• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Hospitals!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1378346,00.html

'At least Scrooge's spectral guests came only on one Christmas eve. For staff in hospitals around Britain, visits from beyond the grave could happen any night of the year.'

We have plenty of ghost threads so I expect this one to be merged.
Those of us who've worked in hospitals and homes know how spooky they are! :shock:

A nice littel site on haunted hospitals:

http://www.forgottenoh.com/Haunts/hospitals.html

Hospitals always seem to have some sort of haunting attached to them. It makes sense; people die in them every day. What I've always wondered is, if you lived your whole life in a house and loved that house and had all your memories in that house, why would you haunt the hospital room where you spent the night before you died? Sometimes ghosts just don't make any damn sense.

According to Wiseman, shift workers are more prone to seeing or believing in strange things because they are in buildings associated in daytime with crowds and activity, but which go quiet at night and take on a more sinister aspect. "When anywhere that is usually noisy goes quiet you can hear the background noises you don't usually hear - the pipes, the building creaking, doors moving."

He also offers a more prosaic explanation. "Ghost stories are a way of passing the time," he says. "You have done the rounds, had a chat about EastEnders or whatever, and so you start telling ghost stories because they are entertaining."

from the article in OP.

Yeah I'd personally agree with pretty much everything with Wiseman says there but...

I've had a few strange things that I can't account for happen to me at work and although I'm loathe to believe in ghosts or other related phenomena, I'm fairly sure one experience was not down to a disrupted sleep pattern or working night shifts. There was also another witness to it with me at the time, they too heard the sound of heavy footsteps and running in a room directly above us and was a resident at the place.

The footsteps and running appeared to be going diagonally across the room as if someone was walking then running to one corner of the room and then back.

The person asleep in the room where the noises came from, needed assistance with their mobility due to a terminal illness and they were unable to walk and even sit up on their own without a great deal of support. I thought someone (a fellow resident) was rifling through their belongings as sometimes happens in homes and long-stay hospitals (outbreaks of petty theft).

I almost broke the speed barrier running up the stairs to the room but apart from the sleeping person there was no one else in there. In fact I even woke the person up from a deep sleep by bursting in on them. They hadn't heard anything or been disturbed until I had made a less than graceful entrance, ready to pounce on someone *messing about* in this chap's room.

If it had been someone such as a fellow resident or even an intruder (which given the security of the place a bit unlikely although not unknown) then I would have definitely either caught them in the act or caught them in the corridor and open plan landing if they had been on their way out of the room.

As it was I was working on my own on a twelve-hour night shift and the resident who heard the footfalls with me ended up being cajoled and bribed into staying up even later as I was too unnerved to be on my own. Their take on it was "Oh we hear stuff like that all the time". When I mentioned it to my manager the next morning when I handed over to her, she shrugged and said that she believed the place to be haunted. I asked why she thought that and she related that she had heard similar noises at night from rooms and upon investigation had found no one else in the area. I thanked her for not informing me of this beforehand and leaving me to work on my own knowing this, iirc she didn't get my sarcasm.

I felt very grateful not to experience anything similar afterwards but at odd times during working there I'd have daft paranoid moments of feeling uncomfortable or uneasy and another time a heavy fire door that had been *clicked* shut, opened whilst I was standing in front of it. I legged it out of the room when I ascertained that there was no one else in the corridor it lead to but I'm sure it could have any number of explanations. I suppose I was too freaked out to really look into it. Although a breeze or gust of wind might not have been possible as it was an interior corridor that didn't have any windows and with a similar door at the end.

I've seen and heard many odd things in hospitals & homes and enjoyed them greatly. Many of them are on here as I like to share!

Other peeps I've met have had much weirder experiences, including the procession of ghostly heads............. :shock:

Here's an odd'un.

http://www.strangestories.co.uk/stories/s47.shtml

Regardless of personal theories about ghosts, hospitals would naturally have more than their 'fair share' of spooks. A lot of people die, some in extremis and real pain, they might linger in agony. Over the years is it any wonder a spirit might be generated?

