• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Clothing

Midnight said:
That's fascinating, from the fact that the kids originally thought the entity was imaginary to the idea that it was protecting them. I wonder if it was using the clothes in an attempt to create an appearance that wouldbe somewhat familiar and not frightening?

According to my friend, it was always friendly. Because he and his sister were little kids, they believed the entity was real from the get-go. It stuck around for months if not years, then told them it had to go one day, and did. After a few years passed I'm sure they both went WTF?! and commiserated.

Minor Drag said:
"According to my friend, it was always friendly. Because he and his sister were little kids, they believed the entity was real from the get-go. It stuck around for months if not years, then told them it had to go one day, and did. After a few years passed I'm sure they both went WTF?! and commiserated."

I phrased that badly, I meant once older and looking back they must have thought it was a dream or imagination until they compared notes and realized they both remembered the same thing. It's still fascinating. I love the stories or occurances that have the element of weird. Not just a ghost in the closet, an entity made out of clothes. :D

Midnight said:
[quote="Minor Drag It's still fascinating. I love the stories or occurances that have the element of weird. Not just a ghost in the closet, an entity made out of clothes. :D

Exactly! How right you are. It seems now-a-days that these are the types of stories that give me the goosebumps that I seek. Just plain weird ones.

also, yurei wrote:
"Oh my god, I had those things! Several of them, in fact. It was between the ages of 2-6 years old. That's so weird - no one else I've ever met has had anything like that before. The "beings" used to scare me a lot, but only afterwards. I don't remember being scared while these events were occurring. Afterwards, however, I would get absolutely terrified."

Yours were clothes too? did they speak as well? what do you remember about them the most? How exciting!

~Kim~

Actually, I grew up in Canada, so whatever these "beings" are, they're not found in a single location.

They seemed to wear my clothes in order to give themselves a shape, because I got the impression that without that they were invisible, and yet I could kind of sense that they had a shape of their own under all the clothes. There were also more than one of them. They didn't live in the closet but they seemed to go there, put on the clothes, and then come out of the closet, as it were.

I used to complain to my mother about them, and she called them "ghosts". I don't think they were ghosts or spirits though - they had an intelligence and a volition and didn't seem "dead" at all. She proposed us putting up a big, invisible sign reading, "No Ghosts Allowed" to keep them away. In retrospect, I think she thought my "ghosts" were imaginary and therefore something like this would work (and it would have if they had been imaginary). Unfortunately they came quite frequently despite the invisible sign.

I never got the impression that they were "protecting" me, but I definitely feel as if they were trying to communicate with me - of course, I have no recollection of what they said or communicated. They seemed neutral - as in, they had no feelings either way about me, either positive or negative. They would often come while I was in bed but my parents were awake downstairs watching TV. I would come out of my room to tell my parents about the things but they'd get mad and put me back to bed. What's more is that the clothes were always left on the floor of the closet and not put back on the hangers the way they were supposed to. (In fact, some of the beings would wear the clothes while they still had the hangers sticking out of them, which gave me a terror of clothes hangers for years, believe it or not - because the "hook" part seemed to be the "head" of the being.) So I'd get in trouble for throwing the clothes on the floor of the closet.

It only happened in one house where we lived - after we moved (when I was six) I never saw these things again. I am at an utter loss for an explanation.

I'd favour hypnogogic hallucinations, or at least lucid dreaming. I don't wish to offend anyone here but, if two siblings shared the same experience in this case, then one of them must be just being sympathetic or patronising in agreeing with them. Either that, or both were subject to some elaborate (or, in the case of children..not too elaborate.) prank.
I seem to recall as a nipper seeing some very wierd and strange things, shadows shooting across the bedroom wall when the curtains were shut, the odd discoloured faces emerging from the darkness of the open wardrobe etc... but all these things happened either late at night or early morning. Had they happened and my sisters witnessed them too..then I would deeply doubt any logical explanation, not discounting similarly induced imaginations connected by genetics/environmental variables.
Oooh! You're going to hate me for writing this! :shock:

spillage said:
"Oooh! You're going to hate me for writing this!" :shock:

