• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Has Facebook Learnt To Read Minds?

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Well of course it hasn't. But you know.....

Many times in the past I've noticed the ads that pop up on my screen where not just relevant to things I'd said or written in conversation/statuses etc - spyware obviously - , but stuff I'd merely been thinking about, which is creepier. Coincidence of course or advanced algorythmic doodahs or some such predicting my interests in a sci fi way. BUT....

Just now, having logged out and the last thing I'd been looking at was my newsfeed, nothing else, 10 minutes later I decide to log back in and look up/re-read a private message conversation with someone from December last year. So I log back in and facebook OPENS on that conversation.

Swear to jimminy cricket, scout's honour.

How the derren brown is that possible? :/

You may have to check your webcam is switched off. Does your laptop/pc have an inbuilt microphone? Also, make sure you have a decent malaware/adaware scanner.

None of those things apply..and none of htem would account for it knowing my unspoken thoughts!

I'm not on Facebook, but I know how their cookies work. They will set a cookie on you while you're logged in, and when you are logged out and surf somewhere else on the internet, Facebook are able to read your cookies because many sites got Facebook "Like" buttons and comment sections. They know where you've been even when logged out.

Yeah I gathered something like that for the ads...but what about the opening page being a conversation that I was intendig to search and which had not been open when I last logged out? Facebook always opens on your general news feed. Except for now.

What precisely were you doing online before logging back into FBook? Keyword triggering from your newsfeed?

So say you're an amateur taxidermist (random uniqueword from gattino's world). You open/read a news piece from your newsfeed about taxidermy. The FBook conversation you'd had with your friend included the word wildcard match "taxi" (how they paid too much on a night out), and, a persistent cookie just set moments ago, sourced from the newsfeed, part-matches from your private messages, and opens that applet / conversation.

Remembering, of course, that nobody in the universe fully understands their own Facebook personal settings options. They can't ever do so, because in the time it takes me to type this, they've probably all globally changed again.

I will say my previous actiivty was relevant for sure...but I still can't see how it did what it did.

I have a second, old defunct profile. I had the messages box open in that. The last of those messages, though I don't believe I actually opened or read it, was from the person in question. This is what made me think to go back to my proper current profile instead to see the entirely separate conversation with that person I'd had last year on there. This is where it went weird. I do not recall precisely what I did but cannot imagine and had no intention of doing anything other than logging out. Somehow instead a box opened up in front of the still open facebook page telling me I needed to log into facebook to proceed. To proceed to do what? I hadn't been trying to do anything other than log out (if that! I don't recall for sure the actual action of doing so). So I fill in my log in detail for my other/current profile and it opens up not on the home page/news feed but the conversation THAT profile had had with the person in question.

It's clearly all very suggestive of a technical process, but it has me absolutely scratching my head.

Last edited:
I suppose the logical thing would be to retrace my steps and see if it happens again.

On reflection this is not unique. I can't recall specifics as I wasn't noting htem down, but there have been a number of occassions when FB has seemingly of its own accord opened a page or profile etc relevant to my thoughts but not my actions, leaving me startled as to how I got there.

My brushes with the paranormal are not at the stage where I seriously think mind is affecting machine. But still, its enough to make you paranoid and start shopping for tinfoil hats. Eitehr that or I'm having momentary time lapses/blackouts.

Google is a bit spooky like this too.
There are times when I'll type in a single letter and it'll come up with EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR. Straight away. :eek:
I might take Rynner's advice and use Duckduckgo...

What precisely were you doing online before logging back into FBook? Keyword triggering from your newsfeed?

So say you're an amateur taxidermist (random uniqueword from gattino's world). You open/read a news piece from your newsfeed about taxidermy. The FBook conversation you'd had with your friend included the word wildcard match "taxi" (how they paid too much on a night out), and, a persistent cookie just set moments ago, sourced from the newsfeed, part-matches from your private messages, and opens that applet / conversation.

Remembering, of course, that nobody in the universe fully understands their own Facebook personal settings options. They can't ever do so, because in the time it takes me to type this, they've probably all globally changed again.

Well versed chicken. As for FBook, I quit using it years back.

It's easy to forget that cookies are tracking around the web. I recently made a purchase from the Royal Mint, and now, I can browsing some random website, checking emails or the latest cricket scores, and an advert will pop up inviting me to buy the latest 50p in solid silver!

Not so spooky, but even Amazon has a way of predicting exactly the book I was thinking of buying.

Delete your cookies & empty cache regularly to minimise being tracked.

And use Duck Duck Go or ixquick.com when searching....

Funny, the same thing happened to me the other day. I was going to post something about the Dredd movie then changed my mind. Five minutes later an advert for Dredd t-shirts appeared in the FB sidebar. The weird thing was, I was having a conversation with a guy about that exact phenomenon, where FB sees your post and shows an ad about the same thing. I was going to mention Dredd but thought it would be too hard for FB to find an ad about it since it's a couple of years old now, so I changed my post to mention Star Wars instead.
Somehow FB read my mind and showed me Dredd anyway (it also showed the Star Wars ad before that).

It's possible it's using an algorithm similar to what Amazon uses when it flags up what people who bought what you bought also bought.

It's not following your thoughts but if it's picked up on a half dozen things you're into then it can cross reference that with where other people's train of thought has already gone from that point.

As it's probably doing it all the time and we're used to screening out crap that doesn't interest us, we don't realise how many fails it's had before it gets that scary hit.

Isn't there a giant supercomputer out in the North American wilderness that tracks everything online all the better to predict trends in media and society? I'm not being sarcastic, it exists but I can't recall its name. We're a lot more predictable than we'd like to think.

Bit annoying if you browse for something a bit 'personal', then somebody else sees your screen.

Because of some of the links from this Forum I have had some amazing links alongside my Facebook page.