Taking into account long hours, emotional drain, shift-patterns etc., is it any wonder that ghosts get seen, especially in the small hours?

As a student, I used to have a regular Summer job in a big residential psychiatric hospital, which was quite a creepy place in itself - more like a strange village than a traditional hospital, with its own rec hall, shops and school, with the various wards scattered about the grounds of a big old country house which was used as an admin block.

During one of my stints there, one of the permanant residents unfortunately drowned in a pond in the grounds, and in the weeks following his death, several of the nursing staff swore blind that they'd seen this chap walking around, and in one case sitting in his usual chair on his ward. There were also various rumours about a large artificial mound in the grounds. One of the pre-hospital occupants of the house in the early 20th Century had spent time in Africa, and had come back with a group of pygmies! The mound was reputedly where they were buried, and one of them was supposed to haunt the house. I think this was just a tall tale though. The pygmies definitely existed (there's a little about them at http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1373/is_n8_v45/ai_17198987 ), but they all eventually returned to Africa.

Another one is the current youth hostel in Conwy, which wasn't a hospital, but previously served as a convalescent home for the Transport and General Workers Union. As such I would imagine that it saw its fair share of suffering and death. Built in the 60s, it's relatively modern (at least, compared to my ghostly shenanigans at Portsmouth - see threads passim), but having spent a Winter there on my own, I can attest to a strange atmosphere in certain parts of the building. There was one room in particular which had a very oppressive feel to it, and caused one of the cleaners to hand her notice in after an experience in there. She claimed that the figure of a man stepped out of a wardrobe (built into the wall rather than a separate piece of furniture), without opening the door first, and walked towards her before vanishing. Last time I stayed there, the Manager, knowing full well that I was aware of this, took great pleasure in putting me in the room, but I didn't have any nasty moments!

Stormkhan said:
Regardless of personal theories about ghosts, hospitals would naturally have more than their 'fair share' of spooks. A lot of people die, some in extremis and real pain, they might linger in agony. Over the years is it any wonder a spirit might be generated?

Taking into account long hours, emotional drain, shift-patterns etc., is it any wonder that ghosts get seen, especially in the small hours?

If the theories behind ghosts being 'recorded imprints' of traumatic events endured by the living are correct and not necessarily tied to the place you died - think a Grey Lady searching upstairs rooms as opposed to her getting stabbed in her bedchambers - then I can imagine in a few years to come, there are going to be a hell of a lot of phantom junior doctors and nurses rather that ghostly patients that were never fully disharged, if you catch my drift.

EDIT: Also, given the historical nature of a lot of hospitals - my local one for instance started out as a workhouse (on Dungeon Street no less!) then moved to a place on a hill as a bigger workhouse with facilities to treat typhus victims (a seperate facility nearby couldn't cope) - such places should be teeming with beings from the 'residual' - as Deggsy might say.

Old Whitby Psychiatric Hospital - Whitby (Ontario)

Is it haunted? Is it not? Is it a case of so many people heading to a location to see a ghost that they have created one like a "tulpa" or is it a case of hoaxers and jokers creating a ghost to scare friends?

The old (and somewhat) abandoned Whitby Psychiatric facility, like the one in Mimico in Etobicoke, is a series of older buildings that are slowly being reclaimed due to being abandoned. The site is private and is not open to the public, although this has not stopped many thrill seekers and others including a film shoot for a music video.

Built in 1919 (just after the First World War), like the other hospitals of the day, it was built to allow the patients to move and live without hindrance with a network of tunnels connecting the buildings. Over time, the structures (like most) became old and unstable and, due to the year it was constructed, had an asbestos problem. The facility was shut down and the new, modern building on the lakeshore nearby was opened in the late 1990's.