:) I don't think anyone will hate you for offering a logical possibility. It could very well have been any of the things you suggested. However the individuals reporting these memories from childhood have had years to consider possible explainations and if they feel that they saw what they saw I would not dismiss their experience as being 'all in their head.'
I know you're not dismissing anyone here, Spillage, I agree wholeheartedly that logical explainations have to be explored first. We can't call something unexplainable if we don't try first to explain it. But the enjoyment of the whole subject comes from those occurances that defy logic and scientific explaination. Unfortunately they usually happen when we don't have a camera or tape recorder handy or by the time you grab one the whole thing is over. You're left with what you saw, heard and felt at the moment.

When my children were small, they used to talk about the man who lived in their closet, a nice grandfatherly person who would sometimes come out late at night when they couldn't sleep and read to them. I would catagorize this 'memory' as imagination or dreams that one told the other about if I hadn't had my own odd experiences in that apartment, which I did not tell my children about so as not to frighten them. I place it in the realm of 'maybe' and let them have it as a positive first contact for them with the unexplained.
Now that they are both teens, if something strange happens, we always go over logical possibilities first which usually explains things. Both kids have a healthy interest in fortean subjects but I've stressed that you don't believe that every glimpse of something out of the corner of your eye and every shadow is evidence of the paranormal.

It's quite possible for these incidents to have been vivid lucid dreams - I am totally not discounting that idea in my particular case. The line between reality and fantasy is much less distinct when we're children, and given the amount of time since the incidents my memories might seem more "real" to me now than they were at the time... I don't know.

What I do know is that if these were dreams, they happened frequently, and my mother does remember me coming out of my room at night all the time to fetch her. Of course, I did the same thing when I had nightmares, too... and I do know that I could tell the difference between dreams and reality, but if they were lucid dreams... I don't know. They also only happened in that one particular house for some reason.

At any rate, it gives me the chills to this very day.

As far as having two children experience the same thing... that's more difficult to explain in terms of dreams. However, it seems unlikely to me that they would not have discussed it while it was happening, and only talked about it years later. The memory's a strange thing, though.

Midnight said:
spillage said:
"Oooh! You're going to hate me for writing this!" :shock:

:) However the individuals reporting these memories from childhood have had years to consider possible explainations and if they feel that they saw what they saw I would not dismiss their experience as being 'all in their head.'
I know you're not dismissing anyone here, Spillage, I agree wholeheartedly that logical explainations have to be explored first. We can't call something unexplainable if we don't try first to explain it. But the enjoyment of the whole subject comes from those occurances that defy logic and scientific explaination. Unfortunately they usually happen when we don't have a camera or tape recorder handy or by the time you grab one the whole thing is over. You're left with what you saw, heard and felt at the moment.

...I've stressed that you don't believe that every glimpse of something out of the corner of your eye and every shadow is evidence of the paranormal.

I lean toward Midnights theory on this matter.

It sometimes seems that when confronting an alleged fortean possibility some of us have a tendency to immidiately give it a logical explaination, even those of us who are lovers of all things fortean. A personal example I can give of this is after viewing picture after picture of so called ghosts caught on film, etc. I began to quit really looking at them at all and automatically assuming that the pictures were some how falsified or logical in nauture. After reading what seemed like hundreds of 'personal stories' that sounded completely out of hand and crazy, I began to "pshaw" everything! I was becoming *gasp* cynical!
After a time and after reading a few great posts here on this board, I was able to see this in myself and re adjust my approach of certain matters that absolutely require an open, non judgemental mindset.
I thank this board and its many eloquent members for that.

~Kim~

yurei said:
In fact, some of the beings would wear the clothes while they still had the hangers sticking out of them, which gave me a terror of clothes hangers for years, believe it or not - because the "hook" part seemed to be the "head" of the being.

Dude. I believe you.

That is such a terrifying image.

