• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Haunted' Painting

Artist discorvered

As some of you may know, the painting, entilted the hands resit him, was painted by Bill Stoneham. Apparently the picture was shown in chicargo and within one year, the exibitition organiser and first buyer of the painting were dead!!!!!!!

Found a bizzare, disjointed interview with the artist of the picture.
Oddly enough, he works/used to work at Cyan (the guys who made Myst). I'm a lame fan, but I don't recognize his name, not that I memorized every name of everyone who worked there.

Interview

(recent) news article on it

Threads long dead, but I posted a link to it on a mailing list I'm on, and someone, coincidentally, had read this in their paper yesterday. And since its the halloween season...

Painting Goes Bump in the Night

Re: (recent) news article on it

Piscez said:
Threads long dead, but I posted a link to it on a mailing list I'm on, and someone, coincidentally, had read this in their paper yesterday. And since its the halloween season...

Painting Goes Bump in the Night

Wow, seems like we had a part in his fame.

There's a 'haunted' picture of a gypsy girl in Maidstone museum (no word online).

I'll try to get a photo and details sometime in the not too distant.

The Yithian said:
There's a 'haunted' picture of a gypsy girl in Maidstone museum (no word online).

I'll try to get a photo and details sometime in the not to distant.

What a tease! Making me wait like that. Hmmph.

So, did the haunting painting fad disappear? I couldn't find any "real" haunted items on an Ebay search today....

Sally said:
Aww, sorry. I meant the one in the first link wasn't the 'hands resist him' painting. If it's any comfort, someone tracked down the artist - you can find him on Google and see what he has to say about it.

http://www.stonehamstudios.com/newwork.shtml

there's the artists' website but watch out...
some of his other paintings are 200 times creepier
this guy must have taken alot of lsd till he warped his mind

Cursed painting?

Does anyone recall an alleged curse relating to the retro/kitsch classic painting "The Chinese Girl" (aka 'The Green Lady') by Tretchikoff?

I seem to recall urban myths about how the painting seemed to cause fires in houses where it hung, but seeing as it is reportedly the biggest selling print of all time the law of averages would seem to dictate that it would feature in several house fires.

I have googled but found nothing - a Nationwide report seems to ring bells in the late 70's/early 80's, but I am more than happy to be mistaken.

I think any house that still possesses a Trechnikoff wants burning down !! :x

It seemed every one in the seventies had a Trechikoff hung or hidden somewhere, either the "Green Lady" or "Crying Boy".

Thankfully i never grew up having to stare at one every day, athough possibly worse our alcoves and chimmney breast were covered in Brass !! real 70's thing. Imgine any TV house make over programe suggesting Trechnikoff's and Brass swords and shields as the next phase in interior decorations. They'd be shot ! :lol:

In fact one of my mates as a Trechnikoff (The Green Lady) hanging next to a Francis Bacon in his hall way which greets you as soon as you enter the house. A perfect touch of irony ! 8) !

HG Wells in his short stories wrote one about a cursed painting. It's very good and seems to be a fairly common part of folklore/literature. Just look at Dorian Grey.

creepy painting

link

I think this article says it all really. The painting itself sends shivers down my spine. According to my ex-girlfriend's mum (a medium and a psychic) the picture is geuinely haunted...has anyone else heard about this? It's been circulating for a while.

edited by TheQuixote: created hyperlink to prevent pagebreak

From the above link:

"A new Epson printer that ate and mutilated page after page when the user tried to download images of the painting."

That's pretty standard behaviour for a new Epson printer, actually.

I find the boy particularly disturbing; he has the grim face of a convict.

The owner himself says he has not had any supernatural events.

Disturbing picture though

I find it really unsettling... teh boys face, the wiedr lighting, somethgin just isnt "right" wth it. :x

Indigochild - yeah it is a weird painting, I don't think I'd like to have it hanging on my wall! ;)

Check out this page from the Museum of Hoaxes for some more info, it also has a link to the artist's homepage where you can see some of his other work.

That painting really freaked me out! It was the blank expression of the boy that freaked me the most. Even though I know it's not at all haunted, I can't stand to look at it for more than a few moments. I guess i'm highly susceptible to suggestion or something! But I just had a shower, and I couldn't bear to close my eyes because I kept imagining the boy and the girl/doll standing outside the cubicle! And it's the middle of the day as well, I dread to think what i'll be like tonight when it's dark and I'm trying to get to sleep!