Of course, abandoned hospitals, especially psychiatric ones, always garner more attention by would-be ghost hunters then most other sites. Stories of patient abuse and other horrors soon leak out and seem to bolster the idea that the site must be haunted.

When it comes to "patient abuses", I would caution the reader that many of what was then considered adequate and proper treatments to help patients are now considered questionable, but very few times were the treatments considered (by the staff) to be "sadistic". The staff and doctors were, indeed. for the vast majority's purposes trying to help... and often did. In fact, when doing research for this piece, I found that overall, patients, nurses, general workers and doctors from the site when it was operating had very little negative to say about the site. In fact, most were happy and felt that the work, care and accommodations were excellent.

There is a well documented case of a patient killing a guard once, but this seems to be an isolated incident.

Regardless, the site soon became a popular hang-out and drinking spot for teenagers and the windows are usually smashed, graffiti adorns the walls in almost all places, fires have been started and general damage has been done.

Through all of this, there are so many reports of things going on that, to be honest, a good researcher has to more or less discount and ignore them all.

I know this sounds odd, but it is indeed the case.

The problem is, it's impossible to tell where the real information starts and the playful hoaxing begins. For every one person that feels they've experienced something, there's five people that haven't and one person who admits to hoaxing things. An intrinsic problem when dealing with a site like this. It is impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff due to the constant abuse and silliness of those that make this site a spot to gather, damage, and generally "goof around" in.

Is this site haunted? Many say yes, some have tried to bring evidence to bear, and maybe it is. Just as many say no, have admitted to doing things to hoax others and cause a general issue for would-be investigators. It is a drinking spot for some and many of those folks have attempted to create a mythos about the site to lure friends and others to it for a cheap thrill or laugh... Could they be "masking" or causing issues that have suppressed a possible real ghost? It's possible. Have people captured evidence of this? Again, it's possible, but since creating a controlled environment for data collection is impossible (being able to eliminate completely all possible natural or human caused for the anomalies), one has to take all evidence with a big grain of salt.

One thing that is clear, the site is in a bad state of decay and the walls of all the buildings contain asbestos. There is no trespassing on the site and it is not open to the public. The site is patrolled by both security guards and the police. When we spoke to people at the new facility, they made it very clear that permission to go into the site is not available and that the future of the site, because of health concerns, structural issues, and the rampant vandalism is in deep question... which is sad, as the architecture and the work done here is important.

Still, even now, people break into the site and cause issues... meaning that chances are the site will eventually be destroyed either by fire or by the wrecking ball... then it's a given, as for ghosts, we will never know if there are good, solid reports from the site.

As for ghosts, history and folklore, this is a case of thrill seekers and vandals ruining not only a "good haunt", but an important historical site that should be maintained as a reminder of our heritage.

http://www.torontoghosts.org/oshawa/wpsych.htm

I once had to go for an mri scan, here at the Yale New Haven hospital, and i guess due to the noise from the mri machines, they end up in the basement of the "Old Hospital."
As i walked to the room i was assigned to (the end one of course), i was getting extremely creeped out. Long long hallways, and the building was old and well used. Sorry, i didn't see any ghosts to report on, but i was ready for it to turn into a scene from "Jacob's Ladder" where the further i went into the basement the weirder and more dreamlike it became.. :lol:
Very Creepy!
I was thinking about how many people must have died in that building over the years.

At work we've just bought an old hospital (been in use for over 100 years) to turn into accommodation. I've roamed around all of the corridors and the dark, dingy basements but haven't seen anything more startling than a flock of electricians.

The corridors with the operating theatres will be sealed off - I don't know whether that's better or worse - now when a student hears strange noises in the night coming from the ground floor, they'll know it's from somewhere that people can't get...

Note to self: must leave some radios or similar down there so I can freak them out. :)

Steve.