I, for one certainly don't dismiss things just because it usually turns out to have a mundane or logical reason. But, as Midnight suggested, until all logical or realistic reasoning has been eliminated, one cannot assume anything else....well...one can asume anything one wants really; regarding it as truth is another matter. Therefore, anything without hard evidence would be treated as proof that someone really did have a dream about such and such when they said they did. It doesn't mean anything exists but a person dreaming....the dream is subjective unless we all shared it or it was somehow recorded and varified.
If a pair of trousers etc were to walk down a busy highstreet, be seen by many people there and was caught on CCTV etc.... and the trousers were examined and tested... then the pehenomenon *duh doooh do duh dooh*
would then exist.
I'm off out now to meet our lass and get drunk 'cos it's a bank Holiday and that. ;)

I forgot to add this to my last post, it's an exerpt from a story on the Mackie Poltergeist. This isn't the story I spoke of in my earlier post. I'm still searching that one out but it seems that both stories (in which animated clothing appear) recount heavy poltergeist activity. Maybe there's a connection (?) (?) :hmm:

A human shape, seemingly made out of cloth, appeared, groaning: 'Whisht... whisht'.”

Rerrick’s restless spirit By Sara Bain

~Kim~

The type of noise one would expect from clothing. As the noise made from "leaves".....

spillage said:
I, for one certainly don't dismiss things just because it usually turns out to have a mundane or logical reason. But, as Midnight suggested, until all logical or realistic reasoning has been eliminated, one cannot assume anything else....well...one can asume anything one wants really; regarding it as truth is another matter.

It's true that mundane and logical explanations are far more likely than supernatural ones. In the absence of any kind of explanation it's okay to leave it at that, I think, instead of forcing a conclusion which may be wrong. Some things will always remain unexplained. That doesn't make them supernatural in origin, nor does it make them otherwise.

However, it's my experience that the world is full of weird and wonderful things which also happen to be hard scientific facts - so "logical" explanations need not always be mundane... :D

Minor Drag said:
yurei said:
In fact, some of the beings would wear the clothes while they still had the hangers sticking out of them, which gave me a terror of clothes hangers for years, believe it or not - because the "hook" part seemed to be the "head" of the being.

Dude. I believe you.

That is such a terrifying image.

I'm telling you. It was. It is. Of course, my childhood was filled with odd fears like that, like fears of holes, and of small baby dolls - the origins of which I cannot remember.

The hanger thing got really bad at one point when I was very young. It vexed my mother, especially while clothes-shopping.

Coat hangers are bastards! Infamously so! They inhibit everyones' worst nightmares! They fall all over the place for spite! They multiply when we are not looking and they catch hold of your sleeves and things just to make you feel "less important"!
Anything with wire in it is a bastard! Just think about it! Anything electrical pisses your life away and wires and cables never cease to trip you up or tangle (for spite!) especially when you are in an urgent hurry!
Wire coathangers! Yes!....Oh aye!... :evil:

rynner said:
I once investigated a haunted house, and one of the visual apparitions reported was a child's dress, moving beyond a doorway as if a child wearing it was playing peek-a-boo...

It was an old fashioned type of dress, belted...

but the house was only built in the 60s, on land that had not been built on at all until after 1945.

(I'm pretty sure that I've reported this here before.)
Sounds familiar. Haven't had any experiences with haunted clothing, but we once knew a carpenter ( a particularly loathsome asshole ) who had fleeced an elderly couple out of a great deal of money to make an oak bookcase. After collecting the cash, he bought cheap particle board ( about the farthest you could get from fine oak ) and never started work on the bookcase, making interminable excuses to the couple until they finally died, one after the other, in a matter of months. He would often get drunk and boast about how he'd ripped 'those old geezers' off, which he found quite funny. He finally did use the wood he'd purchased for the old couple, in the construction of - ironically - a bookcase for another customer. After they'd moved the bookcase into their home, they complained that they were frequently awakenened at night by loud rapping and cracking sounds coming from the bookcase ( I should probably mention that they had no idea about the origins of the wood used in the construction of the bookcase ). The carpenter explained that he'd been in the business for well over 20 years, and that the bookcase he'd made for them was of the finest quality. Eventually, probably sensing that something just wasn't quite right with their furniture purchase, they told him to come and remove it from their house, which he did, and moved it into his own home. Almost immediately, he began to hear the same sounds coming from the bookcase ( which now held no books or brickabrack of any kind ). He finally took it to the local dump. Haunted wood? I've no idea. Perhaps cheating elderly folks out of their savings and then boasting about it after they've died is not the wisest thing one could do.