Riverfern, I've been in that situation so many times I've had to establish rules to prevent night terror. Certain kinds of books not to be read after supper, certain kinds of movies never to be watched, etc. Distract yourself with something really happy and silly between now and dark, and spend the last half hour before sleep reading an established comfort book that always makes you feel good. I like Moomin books for this purpose, but familiar domestic novels (in my case, Little Women) will also do the trick if Hattifatteners creep you out. Or Winnie the Pooh - that's excellent. But you know your own comfort literature.

There's no accounting for taste. I wouldn't hang such a picture on the wall, but in an abstract way the techniques for manufacturing haunting phenomena and creating an emotional/psychological response which the painting itself doesn't merit by placing it in a particular context (i.e., telling stories about it) is interesting. When you think about it, a hoax is a way of manifesting fiction in the real world, isn't it?

I prefer RPGs, but I see the appeal here without sharing it.

PeniG said:
Distract yourself with something really happy and silly between now and dark, and spend the last half hour before sleep reading an established comfort book that always makes you feel good. I like Moomin books for this purpose...

The moomin cut-out animated series freaked me out as a child - I'd love to get ahold of it now, but I can only find the cartoon-animated one from a couple of years ago :(

I was fine looking at the painting this morning, but I just came back to it to show the boyfriend and now it's freaking me out (especially as I was telling him the supposed haunting that goes with it).... brrrr.

Re: creepy painting

Mogman~ said:
link

I think this article says it all really. The painting itself sends shivers down my spine. According to my ex-girlfriend's mum (a medium and a psychic) the picture is geuinely haunted...has anyone else heard about this? It's been circulating for a while.

edited by TheQuixote: created hyperlink to prevent pagebreak

That was one seriously f**ked up picture, with the little kid. :shock:

Re: Green woman painting

austen27 said:
I have just been looking for any pictures of the green lady on the web and I can't find any at all! They used to be every where.
Revealed after 60 years... the real Green Lady whose face is on a million living room walls
By Dan Newling
Last updated at 1:16 AM on 4th June 2011

The flowing black locks are instantly recognisable, as are the flared nostrils and ruby lips.
But thankfully, her skin has lost its emerald glow.
This is Monika Pon, the Green Lady whose face has adorned millions of British sitting-room walls.

The Daily Mail this week tracked her down at her home in South Africa and discovered the true story behind the world’s most reproduced painting.
Its artist, Russian-born Vladimir Tretchikoff, always claimed his subject was a woman he met in San Francisco.

In fact it was 17-year-old Monika Sing-Lee, who was a single girl working in her uncle’s laundry in Cape Town in the early 1950s when Tretchikoff heard of her beauty from a friend.
‘He walked in, stared at me and said, “Hello, I’m Tretchikoff. I would like to paint you. Would you sit for me?”,’ recalled Mrs Pon, now in her mid-70s.
‘I didn’t know what to say – I was very naive about these sorts of things. I had been told by men that I was beautiful and sexy, and my friends said when I walked down the street everyone noticed me.
‘But growing up in the apartheid era, everyone hated the Chinese and at home I was called “flat face”. So I never felt pretty.’

Nonetheless she agreed and, for two days a week over the following ten weeks, Monika posed for the Russian artist and 15 of his students in the sessions which produced the picture officially titled The Chinese Girl.
‘I would sit on a little stage, which was slightly raised,’ she recalls. ‘I wore a pure silk jacket that belonged to his wife. In the picture it’s a different colour to how it was in real life. But it’s the same one.
‘He was handsome and attractive and he made me laugh. We had such fun. But he was always a gentleman to me.’

Tretchikoff paid her just over six South African pounds for her time: a fee equivalent to around £130 now.
Monika was happy with the money but the painting, when she eventually saw it, did not impress her.
‘To be honest, I didn’t like that green face,’ she said. ‘I thought it made me look ill.’

She went on to marry commercial traveller Pon Su-Suan and have five children, but they parted 40 years ago and she spent much of her life in poverty, working in a fish-and-chip shop and as a seamstress.

Meanwhile Tretchikoff went from strength to strength. While loathed by art critics, his garish paintings were hugely popular in the drab post-war years.
He made millions selling cheap reproductions of his work direct to the public.

And of all his pictures, it was The Chinese Girl that sold the most. Even now it is revered as a classic of 1950s kitsch.

While acknowledging he painted an early version of the picture in Cape Town, Tretchikoff claimed it had been destroyed by vandals and maintained until his death in 2006 that his model came from the U.S.
Experts think that he concealed its true origin through misguided fear of being sued for a portion of its earnings.

