• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Electrical Equipment

dirtybob2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Anybody else ever had stereos turn themselves on and start playing stuff?
If they have, any ideas how it happens, and if it is ghosts how do they know how it works?:confused:

No, but I've heard about BMWs (motorcycles) starting up on their own. Something to do with water getting in somewhere.

My Ex's kettle kept turning itself on with a very audible click.

She also had haunted pot plants. They used to shiver as if they were in a draught, but no draught was evident.

Ghostly electronics.....

One of my computers switches itself on, on occasion. I'ts an old one without an ATX power supply so it shouldn't be able to do it. I've checked things like the Scheduler agent, and this is all disabled. It doesn't bother me too much though, as pcs will be pcs, and quite often they demand a life of their own.

Moggadon

Without ATX, now that is odd. Should try MSExorcism(tm)?

My son used to have a toy dinosaur that growled and its eyes lit up when you pressed a switch, but we could make it do it with a gas lighter (one of those sparky ones that you use when your cooker battery's gone flat).

Scary, till you realised what was making it happen!

My Mac has a nasty habit of connecting to the internet of its
own accord. No pattern of times or dates, it simply starts the
dial-up routine when I am working on other things.

Not a spook, I'm sure and it doesn't especially frighten me these
days with unlimited surftime at no extra cost. Annoying though.
:(

Once, during a terrible thunderstorm, my parent's phone started calling strangers and asking them (via the answering machine) to leave their name and number!

I remember a very confused girl saying "Mom, this strange man wants me to leave my name and number!"

There are quite a few reasons why the computer might turn itself on.

Most likely it's a faulty power switch/supply, or bad connection, but there are also features such as "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on modem" features which power the computer on if the PC detects network traffic or telephone activity, like an incoming call - mystifying to some.

The age of the PC might not preclude power-saving features - I presume you're talking about APM/ACPI. Power-saving features do pre-date the ATX design, and can cause problems with certain operating systems if they're enabled/disabled after installation.

Some PC's can power up if the space-bar is pressed. Mine occasionally has problems under Windows XP when it seems to go into standby mode - I'll sometimes find it's turned itself on some time after I've apparently done a full shutdown.

The dialout problem with the Mac is probably because you have a program that's trying to use the TCP/IP protocol, and the Mac helpfully launches dial-up networking to enable a TCP/IP connection. This happens in Windows too, and can be caused by a program in the background that starts automatically at startup (such as a file sharing program like BearShare), or by malicious programs such as spyware or viruses that attempt to transmit information over the Internet - they don't necessarily make the connection, but by attempting to use TCP/IP, they'll trigger your OS to attempt to connect a dial-up networking connection.

If you're not using a program that would trigger a TCP/IP connection, I'd suggest checking your computer for viruses and spyware utilities.

Maybe the haunted stereos have a timed play facility that I used to use to wake me up every morning - you could specify which track you wanted, and quite a complex schedule of what days the alarm was triggered. Failing that, it could be leakage from another remote control, car alarm keyfob or radio transmitter that's triggering it, or a faulty IR/RF sensor that's causing it to think you're turning it on.

Sometimes the leakage from internal radio systems such as those used by Supermarkets can cause problems with Car Alarms i.e. not being able to get into it to deposit your shopping, so it's not impossible that our increasingly noisy world is to blame.

I used to have (indeed still have somewhere) an Atari ST which about 10 minutes after powering up would go haywire. What was causing it was me moving my hands a few inches above the keyboard. For instance I would reach out above the keyboard to pick something up/ adjust the monitor and the cursor would shoot across the screen and start opening up applications and files.
A mate of mine claimed it was an excess of static and that I should have a little metal touchplate next to the Atari in order that I could discharge any excess static.
I have never experienced this before of since and only with that one Atari as another one I had worked fine.

My old car SEEMED haunted. Or it had a personality of it's own. The speedometor was digital and it would just flash random numbers, if we would get any where near a cop it would start working again. It had a tape player in it and it would always fast forward through certain songs or play some backwards. It was really funny, but I'm sure it was just our tape deck. The battery was bad, but it always waited to die until I got home. It never left me stranded anywhere. It could start up without a key which came in handy alot, but it would only do it for me. Eventualy it had to much for me to aford to fix, so I sold it to a girl I knew for really cheap. It died a week later. I loved that car.

A girl you knew for really cheap, nikita?

Aw, that's wicked. I bet she just enjoyed life. :)

Thanks to guru_saj for suggested reasons of Mac madness but
I'd eliminated those things long ago. There is no address to which
the machine connects - it just dials up. :(

Herbie complex

I used to have a VW Beetle that used to turn its windscreen whipers on when in 4th gear and refuse to turn them off unless you changed down to 3rd and back into 4th. This used to happen a couple of times a week usually on a Sunday and Tuesday and it happened during all weather all year round.