At least from a Karmic standpoint, that dude is in deep shit.

more Haunted clothing??

I found another:

My daughter came through one evening complaining that she was unable to sleep as all her clothes were dancing round the room. When I checked her room, indeed all her clothes were scattered around the room.

Your True Tales
April 2005 – Page 25

Baby Monitor Ghost
by Pete Rankin

http://paranormal.about.com/library/bls ... l05_25.htm

Interesting.

Blakta2,

I haven't personally heard any other stories about haunted/animated clothing other than one. It was concerning a family that lived in the late 1800's.
It seemed their home became the center of some very frightening poltergeist activity. The Father was determined to outwit this "thing"
that was frightening the life out of his "women" and the help. He was sure that the activity had a mundane explaination and he set out to prove this. Anyhow...one day it seems they all came home to their clothing laid out to create the shapes of human bodies, etc. and I think at one point some of the clothing became animated. I'll try to search out the story.

That sounds like the Stratford Poltergeist case from 1850 - the Rev. Phelps and his family, in Connecticut. The phenomena began after the Rev had conducted a seance after reading about the Fox sisters case - nothing much happened. But one Sunday, he and his family returned from church:

In one of the bedrooms, someone had spread a sheet over the bed and had placed one of Mrs. Phelps’ nightgowns on top of it. Stockings had then been placed at the bottom of it to suggest feet and the arms of the gown had been folded over the chest as though crossed in preparation for a funeral. What sort of message had the thieves, or more likely vandals, been trying to send?

The family attempted to restore some order to the house before returning to the church for the afternoon services. When the clock struck past noon, Mrs. Phelps and the children departed, but Dr. Phelps remained at the house, hoping to catch the burglars when they returned. He hid in his study, armed with a pistol, and waited in silence. A few hours passed and he heard no sounds but that of the house creaking in the wind. No doors opened or closed, no footsteps fell in the rooms or the corridors.

Eventually, he left his hiding place and wandered about the lower floor. He opened the door to the dining room and got a shocking discovery! The previously empty room was now filled with a crowd of women! They had entered the house without sound and now stood silent and still, standing and kneeling in positions of religious devotion. Several of them held bibles, others bowed so low that their foreheads nearly brushed the floor, and all of them seemed to be in a rough circle in the center of the room.

It was several moments before Dr. Phelps realized that the women in the room were incredibly lifelike effigies that had been fashioned from the family’s clothing. The dresses had been filled with rags, muffs and other materials from around the house. The dummies had somehow been created and positioned during the short time that Mrs. Phelps and the children had been away from the house.. and while Dr. Phelps had been so vigilantly standing guard! How could it have been done? And more importantly, what did it mean?

Notably, this would not be the last time that the effigies would appear without explanation in the house. Over the months to come, these eleven "women" would be joined by nearly 20 more. They would appear without warning and with no clue as to how they were constructed so quickly or so secretly.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/stratford.html

Thanks kinnikinick, that is the one I remember. I think that was the first story I read where clothing was involved and somehow incorporated into the haunting activity. Creepy. :shock:

~Kim~

E. Nesbit - haunted clothes

I recently reread the E. Nesbit book "The Enchanted Castle", which features a very horrible sequence in which a set of dummies made out of clothes are brought to life accidentally with a magic ring. (They were made to bulk out an audience for a childens' play)

here's how they are described before they are alive:

Mademoiselle looked at the figure seated nearest to her, stooped to
look more closely, half laughed, quite screamed, and sat down
suddenly.

