• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Hospitals!

The Royal National Hospital was opened in 1867 to deal with tuberculosis and other chest diseases. Again, the climate of the area was an important factor in its choice of location. The Hospital continued its vital work rehabilitating patients for over a century, until advances in medicine and the decline in these diseases resulted in its closure in 1969.

When the builders in 1969 were told that they were going to be knocking it down, strange things began to happen. The machinary they used broke in unusual ways. So, the builders had to use their hands and other tools. Halfway through, one of the men claimed to have seen a little girl in a night dress, standing with a teddybear in her arms. Then she slowly faded away.

It's now a garden place where you can walk around and that, and there have been more reports of sightings and strange goings on. I myself have been there, and I'm still sure to this day that I saw an outline of a ghost coming towards me.

Not a haunted hospital, but a care home. I've recently gone back to care work and was today sent to a home in a town some miles away. The staff were delighted to describe the various sightings and other available phenomena. :D

The top floor is supposed to be heavily haunted, with workers often having hair pulled, clothing twitched etc. Successive residents in one particular room there have had sweets stolen when nobody's around: some have seen children in the act. When there were no children there.
Adult figures have been seen sitting on beds and chairs.
Guess who volunteered to work up there alone! ;)

An old geezer with a room on the ground floor used to complain about the sounds of horses at night - neighing, snorting, hooves etc. Turns out that his room was originally part of the stables.

I'm back there tomorrow and probably again in the future so let's hope I'm thoroughly haunted. Fingers crossed. 8)

Hospital calls in exorcist after ghost spotted
A hospital has called in an exorcist after staff claimed they were being haunted by a ghost.

By Chris Irvine
Last Updated: 7:52AM GMT 30 Jan 2009

Staff at Derby's new City General, soon to be renamed the Royal Hospital, which is built on the original City General site, claim a black-clad figure wearing a cloak is stalking the corridors and wards.

Senior manager Debbie Butler has now reportedly briefed the terrified employees via email, explaining that they have hired an exorcist to come and rid the £334 million hospital of their unwanted visitor.

She explained: "I'm not sure how many of you are aware that some members of staff have reported seeing a ghost.

"I'm taking it seriously as the last thing I want is staff feeling uneasy."

She added: "I don't want to scare anyone any more than necessary, but felt it was best I made you all aware of the situation and what we are doing about it.

"I've spoken to the Trust's chaplain and she is going to arrange for someone from the cathedral to exorcise the department."

One source told The Sun: "There have been dozens of sightings over recent weeks and people are scared witless.

"Several have seen a male figure cloaked from had to toe in black darting between rooms and through walls - especially in departments near the morgue.

"It's affected morale so much that bosses decided they had to act."

The Catholic Church only uses exorcism as a last resort and the ritual must be pre-approved by a bishop.

A spokesman for the Bishop of Derby said: "Any case such as this is put to the Bishop.

"He would seek proper advice before taking action."

One theory is the figure could be the ghost of a Roman soldier killed on the spot where the original hospital was built in the 1920s.

Developers ignored protests covering over part of one of Ancient Britain's main Roman Roads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... otted.html

I know of two haunted tales regarding hospitals/nursing homes.

The first happened in my home town. There is a large private nursing home which at one time was used for patients of a less than stable nature. (One sad memory I have is of a patient killing himslef by headbutting a pointy metal railing.) The building is a massive, gothic style mansion.

Not that many years ago (around 15 years ago if I recall correctly), an elderly man disapperaed from his room one night and a massive search was launched the next day including the grounds and surrounding town. He couldn't be found and the nursing home was in disgrace.

Approximately one week later, a nurse in the grounds spotted him looking out of an attic window. She ran up the stairs but found to her surprise that the attic door was blocked with piles of old dusty junk, boxes etc. She called for help and everything was cleared away. The door was locked so the lock was smashed and they entered the room. There he was, looking bright and cheery, none the worse for wear.

When they asked him what had happened, he replied that a nurse he had never seen before came and woke him up and led him into this room. He reported that she wore a different uniform to the other nurses. She had been visiting him every day bringing food and drink and singing too him, songs he remembered from childhood. The room was a typical attic room, dusty, cold and bare but for some reason it did have an old single bed in it.

He had somehow survived a week in the attic. How did he get into a locked room with a blocked door? Was a ghostly nurse looking after him? Or was she a real person with a sinister hidden agenda?