But Andrew Lamprecht, who is writing a book on the artist, said: ‘It’s clear as soon as you meet Monika that it’s her.’
And Mrs Pon says the artist privately acknowledged that she was the true Chinese Girl.

Reintroduced in the 1990s, the pair struck up a strong friendship. Pictures of the pair show them laughing together.
Mrs Pon said: ‘When we met, he didn’t recognise me so I told him who I was. He said, “Don’t be silly – you don’t look like her”. I replied, “Do you look the same as you did 40 years ago?”
‘Then I told him how we met and little things that only the true Chinese Girl would know, such as how he liked to dance the jitterbug. That was that. Immediately we were laughing again.’

She added: ‘I’m not boasting but it was my portrait that made Tretchikoff rich. The Chinese Girl was the best thing that ever happened to me in my not-so-nice life.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1OIYh6L4c

rynner2 said:
austen27 said:
I have just been looking for any pictures of the green lady on the web and I can't find any at all! They used to be every where.
Revealed after 60 years... the real Green Lady whose face is on a million living room walls

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1OIYh6L4c
Chinese Girl portrait goes to auction

Vladimir Tretchikoff's original painting of the Chinese Girl, believed to be the world's most reproduced print, is to go on sale in London.
The Russian artist, who died in 2006, claimed that by the end of his career he had sold half a million large-format reproductions of the print worldwide.

The portrait of a young Chinese girl with distinctive green-hued skin and ruby lips could fetch up to £500,000.
The painting will form part of Bonhams' South African art sale on 20 March.

Tretchikoff, who grew up in Russia and Shanghai, eventually settled in South Africa in 1946 and painted the Chinese Girl in Cape Town in 1952.
His model was Monika Sing-Lee, then 17, whom he spotted working at her uncle's launderette in Sea Point, Cape Town.

According to Tretchikoff's biographer Boris Gorelik, the image - also known as the Green Lady - went on to become "one of the most important pop culture icons in Britain and the Commonwealth in the 1950s".
Its popularity led to Tretchikoff being called the "king of kitsch" - a moniker he hated, insisting he was a serious artist.

The painting was brought directly from the artist by a woman in Chicago when Tretchikoff was touring the US in the 1950s. It has remained in the same family for the past 60 years.

"The combination of lustrous golden silk and the blue-sheen of the model's skin combine to produce an otherworldly glow: a luminescence that is the leitmotif of Tretchikoff's best works," said Giles Peppiatt, director of South African Art at Bonhams.
The work will be exhibited in New York and Johannesburg prior to its sale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21195560

rynner2 said:
Vladimir Tretchikoff's original painting of the Chinese Girl, believed to be the world's most reproduced print, is to go on sale in London.
The Russian artist, who died in 2006, claimed that by the end of his career he had sold half a million large-format reproductions of the print worldwide.

The portrait of a young Chinese girl with distinctive green-hued skin and ruby lips could fetch up to £500,000.
The painting will form part of Bonhams' South African art sale on 20 March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21195560
Chinese Girl portrait sale nears £1m mark

Vladimir Tretchikoff's painting of the Chinese Girl, thought to be the world's most reproduced print, has sold at auction in London for £982,050.
The sum, which includes a 12% buyer's premium, was around twice what had been predicted by auction house Bonhams.

It was thought the portrait of a young Chinese girl with green-hued skin and ruby lips would fetch up to £500,000.
It was bought by British businessman and jeweller Laurence Graff and will go on public display in South Africa.
According to a Bonhams representative, the painting will be exhibited, alongside the rest of the diamond retailer's art collection, at the Delaire Graff Estate, near Stellenbosch in the Western Cape.
The sale, the spokesman added, fetched more than double the highest price - £384,000 - previously raised at auction by a Tretchikoff work.

Tretchikoff, who grew up in Russia and Shanghai, eventually settled in South Africa in 1946 and completed the Chinese Girl in Cape Town in 1953.
His model was Monika Sing-Lee, then 17, whom he spotted working at her uncle's launderette in Sea Point, Cape Town.

In his 1973 memoir Pigeon's Luck, the artist said he had put his "heart and soul" into a painting he hoped had "caught the essence of Chinese womanhood".
Its popularity led to Tretchikoff, who died in 2006, being labelled the "king of kitsch" - though his foundation describes him as "the people's painter".

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/posti ... &p=1295041

Funnily enough, that Wings of Love painting featured in 'Abigail's Party', which was on telly the other night.

Back