"Oh!" she cried, "they are not alive!"

Eliza, with a much louder scream, had found out the same thing
and announced it differently. "They ain't got no insides," said she.
The seven members of the audience seated among the wilderness
of chairs had, indeed, no insides to speak of. Their bodies were
bolsters and rolled-up blankets, their spines were broom-handles,
and their arm and leg bones were hockey sticks and umbrellas.
Their shoulders were the wooden crosspieces that Mademoiselle
used for keeping her jackets in shape; their hands were gloves
stuffed out with handkerchiefs; and their faces were the paper
masks painted in the afternoon by the untutored brush of Gerald,
tied on to the round heads made of the ends of stuffed
bolster-cases. The faces were really rather dreadful. Gerald had
done his best, but even after his best had been done you would
hardly have known they were faces, some of them, if they hadn't
been in the positions which faces usually occupy, between the
collar and the hat. Their eyebrows were furious with lamp-black
frowns their eyes the size, and almost the shape, of five-shilling
pieces, and on their lips and cheeks had been spent much crimson
lake and nearly the whole of a half-pan of vermilion.

and once they are alive:

Mademoiselle began it: she applauded the garden scene with
hurried little clappings of her quick French hands. Eliza's fat red
palms followed heavily, and then someone else was clapping, six
or seven people, and their clapping made a dull padded sound.
Nine faces instead of two were turned towards the stage, and seven
out of the nine were painted, pointed paper faces. And every hand
and every face was alive.

it goes on...

He caught the ring from the unresisting Mabel, cried, "I wish the
Uglies weren't alive," and tore through the door. He saw, in fancy,
Mabel's wish undone, and the empty hall strewed with limp
bolsters, hats, umbrellas, coats and gloves, prone abject properties
from which the brief life had gone out for ever. But the hall was
crowded with live things, strange things all horribly short as broom
sticks and umbrellas are short. A limp hand gesticulated. A pointed
white face with red cheeks looked up at him, and wide red lips
said something, he could not tell what. The voice reminded him of
the old beggar down by the bridge who had no roof to his mouth.
These creatures had no roofs to their mouths, of course they had no
"Aa 00 re o me me oo a oo ho el?" said the voice again. And it had
said it four times before Gerald could collect himself sufficiently
to understand that this horror alive, and most likely quite
uncontrollable was saying, with a dreadful calm, polite
persistence: "Can you recommend me to a good hotel?"

"Can you recommend me to a good hotel?" The speaker had no
inside to his head. Gerald had the best of reasons for knowing it.
The speaker's coat had no shoulders inside it only the cross-bar
that a jacket is slung on by careful ladies. The hand raised in
interrogation was not a hand at all; it was a glove lumpily stuffed
with pocket-handkerchiefs; and the arm attached to it was only
Kathleen's school umbrella. Yet the whole thing was alive, and
was asking a definite, and for anybody else, anybody who really
was a body, a reasonable question.

The children decide to bring them to a tunnel that they can lock them in to until the spell wears off, so they tell the "Ugly Wuglies" they are bringing them to a Good Hotel

The respectable Ugly-Wugly leading with the lamp, the others
following trustfully, one and all disappeared into that narrow
doorway; and Gerald and Mabel standing without, hardly daring to
breathe lest a breath should retard the procession, almost sobbed
with relief. Prematurely, as it turned out. For suddenly there was a
rush and a scuffle inside the passage, and as they strove to close
the door the Ugly-Wuglies fiercely pressed to open it again.
Whether they saw something in the dark passage that alarmed
them, whether they took it into their empty heads that this could
not be the back way to any really respectable hotel, or whether a
convincing sudden instinct warned them that they were being
tricked, Mabel and Gerald never knew. But they knew that the
Ugly- Wuglies were no longer friendly and commonplace, that a
fierce change had come over them. Cries of "No, No!" "We won't
go on!" "Make him lead!" broke the dreamy stillness of the perfect
night. There were screams from ladies voices, the hoarse,
determined shouts of strong Ugly- Wuglies roused to resistance,
and, worse than all, the steady pushing open of that narrow stone
door that had almost closed upon the ghastly crew. Through the
chink of it they could be seen, a writhing black crowd against the
light of the bicycle lamp; a padded hand reached round the door;
stick-boned arms stretched out angrily towards the world that that
door, if it closed, would shut them off from for ever. And the tone
of their consonantless speech was no longer conciliatory and
ordinary; it was threatening, full of the menace of unbearable
horrors.