Hospital Hauntings

I can remember being told loads of stories as a child in relation to hospital hauntings when my mother was nursing. (in particular, Northgate hospital and st georges hospital which is now a theatre, both in Great Yarmouth)
There were stories of patients entering private rooms. Talking to the bed ridden occupant one minute and having disappeared the next.
Nurses wandering the bays that only appear in slight glances.
There were particular wards that the night shift nurses would not go down for fear of flying objects. The sleuce room was meant to have been the most active area. The last thing anyone would want would be an attack of a flying bed pan.
Yet ward 2 at Northgate seemed to have the most colourful stories of anything not shut away or glued down being moved, chucked or sporadically disappearing.

I have seen a misty apparision at the northgate, when I was walking my ex partners dog, in front of what was then the morgue and on another occasion in the same spot, a man on a bike disappearing where there was no turnings in the grounds.
A friend of mine currently works as a nurese on the ward for elderly patients and has told me of a whisper that she and other nurses have heard, just at the moment a person passes gently away in their sleep.
She had said that the whisper is gentle, calm and soothing. Though she is not scared by this apparently alot of her other collegues are!
Are there many other hospital hauntings as it seems there is many stories attatched to theatres and pubs.
Perhaps the wards stories are kept hush hush to avoid scaring the patients.
But to this, are there any benevolent ghost tales of unexpected recoverys after patients have experienced a visit?
:?
Anyone?

We have threads about this very subject, to which I have contributed creepy stories, having worked in various care and nursing positions. ;)

The local general hoppy is just over 30 years old but is already chock-full of phantoms, if you listen to the staff's stories, and several nursing homes nearby are much newer but aparently even more heavily haunted. :D

maybe having worked managing pubs for so many years has put me in the situation where all I hear or experienced are around inns, there must be at least one story to every pub ive run. Fortunatly ive kept away from hospitals.
I do have a tendency to have had pubs that were previousy masonic lodges. :?:
or brothels near abbeys/priorys ;)
(I have worked in theatres too)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1378346,00.html

miss_scarlet said:
maybe having worked managing pubs for so many years has put me in the situation where all I hear or experienced are around inns, there must be at least one story to every pub ive run. Fortunatly ive kept away from hospitals.
I do have a tendency to have had pubs that were previousy masonic lodges. :?:
or brothels near abbeys/priorys ;)
(I have worked in theatres too)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1378346,00.html

We haven't been able to serve the page you asked for.

If you typed in a URL, please make sure you have typed it correctly. In particular, make sure that the URL you typed is all in lower case.

:(

Nope, never seen any signs of a haunted hospital unfortunately, much as I would love that. I would expect that any whispering near someone dying would be more to so with the body releasing air and settling. Death rattle is a very real thing.

Although there is frequently an ...atmosphere... over many sluice rooms. I'm sure Escargot will know what I mean!

Two haunted hospital threads merged...

I remember reading (many moons ago) in a book of various 'true' ghost stories that a wing in Good Hope Hospital, Sutton Coldfield was meant to be haunted. I can't remember the specifics of the tale unfortunately and there doesn't seem to anything on the net.

There's plenty of abandoned hospitals about, especially old asylums, and they really are spooky places. When doing a spot of "urb-ex", I recommend you go for a good poo beforehand, otherwise you will be touching cloth all the time. One good fright, say disturbing pigeons in a dark hall for example, may bring your day to an abrupt halt. And you'll be trekking back to the car on your own, no-one will be wanting to accompany someone who mings like that!!!