I had an auto electrician study the vehicle and he found nothing wrong dispite witnessing the event in person. He spent hours on it and was so frustrated that he couldnt solve it that he didnt charge me a penny.

When I lent the car to my father it didnt happen and when I sold it the problem didnt occur again so i assume it was linked to me somehow.

:confused: :( :confused:

When I was a teenager, in my basement every so often you'd hear a very faint "beeep..." tone, almost inaudible, making you think it was in your head. It happened only when it was very quiet, which meant you were usually alone when it happened.

It turned out it was an old toy telephone whose batteries were running out, and as it died it gave off barely audible noises. When we pressed its buttons it made the exact noise we heard.

The weird thing is that all five members of my family heard it at one time or another, but never said anything because we all thought we were going crazy XD

mum had an old car which i swear was haunted. it was a pretty old car but was pretty realliable, untill one year when it was weird, it was doing really bad and everything started to break down. we went to get it fixed but it always ended up not being fixed, and then one night, when we got home from the store it would not shut off, even after the key was out of the engine, it just kept going, it scared the crap out of me ( i was like 7) and it was just freaky. we sold it a few months later, but the day we sold it, it broke down at the dealership we were selling it at, which brought its price down quite a bit, it pissed my family off, cause we were just about to sign the papers, and it rolled in and it just broke down, so we were screwed. anyway other then that thats the only somewhat haunted thing i have, unless i've forgotten stuff

Haunted Macs

James, do you have the "software update" extension installed? This little bugger will try to call Apple's web site periodically to check for updates... (and if you let it will download anything and everything it finds regardless of whether your system needs it or not). Not one of Apple's best ideas.

Jane.

No, Mejane, it's not that extension as I tend to prune my system
of unwanted gizmos. Nor is it any visible file left behind by some
pesky trial software which tries to connect with the makers' site.

The point is that the machine merely dials up my ISP without there
being any URL specified.

I should really do a complete spring clean of the system. If it
survives that then I'd suspect a bug in Free PPP 2.6.2 or
a minor incompatibility with Mac System 7.55.

It is the lack of any pattern in these attempted connections which
makes the matter a bit mysterious. :confused:

Cars do odd things sometimes...too many moving parts. Was the car that wouldn't shut off a deisel? Those run without spark so that kind of effect caan be caused if there are combusible fumes in the area. The fumes are pulled in through the air intake and the engine keeps running.

In the space of 12 weeks in a flat in Maidstone (I was there 18 months in total), I experienced failures in:

Three TV sets (one winked off, never to come back as I was on the phone to a friend. I had told him about the two previous TV sets, and he joked about the possibility of a third - and it happened just as he said it!).

Three washing machines.

One tumble-drier.

One computer power supply.

One Economy Seven immersion system.

A fused electrical socket.

Plus a number (not outside normal range) of blown fuses and light-bulbs.

It got serious after the first two TVs and washing machines (one of each failed within 48 hours of replacing earlier units), after which the landlord brought in an electrician, who pronounced the electrical supply sound.

Most of the failures related to an outside, ground-floor wall, so I put it down to shoddy insulation. But the timing of some of the failures was interesting.

Okay, James. you've got me interested now...

There's an article on Apple's support website addressing this issue http://kbase.info.apple.com
article no.24877

Incidently, completely off-topic (again), but does the new iMac look like a giant desklamp to anyone else? Probably looks better in "real" life. :)

Back to haunted appliances (ish)... my dog George has perfected the art of changing TV channels. He's not the brightest puppy in the pound but is a strong contender for the for the waggiest tail award. He runs up and down the room and the TV changes channel, apparently in response to his movements!

Jane.

Thanks for the reference, Mejane. Unfortunately the Apple
Knowledge Base demands that I open an account. :(

Did the article name a culprit? Or was it just - as I fear - a
"known issue"?

Actually, it has been quite well behaved of late. :)

Hi James

Your computer is possibly doing this because some software application is checking for updates. Slightly less likely - an instant messages / pager is trying to connect. (Sometimes instant messagers get installed with other ISP packages ... eg Netscape and IE Explorer. If you've got Microsoft IE then try unistalling the (stupid) messenger program. Ditto Netscape.

Also try checking the preferences / options settings for any software software which would be likely to check for updates (anti-virus or firewall perhaps?).

Also examine your internet connection settings to see whether there are options which require or allow it to dial a connection if required. I'm being a bit vague because I'm mostly a Unix user (and occasionally Windows) ... but the general ideas are the same.

Good luck

Simon

old cars

Josh.. old cars & mucky fuel used to build up deposits of carbon in the cylinders, which would glow red and fire the fuel even with the ignition off (gloplug action ) causing it to run on.If you also had a mechanical fuel pump run from the engine then it would keep going & in the absence of a fuel tap, the only way o stop it was to block the air intake! Maybe this ccould offer an explanation.