The padded hand fell on Gerald's arm, and instantly all the terrors
that he had, so far, only known in imagination became real to him,
and he saw, in the sort of flash that shows drowning people their
past lives, what it was that he had asked of Mabel, and that she had
given.

"Push, push for your life!" he cried, and setting his heel against the
pedestal of Flora, pushed manfully.

"I can't any more oh, I can't!" moaned Mabel, and tried to use her
heel likewise but her legs were too short.

"They mustn't get out, they mustn't!" Gerald panted.

"You'll know it when we do," came from inside the door in tones
which fury and mouth-rooflessness would have made
unintelligible to any ears but those sharpened by the wild fear of
that unspeakable moment.

When I read it first as a small child, I was very frightened, but I forgot all about it until I reread it recently. It was weird, I started getting this feeling of sick apprehension as I got closer to this sequence, but it wasn't until I actually read it that I remembered reading it before...

I never read the book, but I remember the BBC TV adaptation of The Enchanted Castle in 1979 and the Ugly Wuglies bit is pretty vivid in my mind. I bet it spawned a few nightmares.

Cheers for bringing all that back, Bojangles! I think I'd just about managed to erase the uggliewugglies from my mind ;)

Scared the pants off me as a kid - esp the scary veneer of adult sophistication that was hinted at by the request for the "good hotel". Aaargh, I'm redamaged.

I remember reading somewhere that Bridport Museum in Dorset did have or still has a haunted dress. I've not been there so can't tell you anymore, and can't remember where I read it or what form the haunting takes.

Just the very thought of it freaks me out, though. I think about everytime I walk past the museum, and it makes me want to never go in there. Doesn't help that I, too, get freaked out by shop dummies and waxworks, I've always hated them.

SOLES OF THE DEAD MAY BE STIRRING AT SEASIDE SHOE SHOP
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

11:00 - 18 May 2005
An exorcism may have to be performed on a Cornish clothes shop where the mysterious movements of a pair of shoes are being blamed on a ghost. Store assistants at Chatham in Padstow have been terrified by a series of spooky goings-on involving a pair of brown deck shoes. All the shoes in the shop in which Helen Honey and Faye Chown work are on display with one crossed on top of the other - but the deck shoes regularly end up side by side.

Helen and Faye both thought the other was playing games - until Helen, 19, saw what was happening.

She said: "I was standing at the counter when the top shelf of the display began wobbling, as though the shoes were trying to be picked up. Then the deck shoes jumped off the shelf completely and landed next to each other, just like we always found them. I screamed and ran out of the shop. It can't be a coincidence because we have tried jumping up and down by the shelf to see if it wobbles, but nothing moves."

Helen and Faye told owner John Walter, who summoned Father Chris Malkinson to the shop. He has said prayers and cast holy water.

Father Chris said: "Sometimes there is evidence of a soul trapped between this world and the next. I am sure it will disappear over time."

But the shoes are still moving, according to the shop staff, and John may now ask for a full exorcism. He believes the premises could be haunted by one of its former owners, a butcher who committed suicide in a nearby cattle shed in the 19th century.

Previous businesses in the shop have also reported problems, including another butcher whose meat kept moving from one fridge to another. John added: "They had a real problem with legs of lamb."

Helen said she feels a ghostly presence every time she locks up the shop. She said: "I can feel someone is watching me. It's quite a tense feeling."