Apart from the understandable trepidation of being somewhere you shouldn't be, possibly structurally dangerous, and maybe the haunt (sic) of crackheads or piss-soaked tramps, some of whom will be former residents "come home" after being released into Care in the Community, I haven't anything ghostly to report, I'm afraid, probably because I am peeping through half-closed eyes and listening to the sound of my pulse pounding in my eardrums. When someone says "Listen....what was that?", I'm the first to say "Sod it, I'm off". Thankfully my mates are made of the same stuff as me and agree, not leaving me to face the dilemma of going back alone or staying in the place!
Morgues are a little atmospheric, especially if the big old porcelain slabs and sinks are still there (like in Cane Hill), but no phantoms. As for padded cells .....brrrrr!!!
That's not to say there aren't any, I tend to stick to light areas, and not venture deep inside these places, simply because I am a terminal coward, and I really don't want to cack myself in front of my mates should anything un-worldy be experienced!

http://www.sub-urban.com

As for old folks homes, my mate delivered fuel oil to an old one boarded up and awaiting redevelopment, and there was a live-in caretaker there who offered to show him round. The caretaker reported footsteps and banging doors upstairs, which he had to investigate in case they were squatters moving in, but of course he never found anything. He also said there were cold spots which moved about and lights which switched themselves on and off, usually just as he finished his late-night patrol, meaning he had to go round again, turning them off and checking for intruders. He had felt an unpleasant atmosphere in the old day lounge, but simply stayed out of there and made his living room elsewhere. A braver man than I, or my mate, who he offered to come back one night and experience some of these things himself.
Asked if he was frightened by such occurences, the caretaker shrugged and said that it was the living that scared him, the thought of disturbing a gang of pikeys levering the fireplaces off, rather than the undead. A pretty rare sort of individual, I'd say, who spends his life living in old buildings simply to keep heating systems running and deter squatters/vandals, someone content to have very little contact with people unless they were making deliveries.

My husband worked in a haunted pathology laboratory in a building near Worthing Hospital in the 1970s. Often when the staff came started work in the mornings heavy equipment, like huge containers of chemicals that took 2 people to shift, would have been moved across the room. People working in the lab alone, especially at night would experince creepy things. One technician was working late and alone. He went to the toilet and was standing there doing his thing when he felt cool air on the back of his neck behind him as the door slowly opened and the light switch suddengly turned off. He refused to ever work late there after that. One evening my husand was taking a short cut past the lab on an extremely dark moonless night cursing because he fotgot to take a torch when he saw a glowing figure just standing looking at him. Popular gossip at the time was that the building has been used to house German prisoners during WWII and that one had died in the building. He was known as "Fritz" and the hauntings were put down to him.

A family friend told my Dad years ago that when he'd been having treatment in one of the old wards at Heatherwood Hospital (in Ascot), he'd seen a nurse in an old-fashioned 1920's uniform.
She came round to check on patients, carrying an old lamp, then walked through a wall.
The friend discussed it with the staff, who confirmed that all kinds of weird stuff had happened there - other people had seen it before.

I worked a while back at Barts in the City of London - founded in 1123 by the monk Rahere - there were no ghosts that anyone ever mentioned but I did hear that patients notes, test results and x rays often mysteriously disappeared although that might have had a more mundane explanation.

-

I've been a bit of frequent visitor to Northampton hospital over the last couple of years. On my first visit I was very poorly and ended up in intensive care. I was on a lot of morphine which may (probably?) be the cause of the following. I was aware of people all round my bed poking and prodding me. I wasn't scared I just wanted them to go away as they were keeping me awake. Maybe the morphine or someone else suggested my guardian angels... I dunno

The other one that happened is a bit odder as I don't think I was on any drugs at the time. Again ~I wasn't at all scared. It happened for a couple of days while I was in waiting for another operation. Whenever I was half asleep I felt that I was in a different time maybe a week before of after when I was in. I can quite clearly remember different people in all of the beds around me. Whenever I was fully awake everything was normal but whenever half asleep (def not asleep though) I slipped to the other time. Bit weird but not scary!