The other story is this. In the town I live in now, an old, sprawling hospital has recently been converted into office spaces. One floor used to be the Maternity Ward and the people who work there have reported seeing a nurse's body hanging from a noose in the stairwell.

The interesting fact is that a nurse did indeed kill herslef there, back in the early 1900's. She was in charge of the night shift and one night a young girl was brought in about to have a baby. For one reason or another, the girl died during childbirth and the baby was stillborn. Blaming herself for the loss of both mother and child, the nurse hung herself from the railing in the stairwell.

if you want a haunting experience, go to the Alexian Brothers hospital outside Chicago. it's an old hospital with very small rooms. i spent a very grueling night there sitting up bedside.
i kept going to the doorway to check the hall, things were moving in the hallway (nothing visible) kept hearing whispering, cold drafts blowing thru otherwise stuffy room, curtains moving, small random things falling off counters, and just that deadly feeling i was not alone. :shock:
for added freak out, i looked across a small courtyard into
another hospital building and there looking out the window was a nun in an old style habit. a nun "staring back at me" at
3 am!...at that point i just gave up, pulled my chair into the corner and waited for daylight.

That's a whole threadful of haunting in one night. :D
I hope whoever you were sitting with recovered, and appreciated your effort.

I've posted this before under another name.

When I worked in a Nursing home the residents on the 1st and 2nd floor, particularly in room 7, (around 3 of them whilst I was there and mostly dementia patients), would complain about the children that would keep them awake all night. One resident used to talk about the "2 children who used to stare at her from the end of the bed".

One guy I woke up in the morning, shouted at me "Why can't you shut those bloody kids up!?" I asked him what he meant he said, (this was in one of his moments of lucidity), "they kept running up and down the stairs all night and kept me awake!".

The nursing home had been a school many years before.

*nods*

Yup, I posted a year or two ago about an elderly gent in a care home I worked in who complained of being disturbed by the sounds of horses in his room at night.
His room was in an extension built over the old stables... :shock:

Recently heard a tale from a nurse about a Learning Disabilities home in the North of England. In one of the lounges all the furniture migrates to the center of the room during the night when it's shut off and nobody has access. She reckoned most nights she'd find the furniture piled together in a triangle shape.

Recently heard a tale from a nurse about a Learning Disabilities home in the North of England. In one of the lounges all the furniture migrates to the center of the room during the night when it's shut off and nobody has access. She reckoned most nights she'd find the furniture piled together in a triangle shape.

That's fantastic, I'd work there!

That's cool! Ask her to set up a camera to film it.

My Mum's just called me from her hospital bed, she called me on video skype by accident so didn't realise this until I told her I was watching a live video of her bed sheets .. after talking her into letting me see her face (she was embarrassed because her hair wasn't brushed but naturally I told her she looked lovely) .. then she asked me what the loud music and then loud talking was in the background. There wasn't any, I'm sitting in our completely quiet living room, the Mrs was two rooms away in the kitchen .. so I've told her it's a haunted hospital phone call and she told me to shut up .. a bit weird though? .. I called my Sister afterwards to tell her about the call, she's on a rare noisy girl's night out with her mates. Odd.

My Mum's just called me from her hospital bed, she called me on video skype by accident so didn't realise this until I told her I was watching a live video of her bed sheets .. after talking her into letting me see her face (she was embarrassed because her hair wasn't brushed but naturally I told her she looked lovely) .. then she asked me what the loud music and then loud talking was in the background. There wasn't any, I'm sitting in our completely quiet living room, the Mrs was two rooms away in the kitchen .. so I've told her it's a haunted hospital phone call and she told me to shut up .. a bit weird though? .. I called my Sister afterwards to tell her about the call, she's on a rare noisy girl's night out with her mates. Odd.
Hope your mum get well soon.

It might be because microphones can pick up more than we can hear. I've seen videos on YT filmed inside apartments where the background noise from the street outside is almost annoying. I guess the owners of the videos are getting used to it and doesn't notice or it's the mic on the telephone which are capable of recording it.

Hope your mum get well soon.

It might be because microphones can pick up more than we can hear. I've seen videos on YT filmed inside apartments where the background noise from the street outside is almost annoying. I guess the owners of the videos are getting used to it and doesn't notice or it's the mic on the telephone which are capable of recording it.
Thanks for the well wishes for my Mum Vardy and yes, I reckon it's just interference .. but it's more fun to tell her the wards haunted.

Best hopes for your fun mun.

Back