Bit annoying if you browse for something a bit 'personal', then somebody else sees your screen.

Welcome to the internet where mind-reading through search result harvesting and social media posting is the in-thing. I should think it largely covers trends rather than spying on you specifically - unless your tastes run to the illegal, in which case good luck to you, you'll need it.

It's easy to forget that cookies are tracking around the web.

Woah....what? Are they? Openly and legally? Between related companies, within coglomerates, yes.

But are they being transacted as a datapile commodity, across sectors/markets/disciplines? Source traceably, to me, as a root nominal? I never consented to that. Show me who did, informed and advised, and I shall show you a fictitious marketing scarecrow.

We are all turkeys in a big cage, fed with sugary snacks and watered-down beer, but....none of us are overtly voting for an early Xmas (or Thanksgiving, whatever, insert your societally-appropriate metaphorical feast-day)

http://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/5004291
Why Is Google Finishing My Sentences, and Facebook Reading My Mind?

" I wish Google would stop thinking it knows what we're thinking. It doesn't. It's often ludicrously off base, and usually simply annoying. Obviously not what they were going for.

The (now accepted) intrusion to Google's search box is called Google Instant, and the folks at Google call it a search enhancement. You've experienced it -- the annoying way that Google finishes your sentences before you are able to. While it seems like Google has always been able to jump in there and mess with you while you're in the middle of typing out a search query, it only started in September of 2010. In a mere four years, Google has made it so millions of people just accept that we should let the Google search.
Two questions arise. What? And why?
What made someone over at Google think people wanted this truly annoying feature? Why does Google consider any beginning, with any letter of the alphabet the exact thing to jump on and tell you what's on your mind? Sorry, nope, incorrect. Again. Google got it wrong with this piece of search strategy, and it's still wrong. Google isn't a mind reader. It reminds us of the huge outcry when the big brains deep within the Google matrix decided to redesign Gmail, even though millions of people wanted at least the option to use the Gmail program they already used, and liked just fine. Users were pretty much forced to 'try out' the new form of Gmail, and were told they would like it more. Really, they would.

If only the tech giants would let every part of how we use their services be opt-in instead of opt-out. Prefer the more intuitive, previous version of Gmail? Tired of having Google's search box complete your sentences for you? If you take the time, you are supposed to be able to turn off Google Instant. But this goes back to making users work for something they should have had a choice in. I'm guessing you have to be signed in to op-out. Better to ask why it was every made a standard feature to begin with.

Facebook also thinks it's in the business of mind reading. It's not. At its best it actually connects a diverse community of people. It serves a useful function. But when the side ads pop up on Facebook in a creepy way, offering people, products, services you may or may not be thinking of at exactly that moment, it's just as easy to tune them out as it used to be with banner ads. And, as any web user knows, banner ads and pops-ups have exactly zero effectiveness anymore. We've all had the chip installed that lets us tune these out.

Both Facebook and Google are in the business of collecting our personal information, or in the language of now, our data. Facebook tracks our online doings, connections, likes and dislikes, beliefs and non-beliefs, and so when it shows a targeted ad, it thinks it has a pretty good bead on who you are. What they aren't taking into account is that people are presenting a side of themselves online, and it's either a thin slice of who they really are, a mega-dose of who they are, or a mostly fictionalized version of themselves, made to impress their own target market.

For the tech giants like Google, Facebook, Apple, and others, changing their offerings is an ongoing process. But being told you're going to like it no matter what is no longer accepted by all, and probably by fewer than ever before. Change isn't always progress. It's just something else to deal with. More and more, it's coming back to having a real choice and not having to tolerate tech that isn't easy or intuitive. Easy, elegant, and intuitive. Plus, offering people a choice. This is what the smart new tech companies are making.

While we people on the other side of the screen are called everything from users to consumers, we all want a choice in the matter, and the more choice a company offers up front, the better we'll think of them.
"

Last edited:
If you'll allow me to go a bit Adam Curtis, it's more to do with reward culture: they find out what you want and supply it to you, and a stability is achieved. Or a stagnation. Soon you'll be craving that and finding, as Carrie Fisher said, the trouble with instant gratification is that it takes too long.

Welcome to the internet where mind-reading through search result harvesting and social media posting is the in-thing. I should think it largely covers trends rather than spying on you specifically - unless your tastes run to the illegal, in which case good luck to you, you'll need it.
Hold on. 'Personal' or 'embarrassing' doesn't necessarily have to mean 'illegal'.
For example, I was watching the Ben Stiller Walter Mitty film earlier and something in that film prompted me to look on Amazon for 2-pint beer glasses shaped like a boot. Guess what? I just checked Facebook, and a little ad for these boot-glasses turns up there. Clearly, it means that Facebook and Amazon have some deal where they share cookies.
If a friend came along and saw my screen, they'd know I'd been looking at these awful, kitsch products and would tease me about it.
Ouch. Now you all know I've been looking at these awful, kitsch products...

Sorry, I wasn't implying you'd turned to crime! But it's all being stored automatically, those searches, so they can tell everything from your favourite TV shows or beverages to your sexual preferences. It's in the service of rewarding us with what we want, or what our searches and likes and comments indicate we want. I wonder if it is even all that personal, we're being treated like a vast herd of easily amused toddlers looking to be distracted by the next sparkly thing, every one of us, just to keep order.

These be the Devil's cookies, these fiendish web conspirators! If I'm buying revolvers and strychnine, or cream for my piles, I don't want my transactional aspirations to be transmuted across the web....

Hmmm.
I just hope in the future, people can't casually look this info up and know that you bought some haemorrhoid cream or some extra small condoms, or whatever else...imagine a job interview...how it would go...
'Hey guys, our next candidate bought some haemorrhoid cream yesterday'.

Back