WMN

This pisses me off on lots of terms.
I shan't go into things like "...not a coincidence.." not being anyything to do with coincidence...or religious bollocks... But stay to the frame and say that if these things are true and do occurr....then there are many many many many (etc..) scientists who are really really really wasting finds/grants and resources and bloody humanitarianistic time ignoring this!!!
But..sadly I suspect this cannot be so. There's too much..no...far too much profit to be made from harnessing this form of energy to ignore it. So why is it being ignored? *Now....let's not go into speculative conspiricy theories!*...I can't think of any rational reason why!
This leads one to think that none of this and similar bear any truth...or at least any serious validation. Think about it.
REMEMBER!....I'm only pissed off because I want to see some shit happen but haven't and haven't seen anything closely resembling evidence of anything paranormal despite experienceing lots of things similar and even wierder than this!
I'm not a redneck sceptic...I just don't believe Chinese whispers. Know what I mean? :?

spillage said:
I'm only pissed off because I want to see some shit happen but haven't and haven't seen anything closely resembling evidence of anything paranormal despite experienceing lots of things similar and even wierder than this!
Old Chinese proverb (alledgedly):

Beware of what you wish for - or you may get it.

And then it may scare you half to death (if not more...)

Oh I've done the old "Sit in the dark and demand things to happen" and do Uoi Ja boards to open up things...all to no avail. I've seen lots of wierd shit and heard of haunted houses only to have stayed there loads of time and for many days and nothing happen. Sigh......
Come on.... Scientists may be wankers but they're not stupid enough to ignore something so full of potential!

About twenty years ago, clothing I'd taken into my house caused their owner (deceased) to physically appear. Whether or not the clothing was haunted, or if it merely acted as a beacon to their previous owner, is open to conjecture.

The clothing in question was several pairs of men's trousers which I'd agreed to alter for a woman I knew very slightly. I believed the trousers belonged to her husband.

I didn't really want to do the alterations and for a few days I left them in cardboard cartons which I'd placed on an unused chair immediately upon returning home with the trousers.

Finally, I decided I'd better get to work on the alterations; it was an hour or so before midnight. I altered a couple of pairs of the trousers, pressed them and hung them to air. Then made a cup of tea and carried it to the adjoining room, where I sat in the semi-darkness, smoking a cigarette and mentally organising the next day's tasks.

At some point, I became aware of a man standing on the other side of the room. He was a stranger. The doors and windows were closed.

I experienced no emotion; no curiosity, no fear. It was as if my mind was a camera, recording without thought. I didn't speak to the man, nor he to me. He was standing in semi-profile and appeared to be deep in thought or puzzled about something. His hand was raised to his face, resting on the side of one cheek, the way some people do when they're thinking or trying to work something out. He was concentrating on something further down the wall from where he stood.

He was tall, dressed in long, dark trousers and a white, long-sleeved shirt. He had a bit of a pot-belly, just a slight one. He had a lovely complexion with a spot of colour in his cheek, deeply coloured lips and eyes and dark, shiny dark hair parted on one side.

When I awoke the next day, I remembered nothing about the experience initially and went on with the usual tasks. The house was tidy as always; the sewing machine and ironing board which I'd used the night before to alter the trousers, were both stored away in their usual spots. All my sewing equipment was also stored safely away where my young children could not reach it.

Later that morning my sister in law came to collect me as arranged. I put the altered and pressed trousers in her car and we set off. Half way through the drive I suddenly remembered the man I'd seen in the living-room the night before. I immediately related the experience to my sister in law and naturally described his appearance. It was only then that I realised I had no memory of anything that occurred after seeing the man. I couldn't remember how or when he'd departed. Nor could I remember my reactions afterwards. I had no memory of rising from the couch and putting the sewing machine, ironing board and other things away. I had no memory of preparing for bed, brushing my teeth, undressing, turning off the lights, checking on my sleeping children, etc.

Before I had time to think about what had happened, my sister in law and I reached one of the several destinations planned for that day. One of these was the home of the woman for whom I'd altered the trousers.