Thanks for the suggestions, Simon. I think they have been
eliminated but I will do some cleaning of unwanted preference
files.

I used to be a great tryer-out of software on cover-discs till I
discovered the amount of crud they left behind. :)

Hi James, here's the text of the article

(apologies to anyone not remotely interested)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE

Mac OS: Modem Unexpectedly Dials
Article ID:24877
Created:4/15/99
Modified: 9/11/01

TOPIC

The modem may unexpectedly dial out, automatically attempting to connect to the Internet. Several things may cause this behavior.
DISCUSSION

Symptom
The modem unexpectedly dials out. This may occur at startup, after disconnecting from an Internet service provider, or at other unexpected times.

Products affected

modem
Remote Access
TCP/IP

Solution
An application or control panel setting can trigger an automatic connection to the Internet.
To prevent unexpected behavior, check the following items to be sure they are set up as you desire. Any of these items could cause automatic connection to the Internet:

An Internet application or its alias is in the Startup Items folder.
How to address: Remove undesired items from the Startup Items folder in the System Folder.
The TCP/IP control panel is set to always load.
How to address: Open the TCP/IP control panel. Choose User Mode from the Edit menu and make sure Advanced is selected. Click Options. The Options window appears. Be sure the "Load only when needed" checkbox is selected.
Web Sharing is active.
How to address: Open the Web Sharing control panel. If you use Web Sharing over a dial-up connection, be sure to click the Stop button when you are finished.
File Sharing over TCP/IP is enabled.
How to address: Open the File Sharing control panel. Look for the setting "Enable File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP." Deselect the checkbox for this feature after you finish File Sharing. If you never accept File Sharing connections over your dial-up connection, always leave this unchecked.
Email application connects to the Internet.
How to address: Go to the preferences panel in your email application. Look for an option such as "automaticlly check mail," and disable it.
The Date & Time control panel is set to "Use a Network Time Server".
How to address: To prevent undesired connections, be sure the checkbox for this feature is deselected in the Date & Time control panel.
Note: You can still synchronize manually when you are already connected to the Internet: Open the Date & Time control panel. Click the checkbox to select "Use a Network Time Server". Click the Server Options button. Click the Manually radio button. Click the Set Time Now button. Click OK. Click the checkbox for "Use a Network Time Server" again to leave the feature disabled.
The Software Update control panel is set to "Update software automatically".
How to address: Open the Software Update control panel. Deselect the checkbox for "Update software automatically".
Note: Alternatively, you can check for updates at a more convenient time by clicking the Schedule button. Set a new time by clicking on the hour, minute and AM/PM indicator and then adjusting with the up/down arrows. Check the day or days you prefer.
The Remote Access control panel is set to connect automatically.
How to address: To check this, open the Remote Access control panel and click Options. The Options window appears. Click the Protocol tab, then select the PPP protocol. Deselect the checkbox for "Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP applications". Close the Remote Access control panel.
Note: After deselecting this option, you must click "Connect" in the Remote Access control panel or the Remote Access portion of the Control Strip prior to opening your Internet applications.
Document Information
Product Area: Apple Software; Communications-Networking
Category: Internet Connection
Sub Category: General Topics
Keywords: kmos90, kmos91, kmos92

Support Site Index | Export Compliance | Help Using Web Support

Contact Us | Privacy Notice
Copyright © 2001 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
1-800-MY-APPLE

Hope this helps exocise the ghost (not that I've got anything against ghosts :) )

Jane.

BTW, registration to the Apple support site is free - you may need to go via the main site (http://www.apple.com) to obtain a password etc.

Many thanks for that, Mejane. And for the information that the
Apple support site is free. I will join up and do some browsing.

Plenty of clues to check out in the above, so I think that ghost's
days are numbered. :)

Reverend Blair said:
Cars do odd things sometimes...too many moving parts. Was the car that wouldn't shut off a deisel?

This happened with a diesel van I used to have. The only way to turn it off was to stall it!

I've often noticed the same level of reliabilty and temperamentality between cars and computers!

The house I'm in at the moment is rented. It was supposedly re-wired several years ago. When we moved in, an electrician checked things and found that the old wiring (complete with fabric sheathing instead of plastic), had been left in. The cowboys had just replaced the external sockets!!
The result; light-bulbs last a matter of weeks, and they dim when we switch on the vacuum!
Good job my computer has valves!

:)

Electricity is weird. Last year we worked in a house that still had knob and tube wiring. The reason the people had started the renovation was that the new TV kept changing channels by itself. It didn't shut off or dim or anything, just flipped through the channels.

They had returned the TV (I think they got an exchange), replaced the remote, and finally decided that the house was haunted. A friend of theirs who happened to be an electrician had heard of this kind of thing before. Without him they wuld still think they lived with a ghost who had a channel surfing fetish.

Lucky for me though...the result was a two week reno job.:D

Back