Darrow game him a knowing nod - as if to say "Yes, that's right. It's me."
Amusing because Paul Darrow's autobiography is titled "You're Him, Aren't You?"

gncxx said:
I haven't read it, but apparently at the end they all get killed by the Federation.

Nah. It sinks.

death eaters going all floaty put the kybosh on most of the action stuff that's meant to be there...

I actually thought that was a lot more interesting than the way it is described in the book. It certainly looked better.

haven't seen the film

read the new book. A 600 hundred page book about death, being hit of the summer - funny old world, and all that!

But it's not about death, Mr. James, though a lot of death happens in it. It's about making choices and living through things as well as you can. And other things. There's plenty of themes if you're willing to see them.

Dumbledore had to raise Harry to die, but he didn't settle for that. He raised him to want to live, but be willing to die.

All her virtues and faults were laid out in this book; the virtues, better
than in others, because you got the repeated satisfying "snap" as plot
points slotted into place, whereas before we were assuming that a lot of
loose ends would have payoffs and taking it on trust (or not; though why people who weren't willing to do that read the books; or people who won't read the books insist on sneering at them; are choices I don't comprehend).

What Lois McMaster Bujold says about her Star Trek fandom in "The Unsung Collaborator," an essay in *Dreamweaver's Dilemma," a collection of short pieces, is apropos here.

"So anyway, I and about six of my girlfriends would gather every Thursday evening for what my parents called 'the prayer meeting,' and we would enjoy the show vociferously. my parents were baffled, and it was only lately, watching the show in very cold blood, that I have realized why. They thought that what they were seeing on the screen, the plot and effects and dialog, was all there was. They had no conception of how much work our willing brains were doing on the initial stimulus after our senses took it all in. We took the show in and fixed it, and it was to this fixed-up version that we gave our passionate response."

All shows are watched, and all books are read, and all music is heard, in this way. It is not finished till the audience absorbs it. And many people respond, positively or negatively, not to the real work, but to the passionate response. There are fans who have no taste of their own, but like or dislike what is wildly popular because it is wildly popular.

My own response to HP is very much like my response to ST - I don't see that it merits being the phenomenon it is, but I regard the phenomenon itself as valid. Whether the HP phenomenon will continue to have any long-lasting influence and whether that influence is, on balance, for good or ill, can't be predicted. It's uncertain about ST forty years later, come to that. Nobody ever acquired this level of pop culture visibility by deserving it or by design. It just happens, or, more likely, doesn't.

The world is unfair and it doesn't make sense, so we may as well enjoy what we can and refrain from spending money on what we can't.

I was oversimplifying, but I did think that death was a heavy and overreaching theme (very successfully) in the last book.

I thought a bunch of the deaths at the end were pretty perfunctory and unneccessary, plus a couple of them gave me the uneasy sense that there might be a spin off door opening.

I was just watchin the third one today and, well...

Do you think Snape's wearing a codpiece? Coz if he's not I've found another reason to love Alan Rickman A LOT

it's the way a lot of the characters died quite arbitrarily that bugged me more than anything, and even the uber bad guys didn't get much of a death scene per se, so much as a couple of lines saying that they'd copped for it it a not too convincing way...

BlackRiverFalls said:
it's the way a lot of the characters died quite arbitrarily that bugged me more than anything, and even the uber bad guys didn't get much of a death scene per se, so much as a couple of lines saying that they'd copped for it it a not too convincing way...
A lot like wartime, I thought.

However, there's also the possibility that we just got Rowlings' original, sketched out, notes in legible form, and not the full, final, polished, 500 extra pages, that would have been needed to do all the mentioned deaths and events justice. Perhaps, we should be thankful?

Mind you, it might have been nice to have had a bit more about the exciting doings of Dumbledore's Army, back at Greyfriars, I mean Hogwarts, for the kids, whilst Harry was wandering about doing his Frodo/Hamlet bit.

I took my daughter to the 3D Imax version of 'Harry Potter V,' yesterday, which was an expensive blast! Although, seems strange to go see the latest in big screen technology, to be confronted with a screen only slightly bigger and image quality only slightly better, than the ones I used to go watch 40 years ago, before the little rabbit hutch screening rooms of multiplex cinemas and digital 'High Definition' projectors replaced real film.

She enjoyed it though.
:)

So I'm not the only one who's noticed that then?
I thougt I was imagining it. The last time I went was about 10 years ago and I remember thinking to myself that it looked like the seedy old canvas drive-in screen from Grease

BlackRiverFalls said:

Oh, I think Bellatrix's death scene was pretty memorable and convincing...

It's not for me to tell you how to read any particular book, but here's a little exercise that I find useful. If something about a scene bugs or displeases you, sit back and ask youself - could this be the sensation the author wished me to feel? You can't know the author's intention unless she makes a public statement about it, but the point is to derive maximum benefit from the book.

If I, personally, wished to write a book which realistically aroused emotions appropriate to the topic of war, crime, and mayhem, I would make a random table ala D&D random encounter tables, plug every named character in the book into it except the protagonist (whose life or death has to be guided by story imperatives), and use dice to determine how many and which characters died violently and stupidly, how many nobly and meaningfully, and how many died of contingent circumstances which advanced no party in any way. Because that's how each precious individual lives or dies in such circumstances. Deaths from disease and accidents always outnumber battlefield deaths, and most battlefield deaths are boringly undramatic from the point of view of anyone but the party involved.

Whether it is a sound aesthetic decision to make a point like this in a work of mass-market escapist fiction is legitimately debateable, but I think it fits with a lot of her previous themes and the apparently meaningless deaths of Tonks, Lupine, Fred, Snape, etc., counteract for me some of the distaste I feel when faced with the apparently meaningful death of Dobby, Harry's death and resurrection, and Dumbledore's cold-blooded manipulations of Snape and Harry, as they provide a context for those actions. All these deaths, at one level, mean something profound and at another level are just death, and death sucks. :blah:

The last time I searched for fanfic about Neville and Ginny leading the Hogwarts underground, I got nothing.
This disappoints me.

Mod Edit Warning: Spoilers changed to hex color, '#E8E8EA' P_M. :)

Back