My mother had to be rushed to hospital with a broken hip about 5 years ago and after an emergency hip replacement she was moved from the hospital wherethe operation took place to one a couple of miles away - this was in Blackpool - to recuperate.
I visited and was struck by how like a converted monastery or conven t the place was - there was some reference to St Benedict, I believe, and a kind of Victorian Gothic look to it but frankly I was too worried about my Mum to take much in. When I got to her ward, the first thing that struck me was that it had an "atmosphere" that began at the door and changed abruptly the moment you stepped out into the corridor. Difficult to describe, not exactly eerie but the corridor felt "normal" and the ward felt as if layers of time/space had lots of things going on in them simultaneously - a "bustling" feeling, even when there was nothing happening there. It was a small side ward that only held two patients and both my Mum and another lady were convalescing quite peacefully. Now, Mum has always claimed to be psychic, and she commented, unprompted, of how there seemed to be "another" hospital over the curent one. She had seen two children in Victorian clothes by her bed, smiling, who said that they worked there and had no mother. They weren't threatening or anything and appeared perfectly solid. Now, even allowing for the effects of morphine, which she was using in small amounts, that's pretty interesting, I think. My feeling was that the place had once been a Church workhouse or something similar, with a strict work ethic but no cruelty involved. My researches threw up nothing like this but I want to pursue it some more :D

i visited caisters abandoned hospital/asylum the other week pretty spooky place but found no ghosts wondering around we did get followed around the site by a strange looking guy we just ignored him as we were'nt sure wether he was one of the former Patients :shock:

My son had a spell in hospital a couple of years ago. The hospital was relitively new (20 years old). He had been put in a small room on his own in the corner of the ward. Outside his room there was a corridor that led to an unused section of the ward that had been locked off for refurbishment. He had problems sleeping with the noise and so he lay awake watching through the open door of his room. About three in the morning he saw an old man in a hospital gown come through the locked door from the corridor and stand in the doorway to his room. He saw the old man clearly, he was pushing a stand with a plasma bag attatched to it (like a lot of the other patients on the ward) and seemed very solid and 3-D. He looked at my son and smiled before vanishing in front of him. My son was very distressed at this and asked to be moved to another part of the ward, which the nurses were happy to do, they did not dismiss his sighting or try to explain it away as a side effect of drugs, in fact one of the nurses confided in me, saying that the staff were familiar with the old man who had died there some years ago.
There is a Tesco store locally that is built on the site of a Victorian childrens hospital. When the site was being cleared a friend of mine who lived next to the site in a flat told me that she saw and heard children playing on the site at the weekend and the evenings, she even called the police out , worried for the childrens saftey, but no children were ever caught playing there. Now trolleys will glide off on their own around the store and there is a cold spot at the back (under a heating vent!!) as well as packets falling off shelves (especially sweets, cakes and biscuits).

Just came across this old post of mine, on the 'Where would you haunt?' thread.

15-12-2001 23:49

I saw a hospital ghost today!
I was walking along a corridor behind a woman (not a nurse) when she went past a stack of those red plastic chairs. The top one suddenly slid off and fell against her- then onto the floor, because she wasn't there! She vanished before my eyes. No doors nearby. I did a quick search around and nobody was around that end of the ward. So I replaced the chair and went about my proper business.
This was about 10 this morning, no drink taken. I'm delighted.

I remember this very well. The woman had a long pale coat on, with a hood which was up so I couldn't see her hair. I saw her legs and feet, and thougt at the time that she must be a nurse going off-duty. Funny that she had her hood up indoors though.

When she approached the stack of chairs, the top one vibrated and rattled back and forth before pitching forward onto the woman. I can't imagine how it could fall off on its own.

I've told this story before on other threads, but it certainly deserves to be included here:

When my late Dad lay dying in a hospital hospice unit in Covington, Kentucky, in July, 1995, I got into a discussion with the floor physician concerning life-after-death.

He turned out to be a convinced Survivalist.

"I'm both surprised and elated to hear you talk this way, Doctor," I said. "I'd thought that being around all this death and dying might have turned you into something of a Materialist."

"Oh, not at all," he answered. "It's entirely the other way around. You have to understand....that....we....SEE....things....here."

The chief ward nurse, seated at her desk about four feet away, silently nodded her head up and down in agreement.

Back