When I delivered the trousers to the woman in question, she informed my sister in law and I that her pregnant daughter would very soon be coming to live with her. During this conversation, the woman went to another room and returned with a framed photograph, which she handed to my sister in law. I looked over my sister in law's shoulder and saw the photo was of a bride and groom. Closest to the camera was the bride. It was an informal photo, taken in a garden. The groom was the man I'd seen in my living-room the night before. In the photo, he stood in semi-profile, as he had when I'd seen him. In the photo, his jacket was open and I could see the slight pot-belly. Everything about him was the same as the man I'd seen, except in the photo he was smiling, whereas when I'd seen him, he'd looked thoughtful, puzzled. He was the son-in-law of the woman in whose house I now sat and for whom I'd altered the trousers.

The woman said her daughter (the bride in the photo) was due to have her baby in a few weeks. At that point, I still thought the trousers I'd altered belonged to the husband of the older woman. But she informed me that the trousers in fact belonged to her son-in-law; the groom in the photo we'd just seen. Then she told me her son-in-law had died several months earlier, when her daughter was only a few months pregnant.

Apparently teh son-in-law had been mowing the lawns of his home, after which he'd gone for a rest on a chair on the verandah. It was a hot day and he'd appeared to fall asleep. When it began to grow cool, his pregnant wife had gone to wake him, only to discover he was dead.

His mother in law told me that doctors had later revealed that he'd been dead for quite some time before this was discovered by his wife. No cause of death had been discovered, according to his mother in law, who added that her son-in-law's organs were still undergoing tests in a laboratory. Then she revealed that the trousers I'd altered had belonged to her son-in-law.

After her husband died suddenly and unexpectedly, his bride had decided to move to her parents' home in order to be with them when she had her baby. In the months after her husband's death, she had been required to deal with numerous financial and other matters, one of which was disposal of her deceased husband's clothes. She had sent many of these to her father, who in turn had asked his wife to shorten the length of the trousers for him. His wife had postponed doing so. Finally she'd asked my sister in law to recommend someone to undertake the task, and this is how the job had fallen to me. I had received the trousers (approx. twelve in total) in two cardboard cartons, which I'd placed on a spare chair. While they remained in boxes on the chair, I had not seen the man. It was only when I sewed and ironed the trousers that he'd made his appearance. Maybe my physical interaction with the garments precipitated his appearance, or maybe this had nothing to do with it and I was rendered receptive to his presence because of the quiet state of mind I was in when engaged in the task.

I have no doubt at all that I saw the man. I was not dreaming, did not imagine him. I had no way of knowing whose trousers they were and to be quite honest, I had no interest in their owner, whom I naturally assumed to be the middle-aged husband of the older woman. I didn't really want to do the alterations. I didn't know their owner; had never heard of him or of his death or of his wife or any detail of the story. To me, there were twelve pairs of men's trousers in boxes and I just wanted to get them finished and out of the way. I simply sat down in my own living room to take a short break from such a boring, ill-paid job, and next thing, a man was standing there.

I didn't finish the rest of the trousers, nor did I ever see their real owner again. Once I learned who the real owner was and heard about the way he'd died, the only explanation I could find for his choosing to appear in my home was that he'd possibly failed to realise he was dead and had in some way followed his clothing to his mother-in-law's home and thence to mine.

I am unable to explain why I didn't scream in shock when I saw him. But as I say, I can't remember feeling anything at all. I feel now that what had held his attention and puzzled him were the two cartons of his trousers on the chair a few metres from where he'd been standing when I saw him.

Nearly two decades after the event, additional memories of the experience began to emerge, of the man turning towards me in an unpleasant semi-crouch. And I remember being up near the ceiling and seeing myself seated below on the couch and seeing the back of the man's head and where his hair was thinning. From the front, in my original memory, his hair had appeared very thick and shiny.

I've thought of going to a hypnotherapist in order to retrieve the experience fully, but I don't think I want to know; I think it would be frightening.

But as there was no possible connection between the man and myself, other than his trousers, it would seem that it was a case of haunted clothing. I posted the experience once before.

Back