• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Hotels

There was a nice story on the Tim Vine show yesterday told by a now retired aerial fitter/satellite tv man.

He called at a hotel to check the aerial etc. The receptionist started chatting & asked him if he'd ever noticed ghostly goings on in his previous visits, as several guests had mentioned voices in the night when things were really quiet & they couldn't figure out where they were coming from. He hadn't.

He went up to the attic & once in there, sure enough he could hear faint voices. As he went down the attic towards the aerial fittings the voices grew more audible.

When he got to the aerial he found the portable tv set he'd used 6 months earlier to test picture quality, still switched on.

I see the Express cocked up the spelling in the headline again.
Editor must be on holiday.

It's not only the misspelling, but the implication that there is such a creature as a "polite masturbating monkey" that contributes to the special quality of this headline.

It was probably just Swifty on holiday dressed in a sheet after drinking a gallon of farm cider.
Just down the road and that's the first I've ever hear of it and I've been round the place several times. Once, on a wet day with the Coalettes, we got to see in the Priest Hole (behave)... No monkey, sadly. The insides and outsides crop up quite often in TV shows, Midsummer and so on.

(Part 1 of 2)

Back in the summer, the wife and I were fortunate enough to have been invited to a wedding just outside of Stow on the Wold, in the lovely Cotswolds. The drystone walls, the cozy pubs = We LOVE it round there and were very much looking forward to it.

Being the resourceful type, my wife pre-booked our accommodation very early on with a plan to stay in the same “boutique” b&b inn on the night before and the night of the wedding. Being less than a mile away from the venue, this suited us down to a tee and would ensure we’d make said event (we have a bad rep for timeliness ).

With the wedding fast approaching, less than 3 months away, the bride-to-be dropped the wife and I a FB messenger chat (why anyone chooses to use this monstrosity of an app goes beyond me) asking if we’d like a room at the wedding venue. The only snag: it was for the night of the wedding only. We gratefully accepted her kind offer as it made the logistics of “doing a sneaky swerve” straight into bed, so much easier . But it presentented us with another issue: the previously booked inn 1 mile away had a 2 night minumum stay over the weekend policy. We needed a new home the night before...

Late summer in the Cotswolds with limited notice left us with thin choices. But out of the blue, my wife announced she’d found somewhere & booked it. Being a typical bloke, I didn’t bother to ask her what / where as I’d get to it nearer the time.

With 3 days to go (Wedding on a Saturday, staying in the Cotswolds Friday & Saturday) it was time to get my bearings for the trip ahead and ask my wife where we were staying etc.

Now... at this stage it’s probably best that I inform you that my wife is totally freaked out by suggestions of spookiness / ghosts etc. One of our early movie dates was “The Others” and she planted her head into my shoulder for the entire movie (there was upside in the courting period ). I can’t even joke about this sort of thing with her even today, which is extremely difficult for a natural prankster like me. She’ll laugh at Freddy Krueger, be v bored by it even, hence the fear is very specific. Anyway....

So..... my wife tells me we’re staying at The Ragged Cot in Minchampton (http://www.theraggedcot.co.uk/). It’s a lovely place BUT.... I’m searching via Google ofcourse and in the drop down of top related searches, clear as day is:

the ragged cot haunted - Indeed there is an interesting, if gruesome backstory to the Ragged Cot which I’ll allow you to check out at your own leisure (I’ve waffled on too much as it is to add all the details here ).

But what was I to do? If I let my wife know, there was absolutely no way we’d be staying there. NO F’ING WAY. And with such short notice we’d have nowhere to stay the Friday night, exponentially increasing the chances of us missing the wedding the next day (trust me!). Besides, these stories are only a bit of fun aren’t they? They seem to do the job of attracting curious tourists for a pie and a pint too...

So I did what any decent guy would do - I didn’t say anything to my wife.

So as planned, we set off mid Friday afternoon, bracing ourselves for a battle along the M4 to reach our interim destination: The Ragged Cot

(Did the wife find out? Did we even get to stay? Or was it all much ado about nothing? Look out for part 2 over the next few days where I describe how events unfolded... )

Last edited:
Our first house had a ghost I would see it every day or two sometimes 3 times a day
but I did not think my wife would want to live there if she knew so said nothing, fast
forward over 40 years coming home to were we now live and on the radio was a story
of a haunted house, Our first house was haunted says I, that bloody little black cat says
she, she had been seeing it all along and not told me.

I would love to live back in that house now but at the time I never thought anything about
it when we moved.

Last edited:
I think this could be the headline of the year.

Ghost of rude masterbating monkey shocks visitors to stately home in Dorset

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/696974/Ghost-rude-monkey-shocks-visitors-stately-home-Dorset

I first came across the expression “old maids leading apes in hell" in reference to an apparitional pair at Berry Pomeroy Castle, near Totnes, Devon. Shakespeare evidently uses the expression in two of his plays, which was a well-known sexual euphemism in Tudor times, the ape (or monkey) representing fornication. Interpretations vary somewhat: either it was the punishment of old maids (virgin spinsters) who refrained from sexual relations in life, hence were doomed to bang apes in hell (to put it rather crudely); or it stood for the sin-inducing actions of some women, who by choosing not to marry, led men into danger of becoming fornicators (apes) by seeking sexual reward outside of wedlock.
Either way, apes are symbols. Berry Pomeroy's ape has been interpreted as representing the sexual frustration of the associated female ghost, whose torment continues after death. Which makes some sense of the Dorset apparition, if viewed as a symbolic rather than literal representation (an approach, I have found, that makes intuitive sense of a number of apparitional encounters).

http://www.ephemera-society.org.uk/queries/2007/q6_08.html
http://ollishakespeare.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/scholars-on-meaning-of-lead-apes-in-hell.html
http://hauntedearthghostvideos.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/men-apes-monkeys-and-paranormal.html

I've just found this documentary on haunted hotels, I haven't watched it yet ..

Paranormal Lockdown visited Anderson Hotel in Anderson, Kentucky.

One of those top 15 youtube videos, this one detailing haunted hotels ..

So..... my wife tells me we’re staying at The Ragged Cot in Minchampton (http://www.theraggedcot.co.uk/). It’s a lovely place BUT.... I’m searching via Google ofcourse and in the drop down of top related searches, clear as day is:

the ragged cot haunted - Indeed there is an interesting, if gruesome backstory to the Ragged Cot which I’ll allow you to check out at your own leisure (I’ve waffled on too much as it is to add all the details here ).

But what was I to do? If I let my wife know, there was absolutely no way we’d be staying there. NO F’ING WAY. And with such short notice we’d have nowhere to stay the Friday night, exponentially increasing the chances of us missing the wedding the next day (trust me!). Besides, these stories are only a bit of fun aren’t they? They seem to do the job of attracting curious tourists for a pie and a pint too...

So I did what any decent guy would do - I didn’t say anything to my wife.

So as planned, we set off mid Friday afternoon, bracing ourselves for a battle along the M4 to reach our interim destination: The Ragged Cot

(Did the wife find out? Did we even get to stay? Or was it all much ado about nothing? Look out for part 2 over the next few days where I describe how events unfolded... )

As short pamplet on The Ragged Cot Inn and its supposed haunting here:

https://www.stroudlocalhistorysocie...ds/2016/02/Ragged-Cot-Ghosts-date-unknown.pdf

(Message me for a copy if it goes offline).

Back