• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

JudSawyer

Junior Acolyte
Hello,
Do any of you less young people recall an item on either Michael Aspel's 'Strange But True' or Carol Vorderman's 'Out of This World' about a strange B&B in Hastings that may or may not have been lost in time? I cannot find any clips online, nor any other reference. They did one of those dramatic reconstruction jobs!

A couple was on a visit to Hastings and decided to stay overnight. Presumably this must have been in the 1980s that it happened. It was busy and all the hotels and guest houses were full and they couldn't find anywhere to stay in the Old Town. Suddenly they saw a B&B or guest house that they hadn't spotted on their first walk up this particular street. They knocked and were let in by an extremely old woman, who said yes, she had a room to let. They ate in her dining room and it had a really huge, old-fashioned radio with that sort of webbing on the front (not that unusual, the old ones did last a long time) and it was playing very old-fashioned big band type music and was very crackly. How quaint, they thought. They also found an old programme lying around for a concert that had taken place right at the beginning of the 20th century. The woman gave them a key for their room that had a fleur-de-lys pattern on it.

They went up to their room and yes, it was rather old-fashioned. The man went in to the bathroom to do...whatever. He heard his wife rattling the bathroom door handle really hard, trying to get in. 'I won't be long!' he yelled, and came out, expecting to see her right in front of the door -- but she was sitting on the bed. She asked him why he was yelling -- he explained and neither of them slept very well that night.

The next day, they came down and had their breakfast and handed in the key.

When they got home, the key was still in the wife's pocket....

Really, when you think about it, the rattling bathroom door handle is the only aspect of this tale that is truly strange: there was no mention of the couple having any difficulty in paying their hostess in the currency of the time, and maybe they had a duplicate key (although you'd think they'd remember).

Does anyone else remember this one?
- Judith

Hello,
Do any of you less young people recall an item on either Michael Aspel's 'Strange But True' or Carol Vorderman's 'Out of This World' about a strange B&B in Hastings that may or may not have been lost in time? I cannot find any clips online, nor any other reference. They did one of those dramatic reconstruction jobs!

A couple was on a visit to Hastings and decided to stay overnight. Presumably this must have been in the 1980s that it happened. It was busy and all the hotels and guest houses were full and they couldn't find anywhere to stay in the Old Town. Suddenly they saw a B&B or guest house that they hadn't spotted on their first walk up this particular street. They knocked and were let in by an extremely old woman, who said yes, she had a room to let. They ate in her dining room and it had a really huge, old-fashioned radio with that sort of webbing on the front (not that unusual, the old ones did last a long time) and it was playing very old-fashioned big band type music and was very crackly. How quaint, they thought. They also found an old programme lying around for a concert that had taken place right at the beginning of the 20th century. The woman gave them a key for their room that had a fleur-de-lys pattern on it.

They went up to their room and yes, it was rather old-fashioned. The man went in to the bathroom to do...whatever. He heard his wife rattling the bathroom door handle really hard, trying to get in. 'I won't be long!' he yelled, and came out, expecting to see her right in front of the door -- but she was sitting on the bed. She asked him why he was yelling -- he explained and neither of them slept very well that night.

The next day, they came down and had their breakfast and handed in the key.

When they got home, the key was still in the wife's pocket....

Really, when you think about it, the rattling bathroom door handle is the only aspect of this tale that is truly strange: there was no mention of the couple having any difficulty in paying their hostess in the currency of the time, and maybe they had a duplicate key (although you'd think they'd remember).

Does anyone else remember this one?
- Judith
I dont remember the show, but looking up 'Strange but True' there was and episode featuring a time slip, listed as series 2 episode 2, however on YouTube s2 e2 doesn't appear to relate to the episode listing for time slip

I've got two of the tie-in books for the show. There is certainly a chapter on timeslips. I'll see if I can find anything in there - if I can pin down the books, which may be on layer two of the shelves, somewhere! :)

Back